The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default New team brings unrivaled disdain in Broncoland

New team brings unrivaled disdain in Broncoland

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/20/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

As far as a teenage Daniel Graham knew, his hometown Denver Broncos had only one rival.

And that team wore silver and black.

Graham, whose father, Tom, played for the Broncos in the 1970s, said that when he was growing up here, no team was more despised than the Raiders.

"I don't remember hearing anything about the Chargers," said Graham, who graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in 1997. "It was all about the Raiders."

The new generation of Broncos fans might disagree.

The most reviled team on the schedule is the one in blue and yellow, the San Diego Chargers, owners of three consecutive AFC West titles and a four-game winning streak.

The Broncos and Chargers have matching 6-3 records,

and the winner of Sunday's game at Invesco Field at Mile High will control the division.

So with respect to the Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs — who are a combined 4-14 this season — when it comes to football rivalries in this town, nothing beats Denver vs. San Diego these days.

"There is no love lost between these two teams," Graham said.

The two teams scuffled on the field at Qualcomm Stadium on Oct. 19 before the start of Denver's 34-23 victory, and the game was as chippy as any the Broncos have played this season.

And now, with the Broncos coming off a three-game losing streak and the Chargers surging with those four consecutive victories, it is realistic to expect a similarly intense game Sunday.

"I do think the passion that they have for playing this game and this team, it's hard for it not to carry over to the coaching staff, or anyone else in the building for that matter," coach Josh McDaniels said. "When you feel that way about another team, it doesn't mean you disrespect them, it just means that you know this game means a little bit more than others."

The Chargers have won four of the past five division titles — the Broncos won the other, in 2005 — and their recent success against the Broncos is largely because of quarterback Philip Rivers, who has won 5-of-7 games against Denver since becoming the starter in 2006.

Combine that record with his loudmouth on-field personality and his feud with former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, and the result is that Rivers might be the most disliked opposing player for Broncos players and fans alike.

"He's a rare trash-talker; you don't see quarterbacks trash-talking," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "I'm used to it now. It was shocking to see him do it at first. I know what kind of person he is now, got to talk to him a little bit, and he's just a competitor."

For Graham, his distaste for the Chargers goes beyond just his Broncos days. Graham was on the New England team that came from behind to beat the top-seeded Chargers 24-21 in a playoff game at San Diego in January 2007. Patriots players, including Graham, rushed the field and danced at midfield, on the Chargers' lightning bolt logo.

Chargers star running back LaDainian Tomlinson later called it a "no class" move.

The next season, Graham was on the Broncos team that lost at home 41-3 to San Diego.

"For me, that's when it really started with the not liking the Chargers, because they got all mad about that (the dancing). And then the next year, when I came here, they were doing the same thing," Graham said. "It was just like they were hypocrites or something."

Compare the Chargers' success to the Broncos' recent history against the Raiders. Since 2006, the Broncos have won 4-of-6, and the Raiders haven't had a winning season since 2002.

Add in the fact that Mike Shanahan, whose personal hatred for the Raiders was no secret, is gone, and the Raiders rivalry has lost much of its luster.

The Denver Post conducted an informal survey of Broncos fans over Twitter on Wednesday evening, and an overwhelming majority of the respondents tabbed the Chargers as the team's biggest rival. The fans gave two most common reasons: the Chargers' back-to-back-to-back AFC West titles and Rivers.

Broncos fan website Mile High Report conducted a similar survey Thursday, and found a similar response. With more than 1,200 online votes recorded by late Thursday afternoon, 62 percent picked the Chargers, compared to about 20 percent for the Raiders and 17 percent for the Chiefs.

"What I've seen in the comments on the poll, it is almost divided by age group," said John Bena, a longtime Broncos fan who founded Mile High Report three years ago. "The really old-school fans, they picked Kansas City, because that's the oldest rival. Then the older fans that grew up in the '70s-'80s-'90s, it's the Raiders. But for newer fans, from the Super Bowl years on, it's been the Chargers, because the Chargers have been relevant in that time."

McDaniels said he thinks the Broncos' current rivalry with San Diego is born out of respect — for him personally for Chargers coach Norv Turner and Rivers, and for the Chargers' track record over the past several years.

"This team always has been one of the best teams in the league, and we've had to go through them to get to where we wanted to go in New England, and now we've got to do it twice a year here in Denver," McDaniels said.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13828852
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

For me it's the Raiders and probably always will be but it's understandable who ever is on top will be the rival at that time. And for me personally, no it's not out of respect for the Chargers, Rivers ruined any chance of that plus the fact that until the Chargers do something (win a SB) there is no respect. Hell there won't be after they win one.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

I have never liked the guy from Mile High Report ever since he accused Mike Florio of stealing one of his headlines in the chatbox on PFT. Florio replied to him and made him look like a clown.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivers Delivers
Smarter than Legos

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nice to see that Denver's defensive captain has now changed his tune about Philip.
Rivers Delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

They're a bunch of cherry munchin' flim-flammers.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
["This team always has been one of the best teams in the league,
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
For me it's the Raiders and probably always will be but it's understandable who ever is on top will be the rival at that time. And for me personally, no it's not out of respect for the Chargers, Rivers ruined any chance of that plus the fact that until the Chargers do something (win a SB) there is no respect. Hell there won't be after they win one.
This. For me, a 2 and 14 season will always be considered a successful one if the two wins came against the Raiders.

BTW, the Chargers only took over the top rival spot when the Chiefs window finally closed and they imploded. The ascendence of Rivers to the starting QB spot in SD at the same time was just a coincidence. If KC remained anything like they were in the early part of the decade, it would still be the Chiefs in the #1 rival spot.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
This. For me, a 2 and 14 season will always be considered a successful one if the two wins came against the Raiders.

BTW, the Chargers only took over the top rival spot when the Chiefs window finally closed and they imploded. The ascendence of Rivers to the starting QB spot in SD at the same time was just a coincidence. If KC remained anything like they were in the early part of the decade, it would still be the Chiefs in the #1 rival spot.

I believe our current record against the faid is at 54/40/2 with 3/2 superbowls.
Until we beat their record and put them in the cellar for good, they will remain the most hated AFC west rival.

The Chuggers don't even come up as a blip on the radar, and the Chiefs are a joke although they seem to pull **** out of their a$$es when we go to their house in December (beats me).
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
bombay
Ring of Famer

Lindsay Jones thinks the chargers are 6-3.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Lindsay Jones thinks the chargers are 6-3.
Huh? Are you saying they aren't?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

If the Hochuli win last year had been against the Raiders I would have had no problem with it, any win over the Raiders is a good one.

With the Chargers I want to humiliate them, the last win in San Diego is still my favourite game of the year, we took them to the cleaners in their house in prime time - doesn't get any sweeter than that.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

**** the chuggers!
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I moved to San Diego from Denver in 1999. Watching that fanbase go from non-existent to what they are now was particularly annoying for me. Tack on the last few years of going to horrible games at Qualcomm (last year was the worst game I've been to, ever), and it's safe to say I hate the Chargers more than any other team, in any sport.

Of course I move back to Denver last summer and they finally manage to win there. But I digress.

Sweep these guys and the season is a success in my mind. Miss the playoffs, fine. Just sweep these guys.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

It's simple really, Sandy Eggo has been the dominant team in the AFCW the last 5 years while the faiders have been a joke since their last SB appearance. The chefs always play the Broncos hard so you have to give them some props (even though they have not been a consistently good franchise since Vermiel left).

Right now, the heated rivalry is with Sandy Eggo because they have earned it.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

It's hard to hate a team wearing "cutesy-wootsy...Aw, isn't that just adorable" baby blue unis, but I'm VERY MUCH getting there...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #16
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #17
JJJ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
It's hard to hate a team wearing "cutesy-wootsy...Aw, isn't that just adorable" baby blue unis, but I'm VERY MUCH getting there...
Dude, you guys wear orange. Orange!

Orange!
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #18
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

This is what worries me...

watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #19
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I've never considered the Chargers a rival. For most of my life that team has sucked. That has been a horrible franchise. They've been good for the last five or so years.

I hate the Raiders and Chiefs. I'll always hate those teams. Until the Chargers do something of note, I can't respect them enough to hate them. They don't have a seat at the big table. Even though the Raiders have sucked for a number of years, the Broncos still trail them in Super Bowls, and the Raider fans who know their history, and now how to present a good argument, will always point that out. And they'll always point out the head to head records. It's annoying. I can't wait until the Broncos catch them and pass them.

The Chargers are more of an annoyance because their fans finally have something to cheer for and they won't shut up , even though their team hasn't done anything. But the Raiders, and the Chiefs, yeah, that's just hate.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #20
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
Dude, you guys wear orange. Orange!

Orange!
Say what you want about orange but only pink is a more girlier color than BABY blue.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtH2O-27 View Post
Say what you want about orange but only pink is a more girlier color than BABY blue.
QFT.

Walking thru the Qualcomm parking lots to get to Calijohn's tailgate last year, we we're called "Broncofags" by guys dressed head to toe in Charger baby blue....seriously, all I could do was laugh at them.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #22
Electric Chair
Solid Starter

Who cares who considers who a rival. 4 out of the last 5 division titles, and well on our way to a fourth straight and 5-6. I'll take that over some meaningless degree of respect from a bunch of anonymous fan boys on the internet.

I would rather watch my team play meaningful games in January. The Broncos haven't played one of those in 4 years.
Electric Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #23
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

it doesn't matter if Oakland is good or not. Raider Hater through and through.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #24
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Plain and simple, the deal is this:

KC hates the Raiders/Broncos, despises Chargers
Denver hates KC/Raiders, despises the Chargers
Chargers hate the Raiders/Broncos, despises KC
But mainly, everyone hates the Raiders. That's how it rolls in the AFC West.

(No one cared about Seattle. Like a good stepchild, they ran to another family).
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #25
BreesLightning
Seasoned Veteran

We're the good guys in the division, plain and simple.
BreesLightning is offline   Reply With Quote