The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,460

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default Smith vs Law

Does anyone else think Law was a liabilty in run support yesterday and didn't add anything in pass coverage?

I would rather play the young 1st round pick than a dude trying to get one more NFL paycheck before fading away.

Smith at least has his speed, Law knows where to line up but the point should have been made to Smith by now.

Maybe after the chugger game they will cut Law loose but I hope it is soon. It was sad watching Law try to get blocked a running play so he didn't have to make a tackle.

Also which Bronco DB was it that took Champ out on a deadskin big gain late in the game?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
misturanderson
Ring of Famer
 
Why not?

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diago
Posts: 1,786

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas
Default

That was DJ Williams.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
HEAV
Ring of Famer
 
HEAV's Avatar
 
It's about the Team

Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Ville
Posts: 12,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

I think it's more about the lack of beef in DL and missing Mcbean. Most of teh current starters are rotation players. Hopefully next season will have a stud D-lineman from the draft. Also a freeagent NT like Casey Hampton could be a huge plug in the middle.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
I think it's more about the lack of beef in DL and missing Mcbean. Most of teh current starters are rotation players. Hopefully next season will have a stud D-lineman from the draft. Also a freeagent NT like Casey Hampton could be a huge plug in the middle.
Do you think the Steelers let him walk? That could be an interesting signing.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer
 
Dudeskey's Avatar
 
This space for rent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,310
Default

Seems like any time we've been in nickel the D's struggled against the run
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,212

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

I never liked the signing from the beginning! He looks lost and that Champ and Brian have to treat him like middle school player and put him where he's suppose to be
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Smith screwed the pooch on the fake kick.

He's playing the 'deep safety" and doesn't recognize the FB streaking wide open down the field. Marcus Thomas drops 40 yards into coverage....

Sheesh...

Anyone think we will be shopping for a new ST coach this offseason?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
HEAV
Ring of Famer
 
HEAV's Avatar
 
It's about the Team

Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Ville
Posts: 12,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Do you think the Steelers let him walk? That could be an interesting signing.
Rumor is they will let him walk in 2010. He's 32 and they won't put that much $$$ in a 32 veteran with weight/condition issues. Steelers brass will just use Hoke and draft a NT to rotate to fill the Spot.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic
 
But not nauseatingly optimistic

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 243

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

This 2009 draft didn't have much impact other than Moreno
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,212

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Rumor is they will let him walk in 2010. He's 32 and they won't put that much $$$ in a 32 veteran with weight/condition issues. Steelers brass will just use Hoke and draft a NT to rotate to fill the Spot.
Plus I think Ziggy could put on some weight and go inside to NT
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusatWork View Post
This 2009 draft didn't have much impact other than Moreno
i dont think patriot players do often. ayers appears to be coming around a little bit with pressures, moreno looks good and is getting better every game, smith im unsure about, quinn is questionable too, and mcbath and bruton are learning behind our secondary and backups. its really too early to tell since a lot of them are 2nd stringers at this point.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusatWork View Post
This 2009 draft didn't have much impact other than Moreno
...Yet.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic
 
But not nauseatingly optimistic

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 243

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
...Yet.
The staff is very cautious about who they play. Very cautious.

I spose they should be after starting 6-0, you don't try to fix what aint' broke.

Now at 6-3 maybe they bring in McKinley. McKinley should be returning kicks. He's one of the impressive picks. I can't think of another, but again this is a cautious staff, they don't like to play rookies until they have to. The rookies might be good, but they automatically play a vet over a rook.
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusatWork View Post
This 2009 draft didn't have much impact other than Moreno
Ayers is starting to have an impact
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i dont think patriot players do often. ayers appears to be coming around a little bit with pressures, moreno looks good and is getting better every game, smith im unsure about, quinn is questionable too, and mcbath and bruton are learning behind our secondary and backups. its really too early to tell since a lot of them are 2nd stringers at this point.
The Pats are getting more out of there "nickle back" that they drafted in the second round then we are. They drafted Pat Chung SS and he has been playing quite a bit also. Sean Smith for Buffalo has as many PD's as Champ Bailey. Then there is Buffalo's Jairus Byrd who leads the NFL in INT's. The Jags got Derek Cox in the third round and he is 4th in the team in tackles and has 2 INTs along with 6 PD's.

As of now we are not getting the value out of Smith, and there was a good chunk of this board that claimed he would replace Goodman after week 6 starting next to Champ. The fact of the matter is his play has been so non existent that we had to pick up Law.

Quinn was a waste of a pick. McBath, has made no impact. Thats 3 second round picks that have really not effected anything.
I think we are looking at Moreno and Ayers as the only players in this draft that will impact the future of the team. Which I guess is fine given the short offseason our staff had to put together a draft.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic
 
But not nauseatingly optimistic

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 243

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Ayers is starting to have an impact
Heck, I'm just casting around. It's frustraing to be on a three game losing streak.
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The Pats are getting more out of there "nickle back" that they drafted in the second round then we are. They drafted Pat Chung SS and he has been playing quite a bit also. Sean Smith for Buffalo has as many PD's as Champ Bailey. Then there is Buffalo's Jairus Byrd who leads the NFL in INT's. The Jags got Derek Cox in the third round and he is 4th in the team in tackles and has 2 INTs along with 6 PD's.

As of now we are not getting the value out of Smith, and there was a good chunk of this board that claimed he would replace Goodman after week 6 starting next to Champ. The fact of the matter is his play has been so non existent that we had to pick up Law.

Quinn was a waste of a pick. McBath, has made no impact. Thats 3 second round picks that have really not effected anything.
I think we are looking at Moreno and Ayers as the only players in this draft that will impact the future of the team. Which I guess is fine given the short offseason our staff had to put together a draft.
that just isnt true
He is doing well on special teams, but he wasnt drafted to be a starter this year, so its unfair to indict him for not surpassing Brian Dawkins or Renaldo Hill
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The Pats are getting more out of there "nickle back" that they drafted in the second round then we are. They drafted Pat Chung SS and he has been playing quite a bit also. Sean Smith for Buffalo has as many PD's as Champ Bailey. Then there is Buffalo's Jairus Byrd who leads the NFL in INT's. The Jags got Derek Cox in the third round and he is 4th in the team in tackles and has 2 INTs along with 6 PD's.

As of now we are not getting the value out of Smith, and there was a good chunk of this board that claimed he would replace Goodman after week 6 starting next to Champ. The fact of the matter is his play has been so non existent that we had to pick up Law.

Quinn was a waste of a pick. McBath, has made no impact. Thats 3 second round picks that have really not effected anything.
I think we are looking at Moreno and Ayers as the only players in this draft that will impact the future of the team. Which I guess is fine given the short offseason our staff had to put together a draft.
you realize mcbath hasnt made an impact because hes playing behind brian dawkins right (or is it hill? regardless, hes not better than them in his first year). mckinnley is fine and showed a ton of promise, brandstater is a project, quinn i have no idea about, but no one does. smith got injured several weeks ago, whos to say it wasnt worse than we thought?

theres too many vets on this team to just expect the rookies to go unseat them in their first year.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
that just isnt true
He is doing well on special teams, but he wasnt drafted to be a starter this year, so its unfair to indict him for not surpassing Brian Dawkins or Renaldo Hill
Unfair or not its valid, and how well can he be doing on SP teams when we suck at SP teams? My point was TSI said that the Pats don't get production out of their rookies, which isn't true because they have a back up SS they drafted in the second round that still has found away to make it on the football field and a rookie CB that is playing the nickle position.

And TSI I'm not saying McBath won't end up being good, I have higher hopes for him then I do Smith or Quinn because of the players a head of him. My thinking is we had a smaller list of players going into the draft, whatever the reason is we did that and I think we might have missed a few players because of it. The problem is Smith was drafted to be the "nickle back" and for whatever reason injuries or whatever he is struggling while other teams that drafted CB's in the second round are playing better without costing a first rounder to get them.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Really what has Kenny McKinley done to even make you say a ton of potential?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #21
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic
 
But not nauseatingly optimistic

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 243

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Really what has Kenny McKinley done to even make you say a ton of potential?
I like his speed and hands. He's shown the potential to be potent.
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Unfair or not its valid, and how well can he be doing on SP teams when we suck at SP teams? My point was TSI said that the Pats don't get production out of their rookies, which isn't true because they have a back up SS they drafted in the second round that still has found away to make it on the football field and a rookie CB that is playing the nickle position.

And TSI I'm not saying McBath won't end up being good, I have higher hopes for him then I do Smith or Quinn because of the players a head of him. My thinking is we had a smaller list of players going into the draft, whatever the reason is we did that and I think we might have missed a few players because of it. The problem is Smith was drafted to be the "nickle back" and for whatever reason injuries or whatever he is struggling while other teams that drafted CB's in the second round are playing better without costing a first rounder to get them.
smith got injured early and hasnt hit the field since, i think the correlation is there. i remember all the praise he got for his run support as well as playing earlier in the season, no reason to think hes gonna be a bust yet. he was drafted to be a future #1/#2, but considering we have two very good corners there already, no need to rush him in and bench the vets.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,801
Default

I'd also like to see Smith getting time, but he's got to be healthy enough... and if he's still learning, we need to get him up to speed.

The things people should be taking away from yesterday's game regarding our defense are...

1. DJ Williams hurts this team on a regular basis.

2. We're not a deep/big enough defense to be on the field the entire game.

3. McBean is actually more important than we might have thought.t

4. 63 year old Brian Dawkins is still our defensive MVP out there, despite Doom's sack totals.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,490

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

5. We need a Nose Tackle.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
5. We need a Nose Tackle.
6. no one will talk me out of wanting to see tom brandstater on the field, though it wont happen.


remember reading PFT awhile ago i think it was, and they said that on many teams the 2nd or 3rd QB is sometimes the most popular QB of the fans. true if you think about it.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Denver Broncos