The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default A Fair Question...

What wrong with Royal this year?

I was looking at Brandon's stats and saw that he now has as many TD's as he had last year, but he has done it with half as many receptions.

2008 - 104 receptions - 6 TD's
2009 - 58 receptions - 6 TD's

I like that production because in the end its all about the points.

But what is going on with Royal? Other than the Chargers game, he has no TD's. Is this a sophomore slump, or is he just not getting open?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

its a bunch of things i imagine. maybe having more trouble separating, hes not getting as many targets (clearly). we arent passing the ball near as many times as last year, the QB is checking down a LOT more this year, cutler didnt do it at all last year.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I thought this system would actually help him explode. But, it looks like he's needing more time to pick it up. I also think he's just had some bad luck, some injuries, etc. He's made some big catches. (See New England/Dallas game.)

I also think we should all probably get used to seeing more players sharing stats as opposed to Rod Smith catching for 1600 yards and the rest of the guys 300.

Marshall will go over 1000 a season, but Royal might be used somewhat less than he was last season.

Our offense has a lot of guys getting involved.

NE was 4th in the league in rushing last season with no back over 900 yards.

Eddie will continue to get comfortable in the system. I have no worries about him.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

He isn't being utilized in McD's system along with Stokely and 2 of those TD's were KO punt returns
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
its a bunch of things i imagine. maybe having more trouble separating, hes not getting as many targets (clearly). we arent passing the ball near as many times as last year, the QB is checking down a LOT more this year, cutler didnt do it at all last year.
Yeah, I don't think anything is wrong with Eddie Royal. In fact at the beginning of the season he was getting all the attention because Marshall wasn't up to game speed yet. As our offense continues to improve so will the stats of the players.
Florida_Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I honestly think it's a bit of a slump. Tsi is right though, it is never just one thing. First off, I think he might still be struggling a bit in his second year, which isn't unheard of, and he's the type of player that will bounce back. Second, the ball is being spread around far more than it has been in recent years, Jabbar Gaffney has been surprisingly clutch this season. There are a lot of guys that are getting open out there, and Denver isn't passing nearly as much as last season.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

A lot of factors as people have said. The two biggest in my mind - Jabar Gaffney and an offense that spreads the ball around.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

He has shown glimpses of a breakout, i.e. the Steelers game. He was also inches away from coming down with a 70 yard home run catch in the Redskins game.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

This subject is breaking my balls. It's like he can't get open, and they insist on him running these short cross and comeback routes, he's gotta be the fastest receiver on the team, he should be going deep and at least keeping one of their safeties honest.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

He isn't getting the catches because of the role he playing in the offense. He isn't playing the Wes Welker role in this offense,like everyone thought he would, he playing the 3rd WR on the outside. I bet you will find his production is very similar to Gaffney's numbers in NE last season.

EDIT Gaffney's numbers last season

Games 16 GS 7 Catches 38 YD 468 YDPer Catch 12.3 LNG 37 TD 2

Last edited by elsid13; 12-02-2009 at 03:55 PM..
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote