The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Krieger: Chiefs' investment in Cassel falling short

Krieger: Chiefs' investment in Cassel falling short

By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist
Posted: 12/03/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

the beginning, Matt Cassel was Josh McDaniels' Frankenstein.

A career backup quarterback not only in the NFL, but also in college, Cassel emerged from McDaniels' New England laboratory an apparently finished product who threw for more than 3,600 yards and led the Patriots to an 11-5 record.

He was so good that when McDaniels got his own team in January, he briefly considered a Cassel-for-Jay Cutler trade before his former mentor, Bill Belichick, traded his former pupil to Kansas City.

The Chiefs immediately proffered a six-year, $63 million contract because, clearly, Cassel was a franchise quarterback.

Today, Cassel ranks 24th in the NFL by passing yardage, 22nd by passer rating, 26th by completion percentage and 28th by yards per pass attempt. The Chiefs, whom the Broncos play Sunday, are 3-8.

Cutler and Kyle Orton, who were eventually traded for one another, haven't exactly set the world on fire either, but at least Orton can claim a winning record.

The best thing you can say for Cassel is that it's too early in his Kansas City tenure to say anything.

"Anytime you change teams, I think it takes a little while to get used to different players, different system," McDaniels said. "He's got a different offensive philosophy, different play callers, different receivers.

"So I think a lot of things change when you change organizations. I see that all the time here in my role, so I'm sure he's going through some of those same things himself."

In fact, in Cassel's defense, he was on his second offensive coordinator in Kansas City by the time he played his first regular-season game. That's unstable even by Chiefs standards.

"It's not something I wanted to happen, and it wasn't my initial plan," said Chiefs coach Todd Haley, who replaced Chan Gailey's offensive system with his own at the end of August, two weeks before the opener.

"I was hired very late in the game coming out of the Super Bowl and decided to go a direction that I thought was best for the team at the time. And after getting through most of training camp, it wasn't a snap decision, it was kind of something that built up over time."

Cassel acknowledges the transition has been bumpy.

"It was definitely a huge adjustment when I first got here because I went from being in New England for four years, and then coming in and we were learning Chan Gailey's offense, and then a week before the season Coach Haley took over play-calling responsibility," Cassel said.

"And he really did change up a lot of the terminology and the protections and everything else, so we've kind of had to learn a whole new offense throughout the course of the year. It's been challenging, but at the same time it's been for the better, and coach has done a great job of getting us to try to understand what he's trying to get done."

All three of the quarterbacks in last winter's soap opera have the same excuse, although not quite to Cassel's extent. Cutler joined a dysfunctional offense in Chicago and, trying to do too much, leads the league in interceptions (20). This might be why McDaniels emphasized that Cassel has at least taken care of the ball.

The Bears would have been well-advised to pull a Haley and change offensive coordinators after training camp. They will apparently take the tack Haley rejected and wait a year to do it.

Of the three, only Orton has a winning record. And, interestingly, only Orton doesn't have a lucrative new contract. He has done what McDaniels has asked of him, competently running a modest offense, and the Broncos have been led by their defense.

But the notion that a coach and a system can make a franchise quarterback isn't getting a lot of traction this season. The league's best teams so far, the undefeated Colts and Saints and the 10-1 Vikings, are all led by star quarterbacks who make their teams go.

No one is going to confuse Cassel or Orton with Peyton Manning or Drew Brees this year. Someone could confuse Cutler with Brett Favre, but only because Favre has thrown 20 or more interceptions six times in his career.

Cassel might yet justify the Chiefs' enormous investment, as Cutler might justify the Bears'. But for now, all of last winter's histrionics look like much ado about three pretty ordinary quarterbacks.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13914207
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

It's year one Krieger
Cassell is in the bottom 3rd of starting qb's with 7 interceptions, but 2nd with 35 sacks.
That tells me he does not force the ball, but holds on to it too long with his porous offensive line.

They gave him a six year deal to build around him. Lets see if Pioli can acquire more beef up front, a running game, and some guys who can catch.
A defense wouldn't hurt too...

On a side note- I hope Doom crushes him this week & pads his stats!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

so orton and cutler were traded for each other? or was cutler traded for 2 first round picks, and orton for a 5th...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
Cassell is in the bottom 3rd of starting qb's with 7 interceptions, but 2nd with 35 sacks.
That tells me he does not force the ball, but holds on to it too long with his porous offensive line.
Bingo. This was his MO in New England as well (just ask Jarvis Moss who, because of Cassel, looked like freakin Lawrence Taylor for a few hours last year). I doubt it will ever change.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

The best thing you can say for Cassel is that it's too early in his Kansas City tenure to say anything.

I stopped reading after this
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

to play Devil's advocate here, I have a hard time placing it all on Cassel but for the kind of money he is getting it is hard NOT to

let's face it, KC wasn't just a QB away from ****...they are still a team away from an NFL franchise
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
to play Devil's advocate here, I have a hard time placing it all on Cassel but for the kind of money he is getting it is hard NOT to

let's face it, KC wasn't just a QB away from ****...they are still a team away from an NFL franchise
Well said.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I have to admit changing offensive philosephy (sp?) a week before the season doomed (no pun intended) Cassell from the start...
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
I have to admit changing offensive philosephy (sp?) a week before the season doomed (no pun intended) Cassell from the start...
well that, and the fact that he sucks hurt him alot too.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
well that, and the fact that he sucks hurt him alot too.
I don't think that is fair really, I don't think he is a bad QB whatsoever
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Of the three, only Orton has a winning record. And, interestingly, only Orton doesn't have a lucrative new contract.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

You can only hope to contain me

The article lacks focus.

1st he states that the QB is falling short. Then goes on to say it's to early to say that.

Then why write it?

Anyway, I agree with most here. It's early yet, but he hasn't shown much to this point.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Cassel is the least of their problems. He's looked good at times.

I just don't think it was the right fit for him. You need to build up more of a foundation for a QB like that.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

He'll never earn that contract but I think if he was in a better situation he'd be fine. I think if he was in Denver he'd produce similarly, perhaps better, than Orton has. And I don't say that as a knock on Orton, just that Cassel proved himself in McD's system last year and he's probably more skilled all around than Orton.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

In his defense, it's really hard to hit open receivers from the bottom of an 800 pound pile, and hard to concentrate with more defenders in your backfield than running backs.
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post

Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
so orton and cutler were traded for each other? or was cutler traded for 2 first round picks, and orton for a 5th...
2 1's and a 3rd.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
It's year one Krieger
Good points. It's fun to think he's a bust and the chefs wasted all that money, but it's way too early to be sure.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
2 1's and a 3rd.
i was being sarcastic, that dbag wrote that they were traded for each other.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Krieger didn't even touch on Cassel's biggest issues: inaccuracy and fumbling, and his god-awful long ball.

Cassel's arm has been scattershot this year and he leads the league in fumbles.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #21
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Chiefs have had problems this year, but Cassel has not been the focal point of any of them (except last week). Put an OL in front of him and resign Chambers to a long term deal and you will see a better QB.
Yes he does hold onto the ball too long at times and no doesn't have the strongest arm, but he also doesn't turn the ball over and throw the ball up for grabs like other QB's (calling Jay Cutler on line 2)
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #22
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob's your information minister View Post
krieger didn't even touch on cassel's biggest issues: Inaccuracy and fumbling, and his god-awful long ball.

Cassel's arm has been scattershot this year and he leads the league in fumbles.
my god....a griese clone.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #23
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Matt Cassel wishes he was Brian Griese.

Given protection Griese could pick a fly off a warthog's ass.

Cassel misses the mark like Tyler Thigpen at times.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 AM   #24
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Matt Cassel wishes he was Brian Griese.

Given protection Griese could pick a fly off a warthog's ass.

Cassel misses the mark like Tyler Thigpen at times.

M. Cassel 10/29 84Yrds 34.5% 0TDS 2INTS 14.6 QBR
Old 12-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #25
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gee, I'm surprised that all that money the Lions have paid for Scott Mitchell and it's not working out . . . I mean,

Gee, I'm surprised that all that money the Bills are paying for Rob Johnson and it's not working out . . . I mean,

Gee, I'm surprised that all that money the Chiefs are paying for Matt Cassel and it's not working out . . .

Gee, I'm surprised as anyone!

One hit wonders do not always translate long-term success...
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote