The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Kiszla: Orton's field hooky not a good move

Kiszla: Orton's field hooky not a good move

By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/17/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Any prediction regarding the Broncos, whose three-game losing streak puts what once seemed to be a secure playoff berth in jeopardy, has become a risky business.

But here's betting that if Kyle Orton is not in the huddle for the upcoming must-win game against San Diego, he is done as the quarterback in Denver.

While you might consider that assessment harsh, the NFL is a brutal business.

Orton cannot lead a reeling team or win a long-term contract from the Broncos by standing on the sideline, as he did during an embarrassing loss to Washington.

While hopeful Orton can be ready to go this weekend against the Chargers, coach Josh McDaniels isn't certain he can count on the veteran quarterback. "Not sure how that's going to go," McDaniels said Monday. "We're going to have to see how (Orton) prepares during the course of the next few days and see if and when Kyle is ready to go."

The Broncos try to be as mysterious as league rules allow regarding injuries, so perhaps Orton's evasiveness when he was asked about his health after a 27-17 loss to the Redskins was understandable, even if his curtness seemed out of line with his usually affable personality.

"I'm not going to sit here and talk about it," Orton told reporters Sunday, when an ankle injury prevented him from playing in the second half.

So let me say it: Either Orton gets on the field and plays big against San Diego, or the prospect for his long-term happiness in Denver is extremely doubtful.

Orton is one tough dude. But, as Brian Griese, Jake Plummer or Jay Cutler can tell him, being quarterback of the Broncos is an unrelentingly tough job.

Orton stood tall in the pocket in the face of the Rush Street criticism heard by every Chicago Bears quarterback since Sid Luckman. Greeted in Denver by booing from disgruntled Broncomaniacs, Orton endured a grotesquely dislocated finger during an exhibition game and came back quicker than many of his peers would have done, starting his first season in Colorado wearing a glove on his throwing hand.

But there remained nagging thoughts in my head as Orton leaned on crutches, clearly in discomfort but looking more nimble than I expected, as he made the rounds down the hallway and through a cramped visitors' locker room after Denver's offense disappeared in his absence and the Broncos gave up 13 points to Washington in the fourth quarter.

Could the veteran quarterback have played on a damaged ankle? Should Orton have given it a go? The line between playing hurt and risking further injury is one of the touchiest, murkiest, most contentious areas of gray in the NFL, where pain is part of every player's life.

Orton hurried himself back from an ankle injury a year ago and was never the same quarterback, performing so poorly late in the 2008 season the Bears were willing to dump him and overpay to acquire Cutler from Denver.

Orton operated with discretion against the Redskins, which might well be the better part of valor but counts for nothing in the NFL standings.

And the distress the Broncos now face despite their 6-3 record is as real as the disgust on the face of Denver safety Brian Dawkins as he fumed on a chair in front of his locker after the defeat.

"You can't sit there in . . . a pity pool of tears and worry about the last game. You have to move forward," Dawkins said.

Moving forward, the Broncos must be able to count on Orton to lead them.

It's no longer a certainty Denver can finish with a 10-6 record. Worse, with losses to Pittsburgh and Baltimore, 10-6 might not qualify the Broncos for the playoffs.

"There are not going to be too many teams that are going to have a straight shot and not have some adversity," Dawkins said. "In those adverse situations, you have to have the fortitude to be able to stand up in them, stand strong in them and stand together in them, so when you come out of those adverse situations by doing what you're supposed to do, you're a stronger team from it. Now this is that adverse situation for us right now. We have to stand up and stand strong."

A case can be made that Orton has been the most valuable player on this team. The statistics strongly suggest he has outplayed Cutler to this point in the season. Appreciation for Orton in Denver might have actually risen in his absence against the Redskins, as backup quarterback Chris Simms demonstrated how difficult operating the Denver offense can be.

Nevertheless . . .

In the Not For Long, almost every player, Orton included, works on a week-to-week basis.

Fair or not, value can only be proven on the field.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13803607
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

its sad that fans like rasta and colonelbeef get reassured by BS writers like kiszla. why does the denver media refuse to get behind the broncos, ever? its pure sensationalism all day every day.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Could the veteran quarterback have played on a damaged ankle? Should Orton have given it a go? The line between playing hurt and risking further injury is one of the touchiest, murkiest, most contentious areas of gray in the NFL, where pain is part of every player's life.
That's what I wondered.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I doubt very much Orton told McDaniels I can't go. My guess McDaniels and the medical staff told him to sit out the rest of the game so not risking making the injury worse and maybe be out longer than just a half of football.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #5
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Yeah so Orton should have played and risk being out for the season versus a week, possibly two?, no wonder nobody buys newspapers anymore.....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
its sad that fans like rasta and colonelbeef get reassured by BS writers like kiszla. why does the denver media refuse to get behind the broncos, ever? its pure sensationalism all day every day.
God, because sportwrihters are PAID to generate heat.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE ON A MONTH LONG LOSING STRAK.

Be prepared. They went through 5 months of apologies.

We lose the next 2?

They will be talking about the longest losing streak in 40 years.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Because there is rarely a story there that people will talk about.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Yeah so Orton should have played and risk being out for the season versus a week, possibly two?, no wonder nobody buys newspapers anymore.....
Wow, how astute, given that our coach equates an ACL to a leg amputee to a toe.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

We should have been able to beat the Redskins w/ me at QB. Washington was 2-6 for a good reason....they are terrible. What does that make us, I guess?
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

It's writers like this that probably forced Orton to come back to early from injury last season.

"But here's betting that if Kyle Orton is not in the huddle for the upcoming must-win game against San Diego, he is done as the quarterback in Denver."

That's the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. Whatever happened to judging someone on their entire effort except for one isolated situation. Between Kizla and Woody, Denver is blessed with two of the worst writers in the business. How these guys stay employed is beyond me.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
We should have been able to beat the Redskins w/ me at QB. Washington was 2-6 for a good reason....they are terrible. What does that make us, I guess?
A very good team with a terrible backup QB.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

But he's one tough sunofabeeetch
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
jmz313
Ring of Famer

more like a slighty above average team with a terrible backup. a very good team wins that game with simms, relying on run game and D. Worse teams have pulled it off.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #14
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Brandon Marshall probably told him not to go back out, especially if he'd been seen by the medical staff already.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
A team that had a bad day.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
more like a slighty above average team with a terrible backup. a very good team wins that game with simms, relying on run game and D. Worse teams have pulled it off.
No matter how good the rest of the team is, you simply can't win every time your bullpen pitcher gives up a grand slam in the 7th or 8th inning.

The defense only gave up 17 pts. The rest of the offense was running the ball well and catching anything that was within reach. Problem was, Simms was simply not throwing anything that was even remotely catchable, besides one or two passes to guys that were blanketed and that didn't go past the LOS.

One guy CAN bring down the whole team if it is your QB. This isn't a novel concept.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Huh?

This article is nonsense, it's almost as though he is threatening Orton to play without knowing how severe the injury is.

Orton will play if he is able, he has proven himself to be a tough player, and does not have to prove anything to some douche from the Denver post.

Mark Kizla is the definition of a small town journalist practicing sensationalism simply to sell newspapers. Worst thing to happen to Denver sports writing was the folding up of the only other competition in town
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #18
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Horrible article. Orton might not be with the Broncos any more because he hurt his ankle. Nothing more.... WTF
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Horrible article. Orton might not be with the Broncos any more because he hurt his ankle. Nothing more.... WTF
Seriously, barring some last minute heroics with the CBA negotiations, he'll be a restricted FA at the end of the season and could be signed for peanuts. There's literally no reason to let him go, short of death or at least an amputation of some kind.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #20
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I say we amputate and bring him back against SD.

Give him one of him one of those spring jobs.

He'll break off 3k in our system!

Last edited by watermock; 11-17-2009 at 09:38 AM..
Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Especially after the guy took the field with a friggin injury that NOBODY thought he would be able to play with at the beginning of the year. I can't believe this article was written. These Denver Post writers continue to achieve new levels of dumb.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
It's writers like this that probably forced Orton to come back to early from injury last season.

"But here's betting that if Kyle Orton is not in the huddle for the upcoming must-win game against San Diego, he is done as the quarterback in Denver."

That's the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. Whatever happened to judging someone on their entire effort except for one isolated situation. Between Kizla and Woody, Denver is blessed with two of the worst writers in the business. How these guys stay employed is beyond me.
every city has a-hole writers like these guys. usually has beens and never weres who get all warm and tingly when they think about the mischief they can cause for the hometown team with a couple of well-crafted sentences.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #23
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
A team that had a bad day.
the Broncos have had a bad month. longer if you count the close calls against a couple of teams before the bye.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #24
Popps
It's so easy

Yea, I don't get the point of the article.

Sure, Orton is better off if he plays. Thanks.

Someone gets paid to come up with that take?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #25
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Why O why couldn't the Post have folded instead of The Rocky Mountain News?
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote