The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

Default Have the wheels officially come off?

In the time that Washington ran one of the most obvious fake field goals in football history I started the epic and frustrating search for the "symbolic" panic button. Curse words were abounding in my mouth and flying towards the TV. in form of a venomous spit. After a few hours of calming and finally starting to recatch my breath I started to think, have I blown this out of proportion? Is the karma of trading Cutler away catching up or is the karma of the Orangemane faithful bagging Cutler since Thursday coming to make fools of us all. (Cutler aside, let us move on) After a few hours of calming and finally starting to recatch my breath I started to think, have I blown this out of proportion? I think my answer is yes and no, yes in the fact that we just lost to a team with some of their better performers reduced to nothing more than pom pom holders on the sidelines. No in the fact that we have bottomed in the middle of the season, whereas last year we collapsed in the season finale, giving us NO hope for the remainder of the year. In this case we find ourselves in a dark hole with a slight glimmer of hope that beams only a small light at the end of the tunnel, although faint it IS there, so Bronco fans stay with the hope and again I beg for you to put back belief in your Broncos
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
DrFate
Lord of Order

The Skins game as a single game. The trend, however, is that teams that simply run at the Broncos defense and overpower them. That's a concern. And it is hard to 'scheme' around that. This team had a deficient front 7 when the season started, and that issue remains.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I'll keep pulling for the team but I don't have a lot of hope. Teams have figured out how to beat us and every week will be a struggle. The talent deficiencies we managed to hide the first 6 weeks are now very apparent. I think our ceiling is now 10-6 and we need to reel in the expectations. Hope I'm wrong.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

If they don't shore up the run defense and stop ****ting the bed on offense then yes the wheels will fall the rest of the way on this season, bottom line we need an infusion of young talent that can actually make a difference
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Soul-Bronco
Broncos 4 Life ! ! !

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

is 10-6 really that bad a record? after 9-7 7-9 and 8-8? most here were screaming 3- 13 and now we are complaining about being 6-3? this team has big holes in it left from the last regime and its just goes to the coaching for us to have a 6-3 record.

and for christ sakes people the starting QB was out the 2nd half, like it or not orton makes this offense run
Soul-Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

As much as I hate to say, yes, I think we're done. The game this weekend represents our season, and sadly I don't think we have a very good chance of winning. With Orton in, I still think SD has the edge and with Simms, well, I don't even see a reason to get on the field.

It sucks, but still it's not as bad as last years collapse.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I think we are done.
I know we should not take any team lightly.

But, losing to skins is unacceptable.
They are one of the worst teams in the NFL and their QB sucks.
They have lot of injuries this season and their coach is one of the worst playcaller's.

I am not sure if we can overcome this loss.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I watched most of the Colts/Pats game last night and you could really see that the Pats are just not the same team. They've lost Brushci, Vrabel and others and some key players are getting older, and you can see it on the field. Whereas before they would dominate, now they try to scheme around their shortcomings and hope that Brady, Moss and Welker can win it on their own. They can't. This is what Shanahan did for years, try to scheme around the players he didn't have (especially on D), much better than Belichick, BTW, who SI was calling the "best tactician in the league" this morning Shanahan out-coached him regularly... anyway, back to my point. This comes down to players. We don't have them. Especially on D. McD is a good coach, maybe a great coach. He came out of the gate with a great scheme and it protected those holes in the team for six games. Then, everybody had enough film to see what was going on. Plus, teams play differently after the first eight games are gone. They are now playing for the playoff slots. Their blocking and running is in tune. They execute with a lot more snap. Their Ds are operating as a unit. And the teams with the players rise to the top. You just can't coach your way out of the facts. When it comes to the crunch, you have the players, or you don't.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

We don't have enough talent in the front seven. When we get a group of guys that can both play the run and pass equally well, then we can be dominant. But the teams that have had success against us are those that pass out of running formations and run out of passing formations. Our dline rotation is clockwork and a bit too predictable as was the case yesterday when the Skins ate up the clock running out of a passing formation.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I got into a little bit of a debate today with someone, I think that if Orton is out for an extended period of time, they should get Tom B. some starts and reps

Simms may be the worst backup on the planet
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
We don't have enough talent in the front seven. When we get a group of guys that can both play the run and pass equally well, then we can be dominant. But the teams that have had success against us are those that pass out of running formations and run out of passing formations. Our dline rotation is clockwork and a bit too predictable as was the case yesterday when the Skins ate up the clock running out of a passing formation.
I am OK if we lose to playoff team..

But, losing to redskins with Jason as their QB..is not unforgivable.

They have one of the worst offensive lines in the footbal.

I certainly think we are more talented than them and i am shocked that we lost the game.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAmbiguous View Post
As much as I hate to say, yes, I think we're done. The game this weekend represents our season, and sadly I don't think we have a very good chance of winning. With Orton in, I still think SD has the edge and with Simms, well, I don't even see a reason to get on the field.

It sucks, but still it's not as bad as last years collapse.
It's not like we haven't beaten SD... at THEIR house. This is pretty much the same team, nothing has changed except they won a bunch of games and we lost a bunch. I'm 100 percent confident in our ability to beat the Chargers. Of course, assuming Orton will be playing.

Saying we're done at frigging 6-3 is just throwing the towel. We beat Cinci (7-2), Dallas (6-3), NE (7-2) and SD (6-3), not too shabby. The ability to beat good teams is there. I don't think the Washington games changes much because Simms and Simms alone managed to lose that one for us. Have teams figured a way to beat us? Yes. Is the coaching staff capable of adjusting and finding ways to win? We'll see. The season is far from done. I understand people with that mentality because it will be easier to bear another collapse, but right now, we're far from done.

EDIT: NE is 6-3, duh.

Last edited by BlaK-Argentina; 11-16-2009 at 07:46 AM..
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post

I certainly think we are more talented than them and i am shocked that we lost the game.
this

they were without Cooley, Portis and Haynesworth was hurt

could it possibly have set up any better for us?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
It's not like we haven't beaten SD... at THEIR house. This is pretty much the same team, nothing has changed except they won a bunch of games and we lost a bunch. I'm 100 percent confident in our ability to beat the Chargers. Of course, assuming Orton will be playing.

Saying we're done at frigging 6-3 is just throwing the towel. We beat Cinci (7-2), Dallas (6-3), NE (7-2) and SD (6-3), not too shabby. The ability to beat good teams is there. I don't think the Washington games changes much because Simms and Simms alone managed to lose that one for us. Have teams figured a way to beat us? Yes. Is the coaching staff capable of adjusting and finding ways to win? We'll see. The season is far from done. I understand people with that mentality because it will be easier to bear another collapse, but right now, we're far from done.

Ok but do you think they would beat them again?
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:

I was a bit shocked as well. But you factor in the loss of the QB (who touches the ball on nearly every offensive play), the most obvious fake FG in the history of the NFL (they showed the fake formation first then a timeout was called, then they simply lined back up in the fake formation and executed), and are one dimensional talent on the dline, you get what you had yesterday.

If Orton was healthy and the ST didn't flub that fake FG, we would have won, no question. But the mantra hold true that on "any given Sunday" anything can happen.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
this

they were without Cooley, Portis and Haynesworth was hurt

could it possibly have set up any better for us?
I guess the one positive of this is that my expectations are gone in week 10, not week 17.

There is really no excuse for this - trap game, east coast game at 1 pm, Orton injury - fact of the matter is, you don't win this game and you have no business doing anything meaningful. We had a nice run there, but the playoff teams are going to pull away at this point.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #17
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Ok but do you think they would beat them again?
Not sure about Cinci but Dallas, NE and SD? Possibly. We would have a chance against any of them. We would have to play mistake free football though, like in the first 6 weeks.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #18
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
I was a bit shocked as well. But you factor in the loss of the QB (who touches the ball on nearly every offensive play), the most obvious fake FG in the history of the NFL (they showed the fake formation first then a timeout was called, then they simply lined back up in the fake formation and executed), and are one dimensional talent on the dline, you get what you had yesterday.

If Orton was healthy and the ST didn't flub that fake FG, we would have won, no question. But the mantra hold true that on "any given Sunday" anything can happen.
I think if we would have played redskins in first half of the season.we would have won the game.

Once 2nd half season starts, we can't even beat a highschool team.

I couldn't sleep thinking about the Fake FG..that is one of the worst things that can happen.

I am not even sure if a highschool coach will allow that to happen.
If simms starts over Tom, i think our season is done.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Wheels are off. For sure. Not sure if we're done. We'll find out what sort of coach McD really is. Adversity is where coaches and teams really show what they're all about.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

To answer the question, No, the wheels have not come off. But it's going to take some really inspired coaching to get this team to the playoffs. Especially if Kyle can't play.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Denver still gets the luxury already afforded to the Chargers earlier this season. That is, 3 games against the Raiders and Chiefs. Props to SD for beating the Giants and Eagles in the past couple weeks, but there's padding under that record.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #22
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I hate to say this, but I am not calling either game against KC or the remaining Raiders game a gimme right now

yesterday should have been a gimme
Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #23
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post

You have a point I guess, but from what I've seen lately they have given me no reason to believe in anything.

I think they're good enough to do a couple of things - win a couple more games, possibly beat SD, possibly win the division. The hopeful side of me is really reaching on the latter two.

Win a playoff game? No way.

That's not really to say this season was a total disaster, we simply don't have the players and we are one season in to the McD experiment. If this is still happening 2 or 3 years from now with McD at the helm I'll be screaming about it.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
I think if we would have played redskins in first half of the season.we would have won the game.

Once 2nd half season starts, we can't even beat a highschool team.

I couldn't sleep thinking about the Fake FG..that is one of the worst things that can happen.

I am not even sure if a highschool coach will allow that to happen.
If simms starts over Tom, i think our season is done.
Our ST are a friggin joke. Take out Royal's two returns against the Chargers and what do you have? Nothing good. Berger is a joke. He got lucky on one kick yesterday. The fake FG left me speechless.

We always **** the bed in the second half of the season because of lack of talent. The other teams always figure out our schemes. Its harder to counter pure talent, which is why the Chargers are so good the last half of the season.

On a positive note though is that we have more talent on the D this year, and our offensive schemes have been so bad that they are not the treasure trove of information our opponents are probably looking for. Plus, Nolan and McD have not been shy to make changes on the fly during games, why not the second half of the season. There is a lot of football left to play and I think we can still make the playoffs.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Maybe there is a silver lining here. Maybe Brandstater gets some reps and we find out whether or not he can possibly be the QB of the future. Important decisions need to be made at the QB position this offseason and this could help.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote