The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which direction for the 2010 draft?
Move up a lot in 1st for Clausen or Mallet 3 6.38%
Move up a little to snag Bradford 3 6.38%
Stay put to select McD's fav at QB 5 10.64%
Take a QB later and select a legitimate 365 lb NT, Terrance Cody 27 57.45%
Other, please specify 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default The Orton Dillema

How solid is Orton's footing with McD? Is he the QOTF, or is he a placeholder for someone from the QB rich 2010 draft?

Jimmy Clausen, ND -- Top 5 pick
Jake Locker, Washington -- Top 15 pick
Sam Bradford, OU -- Top 20
Tim Tebow -- Top 20
Ryan Malllet -- Late first/2nd
Jevan Snead -- 2nd round

Or Terrance Cody, the DT we've wanted for a long time, may be available for us. Thoughts?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I would go for Terrence Cody. We need him more than we need a new QB...
I think we need to give Brandstater a legitimate shot to compete for the starting job next season.
Drafting a new QB will take yet another 2 years to develop.
Our defense can only be good for so long, and with the way free agency goes sometimes, we can't afford to take a hit at our players on defense in the next 2-3 years while we try to develop QB's...
That's just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

Last edited by strafen; 11-14-2009 at 10:00 AM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

I hope that we take a QB.

Orton is a decent player, but he's not a QB that will lead you to a SB.

Plus he's a Free Agent after this year.

With how the bears are playing and Bradford's injury, I don't we will have to trade up to get him.
BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Here is my take on our QB situation going forward:

Orton is not the long-term answer. He is a stop gap QB until McDaniels finds his protege.

Not sure what McDaniels thinks in regards to Tom Brandstater and his future as a potential starter.

Knowing McDaniels, he is going to think he can draft a QB in Rounds 3-7 and turn him into a solid/good starting QB in the NFL without having to spend a 1st or a 2nd rounder on one....and McDaniels is capable of picking out a gem to tutor and groom in the later rounds.

A lot depends on what Orton does from here on out this year. If he takes a steaming dump on us, he will not be back as a starter for sure.

If he plays some decent football, I could see McDaniels drafting a prospect or signing/trading for a younger prospect already in the league and letting Orton battle it out for the job in 2010.

I have no proof, but get the feeling that McDaniels is starting to see Orton's ceiling and is realizing he is not his QB of the future. I could see Orton coming back as the backup QB....and I would have no problem with that.

So basically....I could see Orton back for another year as the starter....but ideally McDaniels would like to find a replacement in the near future.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I think when Ryan Malllet does enter the draft, he will be a top five pick overall....possibly the #1 overall pick.

I think he plays another year at Arkansas before declaring.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

draft the best available OG, DL, or Secondary and call it a day.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Orton is a place holder. I'd like to see them take a QB, but if there is a better player, I'd say go after that player. First round QBs are a big risk, and a lot of QBs taken in later rounds do great. So I wouldn't sell the farm just to get rid of Orton, but I hope that there is a plan for the future for that position.
Jason in LA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
CEH
Ring of Famer

I intriqued with Jevan Snead. 1st round talent that should be around
in the 2nd. Not a great % completion at Ole Miss and throws alot of INTs but bottomline Can he be coached up.
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Orton is functional. Maybe better than functional with good coaching and top level talent around him. No, he can't make opposing defenses defend the whole field, but he's a smart guy with limitations. There have been a lot of very good QB's with limitations. Big arms guarantee you nothing, ask the Raiders. The guy has made some mistakes these last two games, but he's also made quite a few excellent plays up to this point in the season.

Unless some ridiculously good QB talent is just sitting there whenever Denver makes it's first selection, I honestly believe McDaniels absolutely must address the defensive line, and that's assuming there will be a D-lineman there worth taking. I just don't buy into the idea that QB is a first priority in 2010.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Orton is functional. Maybe better than functional with good coaching and top level talent around him. No, he can't make opposing defenses defend the whole field, but he's a smart guy with limitations. There have been a lot of very good QB's with limitations. Big arms guarantee you nothing, ask the Raiders. The guy has made some mistakes these last two games, but he's also made quite a few excellent plays up to this point in the season.

Unless some ridiculously good QB talent is just sitting there whenever Denver makes it's first selection, I honestly believe McDaniels absolutely must address the defensive line, and that's assuming there will be a D-lineman there worth taking. I just don't buy into the idea that QB is a first priority in 2010.

No need to draft a QB for a few years.....Wait until 2012 and try to position yourself for Luck or Barkley.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I seriously think they worry about the line (either side) followed by BPA

I seriously think Tom B is being groomed
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

If Kyle Orton continues to play at his current pace, he'll put up some solid if not spectacular numbers (3500 yards 18 TD's only 8 INT's)...and more importantly, we should be back in the playoffs after a 3 year absence. But that's not good enough for you is it....he has to win the whole enchilada to get even a chance to start in Denver.

For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of posters on here. Guys like Craig Morton, Jake Plummer, and Kyle Orton who aren't flashy but generally win games are often maligned on here...and yet clowns like Brian Griese, and Jay Cutler who fold under pressure and throw INT's at the worst possible time, and couldn't lead a starving mob to an all you-can-eat buffet are lauded and praised as being great QB's who just didn't have any support from their team mates.

Kyle Orton will be our QB until someone else proves they can obtain a better grasp of the offense, make more plays, and win more games.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Take the best available player
If that player plays qb, then so be it

Drafting for need early on minimizes the benefit you get out of the draft

I am comfortable with Orton being the starter next year if we dont get a qb in the offseason
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
If Kyle Orton continues to play at his current pace, he'll put up some solid if not spectacular numbers (3500 yards 18 TD's only 8 INT's)...and more importantly, we should be back in the playoffs after a 3 year absence. But that's not good enough for you is it....he has to win the whole enchilada to get even a chance to start in Denver.

For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of posters on here. Guys like Craig Morton, Jake Plummer, and Kyle Orton who aren't flashy but generally win games are often maligned on here...and yet clowns like Brian Griese, and Jay Cutler who fold under pressure and throw INT's at the worst possible time, and couldn't lead a starving mob to an all you-can-eat buffet are lauded and praised as being great QB's who just didn't have any support from their team mates.

Kyle Orton will be our QB until someone else proves they can obtain a better grasp of the offense, make more plays, and win more games.
The goal isn't to make the playoffs. The goal is to win the Super Bowl. Sure, making the playoffs is the first step, but if they aren't Super Bowl contenders then changes need to be made so that they can get to that level.
Jason in LA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

I have no proof, but get the feeling that McDaniels is starting to see Orton's ceiling and is realizing he is not his QB of the future..
I'm seeing things like this being said numerous times....to which I have to ask....

Who ever said that McDaniels believed Orton was the "QB of the future"?

Perhaps McDaniels saw Orton as the best option to run his offense until the QBOTF could be found?

Having said that if Orton continues to help this team win games, and puts up solid to very good numbers, why would he lose his job to some unknown, unproven player?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
The goal isn't to make the playoffs. The goal is to win the Super Bowl. Sure, making the playoffs is the first step, but if they aren't Super Bowl contenders then changes need to be made so that they can get to that level.
Well you said it yourself...making then playoffs is the first step. No team ever won the SB without making the playoffs first.

So let's take Orton outta the situation, can you honestly say that this team is ready to win the Super Bowl as is? You don't think our OL needs some work? What about special teams? What about our DL?

Are you saying that this team is just one piece of the puzzle away from winning it all?

And again...if Orton puts up solid numbers, what makes you think that he'd be the reason we didn't win it all?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Orton is an incredible inept QB. No freakin' way!!!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Orton is an incredible inept QB. No freakin' way!!!
Orton=Winner. BOOSH!
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

orton is a decent backup i repeat ( backup) get a young QB and move on to the promiseland!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I think there is a number of good safties in the draft I would like us to get a little younger in the secondary.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

If a QB that McDaniels likes falls to us, take him. If not, don't.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
draft the best available OG, DL, or Secondary and call it a day.
This!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #23
Williams
Pro Bowler

I vote we wait to see how the rest of the season/postseason plays out.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #24
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

I would like to see TJ make 'Public Poll" the default option that way if someone feels on the rare occasion that a poll needs to be a private poll they can select it otherwise public would be automatically selected. I believe under the current default most private polls are selected by omission.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #25
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I'm on the OG or DL bandwagon, unless it's Mallett. With the DL, Brandon Graham is perfect for a 3-4
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote