The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default So How Do We Fix This Offense?

Look, I know it's fashionable to say the defense is bad, a work in progress, etc. I know we all want better defensive linemen, LB's, safeties, etc.

But we have got to draft offense, or hit the free agent pool. That offense squandered so many opportunities it's ridiculous. I don't know if it's Orton, I don't know if we need better guards or a new center, or what. We obviously don't need a WR. We're probably fine at RB. But our offense is what is limiting this football team, not the defense, at least at this point.

Defense failed to make a play late. I get that. But they handed the offense so many golden opportunities that were just thrown away.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

interior offensive linemen should be priority number 1. Not so much first round pick, that should be where we get a stud defensive player, but put some money up in free agency and go after it the 2nd round on.

Those 3rd and 4th and shorts were pathetic.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Yeah I guess the bright side of this is that we can upgrade the interior line w/o spending a first or maybe even second round pick.

We also need to stop stepping on our own ***** with penalties. Our line outside of Clady just is not good and undisciplined.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

The interior of the OL has been destroyed in all of our losses.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Are you talking about this season, or are you talking about next season?

If you're talking about this season, I think the only "fix" we have for this offense is getting Payton Hillis more invovled. Will that "fix" all of our problems? Probably not. But Payton adds an element to our offense, and as shown by the record breaking catches by Marshall while losing, our offense could use another element.

If I were Royal and Gaffney and Stokely, I wonder how I would be feeling right now?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The interior O-Line is a mess on short yardage.

Moreno didn't play well today, he looks hesitant, but some of those plays he didn't even have a chance.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

1.) Trade back (hopefully the bears pick is top 10).

2.) Draft the best available interior lineman in the low 20's/top of the 2nd. Maybe take a couple in the first 3 rounds.

3.) Take a scat back 4th or 5th rounds that runs well in space, stretches fast defenses (like Indy) and returns kickoffs.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

qb, wr, guard and center
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

weigman is old.

time for an upgrade.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Are you talking about this season, or are you talking about next season?
I'm talking next season for sure, via the draft or free agency. This year we have the team we have, we can't make any major changes.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
1.) Trade back (hopefully the bears pick is top 10).

2.) Draft the best available interior lineman in the low 20's/top of the 2nd. Maybe take a couple in the first 3 rounds.

3.) Take a scat back 4th or 5th rounds that runs well in space, stretches fast defenses (like Indy) and returns kickoffs.
REP awesome post. I would only add that the bears high pick is thanks to Jay Cutler sucking a$$.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think Orton is a dink and dunk QB at best. He'll get you 5yds here and 10yds there consistently. But he won't make any spectacular plays for you. You won't get many 40yd scoring strikes and he sucks in the red zone. He's boring = our offense is boring.

Our offensive line was built for ZBS. McDaniels keeps trying to push the power running game. We do not have the personnel on the inside for that syle of running game...so, why they hell doesn't he play more ZBS? You are not going to pound the ball up the middle with this group....you have to open up the cut back lanes. McDaniels is a damned idiot for continually trying to run it up the gut on 3rd and 1. It's like he trying to prove something. All I see is stupid call by a dumbass coach.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

"We" don't do anything.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I'm talking next season for sure, via the draft or free agency. This year we have the team we have, we can't make any major changes.
No changes this year?!

Peyton Hillis will solve all.

He doesn't need blockers, in fact he considers it an insult if you try and have guys block for him. Did you see that carry he had today. He ripped off those 2 yards like a legit HOF'er.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
No changes this year?!

Peyton Hillis will solve all.

He doesn't need blockers, in fact he considers it an insult if you try and have guys block for him. Did you see that carry he had today. He ripped off those 2 yards like a legit HOF'er.

Hillis needs at least 5 carries to warm up. Most runningbacks need at least that.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I think Orton is a dink and dunk QB at best. He'll get you 5yds here and 10yds there consistently. But he won't make any spectacular plays for you. You won't get many 40yd scoring strikes and he sucks in the red zone. He's boring = our offense is boring.

Our offensive line was built for ZBS. McDaniels keeps trying to push the power running game. We do not have the personnel on the inside for that syle of running game...so, why they hell doesn't he play more ZBS? You are not going to pound the ball up the middle with this group....you have to open up the cut back lanes. McDaniels is a damned idiot for continually trying to run it up the gut on 3rd and 1. It's like he trying to prove something. All I see is stupid call by a dumbass coach.
agree. you need a 15 play perfect drive to score with him. A big reason why the running game sucks is because of the dink a dunk passing game. If we had a qb who teams can worry about beating them, it will help the running game out. I would like to see a qb drafted in round 1 or 2 and a guard or center in round 2 or 3.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
wolverine
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Kirkus

If we try Moreno up the middle on 4th and short again this year, I'm gonna put a bullet in my head.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #18
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Hillis needs at least 5 carries to warm up. Most runningbacks need at least that.
Not Peyton Hillis.

He gets warmed up while he sleeps.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

I'd suggest that we both Offensively and Defensively gameplan for 2 halves of football.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Anybody pointing anywhere BUT QB first on this list is a friggin tard.

1. Orton - Marshall accounted for 21 of the 29 completions Orton had, also 200 of his 277 yards. If you are a sane, knowledgeable fan, you understand that defenses try to stop what you're having success with... so in this case, Bmarsh is exploding, they are probably rolling coverage, matching up 2 or 3 guys to his area to hold him down. Reasonably, this would open up other WR's for one on one coverages and big plays... I think I remember Eddie Royal being a 100 catch WR last season? Right? Well, if that's the case, why didn't this offense have any big plays with those other guys especially considering how banged up the Colts secondary was? Well, it's quite simple. Orton sucks. The other 8 passes were screen plays. His arm is weak, he can't run, and he doesn't trust himself throwing to a WR's unless they are BMarsh or 5 yds open.

The correct answer to this thread is CHANGE THE QB. We need somebody who is dynamic and gives us a chance to succeed, no matter the odds. Ideally that QB would also have an NFL arm and could move a little. I don't think I'm asking too much if I required a little pocket awareness as well.

Orton is a gritty QB but largely average across the board. He's good enough when paired with a great defense to win games for you. Most NFL QB's can. He won't be winning many playoff games and won't get to the super bowl.

2. Play calling/game planning: I love the stretch play against a speed defense, combined with a slow HB. Awesome. Will work every time. This was one of the most poorly called offensive games this year. It's highlighted by the fact that Brandon had what, his first catch with 17 seconds left to go in the first quarter. How bout we get our best players going first and then work in the wrinkles. Football really isn't as hard as the playcalling made it look in the 1st quarter.

3. Interior line: We want to be physical but we're really finesse. It's not going to change overnight and there are many offensive linemen who can fit the mold of what we need. We just need to commit to drafting or signing a few of them each year. LG has been a blackhole in our offense. Hochstein had a Ben Hamilton like day today.

4. Help at HB: Knowshon is a solid player, not the solo answer. McDaniels used him like a workhorse and he did not respond. Yes, this ties into run blocking as well however, he just does not have the drive to push through 1st defenders. He would work much better with a player in the backfield with him. Buckhalter is serviceable but hardly the long term answer. We need to find somebody who has unique skills for this offense but also can do something different vs. Moreno. I would suggest a speed back although I like the kid from Mississippi State this year as well, i think his name is Dixon. He's a good player.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
Mecklomaniac
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Dolbin

Picking up another mediocre qb, to compete with the current mediocre qb's while we wait to draft the next franchise qb....
Mecklomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #22
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Give it a new playbook and a few OL.... problem solved.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #23
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
interior offensive linemen should be priority number 1. Not so much first round pick, that should be where we get a stud defensive player, but put some money up in free agency and go after it the 2nd round on.

Those 3rd and 4th and shorts were pathetic.
I have to agree. We just can't play consistently in all situations in the running game. We get no push. We do pass block well. When we ran the zone blocking scheme in the late 90's/early 00's, we had some exceptional linemen that not only were quick and agile but they could match up individually. It wasn't just some exceptional ability by Terrel Davis in between the tackles but our OL could move people. Not now.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Say it with me, folks.

Stop.

Running.

The.

Same.

Play.

On.

Short.

Yardage.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #25
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Roll View Post
agree. you need a 15 play perfect drive to score with him. A big reason why the running game sucks is because of the dink a dunk passing game. If we had a qb who teams can worry about beating them, it will help the running game out. I would like to see a qb drafted in round 1 or 2 and a guard or center in round 2 or 3.
Exactly. Teams can easily stack the box and use their LB's to run blitz on both 1st and 2nd downs. Against good teams, we don't even attempt to stretch the field.

I heard the announcers say again today that Josh McDaniels said that they wouldn't be able to throw deep because of the Colts 2-deep defense. Man have I heard that alot this year. I don't think I've ever heard that type of statement, until this year. I wonder why?

I think we need an up and coming Center in next years draft and a talented guard as well. I think Kuper has what it takes.

It's amazing how this line was the talk of the NFL both last year and through the first 6 games of this year and all of a sudden fans are saying our line sucks. Why?

1. Orton - Teams stack the line
2. ZBS - All but gone in McDaniel's offense
3. Power Running Game - This line is not built for it.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote