The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think Orton is the long term answer at QB for the Broncos?
Yes, McD has shown he can coach him up and he will be fine in our system 38 24.68%
No, he doesn't have sufficient up side for the Broncos to be an elite team year in and year out. 32 20.78%
I need more time to make this call 26 16.88%
We will sign Orton and draft a QB that thinks he can have ready in 2011 58 37.66%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default Do we need to draft a QB in April?

After watching Orton for 11 games now do you think he is the QB for Denver going forward because if Josh doesn't think so he will not wait to find the guy he thinks is the long term Denver QB.

Poll coming.....
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

QBs take time to develop. I hope the QB of the future is Brandstater or maybe a FA.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

It really all depends on what McD thinks of Brandstater's progress so far. I think he'd be okay with letting Orton steer the ship for the next two or so years until T$ is ready to take over, assuming McD thinks he is the real deal. I still wouldn't be surprised to see us draft another QB late this year as depth and insurance, as I don't think Simms will be back.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
It really all depends on what McD thinks of Brandstater's progress so far. I think he'd be okay with letting Orton steer the ship for the next two or so years until T$ is ready to take over, assuming McD thinks he is the real deal. I still wouldn't be surprised to see us draft another QB late this year as depth and insurance, as I don't think Simms will be back.
We can only hope...

I think Orton is doing okay, but he has probably reached his potential. If we're going to get a real franchise QB to build around we need to draft one this year or next.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
KS Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steven Johnson

I think the reason cassettesel flourished last year was because of his experience with mcd's system. i think one more year and orton is gonna surprise us even more.
KS Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

No.

They gave up 2 picks for Brandstater last year, he was targeted by McD for some reason. Unless he's totally **** the bed in practice, I have a hard time seeing them move in a different direction so quickly. Orton is serviceable for next year and Brandstater will get another year of development. Ask this question next year.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

That depends on whether or not has Locker declared for the draft.
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I don't think McDaniel’s will draft a QB unless one falls to us in in a late round. I think he is pleased with Orton’s progress and also with where Branstater is at. Too much risk in drafting a 1st round Ob, paying him big bucks and watching him fail.......That being said, I don't think we will ever be an elite team again until we have the elite OB....
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Meh .......... seriously doubt it ........... Remember when Bledsoe went down , Brady who ? then Castle ........
I think there is something to this McD system ...........give orton time see what happens
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
DrFate
Lord of Order

You only get so far with re-treads. Draft a quality signal caller...
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

well I chose "We will sign Orton and draft a QB that thinks he can have ready in 2011" but I don't really think it will be for 2011, I think it is because we really only have 2 options right now at QB. Simms needs to go, so I think we draft one for depth and grooming but not necessarily to get Orton out of there. Orton wins, I don't see why we need to mess with that personally.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I'd like to see an honest competition between Orton and Brandstatter in the offseason. We probably will need to draft another project quarterback to replace Simms. I doubt we draft someone high unless there is a top-tier guy that falls right to us. I can't imagine Simms being invited back next year. The problem is Orton will need a new contract.

I think the bigger question is this: Do we pay Orton what it will take to keep him here? I'd like to, but honestly I'd rather spend the money on Dumervil, Kuper, and Marshall (if he can keep his **** together).
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm 99% convinced that we will not use a high draft pick on a "franchise qb" in this draft (unless Orton implodes down the stretch). With that being said, I could see a mid-round pick if McD doesn't think Brandstater is capable, which is really tough for us to know. I have no doubt that McD will have someone waiting in the wings in case Orton is either injured or if he does not continuously improve (ie. I doubt McD would be happy if the offense puts up similar numbers in 2010 as they have this year).
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think we'll draft a QB to replace Simms.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

in my opinion there are no guys worth taking....i might get trashed for saying that but I really dont like Bradford, McCoy, Clausen, etc...
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Lets see how Orton does getting the Broncos to the playoffs. If the Broncos make the playoffs, lets see how Orton performs in the playoffs.

There's still a lot of football to be played.

I real NFL QB earns his stripes in the post season.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I wouldn't pass on a kid named Tom Brady in the sixth round. But seriously, folks...

I believe that McD is an excellent judge of QBs. I wouldn't want to see us draft one on the first day, but I expect to see a QB picked on the second.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #18
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
i think brandstater gets first crack at that position. if we can get him late, mallett would be interesting but i can't see him lasting til day 2.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Drafting a QB strictly depends on what Mcdaniels thinks about Brandstater and if we resign Orton.

I think we will draft a QB regardless, but under what circumstances I think is still very much uncertain. If Mcdaniels likes Brandstater as a future backup or more and Orton resigns then there is no reason to draft a QB before the 2nd day of the draft. On the other hand if Brandstater is not progressing or Orton doesn't resign then a QB on day is almost a given.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
i think brandstater gets first crack at that position. if we can get him late, mallett would be interesting but i can't see him lasting til day 2.
Mcdaniels I think will carry 3 QBs on the roster so even with Simms out of here we will need an emergency guy.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think we will sign one with experience if we stick with Orton as our starter.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Lets see how Orton does getting the Broncos to the playoffs. If the Broncos make the playoffs, lets see how Orton performs in the playoffs.

There's still a lot of football to be played.

I real NFL QB earns his stripes in the post season.
This.

As of now, I would like to see another QB brought in. I do not think Orton is the answer and I have no clue what some people are watching when they hype him. To be a complete team, we need a QB. Orton could turn into that guy but he hasn't shown it yet. We have good to great players at every offensive position other than QB and we are not getting results. This offense should be near the top of the league, not the bottom...
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #23
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I voted to keep him long term.

Playing his first year in a complex new system for a franchise that was totally revamped in the offseason; he’s done well IMO. Plus, the guy played with a glove on his throwing hand because of a busted index finger, and now he’s playing on a gimpy ankle. Things like that easily hamper a QB’s play, but we haven’t suffered because of it. Sure, he’s not perfect, but it’s unreasonable to say we’ll just go out and replace him with a franchise QB, as if they’re sitting on supermarket shelves waiting to be bought. Build around the guy while he continues to learn the system, and focus on other areas that need attention.

He has far exceeded everyone’s expectations, and has outplayed circles on our former QB. We’re 8-4 with the guy; it’s unfortunate he gets treated the way Jake Plummer was. He doesn’t win pretty sometimes, but he wins. And if it’s because the team wins in spite of him, then keep him anyway, because the team couldn’t win in spite of, or because of, guys like Brian Griese and Jay Cutler. Whatever the formula is, it works.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #24
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Orton has pretty much been the QB by default since the trade.

He is what he's always been. A game manager with little pocket presence who also happens to be immobile.

I don't have any issue with drafting someone on Day 2 in April.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #25
cartel
Solid Starter

For the win!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

orton has played 1 yr in the system and some already know he is not the qb for the future. this is laughable, i'll put money down he's our qb for the next 2 yrs and puts up way better numbers than this year. we'll draft another qb in the later round for competition but i think mcd just keeps two next year since orton and tom should be comfortable with his system.
cartel is offline   Reply With Quote