The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default Searching For The Bronco Killer

Searching For The Bronco Killer

If you asked an NFL player to identify the team he gets the most amped-up to play against, odds are good that you’d get a clichéd answer about giving 100 percent no matter who the opponent is.

While there’s surely a lot of truth in that sentiment, there’s no denying that certain opponents tend to bring out the best in players. That can be particularly true in rivalry games, where the outcome means a little bit more. Going back as long as I can remember, the Chiefs have always seemed to have at least one player who turned in his best performances against the Denver Broncos. But with the most recent “Bronco Killer” now gone from Kansas City, the position is officially open.

Will someone new step up and assume the title for themselves? Or, at least for the time being, could the era of the Bronco Killer be over?

Before we examine a few possible candidates, let’s look back at some of the biggest Bronco Killers of the past decade.

Eddie Kennison

The wide receiver’s routinely strong performances against Denver were fueled by a personal animosity against the team and former head coach Mike Shanahan. Kennison signed with the Broncos prior to the 2001 season, but left the team after eight games.

Even today, over eight years later, the circumstances behind Kennison’s exit are murky. Reportedly, with his father recovering from a heart attack and his wife hospitalized while dealing with a difficult pregnancy, Kennison went to Shanahan the night before a game in November and told the coach that his heart was no longer in football.

Whether Kennison fully explained his reasoning to Shanahan and his Denver teammates depends on whose side of the story you believe. After a few days, Kennison rethought his decision and asked to rejoin the team. Shanahan cut him instead.

The Chiefs signed Kennison a few weeks after his dismissal, and over the next seven years he proved to be a consistent thorn in the Broncos’ side. After Denver traded for shutdown corner Champ Bailey in 2004, Kennison took his Bronco-slaying performances to the next level with a streak of four consecutive games with over 100 receiving yards from 2004-2005.

Dante Hall

Of all the electric plays the former Pro Bowl kick returner made throughout his career, the majority seemed to happen against Denver.

All told, Hall scored five touchdowns against the Broncos from 2002-2005. But it wasn’t just the act of scoring points that puts him on this list – it was how he went about doing it.

Whether he was returning kicks or catching passes, every touchdown Hall scored against Denver went for a distance of at least 40 yards. Three of the five touchdowns were 75 yards or longer, and two of them went for more than 90 yards.

The most memorable of those plays, of course, was his 93-yard punt return against the Broncos in 2003. The play not only marked Hall’s NFL record fourth-straight game with a kick return touchdown, it also proved to be the winning score of a game that both Kansas City and Denver had entered with unblemished records.

Larry Johnson

It would be difficult to find another offensive player who displayed the flat-out dominance over the Broncos that Johnson did during his time in Kansas City.

After taking over as the starting running back halfway through the 2005 season, Johnson became a one-man wrecking crew where the Broncos were concerned. In his five games as the starter against Denver, he averaged 131.4 rushing yards and a touchdown.

As impressive as they are, those numbers are actually harmed by Johnson’s final game against the Broncos last December. Despite the Chiefs leading for most of the game, Johnson was only given 11 carries and amassed just 36 yards, making Chan Gailey the only person who ever found a way to slow him down against Denver.

Without that performance lowering his totals, Johnson would have averaged an astounding 155.25 yards on the ground in each game he started against the Broncos.

Who’s Next?

With Johnson’s recent departure, the Chiefs are officially in the market for a new Bronco Killer. Who will step up?

Since joining the AFC West in 2007, Chris Chambers has had a few strong games against Denver. But his last game fitting that description was over a year ago, and we can’t say for sure whether he’ll remain in Kansas City after this season.

Dwayne Bowe remains suspended for Sunday’s matchup, but in four games against the Broncos, he’s had 85 or more receiving yards in three. Bowe is a definite possibility to fill the void, but we’ll have to withhold judgment for now.

Perhaps the answer is Matt Cassel, who had the best game of his career against Denver last season. Granted, he was with New England at the time, and the Broncos have changed considerably since then. But in the Patriots’ 41-7 dismantling of Denver, Cassel threw for three touchdowns and finished with a quarterback rating of 136.3.

Based on his recent performances, the most likely candidate seems to be Jamaal Charles, who has yet to see any significant action against the Broncos in his career. If the Chiefs pull off a victory Sunday, Charles will surely be at the center of it.

Then again, maybe we’re focusing on the wrong side of the ball. With Derrick Thomas – perhaps the greatest Bronco Killer of them all – having his number retired during halftime, what better time would there be for a defender to make some game-changing plays?

Unfortunately, we won’t get a definitive answer to this issue on Sunday. It will take multiple games for someone to stake their claim to the title. Hopefully, though, we’ll see at least one of these candidates emerge as the front-runner to the Bronco Killer throne.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Willie Clark.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I know who the ultimate Chief Killer was....so does Marty Schottenheimer.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

The most memorable of those plays, of course, was his 93-yard punt return against the Broncos in 2003. The play not only marked Hall’s NFL record fourth-straight game with a kick return touchdown, it also proved to be the winning score of a game that both Kansas City and Denver had entered with unblemished records.

Oh, you mean the play where there were 2 missed blocking in the back calls? Check out this clip and go to (1:21) and (1:23) and watch both chief players blocking in the back to free up Hall. I won't even tell you which players because you will find it most obvious. How those were not called is beyond me. Too bad Hall's most remembered play is a play that he really had no chance of making without the cheating teammates. I remember that play so well because all of us watching the game were going ape ****. Everybody could tell it was crap.

Last edited by ZONA; 12-04-2009 at 09:35 PM..
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post

Oh, you mean the play where there were 2 missed blocking in the back calls? Check out this clip and go to (1:21) and (1:23) and watch both chief players blocking in the back to free up Hall. I won't even tell you which players because you will find it most obvious. How those were not called is beyond me. Too bad Hall's most remembered play is a play that he really had no chance of making without the cheating teammates. I remember that play so well because all of us watching the game were going ape ****. Everybody could tell it was crap.

A kid I knew in Pittsburgh who liked KC (i know, wierd) was watching the game and texted me right after saying that was lucky. I threw the phone at the wall...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Lol no one outside of chef fans will remember any of these players in 15 years.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I see this search going about as well for the Chiefs as OJ's search for the "real killer."
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKid A View Post
I see this search going about as well for the Chiefs as OJ's search for the "real killer."
or about the same as their search for the superbowl..............doh.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The only players on the team right now we have to worry about are Chambers and Charles. Neither of those 2 are sure things though but both are athletically talented.

You left out Gonzo being gone who IMO was a huge player against all teams not just Broncos.

I don't think Chiefs find a ton of success running the ball. That means Cassal will need time. The big question is can anyone on that team block Doom?

Looking at the matchups it doesn't seem like a great one for Chiefs.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The only players on the team right now we have to worry about are Chambers and Charles. Neither of those 2 are sure things though but both are athletically talented.

You left out Gonzo being gone who IMO was a huge player against all teams not just Broncos.

I don't think Chiefs find a ton of success running the ball. That means Cassal will need time. The big question is can anyone on that team block Doom?

Looking at the matchups it doesn't seem like a great one for Chiefs.

Cassel has been sacked 35 times this year. I am betting we get to him a time or two.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I just remember the time Hall got knocked the **** out by Lynch. I laughed for a good half hour.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Hey bob, you little queer. I'm told it's you who banned me from the Chiefs board when you couldn't handle the feedback you were given on the article where you asked for it. Not surprising. You've always been a cock-loving b****.

So what did you do? You banned me. Only problem is, I was unbanned almost immediately by the mods on your board who all like me more than they like you. Imagine that! chiefs mods who like a Broncos fan more than they like Clayton "I Love Cock!" Wendler.

They've told me I need to "tread lightly" so as not to disrupt your "delicate sensibilities." Man, you're even a moronic p***Y to the people who pay to read your **** content! That's crazy!

What a loser! Even the people "on your side" aren't on your side.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
Williams
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I just remember the time Hall got knocked the **** out by Lynch. I laughed for a good half hour.
The consummate crushing hit.

Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Cassel has been sacked 35 times this year. I am betting we get to him a time or two.

If Broncos stop the run well and score some points it could be 4 or 5.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

Sadly, this has become the Chiefs Super Bowl. It is just sad.
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #17
BossChief
not a troll

not a troll

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

KC is 17-1 against Denver, at Arrowhead in December!

18-1 coming right up!
BossChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
KC is 17-1 against Denver, at Arrowhead in December!

18-1 coming right up!
You are 100% correct. If the Broncos could somehow manage to beat the Queefies in Arrowhead it would be one of the Broncos biggest road wins in last decade.

What a challenge it is to win in the friggin frozen mudhole they call a field.

I think Broncos have a good shot though.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #19
BossChief
not a troll

not a troll

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You are 100% correct. If the Broncos could somehow manage to beat the Queefies in Arrowhead it would be one of the Broncos biggest road wins in last decade.

What a challenge it is to win in the friggin frozen mudhole they call a field.

I think Broncos have a good shot though.
believe me, KC fans think we will lose this one, and I bet deep down, you guys think you will lose this one as well.

I just hope for a good game where both teams leave healthy!
BossChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
believe me, KC fans think we will lose this one, and I bet deep down, you guys think you will lose this one as well.

I just hope for a good game where both teams leave healthy!
By now KC fans should expect to lose every game. Honestly on paper we should blow you out.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:08 AM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I'm hoping that McDaniels runs the naked bootleg for helluva of it.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I printed out the latest Bob crap and made good use of it. Picked up dog poop. Always appreciate Bob and his assistance.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #23
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Rich Gannon. Thankfully Marty decided to play Grbackup in the 97 divisional playoff game.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #24
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Chief fans: how does it feel to know your team chose Steve Bono / Elvis Grbac over Rich Gannon?
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #25
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

whos that guy that blocks in the back during punts and kickoffs?
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote