The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default How about Broncos' McDaniels for NFL coach of the year?

How about Broncos' McDaniels for NFL coach of the year?

By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/09/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

For everybody who cursed this young football coach for trading Jay Cutler, condemned his draft picks as madness or demanded he be fired before his first game on the Broncos' sideline, it's time to consider calling Josh McDaniels a new name:

NFL coach of the year.

Hey, you got a better candidate?

No coach anywhere in the league, from Sean Payton in New Orleans to Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, has done a better job at maximizing his team's potential than McDaniels.

Kid McD wears his heart on his hoodie, and Denver players love him for it.

From the Pearl Jam booming out of loudspeakers at practice to his fist pumps in celebration of victory, the rookie coach has stamped his fiery personality on the NFL's surprise team of the season.

Anybody still think firing Mike Shanahan was a bad idea?

Whether a petulant quarterback throws a fit or a star receiver goes postal at practice, when his Broncos lose four straight or injury forces shuffling in the Denver offensive line, all McDaniels keeps trying to do is win the freakin' game.

The goal doesn't change, even if the next challenge is Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts, who are shooting for undefeated immortality.

"My big focus this week is beating them because it'd mean we're 9-4. I think that's the most important thing for me and our team," McDaniels said. "If in some way it can derail history, then it is what it is."

Want to know how it really is?

Denver can no more forget the success of Shanahan than Broncomaniacs will ever stop loving John Elway.

But pull off an upset at Indianapolis, the place where Shanahan's mystique as a mastermind was ripped to shreds more than once by Manning, and McDaniels forever and always buries the ghost of his predecessor as coach.

Impossible? In 12 games on the job, McDaniels already has achieved what couldn't be done.

Wasn't this the team destined to gift-wrap a top-five draft pick for Chicago because the Broncos were doomed to have one of the worst records in the league and McDaniels didn't know what he was doing with his personnel moves?

Isn't this the same young coach that the NFL Network's Jamie Dukes insisted players could not trust?

Anybody who dares to be different is going to be regarded as nuts before hearing applause for vision and courage. I was dingy enough to campaign for the trade of Cutler and sufficiently dippy to believe drafting Knowshon Moreno was smart, but when the Broncos began to take frustrations out on teammates in public displays of disaffection during a four- game losing streak, it seemed to me the young coach had lost control.

McDaniels, however, refused to surrender to doubt, proved me wrong and kept this crazy dream alive.

We're talking playoffs? With unwanted Kyle Orton at quarterback and 5-foot-11 Elvis Dumervil the big man on defense? That alone should qualify McDaniels as a legit candidate to be coach of the year.

To miss the playoffs now, the Broncos would have to blow it. Of course, at this time a year ago, Shanahan was looking as smug as a coach for life, and we all know how that ended.

There certainly is danger of more whoa, whoa, whoa than ho, ho, ho on the December schedule again this year, with tough trips to Indy and Philadelphia, and what sets up to be the classic trap game against Oakland in the middle of the franchise's push to its first postseason berth in four years.

So it's far from a lock McDaniels will be named the most outstanding coach of the year. There's work to be done.

But name me an NFL coach who has turned more heads this year. If nothing else, McDaniels is good theater.

Denver had lost its football identity and its status as an elite league team. To be brutally honest, the Broncos were boring.

You know what brash, fiery Kid McD has given back to this franchise, with every pump of his fist and bleepin' demand for excellence?

Mojo.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13956739
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If he gets Broncos in playoffs he probably comes in 2nd. NO just kicking ass, Caldwell undefeated but has manning, I don't know it will be tough choice.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

The way the Broncos Defense and Saints Defenses are playing I'd think that Mike Nolan and Greg Williams would be more worthy... if they were eligible. If you're going to put Payton up there then you probably need to put Caldwell up there too.

I can tell you three people it won't be and that makes me happy... Tomlin, BB, or Tom Cable. Can't stand Cable or BB and Tomlin's team isn't getting it done.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Did someone say Mojo?!

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Caldwell.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
Did someone say Mojo?!

I'm hilife, and I approve this message.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Good thing newspapers have layers of fact checkers and editors. Who knew that Chicago has our first round pick instead of Seattle?

Coach of the year? Not yet.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Did someone say Mojo?!

Pretty their soooo Pretty
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...t=83250&page=3
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
DrFate
Lord of Order

This is a silly argument. I can't see anyone else even getting votes. This team was 'an expansion team', according to most in the pre-season.

Even winning 10 games - they ought to name the thing after Sparky.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The way the offense has performed, I wouldnt exactly say he has maximized his talent. The defense on the other hand has been a pleasant surprise. If you want to give him the award for bringing in Nolan and some other guys on defense, ok. But you look at what was inherited on offense and its hard to say that its been maximized.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Wasn't this the team destined to gift-wrap a top-five draft pick for Chicago because the Broncos were doomed to have one of the worst records in the league and McDaniels didn't know what he was doing with his personnel moves?
Awesome. Seriously, wtf. 90% of people on the internet bull****ting could have wrote a more informed article.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
The way the offense has performed, I wouldnt exactly say he has maximized his talent. The defense on the other hand has been a pleasant surprise. If you want to give him the award for bringing in Nolan and some other guys on defense, ok. But you look at what was inherited on offense and its hard to say that its been maximized.
If you evaluate the guy on the results (wins/losses) vs. what was expected - it's a run away.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The only way that McDaniels enters the conversation is if both New Orleans or Indi struggle down the stretch. Otherwise, wouldn't it have to be Caldwell or Peyton? Neither team was expected to be as good as they have been... Particularly New Orleans.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Wasn't this the team destined to gift-wrap a top-five draft pick for Chicago* because the Broncos were doomed to have one of the worst records in the league and McDaniels didn't know what he was doing with his personnel moves?
*Seattle.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Caldwell? What the hell has Caldwell done? He stands on the sidelines and watches Payaton run the team. Hell, I could do that.

Sean Peyton is the only competition.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Did someone say Mojo?!

Me likey

One reason McD may not get the CoTY award is because of the off season. It can reasonably be argued that McD created a bad situation when he listened to trade proposals for Castle. This started the cascading effect of a tumultuous off season. It can also be "reasonably" argued that the Broncos would be unstoppable with baby jay slinging the ball.

So, I can see the East Coast Bias working against McD because he created a crater from which he dug himself out of... just say'n.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Caldwell? What the hell has Caldwell done? He stands on the sidelines and watches Payaton run the team. Hell, I could do that.

I think Caldwell will definitely get it if the Colts stay undefeated. A reasonable argument can be made that Caldwell is a great coach because he kept the team on track, even though the Colts franchise went through a lot of changes this off season. Anyone remember Manning's hissy fit this off season?

A good coach knows what needs to be changed and what needs to be maintained in order to make the team better. The Colts are a better team than last year and you have to respect that. Plus, Caldwell is a minority so that certainly garners more attention.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Me likey

One reason McD may not get the CoTY award is because of the off season. It can reasonably be argued that McD created a bad situation when he listened to trade proposals for Castle. This started the cascading effect of a tumultuous off season. It can also be "reasonably" argued that the Broncos would be unstoppable with baby jay slinging the ball.

So, I can see the East Coast Bias working against McD because he created a crater from which he dug himself out of... just say'n.
If by "reasonable" you mean bat**** crazy, sure.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Obviously if either NO or Indy go undefeated their coach wins it. McD needs at least 11 wins, and more likely the divisional crown to topple the other coaches, regardless.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #21
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
It can reasonably be argued that McD created a bad situation when he listened to trade proposals for Castle. This started the cascading effect of a tumultuous off season. It can also be "reasonably" argued that the Broncos would be unstoppable with baby jay slinging the ball.
I think Jay's performance this year really nullifies that argument. If Jay was having a great year, I think there would be a lot more being said in the media about how good we would be if only we still had Jay. I remember Jason Whitlock making this argument when we were 6-0. According to Whitlock at the time, we'd be "legitimate Super Bowl contenders" with Cutler running the show.

However, since Jay has tanked, I think that sentiment has disappeared. Even Whitlock was "tweeting" during the Chiefs game about how good Orton looked. He said he thought the Broncos could do some damage in the playoffs with Orton at the helm. So, I think that sentiment has been abolished.

Your argument is still valid, though. Before McD came on board, the Broncos expectations would have been to make the playoffs, and that's pretty much exactly what he's achieved. I think he's done a great job, but when there are teams that could go undefeated, it's hard to make a legit argument for him. If we do somehow win the division, that will definitely help his chances...
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #22
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I think McDaniels would have to get this team to the Super Bowl for him to be seriously considered. Payton, Caldwell, or Childress will get the award...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sean Peyton has this locked up. McDaniels has been good but they had just one more win than us last year. They have done much better than this team this year. He took that team from garbage to great in no time. If NO loses a few down the stretch, McDaniels will enter this conversation.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #24
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

And he is very stiff competition for sure...
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #25
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Agree on both statements (2 out 3 anyway) and I couldn't do what Caldwell is doing.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote