The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Interesting take on why we flopped after the bye week.

Focusing on a Win

Cyborg_tiny by Jeremy Bolander on Nov 25, 2009 2:00 PM MST in 2009

It was all going so perfectly. The Denver Broncos had bested every foe, the defense looked historically effective. Every bounce was going their way and bad calls were easily dismissed and forgotten. They seemed capable of so much, and our concerns seemed so very little.

Where did they go wrong?

What happened during that fateful bye week back in October, that stripped their winning ways from them as surely as the first blasts of frigid fall storms stripped bare the leaves from the trees? What godly brow furrowed in consternation upon hearing they had cut their punter? What tendencies had the rest of the league learned of, what Pandora's box had been opened, its secrets strewn about like candy from a Pinata? Had they shown too many of their cards? Had they lost too many key players, and had their stars finally gotten too old, too outmatched? Was it our fault? Were we too proud of our team, too pleased with their success, too happy? Had we somehow angered the football gods? Woe!

No, it is all much simpler than that. Josh McDaniels made a mistake. Just a mistake, and darkness, rivaled only by winter at the poles, has ensued. As it had to.

Because some mistakes, though small, will eat away at you, little by little.

And that adds up.

Star-divide

As a baby, you very likely don't remember that you couldn't see.

Which isn't entirely accurate. You could see, but your perception was a blurry fog, a swirling mix of colors and shapes. Your understanding of this chaos was low, as was your comfort level with it. It takes an infant months to learn the skill of focusing its eyes, of sharpening and clarifying its view of reality. Those are hard months too, full of effort and exertion, the consistency of which few people maintain into adulthood.

What if, upon discovering the amount of toil required for a clear view of the world, you decided that you would rather take it easy, and work on teething, or grabbing your foot, or getting your head through the bars of your crib? What if you had decided to shift your focus elsewhere?

It is one thing to be blind. It is something else entirely to refuse to see.

Coming off a convincing win versus the Chargers, the Broncos and their 6-game winning streak went into team headquarters, high on victory, confident in their direction and in themselves. By late morning, the reporters had arrived to ask their questions of the coach and team, only to find that there was no team. A skeleton crew of coaches ghosted about, but the players were nowhere to be seen.

We didn't feel like it was in our best interest to go out there and do a lot of practicing this week so we didn't," coach Josh McDaniels said today. "We want to give them a few days to get their minds off football, and get refocused and ready to go."

Never has an eclipse stolen onto the scene with such quietude.

A week of no work in the middle of an NFL season is so risky as to be more foolish than any number of onside kicks and goal-line reaches combined. Even as the relaxing midseason vacation unfolded, many of us felt a tremor of unease, a nagging sense of disappointment, as reports from faraway places seemed to say that the rest of the league was continuing to move forward. Articles out of Baltimore talked about how the Ravens, in the midst of their own losing streak, hadn't taken any time off, and were back in pads and on the practice field, looking for answers.

One can only assume that McDaniels felt the Broncos had the answers that they themselves needed, as they turned their attention to scouting their own tendencies and addressing the weekly slow starts that were plaguing the Broncos offense. Though they talked at length about the importance of upcoming opponents, they took that critical time and chose to look backwards, at sunk costs and issues wholly irrelevant to the Ravens. In the NFL you are either moving forward or backward, either progressing or regressing as a team. Denver worked harder, perhaps, than any team in the league to come together through the offseason, under incredibly averse circumstances, and then at the first opportunity, they squandered that. When a team takes a week off, what they risk is their cohesiveness, their consistency. Some teams are good enough that such a setback can be overcome with a small amount of extra work. Denver wasn't that good yet. And now it shows.

In the example of the baby above, it should be noted that over time, the effort required to focus the eyes reduces, as the skills involved progress. In fact, you probably find now that it is, quite frankly, effortless to focus your eyes. Instead it takes excruciating effort to unfocus them and keep them that way, a sort of mirror reflection of the original endeavor. Any delay in the process of learning to focus the eyes MUST be made up eventually. If you never pay the piper, you will never be anything but blind.

Like that baby, the Broncos must learn again how to focus. The lens of the offseason was a picture of a team with no hope nor chance to win consistently. That lens clarified the Broncos' goals, but when they stopped to look back and reflect, they saw those questions answered, and that lens lost its ability to keep them focused. They have to recapture that, but in a different form, because that form is lost to them. Personally, I don't listen to them (the players and coaches) when they talk about focus and refocusing, etc. It is one of those things that is easy to talk about, and oft misunderstood in its importance. But then a player will say something which catches my ear. It is different. It is not a bromide. It is real, it is true, and within it, you might just think you hear the first rumblings of an unshakeable commitment.

"Iím done feeling the loss. Iím sick of it, and I know everybody else is. Itís been a long time since weíve won, so letís get back on the field and win a game. Thatís all we are talking about from here on out is just winning."

It was an emotional outburst from Kyle Orton, fueled by a frustration that goes beyond losing games. But like the white smoke that trails after a stunt plane, his next statement spelled out clearly where he was coming from:

"Good teams bounce back. Iíve lost four games in a row before in my career, and we went on a nine-game winning streak. Thatís what we need to do."

Indeed.

Throughout this short week, he has held onto that high-up thought, to the idea that when this thing turns around, it can turn around for good. Just yesterday he said,

"We started off-my rookie year, we lost three or four games in a row and came back and went on a nice long streak, so hopefully, we can do that. It just takes one (game) either way. If you lose one game, it is tough to get that winning feeling back and (it) just kind of builds and builds and builds the more you go. It just takes one win for us. We're not going to be given the win, by any means. We've got to go out and earn it and take it. Once you get that (winning) feeling, it is a lot easier to keep it on that roll, too."

Kyle can't quite put the words to it, but what he is talking about here is the virtue of focus. Losses tend to lead to losses because the mind thinks about the situation, not the future. It takes a sublime effort to continually pull the mind away from the problems of the here and now and to focus it on goals, on the future. The true cost, however, comes in the consistency with which you must maintain this effort. This isn't a once-a-week endeavor. Practice is about more than experience. It is about maintaining a focus on one's goals. The reward? It will eventually require less and less effort to focus on those goals, even though the effort is constant. At that point you can begin to excel in your pursuits, consistently. Orton understands this. Apparently Brian Dawkins does too, as he called a players-only meeting.

To Dawkins, consistency is the key. Consistent preparation in the film room. Consistent practice habits. Consistent effort.

"I can't fluctuate and be tossed and turned by any storm that comes about," Dawkins said. "I have to be consistent."

My good friend Emmett recently provided to this community a sterling list of quality items upon which the Broncos can direct their focus, if they choose to. These "Winning Ways" are proven, and fundamentally sound, but what they all have in common is that they require effort. The bye week was more than a week without football; it was a week without effort, while a forest of playoff contenders grew up unchecked around them. They stood still, for a moment too long, and only now are they realizing how hard it is to catch up once you've fallen behind.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin realizes this, having helped his team right the ship after their own 4-game losing streak threatened them with obscurity.

Coughlin said there can be different vibes associated with winning streaks versus losing streaks. During a winning streak, it may seem as if every bounce of the ball is going your way. During a losing streak, a team might feel as if it cannot catch a break.

"It is the most difficult thing because I think everybody understands that one game can turn it around for you," Coughlin said.

The Broncos need to work harder. Not hard. Working hard isn't good enough. They have to work harder. Once they have put in enough work this week to feel confident that they can compete with the Giants, they need to go back out and put in more work. They need to make up for the abyss of the bye week, while they still have time. Only when they have finally realized the enormous debt they incurred during that lost time, will they be able to get down to the business of getting it paid off. Each week that passes without overcoming this adds even more work that must be done, like interest added to a loan.

There is a lot of good waiting for them on the other side of working harder. Kyle and Dawkins' comments are like the first sliver of light, as the eclipse begins to wane.

In that, we can find hope. All will be well as long as the light returns
broncobum6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That was surprisingly a good article. I thought this was about to go in the wrong-headed direction of blaming the punter or something, but after reading that I would agree 100%.

Focus is a powerful thing. And group focus is even more exponentially powerful. A group of average people focused like a laser beam can take on a group of talented people unfocused and win every time.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Grover
Rookie

That's as good an explanation as I've seen that tries to explain the Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde personality of this team after and before the bye week.

I also wonder if cutting Brett Kern didn't cause a little disintegration of the "Team Spirit" that this team displayed prior to the bye, but not so much after it.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

That's a long winded article that I can summarize in one word: mojo

The Broncos lost it and they need to get it back.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Great take on the situation. I hated how it was written though. He shouldn't have tried so hard. It could have been so much simpler. For that, I call him a douche.
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
That's as good an explanation as I've seen that tries to explain the Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde personality of this team after and before the bye week.

I also wonder if cutting Brett Kern didn't cause a little disintegration of the "Team Spirit" that this team displayed prior to the bye, but not so much after it.
brett kern had zero impact on how the entire team plays.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Sodak
Clueless...

Who stole my avatar?

I get the feeling that this guy was trying to make his word quota. Good article, too much fluffy BS. Leave that stuff for Harlequin Romance novels.
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
That's a long winded article that I can summarize in one word: mojo

The Broncos lost it and they need to get it back.
got to agree with you. so many words wasted just to say that the slide is a result of taking a week off during the bye when our opponent didn't. and the baby analogy got annoying around paragraph #457.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I couldn't read it all.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I can't read.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Bronco Yoda

It was so long winded that I couldn't focus on what he was say... what was he saying again?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Brewer
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That article was filled was so much fagotry and so many weak metaphors that I had trouble remembering what it was about. My mind feels dark, dark like only the North Pole knows on December 22nd, right after an afternoon snow squall blows through, leaving nothing but vast, frozen emptiness.

Oh, uh, Go Broncos?
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Umm, What?

We are 7 point dogs.

At home.

Baja?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
Great take on the situation. I hated how it was written though. He shouldn't have tried so hard. It could have been so much simpler. For that, I call him a douche.
he is a writer, you are a poster on a forum. who's the douche?
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
That article was filled was so much fagotry and so many weak metaphors that I had trouble remembering what it was about. My mind feels dark, dark like only the North Pole knows on December 22nd, right after an afternoon snow squall blows through, leaving nothing but vast, frozen emptiness.

Oh, uh, Go Broncos?
see above, and you're an even bigger douche.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
uplink
Ring of Famer

I think the problems can all be answered by finding the answer to this question: Why has the defense played so poorly since the break?

There isn't much difference anywhere else, might have won the Skins game and made the chargers game close without injuries to Orton.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #17
Popps
It's so easy

Interesting read. I give the writer credit for looking below the surface.

That said, I just think we faced a couple of angry teams that were just flat-out better than us. We got whipped in Baltimore, and while we had our chances against Pittsburgh, we made crucial errors in that game.

As for Washington and SD... I can't really put a ton of stock into games we play with our back-up QB.

Should we have had a better back-up QB? Clearly. Coaches make mistakes, and that appears to be one of McDaniels' most obvious.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Thank you, Seamus MacDuff.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #19
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

This article credits the losing streak to a week off during the bye week. Going back to the 90s and Packers, they started a season poorly going into their bye week. Holmgren decided they were wound too tight, and gave them the bye week off. They came back and went on a run in (I believe) the year they won the SB. So, I am not buying this theory. Sorry.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
Brewer
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
see above, and you're an even bigger douche.

And you are what, exactly? It was a really poorly written article by someone who tried to grab a Pullitzer by using cheap, bad analogies and metaphors. You probably ate it up like punkin pie, though. Fits right in with the kind of guy who wears velcro sneakers and Dickies pants.
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #21
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

this may explain the b-more game, but the broncos have had three other weeks to get their **** together.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote