The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Denver Post : Offense at top of Broncos' fix-it list

Offense at top of Broncos' fix-it list

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/24/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Through his confusion, Brandon Marshall found the definitive answer.

It wasn't while he was berating teammate Knowshon Moreno in public view. This was afterward, when Marshall had calmed down. Marshall, the Broncos' most talented and most emotional wide receiver, was asked after his team's embarrassing 32-3 loss to the San Diego Chargers on Sunday what had gone wrong.

"One thing I do know," Marshall said, "is that I don't know."

When a team has lost four games in a row by an average of 20 points, there is an abundance of blame in this week of Thanksgiving for everyone to share. Denver's defense is giving up nearly three times more points per game and more than double the rushing yards during this four-game skid

than it allowed during the 6-0 start.

The Broncos were excellent on both sides of the ball in third-down conversions, time of possession and turnovers during their first six victories. They have been horrific in those areas during their four-game swoon.

The second half had become the identity of the 6-0 Broncos. The 0-4 Broncos have folded like a greased accordion after intermission.

But if the football gods allowed the Broncos to correct one, and only one, problem before their home game Thursday night against the New York Giants, an inept offense would have to be their top priority.

Not exactly the 2007 New England Patriots during their six-game winning streak, the Broncos have scored only 37 points in their past four losses, an average of 9.3 points per game. And seven of those points came on a returned fumble. How startling anemic is 9.3 points per game? It's a two-point conversion less than the St. Louis Rams, who rank 31st in the 32-team NFL with an 11.3 average.

Overall, the Broncos rank 22nd in the NFL in total offense and 25th in scoring. Not exactly the production expected from a team coached by Josh McDaniels, who two years ago was the offensive coordinator of that record-setting Patriots juggernaut.

"We've gotten in situations where we make mistakes early in the game that predicated that we throw the ball more as the game goes on," McDaniels said. "And obviously that's not the formula we want to implement to try to win based on the success we've had this year."

Running the ball wasn't a problem against the Chargers. Moreno had 80 yards on only 10 carries. The problem has been holding on to the ball, and lack of second-half rushing attempts. The Broncos have averaged only 5.8 second-half carries during the skid.

"We've got to do better earlier in the game so that we can stay balanced, run the ball effectively and throw the ball effectively at the same time without giving away what we have to do," McDaniels said.

Then there's the red zone. Those final 20 yards weren't exactly the Broncos' comfort area when things were going well, but they have acted as if the zone was booby-trapped of late.

Four times the Broncos crossed San Diego's 20. The results: fumble, fumble, field goal, turnover on downs. That's three of a possible 28 points.

"It's past the point of talking about execution or running the ball or passing the ball," Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton said.

When there's nothing to say about the Broncos' offense the past four games, that pretty much says it all.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13854373
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wow this guy is a bandwagon fan. How can he say there is something wrong with the team? I mean, we have only been blown out in four straight. We have the league right where we want them.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

this article just about sums it up except where's the defense in this they have been horrible as well

what happened to all the killer halftime adjustments?
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Wow this guy is a bandwagon fan. How can he say there is something wrong with the team? I mean, we have only been blown out in four straight. We have the league right where we want them.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Everything is situational. People always want it to be a blanket thing, but it's situational.

-Baltimore - Played their best game of the year... and are probably just better than us.
-Pittsburgh - Played one of their best games of the year... and are probably just better than us.

-Washington - Orton stays in that game, and we win by double-digits.

-San Diego - Probably better than us, though with a healthy QB... things may have gone differently.

Losing 4 in a row sucks ass, but it doesn't mean we were awesome and now we blow. It just means that it's a long season, and situations work for, and against you.
Injuries, bad bounces... etc.

People probably had inflated ideas about this team because of the start, but people also are now lighting up this board with gloom and doom forecasts that are just as inaccurate.

Again, if you thought we were winning the Superbowl this year, you probably don't have a good grip on what you're watching.

This team needs to show improvement... which they have in most areas. In a few areas, we've got to pick it up. Not a surprise when you're basically replacing an entire staff, system and a huge chunk of players.

This **** takes time, folks.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Not that I disagree, but the one thing that I think is questionable is for Bowlen to hire a kid coach (who is supposed to be an offensive guru) and for that coach to come in and lay an egg on our offense.

Why does our offense suck...look no further than the Head Coach!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

I see it as luck balancing out. The Stokely TD versus the Bengals and the BMarsh run against the Cowboys have been balanced out by key turnovers in the red zone, injuries, crappy calls (the Moreno fumble off of Hochstein's leg should have been a TD), and just plain bad luck.

We substituted two pushover games (CLE and OAK) with two that I didn't think we would win (BALT and PITT).

At 6-4, I am happy with where the Broncos are, just not how we got there. We are still in the playoff hunt and I just want to see the team really make an effort, regardless of our lack of talent showing through.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Not that I disagree, but the one thing that I think is questionable is for Bowlen to hire a kid coach (who is supposed to be an offensive guru) and for that coach to come in and lay an egg on our offense.

Why does our offense suck...look no further than the Head Coach!
I think there was more then a few of us that questioned McD's role with the Pats. New England is number two in total O and number three in scoring this year without the the man that everyone calls the "guru" of that system. BB just seems like a coach that is controlling so much of that team from every phase of it. It's no secret that his former members of his staff struggle after they move on to become a HC. Heck even when we did win games this year it wasn't because of the offensive putting up big numbers. Yes it's a new system for everyone to be learning but you would think we would have a much better grasp of the O in week 11 then we did at the start of the year, and really it doesn't seem like we are improving much.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
-Washington - Orton stays in that game, and we win by double-digits.
Why do you think that? the offense was bogging down well before Orton got injured
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote