The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Sandiego.com : Denver aware of Chargers' second-half surges

Denver aware of Chargers' second-half surges

By Kevin Acee, Chris Jenkins

Thursday, November 19, 2009 at midnight

SAN DIEGO — For obvious reasons, the number they'd rather dismiss is 3½. That is, the number of games by which the Denver Broncos led the Chargers in the AFC West standings after they last played each other.

Now that both are 6-3 and preparing to play each other Sunday for first place in the division, the Broncos are more concerned with other numbers. Like, the Chargers' 21-5 record in the months of November and December over the past three seasons, though all five of those losses came in the past two Novembers.

“First of all,” said Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels yesterday via conference call, “this (Chargers) football team understands that the season's a long season and you have to play your best football at the end, and it's certainly proved that it knows how to do that, time and again, under Coach (Norv) Turner. They've done that three years in a row now.”

Four weeks in a row, the Chargers have won, which is how they closed so fast on a Broncos squad that has been like a snowball rolling down from one of those peaks in the Denver distance. Not only have they lost three straight games — most recently and ignominiously, to the Washington Redskins — but the Broncos don't know if injured Kyle Orton or unimpressive Chris Simms will be their quarterback Sunday.

Across from them, meanwhile, will be a Chargers team that's now caught Denver from three games behind for the second straight season. No wonder the Broncos aren't dwelling on the fact that they got caught from wayyyy behind in a short amount of time.

“We never even talk about that (3½-game lead),” said McDaniels. “I don't even know if I thought about that. I know that I knew what the standings were four weeks ago, but I also know it means nothing. What means something is playing your best football in November and December.

“If you put yourself in a position to compete after Thanksgiving, to get into the tournament, that's what's important. No team epitomizes that more than the Chargers.”

Phillips, Merriman sit

A day off from practice, to rest and rehabilitate, might be a regular thing for outside linebackers Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman for a while.

Phillips has been nursing a sprained ankle and Merriman is still getting back into playing shape after a season off following major knee surgery.

“It's the first time I've done that in a year,” Merriman said of going 60 plays a game. “It gives me an extra day to rehab and get the kinks out from the game. This is a long process. I'm playing well, but it's a lot of work.”

Phillips said he could get used to this regimen, which has seen him and Merriman sit at least one day of practice each the past two weeks.

“Any time you get a chance to rest,” Phillips said, “it's always good.”

Among the other five players who sat out of practice, only center Nick Hardwick is expected to miss Sunday's game. The Chargers have decided to sit Hardwick, out since the opener with an ankle injury, during practice this week in hopes he will be ready to practice next week and play Nov. 29 against Kansas City.

Right tackle Jeromey Clary (ankle), tight end Antonio Gates (foot), defensive lineman Travis Johnson (shoulder) and defensive tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo (ankle) all rested.

Tucker to IR

The Chargers placed outside linebacker Jyles Tucker on injured reserve with the ankle injury he suffered Nov. 1 against Oakland. Offensive tackle Corey Clark was activated from the practice squad and tackle Gerald Cadogan was signed to the practice squad.

Possible blackout

The Chargers' streak of 44 straight home games without a local television blackout is in jeopardy. More than 7,000 tickets remain for the Nov. 29 game against Kansas City.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...s-charnotes18/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Just ****ing lose so Norv can stay in the division for another year.

Take one for the greater good...
Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
BroncoMatt
The Blizzard Man

Check My Style Out

Wow, San Diego's epic streak of 44 games without a blackout is in jeopardy.
BroncoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch 2.0 View Post
Just ****ing lose so Norv can stay in the division for another year.

Take one for the greater good...
norv just went to teh AFCCG and killed us week 17 to keep us out of the playoffs.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Well, as long as we're aware of it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
When Lightning Strikes
Power House AFC West '09

Bolts all the WayFC champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#27 RIP

Kevin Acee is a fooktard...

Go Bolts
When Lightning Strikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMatt View Post
Wow, San Diego's epic streak of 44 games without a blackout is in jeopardy.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

I wonder if the Chargers are aware of Denver's second half sliiiiiiiiiiiiiides.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncomatt View Post
wow, san diego's epic streak of 44 games without a blackout is in jeopardy.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote