The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Broncos pose a different challenge

By Kevin Acee

The Philadelphia Eagles gashed the Chargers for approximately 185 yards after the catch en route to 450 passing yards last Sunday.

And while teams change from week to week and learn from the successes previous opponents had, the Denver Broncos don't figure to try to win with that same formula tomorrow.

“That's not what they do,” Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. “ They do things a little differently, so we're planning for the way they do things.”

The Broncos are coming off their best rushing game (120 yards) in six weeks and are much more balanced than the Eagles.

The Chargers went into Sunday's game knowing they'd give up a lot of underneath completions.

“(The Broncos) are capable of it, but it was kind of just the way we were playing, the focus of that week,” free safety Eric Weddle said. “Now we're just back to the way we play — aggressive and get back to being underneath droppers (and keeping) our assignments sound and not worrying about being deep all the time.”

The Broncos game Oct. 19 was the last one in which a Chargers opponent converted more than 40 percent of its third downs. Denver was 9-of-16 on third downs that night with seven of those conversions coming via pass.

“We had a lot of mistakes in the first game, not executing, not understanding what they were doing against us,” Weddle said. “We watched the third-down reel; a lot of the third downs were not executing, not doing what we should have.”

Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler had a career high that night, his 101 yards more than double the total he's had against any other team this season. Of those, 71 yards came on a 19-yard touchdown pass and a 52-yard reception in which Weddle had him in coverage.

“I'm not worried about it,” Weddle said. “I get another shot, I like my chances.”

Clary questionable

Right tackle Jeromey Clary did individual drills but did not work the team period of yesterday's practice and is listed as questionable for tomorrow.

“It was good,” said Clary, who sprained his right ankle against Philadelphia. “If I can take a live rep against (Elvis) Dumervil, we'll see. That will be (decided) an hour-and-a-half before the game.”

Should Clary not be able to go, Brandyn Dombrowski would make his first career start at right tackle. Dombrowski made two starts at right guard in place of the injured Louis Vasquez in September but has been practicing at left tackle since Vasquez returned last month.

The Chargers certainly would give Dombrowski, who allowed a sack last week, help if he has to play.

“If Clary isn't able to go, it's asking a guy who has played a little bit at right guard and really never played at right tackle,” head coach Norv Turner said. “So we'll have to manage that extremely well.”
--------------

Ya that's it Chuggers don't worry about the deep pass...well maybe if Orton isn't player, but if Kyle starts...it's on!
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

I think this is pretty good. I worry more about the defense than the offense. i think we'll find ways to score, but we looked average against a bad limping skins team, and the chargers have found their stride on O. Could be a statement game for the defense. They need to make a stand.
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
I think this is pretty good. I worry more about the defense than the offense. i think we'll find ways to score, but we looked average against a bad limping skins team, and the chargers have found their stride on O. Could be a statement game for the defense. They need to make a stand.
The Defense can make a stand if the offense takes the pressure off the defense. SD will win the game late if an inconsistent Bronco offense of 3 downs and punt eventually wears down the defense by the 3rd and 4th quarters.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
The Defense can make a stand if the offense takes the pressure off the defense. SD will win the game late if an inconsistent Bronco offense of 3 downs and punt eventually wears down the defense by the 3rd and 4th quarters.
yeah, the offense does them few to no favors.....still, that's what we ask them to do this year to win. Not fair, yeah, it ain't but they gotta do it.
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

“(The Broncos) are capable of it, but it was kind of just the way we were playing, the focus of that week,” free safety Eric Weddle said. “Now we're just back to the way we play — aggressive and get back to being underneath droppers (and keeping) our assignments sound and not worrying about being deep all the time.”

this tells me that they are going to play defense like the Ravens and Steelers and play 8 in the box and sit on the short stuff I hope McD opens it up and goes deep
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
richpjr
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post

this tells me that they are going to play defense like the Ravens and Steelers and play 8 in the box and sit on the short stuff I hope McD opens it up and goes deep
They absolutely are. I live just north of San Diego and Rivera came out and said the strategy against the Eagles was to play a very soft zone and not give up any big plays. It worked as far as stopping the big plays, but they gave up a TON of YAC as the article points out. They will be going into jamming the line of scrimmage again and it will be up to Simms to make them get out of it. He has a stronger arm than Orton so I guess we'll see if it works or not.
richpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
They absolutely are. I live just north of San Diego and Rivera came out and said the strategy against the Eagles was to play a very soft zone and not give up any big plays. It worked as far as stopping the big plays, but they gave up a TON of YAC as the article points out. They will be going into jamming the line of scrimmage again and it will be up to Simms to make them get out of it. He has a stronger arm than Orton so I guess we'll see if it works or not.

Whats interesting is if they press Marshall or Royal, both can beat the press and get early seperation...course whoever is quarterbacking tomorrow needs to take advantage of it.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote