The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Woody's Mailbag: Simms' state of mind

Woody's Mailbag: Simms' state of mind

Bill in Grand Junction asks Woody if Chris Simms got yanked too soon against the Chargers

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Posted: 11/26/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Woody: I'll admit that I was excited, and a bit more optimistic, when Kyle Orton entered the game against the Chargers and drove them right down the field. But do you think the quick hook that Chris Simms got from Josh McDaniels did more harm than good? What do you imagine Simms' mental state of mind is right about now? We may need him later in the season.

-- Bill, Grand Junction

Bill: The standing O for Orton was the loudest I've heard for a player entering a game in the second quarter since I've been covering the Broncos (1974). Of course, quarterbacks take over in the second half, not after three possessions. I didn't think Simms got an honest chance, and that has nothing to with the column I wrote recommending that he start. Simms is through in Denver, probably in the NFL. He looked like a defeated man in the locker room after the game. I believe he knew it was over for him, permanently. But he handled the questions well and was thoughtful.

If Orton is hurt again, what's going to be the reaction if Simms is told to go in? (I will address the Tom Brandstater issue later in the mailbag) You'll turn off the TV. People will turn their heads away as if they're afraid they'll turn to salt. The other players will turn their bodies around and think "Oh, no." Someone whom I trust, who had played with Simms in Tampa Bay, told me that after Simms' devastating injury, for a while, he didn't want to play football again, which is understandable, and Jon Gruden thought he had become too soft and couldn't play again. Gruden wouldn't even talk to him in the hallway.

But Simms seemed to have turned it around and wanted to prove he could come back. Josh McDaniels believed it. He gave Simms a two-year, $6 million deal when most backup QBs are good for $1 million contracts. Unlike some people who were busier looking at and for me during the off-season and camp workouts, I saw enough this is not rocket surgery, and this, unlike some others, is not my first rodeo to know that Simms had the stronger arm and understood the Broncos system as well as Orton. Simms looked better than Orton in the first exhibition, then got hurt. He hasn't been quite the same since.

Given he way Orton had struggled, I honestly thought starting Simms against Washington would be a good idea. I may be stupid, but I knew McDaniels wouldn't do it. But, lo and behold, Simms played . . . and played badly. And when he did start against San Diego, on his first pass, he held onto the ball too long . . . and fumbled. But if Orton had played the entire game, he would have done as poorly. This was a setup game. No way the Broncos would win (and I did pick this one right) after what happened here last year, what happened in the first game, what was going in the division race and how badly Denver is playing overall. They don't have the same intensity, the same motivation to prove people wrong. And the game plans are abandoned when they get behind, and the Broncos throw the ball all the time (short) and even try a silly onsides kick.

So blame all of it on Simms or me, I don't care, but it's not just the quarterback. And Orton is hurting. McDaniels should have gotten him out of there when the team had no chance. I think he'll still be hobbled against the Giants and not be able to put enough pressure on his foot. It wasn't Orton's fault that Moreno fumbled at the goal line, but the Broncos weren't going to win, anyway. San Diego has a better team.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13867938
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

God, Woody's a ****ing ****head. I used to like him a lot, but this whole Simms debacle -- with 'Drow going down with the ship -- has caused him to lose his mind.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

jesus, does woody HATE the broncos? what is his problem?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
He doesn't, but he's the ultimate fairweather columnist.

I remember in '97, when we had lost a couple big games against SF and KC, the he declared the season over and that Elway would never win a title.

Maybe we needed the Woody "We're Doomed!" mojo all along.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
It's the alcohol. Kills brain cells. Combined with pills, well...you get the idea.

Never drink when you drive (because the booze bottles won't fit on the dashboard!)

Why doesn't WoodMan just put on his gold skirt and powder blue pom poms? It's painfully clear who he backs, his wrinkled boyfriend down south.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

If he wrote what fans wanted to hear, true or not, he wouldn't have a job. The whole idea of a columnist is to find a way to get readers to take a pro or con side of a view point. The pro side is already out there usually, and it is easier to stir up emotion with a neg. viewpoint.
There is a reason networks only cover the bad news!!!!
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote