The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Matt Prater Finding His Footing

Entering the Broncos’ Week 13 matchup with the Chiefs, Matt Prater has already earned a slew of 2009 accomplishments.

His seven field goals and seven touchbacks in September led to his first AFC Special Teams Player of the Month honor. His four field goals and five touchbacks in the 26-6 Thanksgiving victory over the Giants led to an AFC Special Teams Player of the Week award.

With a hostile road environment on the horizon this weekend in Kansas City, Prater is less focused on past praise and more geared toward a strong finish.

“So far it has been good, but we still have at least five more weeks,” Prater said. “I don’t even like knowing about it until after the season, because you always (think) about your next game which is the most important. Kansas City this week and try to have a good game this week.”

The last time Prater graced the Arrowhead Stadium grass, his leg produced history. Prater nailed two 50-yard field goals against the Chiefs on Sept. 28, 2008, becoming the third Bronco in club history to accomplish that single-game feat.

While he’s only had two attempts of 50 yards or longer this season, Prater has prided himself on consistency. He’s 19-of-23 on field goals and 19-of-19 on extra points, thanks to a little bit of added difficulty in practice.

“I think one thing that has really helped is we have been kicking with a little skinnier than arena uprights in practice,” Prater said. “So then when I go out there for the games, I look at the uprights and they look a lot wider. Just a mental (edge) too.”

That mental edge has been aided by two veterans alongside him on every attempt. Lonie Paxton arrived in the offseason, bringing nine years of experience and three Super Bowl rings at long snapper. Mitch Berger arrived in Week 7, bringing 15 years of games and a Super Bowl ring himself at punter.

Since Berger took over the team’s holding duties, Prater has converted all seven of his field goal attempts. He was far from shy about what the 16-year veteran has added to the kicking equation.

“I’m super confident in him,” Prater said. “When I line up I don’t ever have to think about the hold, which (former Broncos punter) Brett (Kern) was good at too. But Mitch has been doing it so long. He kicked as well so he gives me little pointers here and there on kicking, too.”

A top story detailing more from Dove Valley, including the Week 13 Injury Report, will be posted on DenverBroncos.com later this evening. For now, here are some shots from the start of Wednesday’s practice.

– Chris Gentilviso, DenverBroncos.com

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...g-his-footing/
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

He's had a great couple of games in a row, and his kickoffs have been very solid.

Nice article. He hasn't gotten much praise. That's how it is for kickers. You notice them when they're screwing up. But, he's been playing very well. It's a nice luxury not to have to worry every time your kicker steps on the field.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

This thread gets the Beantown stamp of approval.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

He was good the first half last year and not so good the second half

I still get a little nervous when he goes out because of how erratic he was last year, but maybe he has turned the corner

He has done well this year though, the touchbacks are very helpful
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

“I think one thing that has really helped is we have been kicking with a little skinnier than arena uprights in practice,” Prater said. “So then when I go out there for the games, I look at the uprights and they look a lot wider. Just a mental (edge) too.”.”

A very smart move! Coach MD idea?

That mental edge has been aided by two veterans alongside him on every attempt. Lonie Paxton arrived in the offseason, bringing nine years of experience and three Super Bowl rings at long snapper. Mitch Berger arrived in Week 7, bringing 15 years of games and a Super Bowl ring himself at punter.

Since Berger took over the team’s holding duties, Prater has converted all seven of his field goal attempts. He was far from shy about what the 16-year veteran has added to the kicking equation.

“I’m super confident in him,” Prater said. “When I line up I don’t ever have to think about the hold, which (former Broncos punter) Brett (Kern) was good at too. But Mitch has been doing it so long. He kicked as well so he gives me little pointers here and there on kicking, too.”

Well Mitch has found some way to help. Still not sold on his punting.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
His four field goals and five touchbacks in the 26-6 Thanksgiving victory over the Giants led to an AFC Special Teams Player of the Week award.
2 special teams awards with 5 games still to go. Love it. Where are all the guys that were clamoring to get this guy out of here as recently as October?

Quote:
“I think one thing that has really helped is we have been kicking with a little skinnier than arena uprights in practice,” Prater said. “So then when I go out there for the games, I look at the uprights and they look a lot wider. Just a mental (edge) .”
Huh. I didn't know they did this, but it makes sense. You learn something every day.

Quote:

Well, this could certainly explain at least part of why McD has stuck with Berger.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joel Dresseen

unjinx
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote