The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Default lets get some serious draft talk goin on

For those of us draft junkies we need to check this page more and get some more convo goin....

That being said, I remember we had the discussion a couple years back about drafting mcfadden, this year I'm back on the improve the run game train........

LG/C O line early and often in this draft, we can trade back in the first pick up a secound rounder, and with our first two rounds get the premier G and C in this draft, while still having a secound rounder on either a QB, DE, or DT, which will have plenty of depth at anyways.

So our O-line would consist of Clady, 1st/2nd pick, 1st/2nd pick, Kuper, Harris..... the premier line the NFL with knowshon and Buckhalter running behind it, beautiful. I also would love to see a few a few of the QB's out there takin with the 2nd rounder, even Tebow stricly for a wildcat.... anyways.... lets do some draft talk
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Have you seen mike iupati play? I see him listed as the highest ranked LG. He's 330 lbs but is allegedly athletic. Ive never seen him play though.

I also wouldnt mind Asamoah or Petrus. We also need to consider centers with Wiegmanns age. Id be interested to see if O'Dowd (USC) or Pouncey (UF) turn pro a year early. I wouldnt mind either one of them.

But of the more well known guys, Id like Cody, Spikes, or McClain. I think McClain is better against the run but I think Spikes brings more to the table in terms of pass rush and picking off passes, etc. And since we run a 3-4, I see the value in what Spikes does as a pass rusher.

Id also like to take Brandon Banks of Kansas State in lower rounds.

I also like Oghobaase and Odrick.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Yes, we need to get this section of the board kicking.

I don't think we will draft a G/C in the 1st not enough value there. But I see the infusion of youth at the Dline and picking up guard (Mike Johnson) in the 3rd. He would fit the system.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I always regard the 1st round pick as the place where you get the guy you believe will be a real playmaker at whatever position, even if he only adds to a strength. I suppose that's BPA in a nutshell. I also want a player who has this key phrase in his profile: Makes the players around him better. I believe Terrance Cody would fulfill that requirement for the Broncos. I've watched a few Alabama games this year. The dude is a force. He dominates, even when he's being double, and sometimes triple teamed. IMO, putting a guy like that in the middle of the Broncos Dline makes the pass rush better, the secondary better and leads to a higher percentage of TOs. In other words, games won.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I always regard the 1st round pick as the place where you get the guy you believe will be a real playmaker at whatever position, even if he only adds to a strength. I suppose that's BPA in a nutshell. I also want a player who has this key phrase in his profile: Makes the players around him better. I believe Terrance Cody would fulfill that requirement for the Broncos. I've watched a few Alabama games this year. The dude is a force. He dominates, even when he's being double, and sometimes triple teamed. IMO, putting a guy like that in the middle of the Broncos Dline makes the pass rush better, the secondary better and leads to a higher percentage of TOs. In other words, games won.
Cody dominates because Saban and that staff only allow him to play 2 downs. Do you want to spend a 1st on guys that Gilbert Brown 2.0?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Mount Cody is gonna be a high high pick but I agree it would take our D to the next level, could Feilds play any DE? Cody does have some stamina issues anyways so a combination of him and Feilds could be deadly, their games are alot differet and could keeep a center off balance all game
Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I dont like cody at all he would wilt at altitude and he has had some injury concerns I would say he is more of a sam adams type and we all remember what TD did to him in the superbowl.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Cody dominates because Saban and that staff only allow him to play 2 downs. Do you want to spend a 1st on guys that Gilbert Brown 2.0?
If he gets me a TO every five plays or so? Sure. And as far as wilting at attitude, I presume he'd live here and get used to it, like all the rest of the Broncos. Imagine for a second how the opposing center would feel by the end of the game after facing Cody for two thirds of the plays and Fields for the other third? Especially at altitude. By the fourth quarter we'd be racking up sacks in bundles.

Why do you think Alabama has the best D in college?

Last edited by Rohirrim; 11-13-2009 at 11:24 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
If he gets me a TO every five plays or so? Sure. And as far as wilting at attitude, I presume he'd live here and get used to it, like all the rest of the Broncos. Imagine for a second how the opposing center would feel by the end of the game after facing Cody for two thirds of the plays and Fields for the other third? Especially at altitude. By the fourth quarter we'd be racking up sacks in bundles.

Why do you think Alabama has the best D in college?

Yeah, if you want to know how important a good NT can be on 2 out of three downs, try checking out our running game the past two games. The past two games have underscored the importance of the piece of real estate around the center and the value of putting the other teams in 3rd and longs. If Cody means 3rd and longs, how is he not worth the pick? It also kind of goes back to the NT and the rush LB being the most important positions in a 3-4.

Of course, we also need to improve our own running game for similar reasons

Last edited by lex; 11-13-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Old 11-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think there is going to be some depth at NT this year.

If I had my choice right now, we'd be selecting Rolando McClain, ILB from Alabama.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What about Suh,

Havent seen his film yet, but from what i have heard he is better than mt cody.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Suh wouldn't play NT though, but yes Suh is a complete freak.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
What about Suh,

Havent seen his film yet, but from what i have heard he is better than mt cody.
Suh, great but he is healthy Tommy Harris/Warren Sapp type of player and would be wasted in 3/4.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I think there is going to be some depth at NT this year.

If I had my choice right now, we'd be selecting Rolando McClain, ILB from Alabama.
Like Baker's ex-team mate Phil Taylor (330 pounds). Taylor has the ability to hold the middle and force team to run outside. Between Fields, Baker and Taylor the interior would be set for awhile
Old 11-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

I guess LG and C could be addressed in rounds 2/3 almost as effectively as rounds 1/2 if you think about it, plus adding a monster to the front 7, no outbackers though I think were set there
Old 11-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #16
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

Suh is a top 5 pick.

Call me a UT homer, but I love Dan Williams from Tennessee. He weighs 225/230, but has a very wide frame to carry it. He looks built, not sloppy like Cody. While I'm sure Cody will do some damage, I could also see his weight becoming a major issue.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #17
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Michigan DE Brandon Graham is a stud who will be a force on Sundays.

He reminds me a lot of former Wolverine LaMarr Woodley.

I think Graham could make the transition to 3-4 OLB, much like Woodley did with the Steelers.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Junior wide receiver Mike Williams, who left the Syracuse program three weeks ago, has informed school officials that he will not return next season, and will enter the NFL draft in April 2010 as an underclassman, sources told ESPN.com.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Junior wide receiver Mike Williams, who left the Syracuse program three weeks ago, has informed school officials that he will not return next season, and will enter the NFL draft in April 2010 as an underclassman, sources told ESPN.com.
Williams has a ton of physical talent, but apparently quit the team after being threatened with another suspension. There will be some character concerns he needs to address before April.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Michigan DE Brandon Graham is a stud who will be a force on Sundays.

He reminds me a lot of former Wolverine LaMarr Woodley.

I think Graham could make the transition to 3-4 OLB, much like Woodley did with the Steelers.
He doesnt seem as explosive as Woodley.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #21
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Here's my mock draft as of now:

1. DE Cameron Heyward - Ohio State
2. OC JD Walton - Baylor
3. CB Kyle Wilson - Boise State
4. CB Alterraun Verner - UCLA
5. *Traded for LeKevin Smith>
6. LB Auston English - Oklahoma
7. OT James Williams - Harvard

Ohio State moves Heyward all over the D-line, he's basically unstoppable. The only question is if he comes out early. If not, he's a Top 5 lock next year, and I would change the selection to Jared Odrick, whom I think is a Top 15 talent. We need serious help at DE, especially in terms of penetration and pressure. If our 3 man line could do some damage on its own, that would free up Dumervil and our blitz packages.

I see Walton as an instant starter whom has the athleticism and strength to step in from Day 1. I expect both Hamilton and Wiegmann to be gone. If Wiegmann stays, that just allows Walton to be brought along slower. He can provide depth at OG as well in the meantime.

Assuming Ty Law is just a 1 year rental, we have three CBs on this team. Most NFL teams have around 6. And our two starters are over 30. Wilson could help on returns and free up Royal to focus on being a better WR, especially with Stokley likely being gone. He might project as a nickel long term. Verner can provide depth as he develops into a solid outside starting CB. Double-dipping at CB in the mid rounds should be excellent value and go a long ways towards shoring up our developing CB talent and depth.

With the last two picks, I figure we just need some depth. OT seems like a lock with Brandon Gorin being inactive most games, so we should probably have a rookie as our 4th inactive OT developing. Jarvis Moss' time should be up soon due to his contract numbers. So, a late round flier on some depth at OLB makes sense to replace him.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Report: Clausen will enter the draft

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ter-the-draft/

Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2009 11:35 AM ET

It's not a surprise, but it's now officially closer to being official.

Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen will enter the 2010 NFL draft, according to Joe Schad of ESPN (via Rotoworld.com).

Clausen's decision becomes a no-brainer with coach Charlie Weis by all appearances on the way out of South Bend, and in light of the possibility that the manner in which the NFL pays rookies will change come 2011.

Though Clausen's stock has been on the rise, his ultimate status will be determined by his pre-draft workouts, and by the pre-draft workouts of the other eligible quarterbacks.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #23
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

I've got to say that the only QB that I've seen that I think could be worth the investment in the first 3 round of this draft is Tony Pike from Cinncinatti. He definitely needs to bulk up a bit and get a year or two developing, but he has everything you want in a QB other than about 15-20 lbs. He has a good arm, great measurables, is decently mobile, is accurate, makes good decisions and is clutch in the red zone.

If he is there with our 2nd round pick (maybe even 3rd) I would give him some serious thought.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #24
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Cody, Brandon Spikes, Toby Gerhart studs in the first round imo

I'd LOVE Tebow in the 2nd+ round
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #25
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Here's my mock draft as of now:

1. DE Cameron Heyward - Ohio State
2. OC JD Walton - Baylor
3. CB Kyle Wilson - Boise State
4. CB Alterraun Verner - UCLA
5. *Traded for LeKevin Smith>
6. LB Auston English - Oklahoma
7. OT James Williams - Harvard

Ohio State moves Heyward all over the D-line, he's basically unstoppable. The only question is if he comes out early. If not, he's a Top 5 lock next year, and I would change the selection to Jared Odrick, whom I think is a Top 15 talent. We need serious help at DE, especially in terms of penetration and pressure. If our 3 man line could do some damage on its own, that would free up Dumervil and our blitz packages.

I see Walton as an instant starter whom has the athleticism and strength to step in from Day 1. I expect both Hamilton and Wiegmann to be gone. If Wiegmann stays, that just allows Walton to be brought along slower. He can provide depth at OG as well in the meantime.

Assuming Ty Law is just a 1 year rental, we have three CBs on this team. Most NFL teams have around 6. And our two starters are over 30. Wilson could help on returns and free up Royal to focus on being a better WR, especially with Stokley likely being gone. He might project as a nickel long term. Verner can provide depth as he develops into a solid outside starting CB. Double-dipping at CB in the mid rounds should be excellent value and go a long ways towards shoring up our developing CB talent and depth.

With the last two picks, I figure we just need some depth. OT seems like a lock with Brandon Gorin being inactive most games, so we should probably have a rookie as our 4th inactive OT developing. Jarvis Moss' time should be up soon due to his contract numbers. So, a late round flier on some depth at OLB makes sense to replace him.
Hmm....not bad, but I'm not sure we can 4 of our current 6 picks on DB and OL, though I think both need to be addressed. Somewhere in there, I think you've got to find another offensive weapon, maybe an ILB, and developmental QB. I'm also not sold on Heyward as a possible top-10 pick, with the depth of DE talent this year. You mentioned Odrick, but Wootton, Oghobasse, Arthur Jones, and Brandon Deadrick all have the ability to be solid DE's and should be available throughout the 2nd round. I think the Broncos would maximize their return with, say, Rolando McClain round 1, Oghobasse round 2, and Matt Tennant round 3. Overall though, we could certainly do a lot worse than your mock.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: