The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Default Hate to say it but.....

If Orton misses this game we will be eating leftover turkey watching Simms as our QB. If Orton can't go in a game of this importance he will most certainly miss a non-conference game just 4 days later.

God I hope he plays Sunday.
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Just chill out and wait till gameday McD isn't going to give the Chargers anything to go by
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Crushisback
Camp fodder

I am chill bro. I guess it's not cool to hope our starting QB plays in a huge game.
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

with a week of practice, sort of a middle of the road charger defense, I bet Simms will look much better if he has to play.

Washington actually has one of the best pass defenses in the NFL.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

People dont just magically go from looking like horse**** one week to playing good football the next week because of a few practices. either you got it or you dont. Simms looks gunshy after what happened to him in tampa. We are done if her starts.
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
People dont just magically go from looking like horse**** one week to playing good football the next week because of a few practices. either you got it or you dont. Simms looks gunshy after what happened to him in tampa. We are done if her starts.
Well not magically. We forget that Simms has not played a down of real football in 2 yrs. If he's getting work with the 1's, he'll be better prepared if he has to go. No way anyone can be that bad 2 wks in a row!
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
broncofan
Perennial Pro-bowler

we've been critical of our potential to win since mcdaniels took over...i'm going to wait and see how Simms looks after a week of getting all the reps before passing judgement.
broncofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
with a week of practice, sort of a middle of the road charger defense, I bet Simms will look much better if he has to play.

Washington actually has one of the best pass defenses in the NFL.
I'm hoping you're right. This and his pre-season performance, somewhat gives me hope for surprising a (probably) over-confident Chargers team and pulling out the win.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm not saying Simms can take on Rivers though. IMO Broncos will need 2-3 really big plays to win this game. Sack fumble, defensive score, kick return, long pass to marshall, whatever combo they will need it.

I just don't see them driving down the field methodically enought to beat Rivers and the high powered Chargers offense.

I knew when rivers praised us and said Broncos not going away was his way of cursing us. Unfortunately they use up mojo to beat us and never get it done in playoffs or superbowl.

Man we need this win something fierce.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I posted this in another thread, but its appropriate here, as well...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
Well not magically. We forget that Simms has not played a down of real football in 2 yrs. If he's getting work with the 1's, he'll be better prepared if he has to go. No way anyone can be that bad 2 wks in a row!
the fact that he hasn;t started in a few years keeps getting brought up, but last time he did start he wasn't exactly great. so it isn't like he is a great QB who was shaking off rust last week. he is a mediocre QB that is also rusty

we are ****ed if he can't go on Sunday.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
I'm not saying Simms can take on Rivers though. IMO Broncos will need 2-3 really big plays to win this game. Sack fumble, defensive score, kick return, long pass to marshall, whatever combo they will need it.

I just don't see them driving down the field methodically enought to beat Rivers and the high powered Chargers offense.

I knew when rivers praised us and said Broncos not going away was his way of cursing us. Unfortunately they use up mojo to beat us and never get it done in playoffs or superbowl.

Man we need this win something fierce.
time to break out Hillis. if Simms plays, Hillis needs to be a big part of the game plan. we need efficient passes out of the backfield. that is a very strong part of Hillis game, passes out of the backfield, he and Moreno should be in for a heavy workload especially if Simms starts.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
time to break out Hillis. if Simms plays, Hillis needs to be a big part of the game plan. we need efficient passes out of the backfield. that is a very strong part of Hillis game, passes out of the backfield, he and Moreno should be in for a heavy workload especially if Simms starts.
Chargers will be crashing the short stuff. To win Broncos will have to be able to run the ball down there throats, then take some shots down the field.

I don't think the short passing game will get it done.

We gotta run the ball, control the clock. Somehow we have to get that.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Chargers will be crashing the short stuff. To win Broncos will have to be able to run the ball down there throats, then take some shots down the field.

I don't think the short passing game will get it done.

We gotta run the ball, control the clock. Somehow we have to get that.
i agree running is going to be a necessity, but with Simms, he doesn't have the ability, or timing with the receivers down to go deep with the ball, so short passes are going to be a staple for the game. and if Orton plays, to better protect him i don't see him standing in the pocket for longer periods of time to allow deeper routes to develop. short passes are going to be used often regardless of who starts.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

We could be looking at a five game losing streak a week from now.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Just chill out and wait till gameday McD isn't going to give the Chargers anything to go by
Well he sure isnt giving Orton anything to go by either with all the reps going to super Simms. I'll be taking the wife and baby to Mt. Lemon all day. No point in watching this ship sink for 3 hours. Plus the nuclear meltdown here about how bad Simms is and how long its been since we've had a legit backup QB.
Broncos4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #17
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
We could be looking at a five game losing streak a week from now.
Well if Simms has to be the loser there, I at least say we give Brandstater a chance for Turkey day if Orton is still down. I know it was only preseason, but I have a feelin that Brandstater might have "it". ****, anything is better than Simms at this point. Wonder if Rod would come back to QB...... Didn't he do it in college?
Broncos4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushisback View Post
If Orton misses this game we will be eating leftover turkey watching Simms as our QB. If Orton can't go in a game of this importance he will most certainly miss a non-conference game just 4 days later.

God I hope he plays Sunday.
Let Simms play and see where he is after a week of practice with the first team.
Oh, and relax, Orton is not that good of a QB to be alarmed about him not playing.
Give me a freakin' break!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
i agree running is going to be a necessity, but with Simms, he doesn't have the ability, or timing with the receivers down to go deep with the ball, so short passes are going to be a staple for the game. and if Orton plays, to better protect him i don't see him standing in the pocket for longer periods of time to allow deeper routes to develop. short passes are going to be used often regardless of who starts.
Well nowhere is accuracy and timing more important then in the short game. So I have to disagree. IMO if you can get a 1-1 deep down the field thats the easiest throw to make. With Marshall out there you throw it up high to him.

I think to do that though we have to hit Sheff, Graham, short over the middle, we have to run the ball at least 4 yrds a carry. That will suck the safety's in and give Simms so shots.

CHargers though may just throw the house at him and see what happens. In that case he will have to make the quick read, and the short throw like your gameplan was calling for.

It will be up to Broncos oline. If they get it done we can win.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #20
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Best chance is to toss it BM hope IMO.(as long as it's not 15 yards off target.)

In all fairness, he was bracketed.

But if he gets single, heave it up!

Last edited by watermock; 11-19-2009 at 11:02 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #21
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Just run the damn ball!
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #22
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus4444 View Post
Just run the damn ball!
Problem is is the same as the short passing game.SD will have 8 in the box unless we go 3 wide.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #23
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
Well if Simms has to be the loser there, I at least say we give Brandstater a chance for Turkey day if Orton is still down. I know it was only preseason, but I have a feelin that Brandstater might have "it". ****, anything is better than Simms at this point. Wonder if Rod would come back to QB...... Didn't he do it in college?
Yeah like Rod is ready to step right in.

If Simms fails this week and Orton is still out, you have to at least consider Brandstater for the NY game I would think.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

It's the same reason we won't see Hillis or Baker, Smith, Ayers or JMFW out there.

The Boy Genius doesn't have Elway to pull his ass out of the fire.

We somehow win, we are in the drivers seat. Lose, we probably see the biggest collapse in Bronco history.

Last edited by watermock; 11-19-2009 at 11:41 PM..
Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #25
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Seriously, give it up already. Every week we hear this Hillis crap. Unless Moreno, Buck are Jordan injured, Hillis is a non issue. You really think what we need is MORE passes out of the backfield? That's 50% of our playbook so far.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote