The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default What I noticed about our Power run game.

It got better this week with Hockstein in but the Oline is struggling to get to blocking at the second level.

With the pulling guard in the power game alot of the time a DL or LB is taking himself out of the play running through the A gap voided by the pulling guard and over running the play but he is still on his feet and able to get back into the play based on his pursuit.

With the ZBS usually the backside of the play is taken out of the play via a well executed cut block when they are down they are occupied by the OL pancaking them and not able to pursue the play at all.

With the Power game the way I understand it is more one on one play trying to get a pulling OL to lead or an OL/TE to trap setting the edge.

This is great to get the hole but makes it harder for the OL to block down to the next level which means the skill players need to be better down field blockers. If the second level is not getting blocked or WR's are the blockers the chances for the big runs goes way down.

By design the ZBS accounts for 1st and 2nd level blockers affording a back with great vision to make one cut and explode into the secondary.

Knowshon got his long run this year of 28 yards vs Washington. While he may be leading the league rookies with his 520 yards on 3.9 YPC he has yet to hit the big home run running behind the Power game. He only has 2 TD's through 9 games.

I couldn't DVR the game because it was on Directv and I don't have DVR for the Sunday ticket so I can't say what they were blocking on Knowshon's long run but I saw a lot of guards pulling and Sheff in motion trapping than what I used to see with ZBS.

I do think there is a place for the Power game in Denver, especially against the tougher 3-4 D's or as a change of pace with a bigger power back but I think Knowshon would have a better chance to rip off the bigger game changing run out of the ZBS more often.

Thoughts?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Hamilton was done weeks ago but his past allowed him time to try and turn it around. Not just the running game was better but also the pass protection for Orton also.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

It was working just fine and they were moving the ball well all game. I hate to play "ifs and buts", but if they continue to pound away instead of Simms throwing that Hail Mary INT, they kill a good amount of clock and the game doesn't turn around. I thought the running game looked good yesterday (when used).
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

We ran a lot more ZBS this week and a lot less power than we have in recent games, I believe that is why our run game got back on track.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

our run game worked because we went away from the power game and did more stretch plays

I hope that becomes a trend

Watching Moreno up the gut for 2 yards a clip was getting old
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Moreno is best when he is on the edges, running him at the line is wasteful He had a good game and they should've kept running the ball it was apparent that Simms wasn't going to get it done, stick with what is working Josh
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Moreno is best when he is on the edges, running him at the line is wasteful He had a good game and they should've kept running the ball it was apparent that Simms wasn't going to get it done, stick with what is working Josh
I disagree - I think Moreno has done some of his best work as an inside runner coming straight at the defense. Lots of his worst runs came when the play stretched laterally too long and allowed the LB's to anticipate his next move. I think when he works inside-out, he gets the angles he is looking for.

I sure hope we decide to lean on the run game a little more against SD, I honestly thought we would run more in the second half against the Skins since we were using a new QB.

Oh well.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I disagree - I think Moreno has done some of his best work as an inside runner coming straight at the defense. Lots of his worst runs came when the play stretched laterally too long and allowed the LB's to anticipate his next move. I think when he works inside-out, he gets the angles he is looking for.

I sure hope we decide to lean on the run game a little more against SD, I honestly thought we would run more in the second half against the Skins since we were using a new QB.

Oh well.
well either way they better focus on the run game and get some playaction going or SD will pin there ears back and blitz every play

I hope a full week of practicing with the first team will be benifical to Simms he needs something
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Moreno runs hard but I think he needs to show more patients right now. Feel the blocking and then explode. I feel as if he's too eager to prove how good he is and is just trying to do too much on his own. Somebody needs to send him film tape of Priest Holmes and say "hey kid, watch this and learn".
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I agree with th eposts here. It'll come together.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Moreno runs hard but I think he needs to show more patients right now. Feel the blocking and then explode. I feel as if he's too eager to prove how good he is and is just trying to do too much on his own. Somebody needs to send him film tape of Priest Holmes and say "hey kid, watch this and learn".
I thought he did a good job of seeing his lanes yesterday... he was able to cut and get up the field fast. We went away from the run because McDaniels tried a lot of screen passes on 1st down with Simms throwing the ball into the ground. Which negated runs
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
I thought he did a good job of seeing his lanes yesterday... he was able to cut and get up the field fast. We went away from the run because McDaniels tried a lot of screen passes on 1st down with Simms throwing the ball into the ground. Which negated runs
I think if they run the ball on that 1st down INT play they continue the drive and Knowshon has a 120 yard day with a TD.

I am still shocked that the HC didn't adjust the gameplan just a little bit giving his backup QB, who McDaniels said today in his Presser, didn't get any reps yet he expects all the backups to step in and play because they absorb the gameplan watching.

Watching and executing are 2 different things. I am getting the feeling that McDaniels is going all in with the starters and has no backup plan.

It worked the 1st 6 games but not so much the last 3.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I think if they run the ball on that 1st down INT play they continue the drive and Knowshon has a 120 yard day with a TD.

I am still shocked that the HC didn't adjust the gameplan just a little bit giving his backup QB, who McDaniels said today in his Presser, didn't get any reps yet he expects all the backups to step in and play because they absorb the gameplan watching.

Watching and executing are 2 different things. I am getting the feeling that McDaniels is going all in with the starters and has no backup plan.

It worked the 1st 6 games but not so much the last 3.
I think it was the right move. Relatively thin depth outside of WR plus a QB learning a new system which while effective could hardly be called a dangerous offense going into the Ravens game. So few teams win with backup QB's that I think you have to go all in and just hope your strater doesn't miss much time.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Moreno runs hard but I think he needs to show more patients right now.
Is Moreno a doctor?

Ba-Zing.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

I may be completely not remembering things right, but did Moreno not have a FB lining up with him for pretty much the first time? Spencer Larsen made an appearance - I wonder if that was the key.

Of course, the obvious next question is "what about Hillis?"
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #16
brother love
Pro Bowler

Whatever happened to that shotgun toss sweep we used to run with clady pulling out in front. It seemed every time we ran it last season we picked up 10 yards or more?
brother love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #17
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Morerno hd his best game sunday.

He finally showed some explosiveness onthe left side.

Get a clue.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #18
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Having a RB hold onto the ball always helps too. Buckhalter's carries should be further limited. Hochstein played better Sunday than Hamilton has all season.

The biggest blunder in the game was after having gotten a couple first downs, and one where Moreno ran for a first down into Redskin territory, and the very next play, Simms fakes a handoff and rolls out and throws a stupid pass into double, if not triple, coverage where Marshall had no chance to even knock the ball down. On a 1st down? I don't care how long Simms hasn't played, a legit NFL QB doesn't make such a decision. And it wasn't like Simms was about to get hit either, so he doesn't even have that excuse.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 AM   #19
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I think that was a terrible play. If he is a smart QB he would know that the ball is on their side of the field, and it's a tie ball game. Worst case scenario we kick a FG on that drive.

I still don't understand why he threw that ball. Did a reporter ask him what he saw? I didn't even want to watch his interview
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
I may be completely not remembering things right, but did Moreno not have a FB lining up with him for pretty much the first time? Spencer Larsen made an appearance - I wonder if that was the key.

Of course, the obvious next question is "what about Hillis?"
Larsen started, Hillis in dog house. McD said Hillis had a personal issue last week and he liked what Larsen brought Physically and in the kicking game.

McD also said Hillis was a healthy scratch because of the # of backs they had with Larsen starting.

I figure Hillis either works out his problem or he is gone. If it was real bad they would have cut him by now and brought someone up.