The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Moreno flexed his muscles against Giants

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13882577

There is occasional clamoring among fans to see Peyton Hillis, which is understandable.

The Broncos running back is a likeable, folksy kid from Arkansas who had surprising success as a seventh-round rookie last season thanks to a refreshing, bow-the-neck running style. But if brute strength is what people want, did they see how Broncos rookie Knowshon Moreno ran Thursday night against the New York Giants? Moreno ran with authority.

On several of his runs, Giants defenders gave him the ole treatment rather than take him head on.

"It was a tough, physical game against a really good team and we had some success running," Moreno said, his left wrist wrapped in a bandage afterward. "The offensive line did a great job all night opening holes. We were just out there running, having fun."

Moreno has averaged 88.3 yards rushing in the Broncos' last three games, on 5.6 yards per carry. His 688 rushing yards are nearly 200 more than the next-best rookie, Arizona's Beanie Wells.

Against the Giants, Moreno not only ran aggressively, he ran with two hands on the ball, a reaction to losing his fourth fumble Sunday against San Diego.

Doesn't running with two hands on the ball crimp his fluidity?

"Oh, no," he said. "That's the main thing, ball protection. I put an extra emphasis."

Bang for the buck.

Some players are drafted into money. Elvis Dumervil will soon enough get his money the old-fashioned way he will have earned it.

As he stands now, in the upright outside linebacker position, Dumervil may be the league's most underpaid player, with a fourth-year minimum salary of $535,000 and NFL-best 14 sacks.

Compare Dumervil's production value to Dwight Freeney, who has 9 1/2 sacks and a $31 million guarantee and Broncos rookie Robert Ayers, who has no sacks and a $9.7 million guarantee.

For all the big-dollar decisions confronting the Broncos in the offseason quarterback Kyle Orton, receiver Brandon Marshall and guard Chris Kuper will join Dumervil as restricted free agents don't be surprised if the NFL's top pass rusher becomes the team's No. 1 priority.

The Broncos will not address any contract situation until season's end.

Dawkins backs it up.

Brian Dawkins can talk the talk and walk the walk.

Dawkins, 36, led a players- only meeting earlier in the week, then led all players on both sides Thursday with eight solo tackles. He also forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, had two pass deflections and was credited with a quarterback hit. That's the kind of line that can win a guy a defensive player-of- the-week honor.

"He's been playing like he's 25 all year," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "His spirit, I've said it a number of times already, I don't think I'll ever be around another player that has the spirit that Brian Dawkins has."

Footnotes.

Matt Prater's five touchbacks Thursday were one off the team record. Micah Knorr had six in the 2004 season opener at Invesco Field at Mile High. . . . For a few reasons, the Broncos will have interest in the Chargers-Chiefs game Sunday in San Diego. The 7-4 Broncos are a half-game behind the Chargers for the AFC West lead and the 3-7 Chiefs will host the Broncos next week.
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Still not sure Moreno is worth the $....but I like his attitude and he's developing into a pro's pro which will mean he only gets better with time.

I'd love to see us address the QB2 spot soon!
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Still not sure Moreno is worth the $
He's leading all rookies in rushing by a substantial margin. I'd say that's worth the money.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
He's leading all rookies in rushing by a substantial margin. I'd say that's worth the money.
I think what he means is he worth #12 pick money could've had Mccoy in the second rd
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I think what he means is he worth #12 pick money could've had Mccoy in the second rd
Moreno will be special.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Considering that we landed the best running back in the draft (to this point) I'd say he's worth the money.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

The move he made in the hole in the first half was straight-up sick. I jumped up on a yard gain.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

He's a chain-mover.

Some doofs I've seen really expect he should be the greatest back in Bronco history since he was drafted at 12. Stupid, let the kid play.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wow. All that. He did OK. He still hasnt gained 100 yards yet nor has he popped off very many big runs.

But on a side note, the running game seems a little better without an ailing Hamilton floundering.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Wow. All that. He did OK. He still hasnt gained 100 yards yet nor has he popped off very many big runs.

But on a side note, the running game seems a little better without an ailing Hamilton floundering.
Honestly, a bs holding call is the only thing that set him back. The kid is getting better and is showing more explosiveness and some moves you don't see from many backs in this league.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post

People really get hung up on the whole 100 yard game thing, but two things really factor in there:

1. He didn't start any games until week five and he's been splitting carries with Buck.

2. They've really gotten away from running the ball in the 4th quarters when most guys start piling up the yards.

Adrian Peterson has only crossed the 100 yard barrier 3 times this season and he's fumbled more than Moreno, but nobody's freaking out about that. It's all good.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
People really get hung up on the whole 100 yard game thing...
I was going to respond similarly earlier but then realized why bother with lex. But the 100 yard thing isn't a big deal. Only a handful of backs are doing it on a regular basis with the main reason of course being that they're getting more carries!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote