The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Default General Baseball Thread 2010

Time for the annual baseball thread....may as well get it going for the offseason moves.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Phillies signed Placido Polanco to a 3 year deal today....looks like he will play 3rd base for them.

I am very disappointed the Tigers did not make an effort to keep him.

He played a stellar 2nd base and is a clutch hitter....the nuts and bolts kind of guy you need on your team.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Didn't the Major league annual Yankee spending spree just end? Can this wait till the next one begins in like late February?
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

If you don't want to talk baseball....then stick to one of the three hundred Jay Cutler threads.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
If you don't want to talk baseball....then stick to one of the three hundred Jay Cutler threads.
Calm down, i was just messing with you. F'ing people around here are so god damn sensitive these days...fine.....I'll put you on ignore and we never have to speak again...shyt!
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Mariners are going to do this offseason with all that money coming off the books. I'm hoping to see us nab Lackey with Bedard moving his way out of the picture.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
Calm down, i was just messing with you. F'ing people around here are so god damn sensitive these days...fine.....I'll put you on ignore and we never have to speak again...shyt!
Geez....talk about sensitive....I was not even being serious....just a little inside joke about the hundreds of Jay Cutler threads compared to one baseball thread.

I'm probably the least sensitive ****er on this site....just a little crass at times.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 12-03-2009 at 11:41 PM..
Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

My Red Sox have agreed to a two-year contract with free-agent shortstop Marco Scutaro
Man, all we need right now is sign Halladay from Toronto and we will roll next season!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Mariners are going to do this offseason with all that money coming off the books. I'm hoping to see us nab Lackey with Bedard moving his way out of the picture.
The Tigers are having an apparent fire sale with pretty much every player outside of Justin Verlander available.

Very disappointing.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4714327

Source: Figgins, Mariners near deal
Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

You Mariners fans have to be geeked at the thought of signing Figgins....heck of a ball player.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Way to early for this crap
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4725108

The New York Yankees, Arizona Diamondbacks and Detroit Tigers are on the verge of the first major trade of baseball's winter meetings, a deal that would send Tigers outfielder Curtis Granderson to New York, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In the trade, the Diamondbacks would obtain Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy, while the Tigers will pick up Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Phil Coke and outfield prospect Austin Jackson.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

First the Tigers let Polanco walk....and then they trade Curtis Granderson and Edwin Jackson.

If Dave Dombrowski were in front of me right now, I would smack his smug face and boot him in the berries.

Curtis Granderson was the leader of the Tigers and a fan favorite.

Move over Pirates, the Tigers will be re-joining you on a decade long trip to Suck Island.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 12-08-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

The Tigers are giving up two proven commodities, but all four of the young players they are receiving can play and make close to the league minimum. Scherzer has the stuff and ability to match what Jackson did and he has far less service time so he may end up giving the Tigers more bang for the buck.

The Tigers would be taking the real hit on going from Granderson to Jackson. That's definitely a downgrade. Jackson can play defense and get on-base, but he doesn't have the extra-base power that Granderson brings to the table.

Mark Schlereth's son has closer type stuff. He would be the sleeper of this deal.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

What's puzzling about this trade is that Granderson had a favorable contract for a player of his stature and he was locked up for at least four more years if the Tigers wanted to keep him.

10:$5.5M, 11:$8.25M, 12:$10M, 13:$13M club option ($2M buyout)

It definitely looks like a salary dump if it goes through.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
bombay
Ring of Famer

Cardinals signed Brad Penny (pending physical) for $7.5 plus about 1.5 in incentives. Seems like a lot for a guy who's turned into a journeyman.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

In 2010, the Tigers are paying Magglio Ordonez $18 million, Jeremy Bonderman $12.5 million, Carlos Guillen $13 million, Dontrelle Willis $12 million and Nate Robertson $10 milllion.

It looks like the Tigers overextended themselves. Nobody in baseball wants to take on these contracts so when push comes to shove, the Tigers had to trade value to trim payroll.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Cardinals signed Brad Penny (pending physical) for $7.5 plus about 1.5 in incentives. Seems like a lot for a guy who's turned into a journeyman.
That is the going rate for a 3rd starter on a low risk, one-year deal. Penny is a headcase, but he still can throw heat. Dave Duncan has shown he can work wonders with pitchers and Penny will be one of the most gifted projects he has dealt with.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB52 View Post
That is the going rate for a 3rd starter on a low risk, one-year deal. Penny is a headcase, but he still can throw heat. Dave Duncan has shown he can work wonders with pitchers and Penny will be one of the most gifted projects he has dealt with.

Yeah, he's the kind of guy Duncan has had good success with, and I guess it's low risk based on being one year.

Who's going to be #5? Garcia?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Yeah, he's the kind of guy Duncan has had good success with, and I guess it's low risk based on being one year.

Who's going to be #5? Garcia?
I think Jaime Garcia will be a candidate, but most clubs don't know who their fifth starter will be until mid-to-late March.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #22
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think Jaime Garcia will be a candidate, but most clubs don't know who their fifth starter will be until mid-to-late March.

True. And I think he's coming back from Tommy John.

It's a fine rotation 1-4 provided Carpenter can give them something in the 200 inning range. The mystery at this point is left field.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
In 2010, the Tigers are paying Magglio Ordonez $18 million, Jeremy Bonderman $12.5 million, Carlos Guillen $13 million, Dontrelle Willis $12 million and Nate Robertson $10 milllion.

It looks like the Tigers overextended themselves. Nobody in baseball wants to take on these contracts so when push comes to shove, the Tigers had to trade value to trim payroll.
I wouldn't be shocked if Juan Pierre ends up a Tiger. I've seen some weak rumors about Bonderman for him.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if Juan Pierre ends up a Tiger. I've seen some weak rumors about Bonderman for him.
I'd trade Bonder for Pierre in a second. The guy's damaged goods and hasn't shown the ability to come back from injury. Hell, they can take half the guys you mentioned on that list and the cash to cover they payroll on top of it and I'd be a happy man.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I'd trade Bonder for Pierre in a second. The guy's damaged goods and hasn't shown the ability to come back from injury. Hell, they can take half the guys you mentioned on that list and the cash to cover they payroll on top of it and I'd be a happy man.
I think the Dodgers are in trouble with the whole owner thing. Pierre would be a salary dump with the possibility of a good pitcher return if he could return healthy. I would guess it would between him or Willis lol.

I might add Sherrill was being rumored to being shopped for E. Jackson so I guess it could end up being a multi player deal.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 12-08-2009 at 04:51 PM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote