The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default The "official" halfway way through the season thread

I think it's a good idea to take a look at things now as we have wrapped up the 1st half of the season. There weren't alot of expectations outside of the Broncos locker room in terms of having success this season but a quick 6-0 start became the talk of the NFL (along the with Saints of course). Things have gotten a little rough with losing our last 2 but let's put things back into perspective here. This team is going through a total rebuild and when you look at what they have done, it's amazing. It would have been amazing to be 6-2 having played a weak schedule but when you look at the records of the teams we've played so far, it's even more amazing. I don't think there is a single team that can boast a strength of schedule quite like we can.

6 of our 8 games come against teams with impressive records (and the Ravens are no doubt the best damn 4-4 team EVER in the NFL).

6-2
6-2
6-2
6-2
5-3
4-4

Okay, so does that put things back into perspective a little bit? I know there have been some guys starting to crank up their moaning engines with 2 recent losses but let's remember what we were thinking just a little while ago when the season first started and then also looking at the quality of teams the Broncos have faced.

I look forward to a great 2nd half of the season and hopefully a playoff birth. That would really put this team ahead of schedule for a total rebuild.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have to say that this season has surprised the hell out of me. I'm not a Josh McDaniels fan, but the man clearly isn't in over his head. Now that teams have considerable film on Denver, I would hope he would make adjustments to the predictability factor which I believe has contributed some to the two straight losses. I'm certain Nolan will mix up the defensive schemes. He has shown a very refreshing ability to make half-time adjustments that we never could have hoped for under Slowik.

For a first half of the season, McDaniels is coach of the year. Knocking off New England was unreal. In the second half, we have two games against Kansas City and one more against Oakland, so 9 wins seem a lock no matter what else happens, but I expect the Broncos to knock off a San Diego (again), and/or Indy and maybe even Philly. 11 wins seems very much within reach. Unbelievable.

Kudos to McDaniels. Never thought it would happen. Not this year. Not next year. The Boy Blunder no more, that's for sure.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I have to say that this season has surprised the hell out of me. I'm not a Josh McDaniels fan, but the man clearly isn't in over his head. Now that teams have considerable film on Denver, I would hope he would make adjustments to the predictability factor which I believe has contributed some to the two straight losses. I'm certain Nolan will mix up the defensive schemes. He has shown a very refreshing ability to make half-time adjustments that we never could have hoped for under Slowik.

For a first half of the season, McDaniels is coach of the year. Knocking off New England was unreal. In the second half, we have two games against Kansas City and one more against Oakland, so 9 wins seem a lock no matter what else happens, but I expect the Broncos to knock off a San Diego (again), and/or Indy and maybe even Philly. 11 wins seems very much within reach. Unbelievable.

Kudos to McDaniels. Never thought it would happen. Not this year. Not next year. The Boy Blunder no more, that's for sure.
And yet another thing I think is quite amazing is that he has done this with alot of players that other teams thought of as pretty much junk. Yes we had some talented players from our most recent drafts but there was a load of crap players from the last few Shanny teams and he cut them and had to go with low end FA's and no names for the most part. I'm pumped about the future with Josh and Nolan getting a few good drafts under their belt.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
houghtam
Ring of Famer

I call it the college football effect. You have to lose early or you're not for real.

If you're 6-2 on a 6 game winning streak, everyone talks about how awesome you are. If you're 6-2 on a 2 game losing streak, you get crap and people say teams are figuring you out.

6-2 is 6-2. It's the equivalent at midseason of being 12-4. I'm happy with that.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I call it the college football effect. You have to lose early or you're not for real.

If you're 6-2 on a 6 game winning streak, everyone talks about how awesome you are. If you're 6-2 on a 2 game losing streak, you get crap and people say teams are figuring you out.

6-2 is 6-2. It's the equivalent at midseason of being 12-4. I'm happy with that.
Good point. And I will just reiterate this point.

6-2
6-2
6-2
6-2
5-3
4-4
Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Am I missing something? We play KC twice, Oakland once, Washington once over the next 8 games...

*Edit* I am a fool. I didnt read the first post correctly. That first half of the schedule looked bad in offseason...yet we came through it at 6-2.

Last edited by Archer81; 11-14-2009 at 11:38 PM..
Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

@ Wash 2-6
SD 5-3
NYG 5-4
@ KC 1-7
@ INDI 8-0
Oak 2-6
@ PHI 5-3
KC 1-7

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Am I missing something? We play KC twice, Oakland once, Washington once over the next 8 games...

And San Diego at home and a Giants team that is reeling.

If we handle up with the games we should win, KC, Joketown, Foreskins, Chargeless and then sneak one of the Giants, Colts or Eagles, thats 6 more wins.

I'll take 12-4 but I think at the worst, Denver is finishing 11-5.

Thats a damn fine first season for Josh McD IMO.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

You play KC twice, Joketown, and the foreskins.

Now would be the time to open up the passing game and take risks. Work out whatever kinks you might have and give Orton more room to grow into the offense against $3it opponents...
Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

Couldn't be more proud of this team, especially considering the offseason and how everyone wanted to leave them for dead.

That said, it's just all about finishing. This isn't a Superbowl team, but I just want to see this team fight hard and finish strong.

Arizona had a mediocre season last year... but finished strong and it paid off with a SB appearance.

Finishing a season strong does nothing but good things for your franchise. You carry that momentum into the postseason, and into the next season. We need to break the cycle of fading as the season goes on.

I suspect with the kind of coaching and leadership we have... this team will gut it out and make the fans proud.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #11
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

I will be very disappointed if this team collapses like it has the past few years.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic

But not nauseatingly optimistic

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It was a very good first half. Yes the important thing is to bloody well finish strong. And it starts today. We can't let the weak teams steal a victory.

4-4 is very doable, but that might not make the playoffs so we will have to beat all the weak teams and get 2 wins against the strong four. Sweeping the Division games would be huge.
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We have two K.C. games, the Raiders, and Washington. If we don't get to 10 wins I will be very disappointed.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

schube13
Broncos have toughest strength of schedule (opp. 36-28 / .563) among teams with winning records...fifth-toughest overall in NFL
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #15
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

@ Wash 2-6 -- W
SD 5-3 -- W
NYG 5-4 --W
@ KC 1-7 -- W (But I STILL hate playing at arrowhead)
@ INDI 8-0 -- L
Oak 2-6 -- W
@ PHI 5-3 -- L
KC 1-7 -- W

12-4 seems within reach.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote