The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Default Betts iffy for Sunday's game

Hasn't been able to practice with a high ankle sprain.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I read Portis is out too. Who's that leave? Do they still have that little short guy who was a training camp sensation for us last year? I can't remember his name, it's driving me nuts.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I read Portis is out too. Who's that leave? Do they still have that little short guy who was a training camp sensation for us last year? I can't remember his name, it's driving me nuts.
Boyd?
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Redskins' Portis ruled out for Sunday's game against Broncos because of concussion
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (CP) – 2 hours ago

ASHBURN, Va. — Clinton Portis' concussion will keep the Washington Redskins running back out of Sunday's game, one of many injury concerns for coach Jim Zorn as his team prepares to face the Denver Broncos.

Portis was hurt in a helmet-to-helmet hit in the first quarter of Sunday's 31-17 loss to Atlanta. He underwent tests this week and was not at the practice facility Thursday.

"We kept Clinton at home just to get rest," Zorn said. "That was kind of doctor's orders."

Portis is having a disappointing year by his standards, with only 494 yards rushing. He last missed a game in 2006, when hand and shoulder injuries ended his season early.

Portis' injury means Ladell Betts will get his first start since 2006, assuming Betts is able to play. The backup is nursing a sprained ankle and did not practice Thursday, although Zorn said he expects him to be available.

There is also considerable doubt as to the makeup of the starting offensive line. With Mike Williams out with an ankle injury, midseason signing Levi Jones will start at left tackle and Stephon Heyer has been moved from left tackle to right tackle. Heyer was limited in practice Thursday with a knee injury, so he was replaced during the workout by D'Anthony Batiste.

Also, Chad Rinehart could get the start ahead of Will Montgomery at right guard, although that move would be performance-related and not mandated by injuries.

"That's kind of an ongoing battle," Zorn said. "Our ranks are running thin."

The starting left tackle and right guard going into the year, Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas, are out with season-ending injuries.

Also, the Redskins are dealing with a now-weekly quandary at punter. Hunter Smith, who has a recurring groin injury in his kicking leg, will try to punt during Friday's practice.

If he can't play, Sam Paulescu will punt for the second straight game and Smith will be a candidate for injured reserve.

"It's a possibility if he continues to reaggravate this thing," Zorn said. "Tomorrow is kind of an important day."
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Anthony Alridge.

Looks like they released him on 10/20 according to wiki.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
If he can't play, Sam Paulescu will punt for the second straight game and Smith will be a candidate for injured reserve.

"It's a possibility if he continues to reaggravate this thing," Zorn said. "Tomorrow is kind of an important day."
Paulescu will punt off 200k against us.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Rock Cartwright is the guy that will get most of the carries.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

If the plane doesn't crash, we should win.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Travis McGriff?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Betts limited by foot injury but expects to play
Running back Ladell Betts (foot) was limited in practice but expects to start Sunday against the Denver Broncos at FedEx Field, he said today at Redskins Park.

"It feels ... it's a little sore when I was in there," Betts said. "I tried not to do anything too drastic because I didn't want to have any setbacks, but I was able to move around and I actually ran a couple of plays today, so that's a good start for me. I think I'll be able to go Sunday."

In last week's 31-17 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, Betts provided a spark in the running game rarely seen in the Redskins' past 16 games. After relieving top back Clinton Portis, who suffered a concussion in the first quarter, Betts rushed for a team-high 70 yards (he had a 4.7-yard average) and his first touchdown. He tied Portis and punter Hunter Smith for the team lead in rushing touchdowns.

With Portis ruled out Sunday, the Redskins expressed concern because the hard-working Betts, who is among the team's most focused players in practice, was unable to prepare as he usually does because of his foot injury. But Betts will be able to start in two days, he said.

"It's not really my ankle; it's more my foot, like a foot sprain," Betts said. "But it's getting better. It's probably 75 percent right now."

Betts also is Washington's third-down back, and Coach Jim Zorn would continue to use Betts in that role against the Broncos as well as giving him the majority of the carries. Zorn, however, is prepared to have a running game "by committee unless Ladell feels great."

Running backs Rock Cartwright and Quinton Ganther will be involved as well, Zorn said. "Those guys will get reps regardless."
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Broncotilldeath
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Whoever starts should have a good game, I kid I kid.
Broncotilldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
If the plane doesn't crash, we should win.
Don't even joke about that.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote