The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default The one missed opportunity that could have won it...

I dont know what the general mood of the board is. Im bummed we lost but Im also extremely proud of how we played today. Football is a game of inches and split seconds and but for a couple of them going our way we could ahve won this game. The score says we lost by 12, but what I saw on the field was a close game and hard fought game by both teams.

The one play we almost made but didn't that could have turned the game into our favor happened on Manning's last drive. Its 3rd and 10 I think, and Dumervil comes off the edge and gets great pressure and nails Manning hard, a split second too late, ball is out and Wayne has a big gain for a first down. Prior to that play, Manning had done squat since the early second quarter. Dumervil gets there a split second earlier and its either a sack, fumble or incomplete and its 4th down and we get the ball back with 7+ minutes down only 5 with all the momentum on our side.

Now Im not blaming Dumervil, nor the defense, nor the offense nor McD for this loss. I don't think there is anyone to blame. Denver just got beat today by a better team but they played them hard and well for most of the game. To beat a team like Indy you have to play near perfect football and we did not. It happens. But what I saw was that we CAN play with and BEAT the Colts if we see them again. Unlike previous ass kickings we have faced, we looked respectable in this game and I'm extremely encouraged by what I saw on the field today.

You may feel differently. You may wish to pass blame on someone on the team for this. That is your right certainly and, you may very well be right. But if you cannot see that this team had no quit in them, that this team looks far far FAR better than any of you expected, then there may not be any hope for you.

Just my opinion. There are 3 games left, all very winnable games, and that will get us into the playoffs. Epic win by the Broncos today, even in a loss.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

It was a frustrating game to watch but Denver played the undefeated Colts pretty well. A young and developing team vs. a well established and playoff calibur team. Kudos to the Broncos for their effort. Down 21 to 0 early and to come back to 21-16 on the road is an accomplishment.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Mcd lost that game for us. Crappy playcalling lost that game. My sister could have figured out we were going run it up the middle.

Wake up McD, use your ****ing brain
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I am bummed because Oakland is playing well. We could very well lose next week.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Orange4Life
Ring of Famer

I know the play you speak of. It was so close I actually cheered for a split second when the ball left his hand I thought Doom had gotten there in time. It really was that close
Orange4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

OAK is playing well. I dont think it will be a easy win
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
I'm more concerned about the Raiders than I am about the Eagles.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

This game was lost in the first 10 minutes, play some D in the first quarter and we have a chance.
KipCorrington25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Our redzone woes did us in. The int in the endzone (Stokes was open) and the missed field goal and that's a 6 point swing. We probably kick the extra point on the second TD and that changes the whole character of the game.

That said I was also proud of how we played. There are no moral victories and this probably means we don't win the division for sure, but we had almost 85 yards in penalties and our defense did more to stop Manning in one game than we'd done in all the previous games combined. And I'm excited about our young safeties.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange4Life View Post
I know the play you speak of. It was so close I actually cheered for a split second when the ball left his hand I thought Doom had gotten there in time. It really was that close
Me too. I thought for sure that was going to be incomplete. But I guess that's why Manning is an all time great.

We took his lunch there for a while. Great effort by the D. We finally tightened it up and dared their WR's to beat our coverage and they couldn't do it. That's how you play Indy. Too bad Nolan didn't do that from the start.

I agree 100% with Alec here. I'm extremely proud of our team.

That said, I thought McD wasted a great effort with some absolutely atrocious playcalling.
BlaK-Argentina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Our redzone woes did us in. The int in the endzone (Stokes was open) and the missed field goal and that's a 6 point swing. We probably kick the extra point on the second TD and that changes the whole character of the game.

That said I was also proud of how we played. There are no moral victories and this probably means we don't win the division for sure, but we had almost 85 yards in penalties and our defense did more to stop Manning in one game than we'd done in all the previous games combined. And I'm excited about our young safeties.
McBath looks great!
BlaK-Argentina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
they are losing 17-10 at home to a terrible Washington team, not sure how that constitutes as well.
BroncoDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
Popps
It's so easy

Good thread Alec.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

There's blame to be delivered for this loss. It's clearly my fault.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post
they are losing 17-10 at home to a terrible Washington team, not sure how that constitutes as well.
Since halftime of our game, Washington is not the terrible team they were early on in the season.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Agreed, this is good thread and I am proud of the team, most especially the defense. To me this game goes on to prove that a game manager with talent far exceeds a game manager in general. Orton is a solid leader and a smart guy who can keep you in a game but he can't win it for you when he's opposed by a better QB. His lack of mobility and physical talent were glaringly apparent today, imo.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone13 View Post
Orton is a solid leader and a smart guy who can keep you in a game but he can't win it for you when he's opposed by a better QB.
You either missed the NE game or you think Orton is a better QB than Brady.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Russell is in the game for Oakland, Gradkowski out injured.

Be awesome if Jamarcus has to play next week.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #19
bombay
Ring of Famer

Excellent summation, Rock.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
You either missed the NE game or you think Orton is a better QB than Brady.

As well as Rivers, Romo, Palmer, little Manning, etc.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I'll actually take it a step further. I, personally, thought we had all the momentum until Manning hit Collie for that first down on their first set of downs on the last drive. It was a 3rd and 8 or something. I had a feeling it was bad news from that point on.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
Mcd lost that game for us. Crappy playcalling lost that game. My sister could have figured out we were going run it up the middle.

Wake up McD, use your ****ing brain
You can use that logic but if the O-Line gets pushed 5 yards into the backfield and can't get a surge to give you a routine, consistent yard on several 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, that's execution, not playcalling. If you remember, that INT at the goal line came on a 3rd and 1 originally that the O-line failed on yet again.... Luckickly (or unluckily) their was a false start on Hochstein and turned a 3rd and 1 into a 3rd and 6. We throw a fade, BMarsh falls and its an easy pick.
That was a common theme today. FAILED short yardage. The only thing I might lay at the feet of Josh is that he has to realise his O0Line lacks the heart and toughness to get the "money" yards. Sure, they do fine in passing situations and the 1st and 10 runs, but when they face the situations where they have to outphysical the player across from them, they are terrible.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Since halftime of our game, Washington is not the terrible team they were early on in the season.
just ask New Orleans how lucky they were to get a win last week against them.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Reid taking off his helmet ****ed us over as well.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I am pretty good, we played the Colts harder than they have been played over the year, we got to Manning and held their offense in check, if our offense executes a little better we take that game in Indy.

Three things were abundantly clear to me:

1. Spencer Larsen is the most important part of our ground game, we have no power game without him.

2. We need to get penalties under control, this time penalties cost at least 3 points and possibly more, we need to be more focused and we need better discipline or we are not going to win a lot of mother****ing games.

3. Red zone sharpness, we need to execute better inside the opposition 40, whenever you make it inside the 40 you should come away with points or your opponents should be backed inside their own 10, turnovers, missed FGs, penalties are all huge buzzkills and we just can't leave that many points and opportunities out there against the best team in the league.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote