The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default Sorry I'm late: Scouts Inc. Chargers@Broncos

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scout...meId=291122007

By Doug Kretz
Scouts Inc.
San Diego at Denver
When: 4:15 PM ET
Watch: CBS
Preview
More scouting reports: Week 11
Scouts Inc. Position Advantage

QB SD
RB SD (Off 1 good game to this point in the season)
WR SD
OL SD (His 3rd point doesn't back this up)
DL DEN
LB DEN
DB DEN
ST SD
Coach SD (Embarrassing)

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Chargers-Broncos matchup.

1. San Diego wants to run the ball early and gain positive yards: Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson had his best game of 2009, finally averaging 4.0 yards a carry or more as he gained 96 yards on 24 carries against the Philadelphia Eagles. When the San Diego ground game is running on all cylinders, QB Philip Rivers is most effective throwing off the play-action fake. After not allowing a team to run for more than 100 yards in their first seven games, the Broncos haven't held a team to fewer than 120 yards in their past three.

2. Expect the Chargers to use a lot of no-huddle offense: The Broncos love to use a wide variety of personnel packages with their defense. They have a lot of players that do an excellent job of producing in situations but can struggle when asked to play all four downs. If the Chargers use a fast-paced no-huddle offense it can prevent the Broncos from making the personnel changes they would like to make.

3. San Diego needs to protect the quarterback: The Broncos' defense is second in the NFL with 29 sacks and has multiple sacks in all but one game. Rivers has been sacked 20 times and his offensive line has been inconsistent in pass protection. When Rivers is given time in the pocket, he can be one of the most accurate passers in the NFL.

4. Look for the Chargers to bring a heavy pressure package: The Chargers have some of the most effective blitzing linebackers in the NFL in with outside linebackers Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips consistently among the league leaders in sacks. With the uncertainty surrounding the starting quarterback position in Denver we can expect the Chargers to do everything possible to pressure the pocket and force some bad throws.

5. Matchup to watch: San Diego WR Vincent Jackson vs. Denver CB Champ Bailey: Jackson is the team's second-leading receiver but leads the team in receiving yards and touchdowns. He is a receiver with decent downfield speed and excellent size and body control that allows him to be productive in the red zone on a consistent basis. Bailey is Denver's best cover corner and is asked to shut down the opponent's most dangerous receiver. This promises to be a very physical and exciting matchup.

6. Denver will need to be judicious with its blitz package: Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan has done an excellent job designing a high-pressure package that forces mistakes and turnovers by using multiple personnel packages and blitzes coming from all directions. Rivers leads the league when it comes to making defenses pay for sending the blitz. He has developed a great sense for recognizing the blitz: he has thrown for seven touchdowns against the blitz.

7. Expect the Broncos to take some downfield shots in the passing game: Defenses have started to push their safeties up to help cover the shorter zones as Denver has not challenged teams vertically. Just the threat of going deep now and then can do a lot to soften up the deep coverage. What the Broncos can't afford to do is to force the ball into double coverage when going deep.

8. Denver needs to play a full four quarters: The Broncos have been outscored 58-14 in the second half over the last three games and need to find a way to finish games as well as they start them. There are several theories as to why the Broncos have wilted in the second half of late. The ground game, which was productive during their six-game winning streak, has struggled during the recent three-game slide. With a weak ground game the Broncos have struggled to sustain drives and their defense has spent too much time on the field.

9. The Broncos should feed the ball to RBs Correll Buckhalter and Knowshon Moreno: The Broncos have a dynamic pair of running backs in Buckhalter and Moreno and need to re-establish their strong ground game. Denver needs to sustain long drives as they try to control the game clock and keep the ball out of the hands of Rivers and his explosive corps of receivers.

10. Matchup to watch: Denver ROLB Elvis Dumervil vs. San Diego LOT Marcus McNeill: Dumervil leads the league with 11.5 sacks. He is explosive off the edge and appears to be thriving under the new defensive scheme in which he was moved from defensive end to outside linebacker. Although he is undersized, he plays with a natural leverage and has developed counter moves for when blockers anticipate his initial upfield quickness. McNeill is a former Pro Bowl left tackle who is responsible for protecting Q Rivers' blind side. He will have his hands full in this game. (Cut and paste from every previous week)

Prediction
San Diego 21
Denver 20
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Seriously, these are so bad they are not worth posting. Thanks anyway!
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Thanks for the update, I think we need to watch all of their stupid screens. Norv loves those things.

I think we need to do nothing but zone blitzes, and audible out of it when Phillip goes into the shotgun. Then just play bump and run and make sure DJ is on LT or Sproles constantly.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
Seriously, these are so bad they are not worth posting. Thanks anyway!
No kidding. Every week its a couple points either way with no real justification. "I don't want to be too wrong, but if I'm right I knew it all along".
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Coach?

Uh, no.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
elpasojoe
Solid Starter

Location: El Paso, TX, originally Ordway (southeast) Colorado

I used to look forward to these reports, but homestly they do suck. Bring back the report they wrote for the first meeting and it is much the same as this report. Heck, the way this is reads it could have been written before the season started. Waste of my time.
elpasojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

What about MHR's matchup reports, they were actually decent.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Coach?

Uh, no.
The Chargers didn't just lose to the Redskins or fail to call a timeout during a retardedly obvious trick FG, and they have the same record as us.

We stop that trick play and we win the game because that means no TD + we were rolling on offense at that point AND Orton doesn't get injured as the play he did get hurt on never would have happened.

We have a 21-7 lead at halftime at least and an easy win.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
The Chargers didn't just lose to the Redskins or fail to call a timeout during a retardedly obvious trick FG, and they have the same record as us.

We stop that trick play and we win the game because that means no TD + we were rolling on offense at that point AND Orton doesn't get injured as the play he did get hurt on never would have happened.

We have a 21-7 lead at halftime at least and an easy win.
That's a lot of ifs and buts. Fact is McDaniel's went 6-0 to begin his career as head coach and Norv Turner destroyed a 14-2 team loaded with talent.

Norv Turner is holding that team back. McDaniels is a huge reason for this teams success.

I'd take McDaniels every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Coach and WR matchup oversights are travesties.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
That's a lot of ifs and buts. Fact is McDaniel's went 6-0 to begin his career as head coach and Norv Turner destroyed a 14-2 team loaded with talent.

Norv Turner is holding that team back. McDaniels is a huge reason for this teams success.

I'd take McDaniels every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Chargers would've won a SB or two with McD I think.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote