The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default The Playoff Picture (For Dummies)

I see a lot of people saying if we lose to Indy, our playoff hopes are over.

Folks, let me explain something to you. Denver is not the only, team in the hunt with tough games left. ANd none of the other teams in the hunt look other-wordly and unbeatable (Indy isn't a team in the hunt, their playoff's are secured).

WIth that said here's what it looks like.

#1 Indy (12-0)
#2 Cincy (9-3)
#3 San Diego (9-3)
#4 New England (7-5)
#5 Denver (8-4)
#6 Jacksonville (7-5)


(In order of next in line for a WC spot)
Baltimore Ravens (6-5)
Miami Dolphins (6-6)
NY Jets (6-6)
Pittsburgh Steelers (6-6).


For all teams NOT clinching playoff spots (Everyone but Indy) at this point, let's break down the schedules:

Cincinnati (9-3: Projected Record 11-5)
@ Minnesota
@ San Diego
Kansas City
@ New York Jets

San Diego (9-3: Projected Record 12-4)
@ Dallas
Cincinnati
@ Tennessee
Washington

New England (7-5: Projected Record 10-6)
Carolina
@ Buffalo
Jacksonville
@ Houston

Denver (8-4: Projected Record: 12-4 **** you Im a homer deal with it)
@ Indianapolis
Oakland
@ Philadelphia
Kansas City

Jacksonville (7-5: Projected Record 9-7)
Miami
Indianapolis
@ New England
Cleveland

Baltimore (6-5: Projected Record 9-7)
@ Green Bay
Detroit
Chicago
@ Pittsburgh
Oakland

Miami (6-6: Projected Record 7-9)
@ Jacksonville
@ Tennessee
Houston
Pittsburgh

New York Jets (6-6: Projected Record 8-8)
@ Tampa Bay
Atlanta
@ Indianapolis
Cincinnati

Pittsburgh (6-6: Projected Record 9-7)
@ Cleveland
Green Bay
Baltimore
@ Miami




Look, every team in the wildcard hunt below Denver has 1) A Worse record by at least a game, everyone but Baltimore has a 2 game worse record and 2) Is going to lose at least one more. You can all but eliminate Miami, Jets, Pittsburgh as they will all finish no better than 9-7. Baltimore likely wont finish better than 9-7 but they could go on a tear and finish 11-5. Even if they finish 11-5 (the best they can finish), Denver will still make the playoffs with a loss to Indy and finishing 11-5 on the season. Jacksonville is currently sitting in the 6th spot but with 3 tough games in a row before ending with Cleveland, its unlikely that they finish better than 9-7 and could finish 8-8.

Denver (realistically) is probably going to finish 11-5, or 10-6 but that probably is going to be enough to get them in the playoffs anyway. Everyone is worried about Baltimore and Pittsburgh but neither of those teams has looked all that great (outside of their games against us).

For Denver to win the division, the INDY game is a must win, as is every game remaining on our schedule and we need some help from San Diego. With tough games against Dallas, Cincy and Tennessee.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,102

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

I still don't get it....
vancejohnson82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,706

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

If anyone actually believes the Broncos are out of the playoffs, they don't make the playoffs, they must be the same geniuses clinging that Cutler is a franshise QB and McDaniels should be fired.

If the Broncos win both remaining home games, which they ahould against the Raiders and Chiefs, then that's 10 wins and probably enough to clinch at least a Wild Card.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

good job Alec ............
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS
 
dbfan21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wichita
Posts: 2,176

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Nice work. Even if the Broncos split their final four, I can see them making the playoffs as a wild card. However, I have a good feeling about this Colts game. Not sure why, just a hunch.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
Nice work. Even if the Broncos split their final four, I can see them making the playoffs as a wild card. However, I have a good feeling about this Colts game. Not sure why, just a hunch.
same here ............ Bring on the freaking colts
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,502

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

San Diego could lose all four of those games.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

First let me say, it's a good think you communicate with dummies so well. I guess that comes with lots of practice and of course being one helps to bridge that gap.

Second, who has said that if we lose to the Colts our playoff hopes are over? You say a lot of people, point me in their direction. I want to know who the other dummies are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I see a lot of people saying if we lose to Indy, our playoff hopes are over.

Folks, let me explain something to you. Denver is not the only, team in the hunt with tough games left. ANd none of the other teams in the hunt look other-wordly and unbeatable (Indy isn't a team in the hunt, their playoff's are secured).

WIth that said here's what it looks like.

#1 Indy (12-0)
#2 Cincy (9-3)
#3 San Diego (9-3)
#4 New England (7-5)
#5 Denver (8-4)
#6 Jacksonville (7-5)


(In order of next in line for a WC spot)
Baltimore Ravens (6-5)
Miami Dolphins (6-6)
NY Jets (6-6)
Pittsburgh Steelers (6-6).


For all teams NOT clinching playoff spots (Everyone but Indy) at this point, let's break down the schedules:

Cincinnati (9-3: Projected Record 11-5)
@ Minnesota
@ San Diego
Kansas City
@ New York Jets

San Diego (9-3: Projected Record 12-4)
@ Dallas
Cincinnati
@ Tennessee
Washington

New England (7-5: Projected Record 10-6)
Carolina
@ Buffalo
Jacksonville
@ Houston

Denver (8-4: Projected Record: 12-4 **** you Im a homer deal with it)
@ Indianapolis
Oakland
@ Philadelphia
Kansas City

Jacksonville (7-5: Projected Record 9-7)
Miami
Indianapolis
@ New England
Cleveland

Baltimore (6-5: Projected Record 9-7)
@ Green Bay
Detroit
Chicago
@ Pittsburgh
Oakland

Miami (6-6: Projected Record 7-9)
@ Jacksonville
@ Tennessee
Houston
Pittsburgh

New York Jets (6-6: Projected Record 8-8)
@ Tampa Bay
Atlanta
@ Indianapolis
Cincinnati

Pittsburgh (6-6: Projected Record 9-7)
@ Cleveland
Green Bay
Baltimore
@ Miami




Look, every team in the wildcard hunt below Denver has 1) A Worse record by at least a game, everyone but Baltimore has a 2 game worse record and 2) Is going to lose at least one more. You can all but eliminate Miami, Jets, Pittsburgh as they will all finish no better than 9-7. Baltimore likely wont finish better than 9-7 but they could go on a tear and finish 11-5. Even if they finish 11-5 (the best they can finish), Denver will still make the playoffs with a loss to Indy and finishing 11-5 on the season. Jacksonville is currently sitting in the 6th spot but with 3 tough games in a row before ending with Cleveland, its unlikely that they finish better than 9-7 and could finish 8-8.

Denver (realistically) is probably going to finish 11-5, or 10-6 but that probably is going to be enough to get them in the playoffs anyway. Everyone is worried about Baltimore and Pittsburgh but neither of those teams has looked all that great (outside of their games against us).

For Denver to win the division, the INDY game is a must win, as is every game remaining on our schedule and we need some help from San Diego. With tough games against Dallas, Cincy and Tennessee.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
I still don't get it....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
DeuceOfClub
 
DeuceOfClub's Avatar
 
SuperBowl

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indian Rocks Beach
Posts: 1,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

So, what you're saying is that if we lose to the Colts we have no chance of making the playoff?


DeuceOfClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,794
Default

Aside from Denver's own games, and hoping, of course, that San Diego loses as many as possible, here are the key games:

Tonight: A no-brainer. Pull for the Packers over the Ravens. A Packer win insures that we won't see a scenario where the Broncos go 10-6, but get edged out by Pittsburgh and Baltimore (because they still have to play each other)


Next week:

Miami at Jacskonville. A Miami win here would be great for the Broncos, because it woud force the Jags to beat both Indianapolis and New England (and Cleveland) to get to 10-6.

Nice thing is that even if Miami gets on a roll and finishes 10-6, that would have to include a win over the Steelers, which would gurantee that Pittsburgh finishes no better than 9-7.

Not too worried about the Jets. They have one of the easist remaining schedules, but 5 of their 6 losses have been to AFC teams. If Denver can beat the Raiders and Chiefs at home, then they automatically trump the Jets (unless the Jets somehow win that division - but in that case, the Pats could finish no better than 10-6 and Denver owns that tiebreaker due to the overtime win.)

It's simple. Beat Oakland and KC and there's a 90% chance we're in.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,502

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

The good news is that Caldwell and Payton both said in interviews this weekend that they don't expect to go undefeated this season and aren't really worried about it. Sounds to me like they are ready to cough one up. Since they've already clinched and their coach is talking about accepting a defeat, don't be too surprised if the Broncos don't go in there and leave with a victory. That is, of course, if they realize they have to play better than they did against the Chiefs.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Playoffs?!?!?

Haven't we already lost against Indy? Oh and beating the Eagles on the road is impossible....oh and the Raiders are showing some signs of a spine Oh No! Oh No! Oh No!
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,025

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Two weeks ago you balked when I said we could beat Indy, Alec.

Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer
 
azbroncfan's Avatar
 
Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 8,645

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW
Default

I think what big pu55y Chris meant was a loss in Indy means getting the division title will be tough. Anyone who says Denver is out with a loss in Indy should retake some reading and understanding classes at the local community college.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,184

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I see a lot of people saying if we lose to Indy, our playoff hopes are over.

Folks, let me explain something to you. Denver is not the only, team in the hunt with tough games left. ANd none of the other teams in the hunt look other-wordly and unbeatable (Indy isn't a team in the hunt, their playoff's are secured).

WIth that said here's what it looks like.

#1 Indy (12-0)
#2 Cincy (9-3)
#3 San Diego (9-3)
#4 New England (7-5)
#5 Denver (8-4)
#6 Jacksonville (7-5)
Actually, right now.....San Diego would be the #2 seed, and Cincy would be the #3 seed......7-3 in the AFC vs. Cincy's 6-3 record......Yep, the Sparkies would get a bye....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,418

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Funny how everyone is back on the band wagon, specially those that trashed me as an insane optimist 2 weeks ago...ho hum....
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #18
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,908

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

I actually said to cement or give ourselves a legit shot at the playoffs, we need to beat Indy which is true.

I think our schedule is tougher than Jax or Baltimores and they both have tie breakers on us in various categories ranging from H2H, to conference record.

We need to win this week. Do that and we'll look great for the playoffs. Plus it would be a huge confidence booster going into the dance. If we lose we're going to be scoreboard watching and we won't hold our own destiny.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
DarkHorse
RPM Racer
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 4,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley
Default

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,418

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I actually said to cement or give ourselves a legit shot at the playoffs, we need to beat Indy which is true.

I think our schedule is tougher than Jax or Baltimores and they both have tie breakers on us in various categories ranging from H2H, to conference record.

We need to win this week. Do that and we'll look great for the playoffs. Plus it would be a huge confidence booster going into the dance. If we lose we're going to be scoreboard watching and we won't hold our own destiny.
Actually if B-more loses tonight, we still control our destiny. A little shakier, and highly unlikely, but still
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #21
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,794
Default

Not that anyone cares, but the Redskins and Chiefs were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yesterday. Not exactly rocket science in the case of the Redskins.

KC's elimination isn't quite as obvious on its face, but due to the remaining schedule, there is no set of wins and losses in the AFC that would allow them to get in at 7-9.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #22
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,102

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Not that anyone cares, but the Redskins and Chiefs were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yesterday. Not exactly rocket science in the case of the Redskins.

KC's elimination isn't quite as obvious on its face, but due to the remaining schedule, there is no set of wins and losses in the AFC that would allow them to get in at 7-9.
thank God....I was really worried about seeing the Chiefs in the playoffs
vancejohnson82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #23
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,418

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Not that anyone cares, but the Redskins and Chiefs were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yesterday. Not exactly rocket science in the case of the Redskins.

KC's elimination isn't quite as obvious on its face, but due to the remaining schedule, there is no set of wins and losses in the AFC that would allow them to get in at 7-9.
My good man, I ALWAYS care when the Chiefs are eliminated from the playoffs. It's one of my favorite drinking holidays!
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #24
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,418

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
thank god....i was really worried about seeing the chiefs in the playoffs
rofl!
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #25
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,414

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
I think what big pu55y Chris meant was a loss in Indy means getting the division title will be tough. Anyone who says Denver is out with a loss in Indy should retake some reading and understanding classes at the local community college.
Agree.

If we Lose at Indy next week , it is imperative that Dallas beats the Chargers
so we "keep pace". A Dallas loss and an Indy win give the Chargers a two game lead with 3 to play. Chargers would then have to lose at least 2 of the last three , and us win out to end up tied for the division.


I prefer the Broncos winning a " 9 in a row" scenario as far as the playoffs go.

Take care of OUR business, and let the chips fall.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Denver Broncos