The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Urlacher on the difference between Orton and Cutler

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com.../urlacher.html

Yahoo! Sports reports: Brian Urlacher put in a plug for Kyle Orton and addressed the difference in the Bears' identity with Jay Cutler at quarterback during a weekend interview with Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports.

"Look, I love Jay, and I understand he's a great player who can take us a long way, and I still have faith in him," Urlacher said. "But I hate the way our identity has changed. We used to establish the run and wear teams down and try not to make mistakes, and we'd rely on our defense to keep us in the game and make big plays to put us in position to win. Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that's the truth."

Get the full story: Yahoo.com
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Cue Popps with the: "But he's got a rocket arm!" comment.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

its not Cutlers fault !

(sarcastic)
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Wow, that team is a total train wreck now. It's more a crucifixion of the coaching staff than Cutler, but if he's at the point of saying this stuff to the media it must be pretty bad.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Pretty tough not to agree with Brian, but I have a problem with the timing. His defense just got lit up yesterday something fierce. Call me crazy, but giving up 550+ yards of offense and a ton of points is not "keeping the team in the game" as far as I'm concerned.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Frown Cannon, destroyer of NFL Franchises...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Pretty tough not to agree with Brian, but I have a problem with the timing. His defense just got lit up yesterday something fierce. Call me crazy, but giving up 550+ yards of offense and a ton of points is not "keeping the team in the game" as far as I'm concerned.
Your right, the Bears defense is garbage. But I think thats what Urlacher was trying to say about changing Identities.

Instead of drafting up and building a solid Defense, they gave away their picks for a "rocket" arm and are trying to be a flashy/offensive team instead of a Defensive team. Or at least in the short term. Next year could be different.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Urlacher also likes Cutler's toughness and no quit attitude. But Urlacher doesn't hesitate to say Culter just throws too many interceptions and forces throws in tight coverage and triple teams.

Its not Cutler who turned the Bears into passing first and run second so much as it is Turner sending in all the plays. I'm sure Cutler would rather run the ball more as well, its just that the O Line just isn't making space for Matt Forte' to run btwn like back in 2008 when Forte ran for over 1,200 yards.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
its not Cutlers fault !

(sarcastic)
Its all Orton's fault he should have never agreed to the trade!

(sarcastic)
Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Urlacher also likes Cutler's toughness and no quit attitude. But Urlacher doesn't hesitate to say Culter just throws too many interceptions and forces throws in tight coverage and triple teams.

Its not Cutler who turned the Bears into passing first and run second so much as it is Turner sending in all the plays. I'm sure Cutler would rather run the ball more as well, its just that the O Line just isn't making space for Matt Forte' to run btwn like back in 2008 when Forte ran for over 1,200 yards.

right, because they gave away all their picks for Cutler. If not, they might have been able to draft OL. We will see if they do next year, and try to build the run game.

But it makes me happy that the bears are talking about rebuilding, whether it be their D or OL. Because the Broncos were supposed to be the "rebuilding" team going into the year. People had us at 2-14 or 3-13.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Paladin
Ring of Famer

But, but, Orlando was the answer!!!!!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Your right, the Bears defense is garbage. But I think thats what Urlacher was trying to say about changing Identities.

Instead of drafting up and building a solid Defense, they gave away their picks for a "rocket" arm and are trying to be a flashy/offensive team instead of a Defensive team. Or at least in the short term. Next year could be different.
I don't see how it will be different next year. They have no first or second round picks. If there's no CBA, there's not going to be much free agent movement. And their line will be a year older and crappier.

If Urlacher comes back full boar, you might see a change in the defense, but to me BU isn't a Polamalu-type where the entire defense is different because he's on the field. I just don't see it.

The rebuild in Chicago doesn't begin til 2011. And by that point, I think Cutler will have two years left on his deal.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #14
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
right, because they gave away all their picks for Cutler. If not, they might have been able to draft OL. We will see if they do next year, and try to build the run game.

But it makes me happy that the bears are talking about rebuilding, whether it be their D or OL. Because the Broncos were supposed to be the "rebuilding" team going into the year. People had us at 2-14 or 3-13.
The Bears can still find efficent talent to shore up the O line via free agency and not pay a ransome to do so.

Also the Defense can get healthy in hurry if BU and Tinosomo (sp) can both comeback healthy. And if the Bears also sign some veteran players off FA there's no reason the Bears Defense can't make a turn around and become effective in 010. Afterall the Broncos Defense proves it can be done so there's no reason the Bears can't duplicate the same turn-around.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Rasta, why don't you just go over to the Bears? It's clear you have an undying love for Cutler.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

The Bears defense has not been that bad. Yesterday they got lit up by a Vikings O that is one of the best in the league.

They have had some injuries, but their front four and the LB corps, even without BU, have been pretty good. What has happened is that Devin Hester has been effectively strategized against in the return game, and Cutler doesn't have the weapons around him to hide his deficiencies. Hard to win games when the QB is single handedly giving the game to the other team.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Really, the bears being this bad is not all on Cutler. Its an overall meltdown which starts with the coaching staff putting too much focus on the passing game and not enough focus on the running game. Hey, if your oline stinks, it's gonna be exposed more in the passing game than the running game. Even bad offensive lines can run block with a decent RB and the bears have Forte.

As for the defense, it's being exposed but it's only a few pieces away from being decent.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

From the same article....

Quote:
When Cutler threw a gorgeous touchdown pass to wideout Johnny Knox(notes) in the corner of the end zone to tie the score at 7, Urlacher was both excited and impressed. “You see him do [expletive] like that, and you’re like, ‘That’s unreal,’ ” Urlacher said. “I mean, there might be five guys in the league who can make that throw; it couldn’t have been anywhere else. It was [expletive] sweet.” He called Knox “one of my favorite rookies of all time. He’s sensational; he just goes out there and plays. Even in training camp he didn’t talk a lot. He played football and won our respect.”
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I don't see how it will be different next year. They have no first or second round picks. If there's no CBA, there's not going to be much free agent movement. And their line will be a year older and crappier.

If Urlacher comes back full boar, you might see a change in the defense, but to me BU isn't a Polamalu-type where the entire defense is different because he's on the field. I just don't see it.

The rebuild in Chicago doesn't begin til 2011. And by that point, I think Cutler will have two years left on his deal.
right, this is the main reason why Denver got the best of the trade, and Bears were idiots for doing this. I love it.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Really, the bears being this bad is not all on Cutler. Its an overall meltdown which starts with the coaching staff putting too much focus on the passing game and not enough focus on the running game. Hey, if your oline stinks, it's gonna be exposed more in the passing game than the running game. Even bad offensive lines can run block with a decent RB and the bears have Forte.

As for the defense, it's being exposed but it's only a few pieces away from being decent.

you could be right, but this helps us Denver fans feel better ripping on Cutler and the Bears.

Going into the year, The bears were supposed to be the "instantly" better team and the broncos were supposed to be "rebuilding" because we got all the picks and they got the franchise QB.

I know not everyone in the world might have thought the bears were superbowl contenders, and the broncos were going to be 2-14, but that was the general feel I got from the sports world and all my friends/family that are bears fans.

I know these ESPN rankings are pathetic, but check out week 1, we are 27th team in the NFL because cutler is gone

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/week/1
Old 11-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

It's a easy answer. Consistency and turnovers. Orton won't give you the great games followed by terrible games just consistent good games with low turnovers.

Last edited by azbroncfan; 11-30-2009 at 10:07 AM..
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Jerry Angelo is the responsible party. How he keeps a job as GM is beyond me.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Jay is a baby and maybe with right coach he'll learn to limit his turnovers in redzone. I'd still rather have him then Orton. BU likes Orton as a teammate but, he can see what an upgrade Jay brings to the table. Is it Jay's fault alot yes but, as bad as their O is he sure moves it up and down the field better then we do and our O is supposed to be 100 times better that's what happens when you have a qb that can use the whole field.

I do question Cutlers leadership and desire to get better work on his game we'll see how it turns out over time. His mopey aloof arrogance won't make it easier for him but, name one team that expected playoffs in 09 that is 4-7 wouldn't gripe and make these statements.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #24
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
How many of those yards come as a direct result of Cutlers miscues?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post

You don't think that Brian Urlacher makes their defense better? Really?

He's the heart and soul of that defense. I can't imagine how anybody doesn't see that.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote