The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #1476
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
Why are we throwing Peyton Hillis under the bus? Because some think he is talented and misused, others have to paint him as nothing more than a bulked a version of Corky? I don't get it.

By the way, I don't think anyone is throwing him under the bus. In fact, most of us would like to see him earn more reps, and this wonderful, 1500 post gem was really created just to shed some potential light on why he might not be more involved.

It's blossomed into something much better, though.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #1477
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

By the way, I don't think anyone is throwing him under the bus. In fact, most of us would like to see him earn more reps, and this wonderful, 1500 post gem was really created just to shed some potential light on why he might not be more involved.

It's blossomed into something much better, though.
Potential light? You have never even been able to disclose your"source"

No, YOU threw him under the bus when many FLA state players had to be personally tutored.

Do you know the average wonderlic of the average running back?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #1478
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

You said he was too stupid to fathom MCD's "complicated running scheme".
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #1479
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

A trip down memory Lane:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This only works based on your opinion that Hillis is a Superstar RB after 6 qtrs of good football. I'm not on that bandwagon with you.

Quote:
Sub "extremely productive back" in for Superstar... and then go back and look at his production for us even before he began running on a regular basis, and then go back and look at his YPC average in college, where he came out considered a "tweener"... part RB, part FB.

No one is calling him a Superstar. But, if you've watched the team as long as some of us have, you quickly understand the value of this type of back.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #1480
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

A gem:

Quote:
He IS your power-back, as well as a good cut-back runner, and yea... he's dynamic. You're making a great case to keep him there and giving him 20-25 carries... intentionally or not.

Again, I think you're confusing the fact that he can do some other things with the notion that he needs to do those other things.

Terrell Davis was a great special teams player. He also had fantastic hands.
However, we never used him on STs and he didn't catch a lot of passes as his career progressed.

Hillis is obviously no TD, but he's highly effective at running the ball on 1st and 2nd downs. That's light-years more crucial to a coach than a guy who can run a circle route from the FB position, though he very well may do that as well.

Mike Shanahan needs a back to put in in 2nd and 5 on a regular basis. He hasn't had one in years. He found one in Hillis and that's why Shanahan said himself that he'll get a shot at RB, not in some sort of novelty role.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #1481
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think this one is good:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Hillis has more value than just as a RB. he has more talents that if he were used only as a RB would not get used. In the best interest of the team, we should get a workhorse RB in the draft, and use Hillis everywhere.
Hillis, can run the ball, lead block, catch out of the backfield, line up at TE, or WR, or at the slot, as an X-Factor H-Back type of player for this team he could be a very dangerous weapon. I never said he should be relegated to being a FB, but he should not be the primary RB on this team.
Shanahan sees what he can do with Hillis. Over the offseason he will come up with a package of plays specifically to get the ball into Hillis' hands, be it short yardage runs, FB Dives, screens, downfield passes. Next season Hillis won't be our starting RB, but he will be all over the field contributing in a lot of different ways.
Do you realize how dynamic he is? he can get the job done at RB if we had to use him there, but that is just a waste of his talent. he could be so much more than just a power back in a RBBC, why underuse him, when we could find interesting ways to get the ball in his hands while also having him available if we need him to run the ball.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #1482
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Shanahan is an idiot for not starting Hillis:

Quote:
Shanahan didn't ignore it. That's why he fed him the ball 22 times against the 3rd best run D in the league, and had him on the way to another 100+ yard game the next week before he was injured.
There's a reason Boyd, Bell, Pope etc. weren't seeing any carries.
Again, if we draft the next Jim Brown... we won't need Hillis to carry the ball for us. Until then, we need to continue to give him carries in 1st and 2nd down situations.
WILL Shanahan keep him running the ball? Who knows. Clearly Shanhan doesn't have a real good handle on things at all times or Hillis would have been getting carries earlier. (Along with a bunch of other examples I could give from this year.)
Old 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #1483
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
A trip down memory Lane:
Am I supposed to be ashamed of that post?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #1484
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Not bad:

Quote:
Well, the debates can end... at this point. But, as we saw in the 2nd half Sunday, Hillis brought something back to this offense we hadn't had since Mike Anderson.
We need a guy who can run 15 (minimum) times a game and bang out 4-6 yards on first down. Hillis could, and teams HAD to respect the run.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #1485
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Am I supposed to be ashamed of that post?
I don't think so.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #1486
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I like this plan:

Quote:
Get Hillis healthy... bring in a decent speed-back, split up the carries. Done deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
I think that should be the formula next year as well. Whether its with Hillis as the feature back and a burner is brought in or they draft a RB and use Hillis like a combo TE, FB, HB.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #1487
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Potential light? You have never even been able to disclose your"source"
I stated very clearly that someone sent me a PM. I also provided a very public source of the same speculation.

Quote:
No, YOU threw him under the bus when many FLA state players had to be personally tutored.
Ummm..... huh?

Quote:
Do you know the average wonderlic of the average running back?
I really don't care as long as they can do their job and earn their reps. Hopefully Peyton will again. Broncos fans are all pulling for him.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #1488
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Football 101, man:

Quote:
Look, dude... if you think we're going to move the ball with absolutely no running game against playoff-caliber teams, you're free to live out that fantasy.
I'm not being negative. The reality is that we're in a situation where we need to replace Hillis' production. We struggled to run the ball badly in the second half. We can't expect Cutler to walk on water every week with no run support.
It's football 101, man.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #1489
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
I like this plan:
The only problem is that they brought in two better backs.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #1490
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I like this plan:
That's what everyone is bummed about... Hillis has all of this talent and can't get himself on the field.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #1491
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Football 101, man:
Absolutely. Gotta run the ball. Was true then, it's true now.

Hopefully Peyton can "rethink his motives" and help his team win games.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #1492
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

You're a douchebag if you don't agree that Hillis is the best thing ever:

Quote:
I know, dude. I'm ****ing with you.
Honestly, though... besides a few douche-bags around here, everyone saw how different this team was with Hillis taking the bulk of the carries. I mean, it's night and day.
This is a real bummer, and especially to lose him on a fluke duck-pass like that. I just hope he can be back for the playoffs. Sounds like that's even questionable.
We need to do something. Bell is a fine back-up, but today solidified what I've been saying. We need a guy with a quick burst to the line and the power to break the first wave of tacklers. Hillis was that guy... as was Mike Anderson, R. Droughns and Terrell Davis. (All very different backs, but they all share that quick first burst to the line, the vision and the ability to break a tackle.)
I think we need to look out of house, now. Pretty much no choice. That, or Pope. I actually like what I saw of him in the ATL game. But, there must be a reason Shanahan hasn't given him any carries since.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #1493
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Another goodie...

Quote:
The only issue with him may ironically be his size. 6'2" RBs sometimes have trouble staying healthy. I do agree that we should have another capable back, but until I see one on the roster... Hillis should be getting 20 carries a game.

People act as if it's simple to go out and grab the next Walter Payton. We've been subbing out RBs since TD left. We've got potentially very productive back in Hillis. He needs to start at running back. The nonsense about moving him to fullback full-time can come into play when there's someone on the roster who's better than he is.
Until then, our offense has looked the most efficient when he's back there taking the bulk of the carries.

Having a productive running game averaging 5 yards a carry and dictating the tempo of games isn't a "problem" we need to fix. Hillis' success isn't the same as Woodyard playing well. Hillis brought production to a position where there was none. End of story.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #1494
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This one applies pretty well to this thread:

Quote:
Oh look everyone, it's the guy who called the entire forum gay racists because Hillis is a popular player. No more great takes like that, boss?
Yea, you're right... Hillis has only had "one good game."

Far be it from me to make any suggestions to your epic posts, but you may want to go ahead and watch football at some point in your life. Then, watch the Broncos.

Then, actually read some posts around here and educate yourself.

Until then, I guess go back to telling us all that the only reason we like any players is because they're white.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #1495
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
You're a douchebag if you don't agree that Hillis is the best thing ever:
Sure, Hillis absolutely made our team better last year. The very thesis this thread was build upon was that fact.

I quoted MYSELF as a guy who saw him as a starter.

As for last year, he was clearly better than the slobs we were trotting out there.

Once again, the shame here is that he's been unable to contribute this year.
As a big believer in his talents, I think it's a shame.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #1496
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Look. The bottom line is this: there is a reason Hillis isn't on the field. This is another case of idiots who think they know more than the people who spend 20 hours a day pondering these decisions, and get paid millions of dollars to do it.

Same as the "Bowlen you gutless drunk" tools.

If Taco Johnny had a clue as to why Hillis isn't on the field, he wouldn't be running a Broncos fan site. Same goes for me. The only difference is that I defer to the people who know what the hell they're doing.

That's the easy truth.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #1497
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
This one applies pretty well to this thread:
Taco, you caught the part in the original post about me being a huge fan of his talents, right?

You keep repeating these posts which only reinforce that which I've already clearly stated.

Thanks... appreciate it, but I think I made it abundantly clear that I think he's talented.

Hence... his inability to get reps is disappointing.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #1498
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Hey this one is some fun:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
I hate to agree with Popps here, but you people are being retards about drafting a back #1. First this isn't a great tailback draft. Second, Shannahan doesn't draft tailbacks in the first round. Third, we get 4 RB's back next year, plus Hillis is running the ball very well. Fourth, we need to focus on Defense. We have a ton of weapons on offense. Chad Jackson even contributed and could be a nice #4 reciever.

Quote:
I don't believe anybody has said that we are absolutely drafting a runningback #1. Just that it's a position of need still, and that it could be addressed on day one.

Quote:
Correct, it's a position of need as long is it's put in proper order...
1. DE
2. DE
3. S
4. S
5. OLB (Strong)
6. RB
Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #1499
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Booya!

Quote:
Hard to say who might be available where we end up drafting. But if Chris Wells or Knowshown Moreno falls to us, it's a distinct possibility that we walk away with either of them. Either of those two falling to us at #1 is unlikely though.
Quote:
Again, I'm a bit confused as to why the emergence of a very solid runner in our system seems to have convinced people Shanahan will now take a RB high in the draft.

Last edited by Taco John; 12-16-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #1500
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Booya!
Your argument fails.

His reference to SHANAHAN taking a RB high in the draft was probably accurate.

McD changed the game plan.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote