The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default The Week 14 NFL Quarterback Power Rankings

The Week 14 NFL Quarterback Power Rankings

1. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

Anyone who might be a threat to his throne had a non-stellar week, so Brees could've done anything he wanted and kept the top spot. What he did do, though, was complete 31 of 40 passes for 296 yards, three touchdowns, and no interceptions. No one can accuse Drew Brees of resting on his laurels. It wasn't the smoothest of weeks for the Saints, but again, the job was done. I'd say Brees is one more good week away from wrapping up the number one spot here for good.

2. Phillis Rivers, San Diego Chargers

Rivers' performance against the Cowboys was better than the statistics would show: 21-of-32 for 272 yards, one touchdown and one interception. When the Chargers needed one more score to put the gane away, though, Rivers was all that is woman. He went 4-of-5 for 73 yards on the drive, with a touchdown pass to Antonio Gates(notes) capping it off.

3. Brett Favre, Minnesota Vikings

After a five-week interception dry spell, Favre has now thrown three picks in two weeks. Again, I don't think any kind of major meltdown is coming, but we can't proclaim that it's impossible, either. Favre took a backseat to Adrian Peterson in the Vikings attack this week, but he was still more than adequate in the Vikings' beatdown of the Bengals, going 17-of-30 for 192 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

4. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts

We had some really good stuff from Peyton this week, and some really bad stuff. He started the game like a house of fire, lighting up the Broncos like I asked him to last week. Then he threw three interceptions, two of which were inarguably his own fault. But then, in a game he allowed to get closer than it should have been, he led a quick, beautiful drive that got the Colts the game-sealing touchdown. Again, some good, some bad. Enough bad for a slight drop, but enough good to keep him comfortably in the top five.

5. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles

That's three of the last four weeks now that McNabb has had a QB rating over 100, and he gets bonus points on this last one because it came on the road in a huge divisional game. Bonus points, too, because he's the only quarterback in the league who has to deal with another quarterback coming in and breaking his rhythm at random points in the game.

6. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

Roethlisberger, who has been sacked three more times since I started typing this sentence, didn't have a great outing in the loss to Cleveland. You can tell because the sentence contains the words "loss to Cleveland." Once upon a time, I'd have thought a Roethlisberger vs. Aaron Rodgers(notes) matchup would've been a fun shootout, but who knows what to expect from the Steelers these days.

7. Tony Douchemo, Dallas Failboys

If you'll indulge me, I'd like to use this space to voice an opinion that the Cowboys are not going into some kind of December collapse. They played some pretty damn good football against the Chargers; they just lost to a team that's a little better. Tony Romo has been playing at a high level. And both of those things can continue for the Cowboys, and they can still lose to New Orleans, and it still wouldn't be a December tank-job. It would just be a rough patch of the schedule in a crucial place where the Cowboys aren't getting the bounces. It happens. I think they're about to give the Saints all they can handle.

8. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

I expected Rodgers to have a better day against the Bears, but it wasn't to be. He was average, at best: 16-of-24 for 180 yards, no touchdowns, no picks. The Packers go as Rodgers goes, so they can't afford too many more performances like that if they're going to hold on to a playoff spot.

9. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans

Congratulations, Matt Schaub, you destroyed the Seahawks when you've been all-but-eliminated from the playoffs. I'd like to go on record with this prediction, too: If the Texans keep winning, and somehow it works out that they're playing in Week 17 with a playoff spot on the line ... Schaub will tank. He might as well show up for that game blindfolded and with his wrists welded together, because that's how he'll play.

10. Kyle Orton,THE Denver Broncos

Welcome back, Kyle Orton! In a stunning comeback, Orton returns to the Top 10 for the first time since Week 5. See, dreams do come true. It could happen for you, too, Eli. Orton's strung together three decent weeks in a row, even if none of them have been awe-inspiring.

Noses pressed against the glass:
Jason Campbell, Washington Redskins
Vince Young, Tennessee Titans
Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
Kurt Warner, Arizona Cardinals
Tom Brady, New England Patriots

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,208915
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

That a baby Neck Beard!! Even though he messes up a lot of throws, I still enjoy him more than Cutler hands down.

I know people joke about it, but I wouldn't be against an extension?
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Where's the Jay "I have a stronger arm than superman"?
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Who would have imagined we would see a QB list with Orton above Tom Brady, Jay Cutler and Kurt Warner?
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Kyle Orton 2nd best qb in the AFC West ftw!
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Where's the Jay "I have a stronger arm than superman"?
He's better than Elway. Didn't you know that?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

That's right we are about the 10th best team in the league and will continue to be a little above average team with a little above average QB...
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
That a baby Neck Beard!! Even though he messes up a lot of throws, I still enjoy him more than Cutler hands down.

I know people joke about it, but I wouldn't be against an extension?
Only if it's for 1 and a half years at vet minimum. He should want that deal as he will not find anything better out there.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Black96WS6
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Only if it's for 1 and a half years at vet minimum. He should want that deal as he will not find anything better out there.
I disagree. See Raiders as a team in desperate need of a decent QB for example.
Black96WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
That's right we are about the 10th best team in the league and will continue to be a little above average team with a little above average QB...
please, please be joking with this
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Orton needs to be re-signed. Continuity in the long term is what wins in this league. You may have teams that sprout up and have a good season and then fall off, but the teams that are consistently in the playoffs are the teams with continuity at the QB position, and with the Offensive and Defensive philosophies.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

"**** YOU, KYLE!"
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
please tell me you know more about football than this.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
please tell me you know more about football than this.
Fine, if he gets us to playoffs, we can throw in a case of Jack or something as an incentive bonus.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Since Orton is better than Brady, we should work out a trade. I would take that downgrade any day.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Kyle actually had a really nice game. Not that I advise anyone to watch it again, but it ran on NFLN last night... and he really did make some nice throws. Just one silly throw, but we did end up with the ball back after that.

He played well. A QB generally has to play well to help a QB achieve an all-time NFL record.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I just don't undersand the hate for Orton. I can understand the stupidity of some posters here (Neckbeard? Grow up!). But he has done a pretty good job with this Offense. But some people were just butthurt over Cutler and are just not gonna let it be.

Some dupe wrote in the Mailbag in the Post that McD should be fired and Shanahan brought back. Fired for what? Shanahan ain't coming back. So, why can't people grow up? Are they all teenagers?

He's winning. What else matters? Pretty passes? BS. That sorst of thinking is playground crap. Time to move on for a while.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I just don't undersand the hate for Orton. I can understand the stupidity of some posters here (Neckbeard? Grow up!). But he has done a pretty good job with this Offense. But some people were just butthurt over Cutler and are just not gonna let it be.

Some dupe wrote in the Mailbag in the Post that McD should be fired and Shanahan brought back. Fired for what? Shanahan ain't coming back. So, why can't people grow up? Are they all teenagers?

He's winning. What else matters? Pretty passes? BS. That sorst of thinking is playground crap. Time to move on for a while.....
You don't understand the hate, I don't understand the love. You credit Orton with winning, I credit the team with winning. You say the offense is doing good, I say the numbers show it is by far the weakest of the main 3 parts of the team(defense, offense, special teams). You say Orton is playing great, I say he is making a lot of superstars on this team useless because he is so limited.

You see, people just don't tend to think the same all of the time. I'm not sure why people can't handle this fact. I'm not sure how these people survive in this world and are a part of this country. Your way of thinking is just as much playground crap.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #19
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Orton is doing fine, he is neither overly sucking nor overly making us a frightening offense. Every week I feel like he is a second or two away from being incredible, then the line breaks down and he rushes out a decent pass or gets rid of the ball. He is making good decisions and with a little more time (I admit hes a slower QB) he could be making great decisions.

I agree that our O looks weak at times, but thats not entirely on Orton... its a team game right jhns?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
You don't understand the hate, I don't understand the love. You credit Orton with winning, I credit the team with winning. You say the offense is doing good, I say the numbers show it is by far the weakest of the main 3 parts of the team(defense, offense, special teams). You say Orton is playing great, I say he is making a lot of superstars on this team useless because he is so limited.

You see, people just don't tend to think the same all of the time. I'm not sure why people can't handle this fact. I'm not sure how these people survive in this world and are a part of this country. Your way of thinking is just as much playground crap.
the difference is that the people who are saying Orton is a critical part of this team, are sitting back and enjoying the team winning. Those who want Orton gone simply want this season to end so we can get into free agency/the draft. It's pretty simple really. Some people are rooting for the team and its players to do well....while others want certain players to fail so their opinions look right.

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion...it just gets tiring when week in and week out the same players (Moreno, Orton) get dogged out on here, even when they are playing well.

You constantly claim that guys like Royal and Scheffler are being underutilized and maybe they are. But I can distinctly remember both of these guys dropping balls this year that they weren't last year....maybe that's why the playcalling has headed in a different direction.
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
I agree that our O looks weak at times, but thats not entirely on Orton... its a team game right jhns?
I agree with that. I just think the falloff of guys like Royal is due to Orton. The offense being horrible on 3rd down, in the red zone, and at scoring has a lot to do with the run game as well as Orton.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
the difference is that the people who are saying Orton is a critical part of this team, are sitting back and enjoying the team winning. Those who want Orton gone simply want this season to end so we can get into free agency/the draft. It's pretty simple really. Some people are rooting for the team and its players to do well....while others want certain players to fail so their opinions look right.

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion...it just gets tiring when week in and week out the same players (Moreno, Orton) get dogged out on here, even when they are playing well.

You constantly claim that guys like Royal and Scheffler are being underutilized and maybe they are. But I can distinctly remember both of these guys dropping balls this year that they weren't last year....maybe that's why the playcalling has headed in a different direction.
moreno might be having a mendenhall rookie season. may take him a year or two, but mendenhall is playing damn well now.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post

Riiight. That first paragraph is some random thinking. What evidence do you have of this? You obviously don't hang around me on game days.

I have never had anything but good things to say about Moreno. Shoot, I say good things about everyone but Orton. I think we need some new o-line, but even there I think it is that our good players don't fit the new scheme.

Royal came in and mastered Shanahans complex playbook before his rookie season. He was one of the best route runners on the team. I do not remember him screwing up to the point that they would stop calling plays his way. I do not believe that he can't learn the scheme. I do not believe that he suddenly can't run routes, learn playbooks, and catch balls. These are all things he excelled at as a rookie.

At least Orton and Cutler have removed the Elway shadow. Denver fans used to demand good QB play. Now they settle for mediocre play as long as it's from a nice guy. Me? I'm still of the Elway shadow thinking. The best and most consistent teams are the ones that build complete teams around good QBs, not average ones. I would prefer we keep looking for an above average QB.

If you don't agree with any of this, oh well. I have no say anyways. I am very curious what McDaniels thinks of Orton so far. I think it would be pretty funny at this point if he agrees with me. After the crap I hear from those that just want to defend everything McDaniels.

Last edited by jhns; 12-16-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Old 12-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Riiight. That first paragraph is some random thinking. What evidence do you have of this? You obviously don't hang around me on game days.

I have never had anything but good things to say about Moreno. Shoot, I say good things about everyone but Orton. I think we need some new o-line, but even there I think it is that our good players don't fit the new scheme.

Royal came in and mastered Shanahans complex playbook before his rookie season. He was one of the best route runners on the team. I do not remember him screwing up to the point that they would stop calling plays his way. I do not believe that he can't learn the scheme. I do not believe that he suddenly can't run routes, learn playbooks, and catch balls. These are all things he excelled at as a rookie.

At least Orton and Cutler have removed the Elway shadow. Denver fans used to demand good QB play. Now they settle for mediocre play as long as it's from a nice guy. Me? I'm still of the Elway shadow thinking. The best and most consistent teams are the ones that build complete teams around good QBs, not average ones. I would prefer we keep looking for an above average QB.
And that's where you lose me. Orton is a good QB, what you are talking about is an elite QB, of which there aren't many in the league.

There are a lot of QBs playing at a higher level than Orton right now, maybe as many as 14 or 15, but how many of them are playing their first year in a new system on a new team? I would venture to guess that none of them are (except first-ballot hall of famer and 40-year old, Mr. Favre and I'm not sure that this is truly his first year in the system).

Last edited by misturanderson; 12-16-2009 at 01:01 PM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
please, please be joking with this
Yes, a little tongue in cheek, but the cold hard fact is we are not going to win a super bowl or beat the chargers until we have a QB that can match up with Rivers or Manning. The true franchise QB has the ability to play with a "sense of urgency" when the game is on the line, they want the ball in their hands like Elway did. Orton does not play with that "sense of urgency”.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote