The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Q&A: Does Brandon Marshall still want out?

Q&A: Does Brandon Marshall still want out?

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 11/30/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Welcome back and keep the queries coming

Today's comes from John Werner:

Q: The Post had an interesting quote from Brandon Marshall: "My contract is over in a month and a half, so I'll be able to accomplish the things I want to accomplish. There will be a team out there willing to trade for anybody, I mean anybody, who has accomplished the things that I've accomplished."

Can this mean anything other than that Marshall would still prefer being traded to working out a longterm deal with Denver? And does this also suggest that his current happy act is, in fact, just an act?

A: John, that was indeed a quote in a story by Lindsay Jones this past week. I don't think over the past few months Marshall's ultimate goals have changed and I think that's a reflection of what Marshall believes.

Right now, as in training camp, he would like the Broncos to sign him to a new deal or trade him to somebody who will. It's just before the season he had the thought — whether it came from his representation or himself — a trade would happen before this season was played.

When he decided it wasn't going to happen, and the Broncos made it clear it wasn't going to happen, he came back from his suspension and has played without all that much turmoil since.

So, I don't think it's an "act," as you say. Like a lot of professional athletes, Marshall sees a limited earning window in what is routinely a relatively short career and wants to take full advantage of his earning potential.

That was true in August and it's certainly true now.

The real question will be whether anything really changes for him if there is no new collective bargaining agreement.

Marshall's contract doesn't really end in a month and a half, it ends in March, like everybody's else's contract in the league — the league's year goes from March to March, not January to December.

And if there is no new collective bargaining agreement, that makes 2010 an uncapped year and Marshall, instead of an unrestricted free agent, will be a restricted free agent because of provisions written into the CBA. So he could receive offers from other teams, but the Broncos would have the right to match those offers as well as get compensation in return in the form of draft picks.

The Broncos could certainly trade him at the end of the season and I think the fact both sides have continued to keep the peace in public shows they are at least trying to keep Marshall's value up in the event a trade is the direction they want to go. The team has done little but compliment him publicly.

Marshall's antics in training camp showed he didn't always think things through since the only one really hurting his trade value at that point was him.

And for the most part, he has tried to keep himself away from any issues.

Overall, some players — here and elsewhere — have wondered privately what Marshall would have done if another player had gotten in his face in August, the way he got in Knowshon Moreno's face after a Moreno fumble against the Chargers last week. And that the incident, to some at least, still shows he has work to do.

For him to get the kind of contract he would like, however, he has to show he's the kind of player a team could build a passing game around. General managers around the league certainly see potential when he makes catches like he did against the Giants, but when money is on the line they get critical.

And GMs are quick to point out he caught 100 passes for a team that didn't make the playoffs in the two seasons he did it or that he often goes long stretches without touchdowns — four touchdowns in the last 11 games in '07, three touchdowns in the last 12 games in '08 and two touchdowns in his last six games in '09. Perhaps that's not always a fair way to look at it, but when millions of guaranteed dollars are on the line, those general managers have to explain to team owners what happened if things don't work out.

A lot of those general managers still openly wonder how Marshall will conduct himself if he were to get a contract that put him in elite status since it's the contract itself that seems to be fueling so much of what he's doing.

In the end, though, his viewpoint doesn't seem to have changed in the middle of all that. He wants the deal in Denver or he wants the trade.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13890096
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Hmmm, interesting. I get the "falling out of the picture for long stretches" argument, but do you think that bothers a team like the Chicago Bears, who would kill for a #1 receiver right about now?

BMarsh is one of my favorite players, but I've finally come to the conclusion or realization rather, this is going to be treated like a business more so now than in year's past. If a team like the Bucs comes along and is willing to give up some pretty nice picks, you make the deal. In fact, I see the Bucs as a potential landing spot for BMarsh and if they're willing to give up that high #1 the will have next April, I'd go ahead and make the deal. Obviously we wouldn't keep that spot, but somebody that is (or sees themselves) as in deep need for the top QB in the draft may be willing to give up a good bit for the pick. Options... that is what our new coach will be looking for in April. Perhaps he gets lucky and can find a way to pull an extra first and second round pick out of this draft. Mt. Cody, CJ Spiller, and the top Center in the draft in the second round would be an awful nice haul. But then again, losing a guy like BMarsh isn't exactly appealing... for me anyway.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekcuf View Post
Hmmm, interesting. I get the "falling out of the picture for long stretches" argument, but do you think that bothers a team like the Chicago Bears, who would kill for a #1 receiver right about now?

BMarsh is one of my favorite players, but I've finally come to the conclusion or realization rather, this is going to be treated like a business more so now than in year's past. If a team like the Bucs comes along and is willing to give up some pretty nice picks, you make the deal. In fact, I see the Bucs as a potential landing spot for BMarsh and if they're willing to give up that high #1 the will have next April, I'd go ahead and make the deal. Obviously we wouldn't keep that spot, but somebody that is (or sees themselves) as in deep need for the top QB in the draft may be willing to give up a good bit for the pick. Options... that is what our new coach will be looking for in April. Perhaps he gets lucky and can find a way to pull an extra first and second round pick out of this draft. Mt. Cody, CJ Spiller, and the top Center in the draft in the second round would be an awful nice haul. But then again, losing a guy like BMarsh isn't exactly appealing... for me anyway.
If you're starting at the point of the Bucs 1st and 2 2nds (they have the Bears' 2nd rounder for Gaines Adams), I'm listening to that trade.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

It's not going to be the Bucs 1st and 2 2nds... It could be both of their 2nds, or their first and a fourth.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Brandon realizes now that the NFL is a business and word of mouth and verbal promises mean absolutely nothing.

Both Bowlen and McD will be looking at extending Marshall at a bargaining rate to save money and Marshall will be looking at securing his future financially while he's playing and long after he retires.

Brandon would be most effective and impactful only to those teams that already have the right offensive pieces in place and all these teams are missing is that elite WR to get them to the SB.

Teams that come to mind who could use the services of BMarsh would be the Saints, Texans, Ravens, Eagles, Jets, 49ers, and Chicago, just to name a few.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Texans have Andre Johnson.
49ers will let Crabtree be the man.
Offense is not the Saints' problem.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Texans have Andre Johnson.
49ers will let Crabtree be the man.
Offense is not the Saints' problem.
This I know. The point is Andre Johnson & Brandon Marshall would be a formidable duo.

As would Crabtree & Marshall.

And as would Colson, Mechem, and Marshall with the Saints, would give Brees a hell of a trio of WR's to throw to.

I'd say good luck to any Defensive coordinator trying to come up game plan to stop that type of talent at WR.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
meangene
Ring of Famer

I think Marshall has finally woken up to the fact that to get the payday he wants, he is going to have to keep his mouth shut, stay out of trouble and just play. Do I trust him as far as I can throw him once he gets big money? NO. But, maybe, just maybe, we can get fair value for him after this season. There will be some decent receivers in the draft and some potential free agent wide-outs I would be more comfortable paying big bucks to. A first and maybe a third sound just about right depending on how high in the first we are talking. Golden Tate and Mt. Cody? Wow!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
This I know. The point is Andre Johnson & Brandon Marshall would be a formidable duo.

As would Crabtree & Marshall.

And as would Colson, Mechem, and Marshall with the Saints, would give Brees a hell of a trio of WR's to throw to.

I'd say good luck to any Defensive coordinator trying to come up game plan to stop that type of talent at WR.

all of which cost money...wont happen
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Brandon realizes now that the NFL is a business and word of mouth and verbal promises mean absolutely nothing.

Both Bowlen and McD will be looking at extending Marshall at a bargaining rate to save money and Marshall will be looking at securing his future financially while he's playing and long after he retires.

Brandon would be most effective and impactful only to those teams that already have the right offensive pieces in place and all these teams are missing is that elite WR to get them to the SB.

Teams that come to mind who could use the services of BMarsh would be the Saints, Texans, Ravens, Eagles, Jets, 49ers, and Chicago, just to name a few.

Saints - No - They have tons of talent at reciever and a more consistent Colston
Texans - Andre Johnson - top 4 reciever in the game
Eagles - DeShaun Jackson - he is their guy for some time.
Raven - maybe
Jets - Not a superbowl type team - just traded for Braylon Edwards so NO.
49ers - Not a good fit
Chicago - your favorit team - except they have nothing to give up.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

the Broncos...they can't afford to lose him
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Baltimore would be a team that could use some upgrades on WR, Clayton is not that good and the expiry date on Derrick Mason is fast approaching, they have a young RB, QB and offensive line and a good defense.

Jacksonville could be a target as well, Torry Holt is over the hill and they could use a compliment to Sims-Walker who played with Marshall in college, they could form a strong duo.

Marshall isn't much of a Parcells guy, but Miami could be looking for help at WR, Bess is decent but they need a big target.

I consider Buffalo and Washington as outsiders, both teams could use a big target at WR to complement their speedsters (Evans, Moss).

In the category of things that will not happens, St Louis, Tampa Bay and Cleveland could all use a player who can catch the ball, but I doubt any of those 3 will make a big move on a player like Marshall.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Just keep Brandon. I dont get why you guys are so hellbent on getting rid of a stud for younger players who might, in fact, be complete ****.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Just keep Brandon. I dont get why you guys are so hellbent on getting rid of a stud for younger players who might, in fact, be complete ****.
Ya,

I hope we can keep him. I hope we resign him at a somewhat affordable rate, cuz we need to resign dumervil
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
Popps
It's so easy

Problem is, we don't know what Marshall expects. One could assume that he envisions himself an elite receiver. He's certainly talented, but of course... there's a lot of potential problems that come with him. How does he behave once he gets his payday, etc?

I don't see any possible way a team ships a 1 and a 2 for him, so my hope is that he extends at a reasonable rate. He's still a sneeze away from a major suspension, so from Denver's perspective, that has to be considered.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
Ya,

I hope we can keep him. I hope we resign him at a somewhat affordable rate, cuz we need to resign dumervil
Yes.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

I'd venture a guess that his trade value isn't all that high. He's on pace for barely 1000 yards and is a complete and total **** up off the field. I'd say his value would be similar to someone like Braylon Edwards. Maybe a couple mid rounders with one conditionally reaching as high as 2nd round and a few lower tier players.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Problem is, we don't know what Marshall expects. One could assume that he envisions himself an elite receiver. He's certainly talented, but of course... there's a lot of potential problems that come with him. How does he behave once he gets his payday, etc?

I don't see any possible way a team ships a 1 and a 2 for him, so my hope is that he extends at a reasonable rate. He's still a sneeze away from a major suspension, so from Denver's perspective, that has to be considered.
ya, lets hope other teams dont throw out a lot of offers for him, so he realizes his value is not as high as he thinks it is, especially with his off the field problems.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
I'd venture a guess that his trade value isn't all that high. He's on pace for barely 1000 yards and is a complete and total **** up off the field. I'd say his value would be similar to someone like Braylon Edwards. Maybe a couple mid rounders with one conditionally reaching as high as 2nd round and a few lower tier players.

lets hope the other 31 nfl teams think like that too, and dont throw huge offers at him. That way we can keep him at a steal, because I am sure we wont be able to keep dumervill at 500,000 right now. Right the Broncos have a team of a bunch of steals, lets hope we can resign most of them at an affordable rate.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Marshall was just on "The After Party with Jay Glazer" and he said that he still feels the same way he did in the offseason. He wouldn't elaborate on how he felt, but Glazer asked him if he just wants to get paid and Marshall said "basically"
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #21
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Saints - No - They have tons of talent at reciever and a more consistent Colston.

Brandon would make a perfect book-end with Colston and give Breeze another weapon especially in the Red Zone. Marshall is a step up from Mechem.

Texans - Andre Johnson - top 4 reciever in the game
Marshall with Johnson means teams won't be able to double team Johnson as often.

Eagles - DeShaun Jackson - he is their guy for some time.
Jackson would be even more dangerous with teams having to account for Brandon as well.

Raven - maybe
?

Jets - Not a superbowl type team - just traded for Braylon Edwards so NO.
Fair enough.

49ers - Not a good fit.
Marshall would be a great fit to compliment Crabtree. And Singletary can definitely keep Brandon in line.

Chicago - your favorit team - except they have nothing to give up.
The Broncos are still my favorite team, I just don't have the viceral hate for the Bears and Cutler like some of my esteemed Bronco fans have shown. You wouldn't be one of those fans who fall into the viceral hate crowd....would you
Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

The Saints just drafted Meachem last year. They're not going to replace him this quickly. You're dreaming.

Texans are not going to invest in a wideout when they so badly need help on D.

Eagles do actually make some sense, as they could use a big possession type guy.

Could see the Ravens as well.

Jets won't happen.

Niners won't happen.

Chicago won't happen. They're not a front office that pays big money, and they're certainly not going to do so for a guy who has flashes but is inconsistent. ESPECIALLY when they need so much help on D and OL.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
ya, lets hope other teams dont throw out a lot of offers for him, so he realizes his value is not as high as he thinks it is, especially with his off the field problems.
What you and Pops are missing here is that Brandon can still elect to leave Denver to go to another team that's ready to win now and for less money the NE Broncos would throw at him.

Lets face it, Bmarsh won't be able to put up great stats with dink and dunk noodle arm Orton throwing him the ball.

What Brandon is faced with is playing alongside an inconsistent QB's throwing ability, lower stat out put, and a franchise that will try and sign him for the lowest contract amount they believe they can get away with.

Brandon can't make it to any Pro Bowls with Orton throwing him the ball and McD spreading the ball around. So meanwhile Marshall will find himself missing Pro Bowls and getting riped off with his new contract while continuing to play for a team thats in a rebuilding phase.

Remember, Brandon wants to achieve the following:
1) Big payday,
2) Put up great stats,
3) Make trips to the Pro Bowl,
4) Make it to the playoffs,
5) Go to the SB
6) Win a few SB's during a 12-16 year career,
7) And make it to the HOF

The only question is can how many of those 7 goals can Brandon Marshall achieve here in Denver.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Yeah, lots of those 7-4 rebuilding teams in the league.

Christ, you're stupid rasta.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
What you and Pops are missing here is that Brandon can still elect to leave Denver to go to another team that's ready to win now and for less money the NE Broncos would throw at him.
Your definition of RESTRICTED free agent is obviously different from the NFL's. Unless something happens with the CBA in the next month or two, by definition, Marshall cannot go anywhere else for less money. Period.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote