The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #201
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
What I'm basically saying is that Hillis was not his guy type..
Absolutely incorrect.

McDaniels' "type of guy" is a productive back.

In fact, Hillis much resembles Kevin Faulk in that he appears to have a range of skills. (Receiving, etc.) He absolutely fits what the offense does.

There's nothing physically about Hillis that doesn't fit.

So, you're left with two options of what to believe...

1. McDaniels and Shanahan both purposely chose to harm their own teams by not making Hillis a starting RB.

2. McDaniels and Shanahan saw what scouts saw in Hillis, in that he has problems with his assignments and receiving coaching properly.

Take your pick.

Quote:
There have been the same conclusions drawn that Cutler was not his guy type either.
Correct. An inaccurate, turnover-prone QB with questionable leadership and big salary demands wasn't McDaniels type of guy. Hence, he traded him.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #202
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Absolutely incorrect.

McDaniels' "type of guy" is a productive back.

In fact, Hillis much resembles Kevin Faulk in that he appears to have a range of skills. (Receiving, etc.) He absolutely fits what the offense does.

There's nothing physically about Hillis that doesn't fit.

So, you're left with two options of what to believe...

1. McDaniels and Shanahan both purposely chose to harm their own teams by not making Hillis a starting RB.

2. McDaniels and Shanahan saw what scouts saw in Hillis, in that he has problems with his assignments and receiving coaching properly.

Take your pick.

Correct. An inaccurate, turnover-prone QB with questionable leadership and big salary demands wasn't McDaniels type of guy. Hence, he traded him.
I want to see concrete proof, concrete fundamental proof that what you're saying about Hillis inability to learn a system is true.
He was a FB, NOT a RB, not that he couldn't have excelled as RB, I'm just saying he was our FB and was also a ST player. Still he started 6 games for us right after the injuries started to pile up, and the guy delivered. He did delivered
He wasn't drafted to be our #1 RB, Shanahan drafted his RB's last year, that's why we had 6 RB's in front of him that Shanahan viewed as his fleet of runners, and not necessarily a reason to think Hillis wasn't capable of handling the duties.

You can say all you want, and conjecture every theory you want, you still can't dispute Hillis numbers from last year making a case to totally disapprove what you and others are saying.
Can't argue with the numbers he put up in 6 games he started last year.
How can you ignore those numbers coming into this season and NOT think he could have the same impact in our offense as he did last year?

Moreno on the otherhand 4 TD and 4 fumbles in 10 games he's started this year. It took a good spat with Marshall a week ago to wake his ass up and start producing, as it was evident in the game against the Giants.

His production has been anemic at best. You can make a case Moreno leads all rookies in yards, in the same way I can make a case Cutler was a Pro-Bowl QB.
The bottom line is, what have you done for me lately...

You're left with two options here...
Believe what you want to believe by ignoring statistics that total proves what you're saying worng?

Or consider the stats and come up with substantial evidence to prove your point to me and all others.
We will wait...

Last edited by strafen; 11-28-2009 at 10:56 AM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #203
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Mcd has a taken a bold and wise decision in trading cutler.
I applaud him for that.

But, i still don't understand why he didn't start Hillis in short yardage situations.
Hillis is a beast..He is much better than Moreno in Short yardage situations.

Also, Moreno runs better outside.if you play good defensive teams like PIT and BAL, it doesnt work as they close the gaps fast. We can use Hillis in those games as he runs hard.

Thats my opinion. I hope our coach realizes this and plays him(at least in short yardage situations).
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #204
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Let's stop and think a little bit here...

No, he was not the best option nor was he was given the chance to become the best option...

Way before the preseason started, and WAY before McD could've have real proof Hillis was or was not his best option McD already went in with his plan to find guys that would be closer to what he had in New England and as soon as McD got the chance to assemble his guys, he did.
He brought in Cbuck, Lamont Jordan and drafted Moreno.

So that you coud understand, I'm going to dumb it down for you...

What that means is C-Buck, Moreno and Jordan were going to be the main components of his running game plan.
Not hillis.
Independently from any thing Hillis would have done, McD was going to stick with his 3 RB's shine, rain, or eathquake.

You know that, I know that, everybody knows that.

There's absolutely ZERO proof that Hillis absence on the field is due to his lack of skills (physical) or mental capacity to learn the system. That's preposterous!

Hillis didn't resemble anything McD had in New England, therefore he didn't know what to do with him...

If anybody here is going to challenge the intelligence of Hillis, they should start by doing so with McD, who BTW, I admire, but it frustrates me that he hasn't found a way to plug Hillis into the offense, but insist on using Lamont Jordan, and give Moreno plenty of chances despite his fumblelitis.

It sounds to me like McD has double standards. He knew he should've gone defense in the 1st round, he ****ed up, so Moreno is going to play no matter how many times he ****s up himself.
Eventually he's going to pull thru, we all hope, but...
That was just dumb.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #205
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Like OH mai gawd...like...McDaniels is like a reverse racist and junk...cuz like he starts black players over like some white players? Like totally...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #206
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Like OH mai gawd...like...McDaniels is like a reverse racist and junk...cuz like he starts black players over like some white players? Like totally...

Lay of the Bong Pipe Surfer Dude!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #207
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
you're an idiot. can't you take a joke without going off into some nonsensical political rant?
No, Rastaman isn't capable of that. He can't quite grasp the concept that politics is supposed to stay in WPR. Based on is posting track record, it isn't too surprising that he can't grasp simple concepts like that.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #208
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I want to see concrete proof, concrete fundamental proof that what you're saying about Hillis inability to learn a system is true.
Hey, I didn't come up with it. It's a rep that's followed him since college. Did you even read the OP? The info is from a scouting report. Don't shoot the messenger.

Again, I've been a fan of Hillis. But, I'm also on board with reality when two great offensive coaches choose to make a 7th rounder a back-up instead of a starter.

Quote:
You can say all you want, and conjecture every theory you want, you still can't dispute Hillis numbers from last year making a case to totally disapprove what you and others are saying.
Hillis had a couple of great games. You won't find one poster here who thinks he isn't physically talented.

However, we've inserted two very productive RBs in front of him.

Again, unless you have "concrete proof" that there is a conspiracy at hand... then the next most logical explanation for two great offensive coaches burying him in the depth chart is that he's got problems outside of his physical ability. (An assessment the enclosed scouting report proffers before he even left college.)

Quote:
It took a good spat with Marshall .
Of course it didn't.

Moreno averaged 8 yards a game against San Diego and had a TD ruled a fumble.

Marshall was the one who had the bad game against San Diego.

Perhaps the spat helped Marshall?

Quote:
Believe what you want to believe by ignoring statistics that total proves what you're saying worng?
Again, Shanahan used ALL options instead of making Hillis a starter.

McDaniels has buried him in the depth chart.

The only one that seems to be ignoring reality is you.

Hillis had a couple of nice games in a zone blocking scheme last season. He's failed to impress a second coaching staff, and he remains a back-up.

So, unless you believe that Shanahan and McDaniels purposely choose to hurt their own team, your next option is to actually consider the vast speculation that Hillis has problems with coaching.

Again, you're not talking to a Hillis-basher, here. Last season, I would have pegged him as a sure starter this year. But, often times.. things aren't as they meet the fans' eyes.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #209
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
That was just dumb.
Ironically, that's the most intelligent thing I've ever read from you in this forum.
That said, care to elaborate a little bit to enhance us with your brilliance?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #210
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
not sure if has been mentioned - b/c I'm not going to read 8 pages of flaming - but if Hillis doesn't injure his hammy last season, he is probably the starting rb right now, cutler is the qb and shanny is the coach.
And we would then still have the same defense, Slowik and the Club Med persona and wind up 5 -11, maybe 7-9 if we were lucky
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #211
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
And we would then still have the same defense, Slowik and the Club Med persona and wind up 5 -11, maybe 7-9 if we were lucky
I think we would've made the play-offs for sure, had Hillis not gotten injured.
At the same time we would've gotten annihilated in the play-offs which Bowlen could still had made the decision to fire Shanny.
I think nothing short of a AFC Conference game or a SB appearance could have saved Shanny's ass...
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #212
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
He was a FB, NOT a RB, not that he couldn't have excelled as RB, I'm just saying he was our FB and was also a ST player. Still he started 6 games for us right after the injuries started to pile up, and the guy delivered. He did delivered
He wasn't drafted to be our #1 RB, Shanahan drafted his RB's last year, that's why we had 6 RB's in front of him that Shanahan viewed as his fleet of runners, and not necessarily a reason to think Hillis wasn't capable of handling the duties.

Can't argue with the numbers he put up in 6 games he started last year.
How can you ignore those numbers coming into this season and NOT think he could have the same impact in our offense as he did last year?

Moreno on the otherhand 4 TD and 4 fumbles in 10 games he's started this year. It took a good spat with Marshall a week ago to wake his ass up and start producing, as it was evident in the game against the Giants.

His production has been anemic at best. You can make a case Moreno leads all rookies in yards, in the same way I can make a case Cutler was a Pro-Bowl QB.
The bottom line is, what have you done for me lately...

Or consider the stats and come up with substantial evidence to prove your point to me and all others.
We will wait...
I trust what a certain insider here once told me....it echos what Pops wrote...Hillis does not practice hard and is a little....well, clueless.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #213
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
No, Rastaman isn't capable of that. He can't quite grasp the concept that politics is supposed to stay in WPR. Based on is posting track record, it isn't too surprising that he can't grasp simple concepts like that.
Dude! you're entitled your narrow minded conservative challenged opinions, can't fault for that. But believe me thats all you have are your opinions and of course your opinions leave a lot to be desired. Have a nice day.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #214
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I trust what a certain insider here once told me....it echos what Pops wrote...Hillis does not practice hard and is a little....well, clueless.
I still haven't heard any concrete evidence on what you guys claim about Hillis other than a friend of a friend heard this about Hillis. A cousin of Popps who is a friend of an insider here told me...

Ok. Enough of that.
Now, if I had to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that what they're talking about Hillis is true, then, how in the hell has that affected his performance, IF EVER?

Point out to me a bad game Hillis has had dating back to last year that reflects his poor practice habits?
And don't count this year, he's had like 4 lame carries for 1 TD.
Are you sure is not Moreno they/you're talking about?

What I want to know is how you guys, yes YOU who were wowed by Hillis performance last year, have been brainwashed by some to all of the sudden say crap about the guy who has not played any significant time since his injury last year that would prove what you're saying. Unbelievable!!!
Show me what you've seen this year so I can see with my own eyes.

To totally ignore the impact and what Hillis did for us last year and to now regard him as a stupid player bordering retardation, is just as retarded as what you're all saying. Unbelievable how people can have their judgment changed by somebody who has more posts than them.

All I have is what the guy did last year, and so far, I haven't found any proof that indicates he's a different player than he was last year. None!
You guys are a freaking joke. Seriously.
You can call me anything you want, apologist, Hillis defenders, whatever, that's fine, but prove what you're saying.
I will do the same thing (defend) for anybody in the same position not able to speak for themselves. If you're going to slander somebody, I want proof. I want to see the truth.

I just got the feeling that you guys are trying to justify McDaniels decision not to play Hillis. Hey, I'm a McDaniel 100% supporter, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make an ass out of myself to justify, and defend bad decisions made by him. No.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #215
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Just more gossip and allegations. There's no video evidence or players coming forward publicly to prove or say Hillis is lazy and doesn't practice hard.

Point is, Hillis got caught up in all the upheaval of the firing of Shanny and the hiring of McDaniel's, and was ambushed both mentally and physically of getting regulated to Special Teams and totally snubbed from practicing with the first team offense to learn McD's new Offense and getting his timing down.

In Hillis's mind he proved thru his brief opportunity/injury shortened 2008 season what his capabilities and contributions he could have provided in 2009 with the first team offense if given a chance.

Unless Moreno or Buckhalter suffer season ending injuries like what occurred to the Broncos running corp last season......Hillis knows he will never get ample opportunities to start for several games to show case his talent.

Hillis may have decided he no longer wants to be a role player and sacrifice his talents as a glorified utility player; whereas like in college he played second fiddle to Jones and McFadden while at Arkansas.

Hillis knows getting regulated to special teams is not the best road to take when you're trying to land a financial secure contract in the NFL to ensure yourself and love ones are taken care of at the end of your brief NFL career.

Hillis may go to McDaniel's at the end of the season and ask for his outright release in the hopes of another team will pick him up and give him a chance to fight for a starting job as the FB or TB. I'm sure Hillis in a professional business manner can just say to McD that he understands the direction-choice-and decision with the RB's and just say its a scheme that doesn't best play to his talent and move on. No big deal b/c McD only wants players that buy into his system playing for him anyway.

After all Hillis is only a 7th round draft pick which the last time I checked 7th rnd picks cost very little money to sign and rarely make the team anyway.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #216
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I still haven't heard any concrete evidence on what you guys claim about Hillis other than a friend of a friend heard this about Hillis. A cousin of Popps who is a friend of an insider here told me...

Ok. Enough of that.
Now, if I had to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that what they're talking about Hillis is true, then, how in the hell has that affected his performance, IF EVER?

Point out to me a bad game Hillis has had dating back to last year that reflects his poor practice habits?

What I want to know is how you guys, yes YOU who were wowed by Hillis performance last year, have been brainwashed by some to all of the sudden say crap about the guy who has not played any significant time since his injury last year that would prove what you're saying. Unbelievable!!!

To totally ignore the impact and what Hillis did for us last year and to now regard him as a stupid player bordering retardation, is just as retarded as what you're all saying. Unbelievable how people can have their judgment changed by somebody who has more posts than them.

All I have is what the guy did last year, and so far, I haven't found any proof that indicates he's a different player than he was last year. None!
You can call me anything you want, apologist, Hillis defenders, whatever, that's fine, but prove what you're saying.
I will do the same thing (defend) for anybody in the same position not able to speak for themselves. If you're going to slander somebody, I want proof. I want to see the truth.

I just got the feeling that you guys are trying to justify McDaniels decision not to play Hillis. Hey, I'm a McDaniel 100% supporter, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make an ass out of myself to justify, and defend bad decisions made by him. No.
Rep!.....Well stated. You spoke the Truth and hopefully the Hillis slanderist have learned something.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #217
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I still haven't heard any concrete evidence on what you guys claim about Hillis .
Fist off, yes you have. You've read an unbiased scouting report from BEFORE HE WAS DRAFTED.

Secondly, the burden of proof isn't on us, it's on you.

YOU need to prove to the rest of the logical world why there's a conspiracy. The only people I've see on this board that buy into any of this conspiracy talk are haters of the current administration, or people who simply need something to complain about.

Two great offensive coaches have chosen to bury Hillis on the depth chart when they have enough healthy players to do so.

Again, YOU need to provide the proof that Shanahan and McDaniels intentionally chose to harm their own teams. Until then, the rest of the thinking universe will use simple, obvious deductive reasoning in that Hillis' inability to even beat out Larsen for time at FB is a clear indicator that he has problems doing his job.

So, quit calling for the rest of the planet to prove your conspiracy theory INCORRECT. YOU need to show that this conspiracy involving Shanahan and McDaniels exists.

Otherwise, we'll all go with the very logical and evidence-supported explanation.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #218
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Fist off, yes you have. You've read an unbiased scouting report from BEFORE HE WAS DRAFTED.

YOU need to prove to the rest of the logical world why there's a conspiracy. The only people I've see on this board that buy into any of this conspiracy talk are haters of the current administration, or people who simply need something to complain about.

Two great offensive coaches have chosen to bury Hillis on the depth chart when they have enough healthy players to do so.

Again, YOU need to provide the proof that Shanahan and McDaniels intentionally chose to harm their own teams. Until then, the rest of the thinking universe will use simple, obvious deductive reasoning in that Hillis' inability to even beat out Larsen for time at FB is a clear indicator that he has problems doing his job.

So, quit calling for the rest of the planet to prove your conspiracy theory INCORRECT. YOU need to show that this conspiracy involving Shanahan and McDaniels exists.

Otherwise, we'll all go with the very logical and evidence-supported explanation.
Meh! Hillis just needs to get another opportunity with another team and coach that will appreciate and best utlize his power running and pass catching ability out of the back field. Hopefully that team will be the Texans.

Remember, Hillis doesn't believe he's a Special teams player and McDanie's believes he is. So it looks like you have two individuals that have a differing of opinions.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #219
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:

Wait!
Don't turn the tables on me now, bud!
I'm the one asking for proof. The burden of proof is on you guys talking about something that has not been made clear by anybody...

Do you think if Shanahan was still our headcoach that Hillis would still be at this point more than half-way thru the season with only 4-5 carries?
Come on, now! Tell me if you really think that that would be the case.
Just asking you...

Second, Hillis has a lot of talents. He can catch the ball, he can run the ball and he can power run the ball.
Why not put the shadow of the doubt on McDaniels' inability to find a spot in his offense for a guy like that?
Why has he not cut Hillis in a heartbeat like he did with Jack Williams and Brett Kern?

If he can't beat Larsen out for FB playing time, then cut the guy. That simple.

Again I ask the question...
Why is Hillis not playing?
The excuses given so far are excuses that for what I hear, the guy shouldn't be occupying a roster spot, don't you think?
Why is he still on the team?

Last edited by strafen; 11-29-2009 at 11:01 AM..
Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #220
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

Ok. Enough of that.

Bob Turner pretty much decides who will be running the ball.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #221
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Wait!
I'm the one asking for proof. The burden of proof is on you guys talking about something that has not been made clear by anybody...

Do you think if Shanahan was still our headcoach that Hillis would still be at this point more than half-way thru the season with only 4-5 carries?
Just asking you...

Second, Hillis has a lot of talents. He can catch the ball, he can run the ball and he can power run the ball.
Why not put the shadow of the doubt on McDaniels' inability to find a spot in his offense for a guy like that?
Why has he not cut Hillis in a heartbeat like he did with Jack Williams and Brett Kern?

The excuses given so far are excuses that for what I hear, the guy shouldn't be occupying a roster spot, don't you think?
Maybe because he and Turner still think Hillis has possibilities. Duh. Keep making a fool of yourself, it's entertaining.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #222
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Wait!
You're asking people to prove a negative and you don't even realize it.

You ask for stats. What stats on the field could prove that someone is a slow learner? What you are asking for is BS.

Quote:
Just asking you...
If he chose to draft Moreno or some other RB, then yes.

Quote:
Not when he has other guys that can also do the very same things, only better.

Quote:
He is well aware of both what happened here last year and what happened to him last year in NE. Both teams were DECIMATED with injuries at the RB position and you can never have too many guys at that position.

Quote:
Nope. See above. It's NOT that simple.

Quote:
So guys should either be playing all the time or they should not be on the roster at all in your world? Sorry, but EVERY team has 5-10 guys who don't see the field at all or only see the field for special teams. Hence the reason why teams ARE REQUIRED to declare inactives every week.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #223
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

So what is next guys, Hillis is a franchise RB and McD is just clueless?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #224
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great McBronco16 View Post
So what is next guys, Hillis is a franchise RB and McD is just clueless?
Yea, our RBs are at like 5.0 and 4.4 a carry, but McDaniels is purposely benching a player he knows would help him win because he's not "his type of guy." (Whatever the **** that is.)
Old 11-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #225
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Wait!
But, how much more clear does it need to be made for you?

Two great offensive-minded coaches see Hillis as a back-up, despite him having (seemingly) apparent physical skills.

So, here's the math...

7 round draft pick
+
Shanahan putting him on the bench
+McDaniels putting him on the bench
+reputation for having problems with playbook and coaching

= There is a problem outside of his physical ability.

So, the burden of proof is on YOU to prove that McDaniels and Shanahan are purposely choosing to hurt their own teams.

Otherwise, it's a simple case of a player being outplayed by other players on the roster... as happens every single day in the NFL.