The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Players Only Meeting

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so here it goes. I am very happy the players decided to do this. Maybe it will translate into a unified team that beats the Giants and builds momentum heading towards the end of the regular season...and into the post-season!

After four straight losses, Broncos players meet without coaches

The players decided it was time to gather.

The Broncos are in a four-game losing streak, there is another tough opponent in the New York Giants coming up on Thanksgiving, and fans across the country watching on TV saw star receiver Brandon Marshall animatedly lecturing, then taking a shove from, Knowshon Moreno in the embarrassing loss Sunday to San Diego.

And so Brian Dawkins, an NFL safety in his 14th season, called for a players-only meeting Tuesday. No staff. No personnel. No coaches, although Josh McDaniels was aware.

Just players.

"We talked," Dawkins said, refusing to elaborate on the meeting's topic, although he said it wasn't about any division that people outside the Denver locker room may have perceived after the Marshall-Moreno encounter late in the first half Sunday following the rookie's fumble at the goal line.

"What we do as a team, we keep that stuff to ourselves," Dawkins said. "But if we're winning and we have that same argument on the sidelines, does anybody report that? If they do, they say it's our passion. But because we lost that game, and guys were a little emotional, then it's a bad thing.

"I don't buy into that. That's not who we are, who we've been throughout this year. I don't worry about that. Those are things that happen on the sideline. That is passion."

McDaniels also saw the good in Marshall going after Moreno, being upset at what happened, and the rookie giving a little back. As they say, how can people make up if they never argue?

"This job is not always simple, not always easy, but it can be fun if you have guys like (Marshall) and Knowshon," McDaniels said. "They got into a thing, but those are two guys I enjoy the most because that's how they play. They carry that onto the field too. I think that's OK. It's not like we had guys that didn't care. It would bother me more if we had guys that don't care about winning."

Besides motivational tactics, the Broncos also could use improved health of their top two leaders — Dawkins on defense and quarterback Kyle Orton on offense.

A bum left ankle forced Orton to miss the second half of the Broncos' loss to the Redskins and most of the first half against the Chargers. He returned with 4:19 left in the half and finished the game. Orton will start Thursday night against the Giants.

"Feeling good, feeling better and should be ready to roll and hopefully not limited in anything we have to do," Orton said.

The Broncos also have hope that offensive tackle Ryan Harris will return after missing the past three games with a dislocated big toe.

Dawkins suffered a neck injury in the first half against the Chargers. Will he play against the Giants?

"That's the plan," he said.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13862319
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

McPoopy face has lost the team! Why else would the players not allow him in the meetings?!11?!!!!!!!?!!!111!
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

The dreaded players only meeting. SEASONS OVER!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I bet they called Shanahan during the meeting, that's why McDaniels wasn't allowed in!!!!!!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I hope they didn't call a Code Red on Simms.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
McPoopy face has lost the team! Why else would the players not allow him in the meetings?!11?!!!!!!!?!!!111!
He's in over his fricken head!! He's has zero playoff wins for the Broncos in ten games.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

called y dawkins...best fa signing this decade?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

No More "My Bad" Just Make The Fugging Play
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I thought they already had one of these before the San Diego game
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I hope they didn't call a Code Red on Simms.
Funny, I hope they did.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

And here I thought the news was that Orton and Harris will be playing. Silly me.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Players only meeting. That'll patch this right up.

I f'ing hate the "players only" meeting. At best it's media fodder in the event of a win. It's a circle jerk. WTF, are they not pro ball players? Is this **** new to them? Christ, the last act of a desperate squad.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #14
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Players only meeting. That'll patch this right up.

I f'ing hate the "players only" meeting. At best it's media fodder in the event of a win. It's a circle jerk. WTF, are they not pro ball players? Is this **** new to them? Christ, the last act of a desperate squad.
I agree....players only meetings are better known as "b**** fest" and little do they work. Do you F'N job and the team will be fine.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Dawkins: You guys. You lollygag the around the field. You lollygag your way down the line. You lollygag in and out of the huddle. You know what that makes you? Champ!!
Champ: Lollygaggers!
Dawkins: Lollygaggers.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

It's fine... can't hurt. It's potentially a chance for the vets like Dawkins to get a message through to the younger guys. Not sure it amounts to much with regard to game results... but it's ultimately probably a positive thing if it helps the team get back on the same page again.

As I said in another thread, these losses are very situational and distinct from each other... but to the players (and fans)... they just hurt, and it's tough to intellectualize them. If we fans have a hard time putting losses in proper perspective, imagine being a player.

So, it's probably a good thing. Hopefully it adds a little spark for the stretch run.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I agree....players only meetings are better known as "b**** fest" and little do they work. Do you F'N job and the team will be fine.
Well...and your right....but it does help clear the air. the thing about teams sometimes, weather it's a sales office, or a football team, you sometimes hold your tongue about things that bother you to build harmony (specially in good times) but your brain, when bogged down, will cause you to act out in other ways. That's why when it went bad, all the bad feeling just gushed out and you get sideline fights and disgruntled members..ect. A nice safe forum to get it all out will at least bring you together as a team sometimes...it may not translate into effort or in this case, wins, but it will release the tension and eliminate future eruptions like we had the past two weeks. Talking is therapeutic no matter the context.
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
It's fine... can't hurt. It's potentially a chance for the vets like Dawkins to get a message through to the younger guys. Not sure it amounts to much with regard to game results... but it's ultimately probably a positive thing if it helps the team get back on the same page again.

As I said in another thread, these losses are very situational and distinct from each other... but to the players (and fans)... they just hurt, and it's tough to intellectualize them. If we fans have a hard time putting losses in proper perspective, imagine being a player.

So, it's probably a good thing. Hopefully it adds a little spark for the stretch run.
This.

Not sure why people overreact -- either direction -- to this sort of report. I don't think it can hurt, and maybe they come out of it with a clear head, having said everything they need to say to each other to move forward.

I used to be in a rock band. Pretty good, but there were a lot of egos involved, and when **** would start to go south, we'd meet and discuss what was happening. Nobody held back, and we came out of the meeting better and stronger as a unit. Now, I'm not saying it's the same thing, but when much of your interaction is through the media, you don't get the opportunity or the forum to interact man-to-man and tell someone why you think they're letting you or the team down. A players-only meeting is that forum, and again, it can't hurt.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #19
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
This.

Not sure why people overreact -- either direction -- to this sort of report. I don't think it can hurt, and maybe they come out of it with a clear head, having said everything they need to say to each other to move forward.

I used to be in a rock band. Pretty good, but there were a lot of egos involved, and when **** would start to go south, we'd meet and discuss what was happening. Nobody held back, and we came out of the meeting better and stronger as a unit. Now, I'm not saying it's the same thing, but when much of your interaction is through the media, you don't get the opportunity or the forum to interact man-to-man and tell someone why you think they're letting you or the team down. A players-only meeting is that forum, and again, it can't hurt.
No, it is the same thing.....groups of people will clash, it happens...NOT talking it out would be a reason to worry.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
No, it is the same thing.....groups of people will clash, it happens...NOT talking it out would be a reason to worry.
They need Dr. Phil.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #21
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
They need Dr. Phil.
I would go with Dr Ruth...she's more direct...and kinda funny
Old 11-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Do players-only meetings help?

November 25th, 2009, 3:21 pm · Post a Comment · posted by Frank Schwab

Stuck in a four-game losing streak, the Broncos had a players-only meeting. Safety Brian Dawkins called it together and started it off, then others spoke their mind during the meeting.
Running back Correll Buckhalter said a few guys spoke, and felt it was necessary to get things off their chest. He said it was a positive thing, and now the team is ready to move on and play the Giants on Thursday.
"It felt great," Buckhalter said. "I think we needed that to get players on the same page."
Buckhalter said he thought, in general, players meetings can help.
"Absolutely," Buckhalter said. "We had numerous meetings like that in Philadelphia, and it helped us."
Cornerback Champ Bailey didn't seem so enthusiastic about the meeting itself. He said he wanted to see results on the field, rather than hear what players had to say.
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, smiling while he feigned not knowing about the meeting, jokingly asked if he could answer the question as to what would happen if a team like the New York Yankees called a players-only meeting.
"Anytime players want to speak to one another and whatever those subjects or topics may be, and make sure they're on the same page - communication is always a very vital part of our organization, our team, our gameplan each week," McDaniels said. "There's nothing more than the communication between the players. If they feel that's necessary and they want to do something like that, I'm sure (Yankees manager) Joe Girardi would let them do that."
Old 11-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

It is as good a time as any for this.

Gint's have their troubles also so someone will get it back on track this week, I hope it is Denver.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so here it goes. I am very happy the players decided to do this. Maybe it will translate into a unified team that beats the Giants and builds momentum heading towards the end of the regular season...and into the post-season!

After four straight losses, Broncos players meet without coaches

The players decided it was time to gather.

The Broncos are in a four-game losing streak, there is another tough opponent in the New York Giants coming up on Thanksgiving, and fans across the country watching on TV saw star receiver Brandon Marshall animatedly lecturing, then taking a shove from, Knowshon Moreno in the embarrassing loss Sunday to San Diego.

And so Brian Dawkins, an NFL safety in his 14th season, called for a players-only meeting Tuesday. No staff. No personnel. No coaches, although Josh McDaniels was aware.

Just players.

"We talked," Dawkins said, refusing to elaborate on the meeting's topic, although he said it wasn't about any division that people outside the Denver locker room may have perceived after the Marshall-Moreno encounter late in the first half Sunday following the rookie's fumble at the goal line.

"What we do as a team, we keep that stuff to ourselves," Dawkins said. "But if we're winning and we have that same argument on the sidelines, does anybody report that? If they do, they say it's our passion. But because we lost that game, and guys were a little emotional, then it's a bad thing.

"I don't buy into that. That's not who we are, who we've been throughout this year. I don't worry about that. Those are things that happen on the sideline. That is passion."

McDaniels also saw the good in Marshall going after Moreno, being upset at what happened, and the rookie giving a little back. As they say, how can people make up if they never argue?

"This job is not always simple, not always easy, but it can be fun if you have guys like (Marshall) and Knowshon," McDaniels said. "They got into a thing, but those are two guys I enjoy the most because that's how they play. They carry that onto the field too. I think that's OK. It's not like we had guys that didn't care. It would bother me more if we had guys that don't care about winning."

Besides motivational tactics, the Broncos also could use improved health of their top two leaders — Dawkins on defense and quarterback Kyle Orton on offense.

A bum left ankle forced Orton to miss the second half of the Broncos' loss to the Redskins and most of the first half against the Chargers. He returned with 4:19 left in the half and finished the game. Orton will start Thursday night against the Giants.

"Feeling good, feeling better and should be ready to roll and hopefully not limited in anything we have to do," Orton said.

The Broncos also have hope that offensive tackle Ryan Harris will return after missing the past three games with a dislocated big toe.

Dawkins suffered a neck injury in the first half against the Chargers. Will he play against the Giants?

"That's the plan," he said.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13862319
it's a good thing they didn't do this before the SD game. cause that game didn't really mean anything in the larger scope of things.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote