The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who has been the most "surprisingly successful" player?
Andre Goodman - 4 ints; solid #2 cb on the league's 2nd ranked pass defense 7 7.37%
Renaldo Hill - "quarterback of the secondary" 9 9.47%
Mario Haggan - leads the team in Tackles For Loss with 9 11 11.58%
Andre Davis - 3rd on the team in tackles with 72 15 15.79%
DJ Williams - leads the team in tackles (16th overall in the NFL @ 89) 3 3.16%
Darrel Reid - 2nd on the team with 4 sacks 1 1.05%
Ronald Fields / Kenny Peterson / Ryan McBean - more than anyone expected 36 37.89%
Correll Buckhalter - 788 yards from scrimmage (only 82 yards behind Knowshon) 8 8.42%
Matt Prater - received numerous honors this year 3 3.16%
Lonie Paxton - Oh, those long snaps, what a sight to see! 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default "Under the Radar Players"... A poll!

As we come down the homestretch of the season, fighting for a playoff birth (which is all I really think any Bronco fan could have asked for this year), I've been thinking about all of the "under the radar" guys on this team that have contributed to this awesome year. This board has been filled with discussions of guys like Doom, Marshall, Orton, Clady, Dawkins, Moreno etc, and they all have done a lot to put us in position to possibly make the playoffs. But, in my opinion, the season has really been defined by the success of some players that fans may not have given a lot of thought to (or thought very highly of) coming into the year.

You may question my decision to leave off Kyle Orton... I personally think he's been the most pleasant surprise this year (well - maybe Doom), but he's also been discussed to death, and I fear that this would disintegrate into an argument about him. This is really about honoring those Broncos who haven't gotten a ton of recognition on this board this year...

So, without further ado, a poll to determine which "under the radar" player has delivered the most surprisingly successful performance of the year (so far). This is not really who has had the best year, but who has most exceeded your expectations. In addition to your poll vote, it would also be interesting to see a ranking (perhaps 1-3) of the top 3 performers in your opinion.

The candidates:

- Andre Goodman - 4 ints, a fumble recovery for a touchdown, and has been a solid #2 cb on the league's 2nd ranked pass defense. Worlds better than Dre Bly (in my humble opinion)

- Renaldo Hill - According to Brian Dawkins, Hill is the "quarterback of the secondary". He is 5th on the team in tackles with 50, has 2 ints, a forced fumble, and seems to always be in the right place at the right time.

- Mario Haggan - What an unexpectedly good player! Many thought his ascension to #1 on the depth chart was a motivational ploy. 6th on the team in tackles with 45, leads the team in Tackles For Loss with 9, 3 forced fumbles, and seems to be exceptional against the run.

- Andre Davis - So much more left in the tank than we were led to believe. An intimidating presence in the middle of the field on 1st and 2nd down. 3rd on the team in tackles with 72. 3.5 sacks. 2nd on the team with 8 Tackles for Loss.

- DJ Williams - After yet another position change, he leads the team in tackles (16th overall in the NFL @ 89), and has also been a surprisingly effective blitzer with 3.5 sacks. Also has 2 forced fumbles.

- Darrel Reid - 2nd on the team with 4 sacks. He doesn't seem to be playing OLB (like was suggested by the staff when he was brought to town), but he is a disruptive presence on 3rd down and on special teams.

- Ronald Fields / Kenny Peterson / Ryan McBean - Might not be fair to these guys to group them together, but separating them seemed a little silly to me. The most maligned unit coming into the season, they have been solid, which is more than anyone expected. Is it just me, or is our run defense a lot better with McBean playing?

- Correll Buckhalter - Who knew he was this explosive? Certainly not TheRev. 563 rushing yards (at 5.4 YPA) + 225 receiving yards, for a total of 788 yards from scrimmage (only 82 yards behind Knowshon).

- Matt Prater - Many people questioned McD for not brining in competition, but Prater is quietly coming into his own. Has received numerous honors this year, and besides one bad game (Cleveland, in swirling winds), has been a clutch performer. Game winning overtime kick vs. New England; 2 big kicks in the Cinci win.

- Lonie Paxton - A poem: Oh, those long snaps, what a sight to see! Spiraling backwards accurate-ly. Maligned you were, perhaps fairly. You've "soldiered on" long-snapping with nobility.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Renaldo Hill
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

I can't vote DJ Williams just because I don't see him as under the radar....

I'm gonna go with Haggan...in all honesty, I expected this type of play from HIll, Goodman and Davis...in my eyes they were all brought in here to start and to contribute big time...Goodman perhaps had the toughest task because every other guy we brought in here to play opposite of Bailey flamed out and was exposed (thanks for the memories Lenny Walls)

Haggan is constantly involved in plays.....and he is rarely ever mentioned on the board or during the games....
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Wesly Woodyard has been all over the place this season. Putting pressure on the QB, making all kinds of key stops.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm going with:

1. Andre Goodman
2. Andra Davis
3a. Mario Haggan
3b. Matt Prater
3c. Ronald Fields / Kenny Peterson / Ryan McBean
Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Andre Davis? WTF! How does any Bronco fan make that gaffe?
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Wesly Woodyard has been all over the place this season. Putting pressure on the QB, making all kinds of key stops.
Suppose I should have added him. Sorry about that.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Goodman is hardly a surprise being that he was a proven commodity before he got here. He led the Dolphins last season with five interceptions. The Broncos paid him $9.8 million in guaranteed money to come here. This is what Goodman was supposed to do.

Same goes with Andra Davis. He showed he was a capable backer with the Browns for many years.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The big fellas up front deserve the most credit for this 3-4 defense. They have been more than anyone here could have expected.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Woodyard!!!!
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Tough to put a finger on, many of your candidates are good selections.

I think Andre Davis has been key in the games where we've had success--a lot of our success has been predicated on stopping the run and putting opposing teams in tough 3rd down situations.

Renaldo has saved a few big plays, most recently the gadget play that Haley drew up against Denver this past Sunday.

Reid and Haggan are better than advertised, and are both key ST contributors.

But I think you have to give the ultimate surprise performance to our 3 men upfront, all composed of castoffs or 2nd-rate players. They've performed really beyond anything I could have expected in our victories, although it looked like they may have been exploited in the losing streak. Tough to know how key a health McBean is, but since he's been back things have improved markedly.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

HILLIS! He's so under the radar because McD needs to justify his pick and keep knowshon in there! Also, because he's white!

/BroncoFan7'd
Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I voted Haggan. I didn't even know who he was before the season. He also isn't talked about much. Fields is a close second. I questioned him being the starting NT before the season. He has done great. Buckhalter is a surprise because in the sense that I never expected him to last this long. He was constantly injured.

Most the rest of those are not surprises. Davis, Goodman, and Hill were brought in to start. They have played better than I expected but it isn't a big surprise that they are playing good. They also get their props from reporters and anouncers all the time. Prater is young so I expected him to improve. DJ has been a stud and nothing has changed. He is anything but under the radar. Everyone knows who DJ is and what he contributes. Paxton replaced one of the best long snappers in the game and was paid a rediculous salary for a long snapper. I had never followed him before but my expectations will stay very high for him.

Last edited by jhns; 12-08-2009 at 11:59 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB52 View Post
Andre Davis? WTF! How does any Bronco fan make that gaffe?
Are you ridiculing my spelling error of his name (Andra vs Andre)? Or his inclusion on the list?

If it's the former, well, I apologize for the egregious mistake.
If it's the latter, I heard A TON about how he was over the hill, well past his prime, and flat out bad (if a team as bad as Cleveland was willing to let him go). He has been flying all over the field, not unlike Dawkins.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
Are you ridiculing my spelling error of his name (Andra vs Andre)?
It's confusing when you misspell his name because the Browns used to have Andra Davis (Florida) and Andre Davis (Virginia Tech) on the team at the same time.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I think Andre Davis has been key in the games where we've had success--a lot of our success has been predicated on stopping the run and putting opposing teams in tough 3rd down situations.
Go **** yourself!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Go **** yourself!
Wow, the spelling nazi has arrived. Thank you sir, may I have another?!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Lonie Paxton - Oh, those long snaps, what a sight to see! LMAO!
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Wow, the spelling nazi has arrived. Thank you sir, may I have another?!
I don't care about people misspelling words, but ****ing up a defensive starter's name in week 14 is inexcusable. It's disrespectful to Andra.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #20
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

i think Andre Davis was a huge part of our season this year...
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #21
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Goodman is hardly a surprise being that he was a proven commodity before he got here. He led the Dolphins last season with five interceptions. The Broncos paid him $9.8 million in guaranteed money to come here. This is what Goodman was supposed to do.

Same goes with Andra Davis. He showed he was a capable backer with the Browns for many years.
I can see what you were saying, and agree somewhat. But, they were supposed to be "stop gaps" at best. Even more - a lot of people in the media argued that they were both over the hill, and not necessarily upgrades over previous players. Instead, they are key cogs in the #3 ranked defense in the NFL. It's unreal to me.

As a fan, I guess I was influenced by the negative perceptions. Clearly, the FO thought highly of them both (as evidenced by their contracts, Goodman's in particular), so you are right that this was somewhat expected. I've just been blown away by how good both guys look.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
I can see what you were saying, and agree somewhat. But, they were supposed to be "stop gaps" at best. Even more - a lot of people in the media argued that they were both over the hill, and not necessarily upgrades over previous players. Instead, they are key cogs in the #3 ranked defense in the NFL. It's unreal to me.

As a fan, I guess I was influenced by the negative perceptions. Clearly, the FO thought highly of them both (as evidenced by their contracts, Goodman's in particular), so you are right that this was somewhat expected. I've just been blown away by how good both guys look.
You're right, both Goodman and Davis have played at a Pro Bowl level this season. They have outplayed what was expected of them in the preseason. I am stuffing the Pro Bowl ballot boxes for both of them. I suggest you do the same.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

There are plenty of good choices, but I went with Goodman. He was expected to be the weak link in that secondary, and he's been a pleasant surprise...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i gotta give the love to Haggan. this guy was deemed as nothing more than ST help, and backup in Shanahan's defense. suddenly, he is a damn good 3-4 starter for us and is playing awesome.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #25
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

That is tough but I chose Buck because so many people were flipping out that we signed him in the off season and he is just crushing when he has been ont he field
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote