The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Woody Paige does the Chris Simms Shuffle

Woody's Mailbag: Broncos broken down

Jack in Denver asks Woody if Chris Simms is the answer for the Broncos
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Posted: 11/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Do you still think Chris Simms is the answer for the Broncos after what you saw in Washington? I don't think a week of work with the "ones" is going to make a difference in that situation. He is who he is ... and for the Broncos this year, in my opinion, he's the second best choice.-- Jack, Denver

Jack: My best friend texted me at halftime and said "You got your wish." It was not my wish for Kyle Orton to be injured; it was not my wish for the Broncos to lose; and it certainly wasn't my wish that Chris Simms be brought into his first game in the second half without preparation and repetitions with the first team during the week preceding the game. I had recommended that he start. We'll never know if that would have made a difference. If Orton had remained healthy, the Broncos might have won the game. Who knows? Simms did look awful ... putrid, and hundreds of e-mailers have written to gloat that I was wrong. They can continue to do so. I will not apologize to them.

I give my opinion, which is based on sound information, thoughtful research and observation, unlike some kid in Arizona who is a Broncos fan and writes a blog, without proper grammar or punctuation or understanding, from his mom's laundry room and think he knows what he's talking about, and people actually pay attention. They did not write to gloat when Orton had successive bad games. The problem is more severe. The defense is not stopping people, including a Washington team that couldn't score more than 17 points in any previous game this season. Combine that with a team now throwing interceptions, fumbling, special teams that are not and mistakes by the coaching staff.

When a team shows that it is going to use a trick play, off a field goal look, and has to call a timeout because it's one man short on the field, and then shows the same play, and the Broncos are not smart enough to be in position to defend a punter throwing a pass, then coaches and players made mistakes. The Broncos are banged up on the offensive line. Ben Hamilton is a shell of what he once was, and has been replaced. McDaniels did mess with what were excellent blocking schemes. The defensive line, which was a problem way before the season, is struggling mightily. Other than Knowshon Moreno, which of the draft choices really are contributing?

Don't talk to me about Alphonso Smith. I've gotten that garbage all year about not giving him love. What? As a return man? What? As a nickel back? Why is Ty Law here then? What about the backup safeties? People tell me Robert Ayers is sensational. He has made one play. The other team scored 7, 6, 3, 10 and 17 points in the first five games. Now the Broncos' offense, defense and special teams have combined to give up 23, 30, 28 and 27. From 43 in five to 108 in four. If the Broncos lose to San Diego, which hasn't lost since the last Broncos game and is improving — did you see L.T. against Philly? — they'll be in second place and in danger of not even making the playoffs.

Only two teams in history started 6-0 and didn't get to the postseason. The Broncos still could lose this week and will lose at Indianapolis and Philadelphia, could lose at Kansas City (in cold in December in that city, they always have played poorly, no matter the coach or quarterback) and won't have a bargain when the Giants come to town. There are two gimmes — Kansas City and Oakland here. A 3-4 record won't get it. A 4-3 mark may not be good enough. The Broncos have to come up with five victories to have a chance at the division or as a wild card. You know that Indy, New England, Cincinnati (Bengals?) and Pittsburgh are in. You've still got the Chargers and the Ravens (after Monday night) in the mix. Six teams are invited.

The Broncos are not as bad as I thought they would be (4-12, and excuse me for being the court jester), but they're not as good as some people would have you believe, with or without Orton. I thought they needed a lift. I thought Simms might provide it. In that situation, he was a train wreck. But the rest of the Broncos didn't help matters, and this schedule is rough. What helps is that the Broncos still are in a very weak division. Yet, if they do make the playoffs, they will have to go to Indianapolis or New England or Pittsburgh or, heaven forbid, back to Cincinnati (where you know what happened) and win. They have to play smarter and tougher. Are they tough enough?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13817872

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Paige is a douche but he got a couple of things right.

That was an awful performance by the Broncos, apart from Moreno none of the other picks are actually making that much of a difference.

He was spot on saying that McDaniels really messed with the Broncos run blocking schemes.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
DelBronco
Redshirt Sophomore

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Justin Bannan

Ah, the old "blogger loser that lives in his mom's basement" rebuttal.

The fact is he called for something that would 'fix' the offense. He got it, and it blew up in his face. Period. Humiliation is a stinky cologne, Woody Paige.
DelBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Paige is a waste of space and time. When he is proven wrong, then he goes on to attack other players on the team and the coach, not to mention the fans. He's a sore LOSER!
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

what exactly did you want him to say
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think Woody is entertaining, which is what he is paid for. He goes to extremes and I think he can be funny when doing that.

As for his calling for Simms, I'm not sure what makes him think Simms is any good. I don't really like Orton as the QB but it is pretty easy to see he is the best option we have right now. Maybe Branstater is good but I really have no way of knowing that and I doubt the rookie does any better than Orton.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
what exactly did you want him to say
That he got it wrong. That Simms is not what he thought it was.

And maybe to not give the "I'm a big, bad journalist who looks down on bloggers because they're all in their mom's laundry rooms and don't know what they're talking about" response to being completely and totally owned. I loved the mention of how that blogger "thinks anyone is paying attention." Considering you just mentioned him in your column, Woody, it's quite obvious that YOU are paying attention.

You were wrong, Wood. Admit it and move on without attacking anyone.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I'd like to know what Woody's "sound information" and "thoughtful research" on the subject involved other that shoving his head up his ass.

That said, he brings up some good points, but really is making excuses for Simms. In my opinion, the reason we lost the game against Washington started with Chris Simms. Yes, the defense didn't help, but had the offense stayed on the field more than a minute at a time, it probably wouldnt have had to. Simms was putrid, scared, indecisive, and just plain awful. Offensive timing starts with your quarterback. I cant see him suddenly becoming tom brady in a week. He better improve somewhat though.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

In Simms defense, the guy has not played in an NFL game (aside from preseason) in like 3 or 4 years. Granted, he stunk the joint up, but the team didn't do him any real big favors either. McD's running game is mediocre at best and the defense is falling apart. That freaking fake field goal for a TD is inexcusable.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

""""I give my opinion, which is based on sound information, thoughtful research and observation, unlike some kid in Arizona who is a Broncos fan and writes a blog, without proper grammar or punctuation or understanding, from his mom's laundry room and think he knows what he's talking about, and people actually pay attention.""""

at busting on someones punctuation in one of the most poorly constructed sentences I've ever read.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
In Simms defense, the guy has not played in an NFL game (aside from preseason) in like 3 or 4 years. Granted, he stunk the joint up, but the team didn't do him any real big favors either. McD's running game is mediocre at best and the defense is falling apart. That freaking fake field goal for a TD is inexcusable.
Well, while i agree with some of what you say, the inexcusable special teams TD came before Simms was in the game and the running game was actually working pretty well.

He sucked. Its his job not to suck. He gets paid not to suck.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow, Woody... all of that was easier than just saying you screwed up?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelBronco View Post

The fact is he called for something that would 'fix' the offense. He got it, and it blew up in his face. Period. Humiliation is a stinky cologne, Woody Paige.
Besides, Bob lives in TX and is a KC fan....
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
The defense is not stopping people, including a Washington team that couldn't score more than 17 points in any previous game this season.
Ugh ...
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

While i am not a simms supporter i do expect him to play better this week. Of course, when you've hit rock bottom all you can do is go up from there, right? right?
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

What a moron. Just admit you were wrong, rambling for 6 paragraphs doesn't make you look any better.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
So it is a defense now to suck?

The reason he hasn't played is that he sucks, if he was any good some of the teams who badly need QBs including his 2 former teams would probably have had more interest in keeping him or playing him.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

if simms starts and blows chunks this week, he will have no excuse as he had a full week of preparations with the first team. If he blows it, unfortunately, the next game is 4 days away and too dificult to bring in another QB to start if Orton cant go. Garcia would be a step up than Simms anyday of the week (and that i guess would be a Wednesday for a Thursday game). So I guess I am now saying you have until next wednesday to bring in another QB to replace Simms if he sucks again.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #19
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Then perhaps Simms shouldn't be the backup QB and the rookie elevated from the #3 spot until Simms gets back into the feel of being an NFL QB. At least Brandstater has played football consistently the past 3 or 4 years.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
he wasn't exactly a great QB last time he started. he has always been mediocre, and should not be counted on for more than just being an emergency option as a backup.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #21
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

as much as I dislike Woody, he defends himself pretty well
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Paige is a total hack. He could admit he was wrong, as almost everyone here did, but he then deflects to other issues.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I think its very strange that Woody takes the time to make attacks on Broncostalk.net, which is a blog operated by young guys who are not paid or edited in what they post, but often have more thought out and carefully researched opinions on the Broncos than Mr. Paige's diatribe on how Orton is worse than Simms, but McD is too tied to him to change. *Hufff hufff* Run on sentences tire me out. Thank goodness Woody Paige doesn't know what state I live in.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #25
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Paige is a douche.

Quote:
Humiliation is a stinky cologne, Woody Paige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Paige is a waste of space and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
You were wrong, Wood. Admit it and move on without attacking anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'd like to know what Woody's "sound information" and "thoughtful research" on the subject involved other that shoving his head up his ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Wow, Woody... all of that was easier than just saying you screwed up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
What a moron. Just admit you were wrong, rambling for 6 paragraphs doesn't make you look any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAmbiguous View Post
Paige is a total hack. He could admit he was wrong, as almost everyone here did, but he then deflects to other issues.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote