The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Default Paige: Woody's Mailbag, Tickets a hot topic

Quote:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13766778

"Note to readers: Because my two columns this week have generated such a firestorm and several hundred e-mails, I will address those two subjects in this week's mailbag.

The first was about how 20,000 Steelers fans had taken over the stadium on Monday night because Broncos' season-ticket holders chose to sell their tickets to Steelers fans.

The second was about why the Broncos should start backup quarterback Chris Simms in Washington. The majority of the e-mails supported both of my positions, but there was a vocal minority, including this e-mail:

Mr. Paige,

I am a "no-show, no-clue 'fan'" Let me tell you who else I am.

I am a season-ticket holder. My father bought season tickets in 1962 and transferred them to me in 1996. I would venture a guess that my family has paid for and attended a few more games than you have.

I am also a father of four. I sold nine out of 10 of my season tickets this year. The one I didn't sell was the fourth and final preseason game, which was my 7-year-old son's first Bronco game.

I am also one of the thousands, tens-of-thousands, hard-working tax payers who found themselves out of work at the beginning of 2009 when my company laid me off at the end of 2008. Faced with a May "payment due" date from the Denver Broncos, I opted to sell rather than use my unemployment checks to pay for extravagance.

Mr. Paige, you are paid to offend, and this time you hit your mark. My advice to you: stick to TV where they slap you with makeup and sit next to a "mute" button. Without us no-clue" fans you wouldn't have a job.
Chris Bruno, Arvada

Chris: Despite your feelings about me, I believe I understand your plight. My father spent more than 25 years with a company before he became disabled. When a major corporation bought out the company, my father was unceremoniously fired. We lived in a government housing project when I was a kid. We knew hard times when my dad was making a dollar a day. Then, at the end of his life (he was in his 40s when he died), my dad was a diabetic with one leg amputated, without a job and without much hope. My parents had to sell their nice house, and I had to drop out of school.

I am not paid to offend. Nobody I've ever worked for in 43 years of journalism has told me to offend. In fact, I think my editors, publishers and the newspaper owner would prefer that I be nicer. What I am paid to do is offer an opinion. I respect your opinion, and would hope you would respect my right in a free country to have an opinion.

My opinion was, and remains, that Broncos season-ticket holders should not sell their tickets to Pittsburgh Steelers fans. The Broncos claim that there are 23,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets. There are hundreds of thousands of other people in Colorado who would like to go to a game. But close to 50,000 season ticket-holders put their tickets on StubHub or eBay or Craigslist or probably a dozen other websites that broker tickets, and the Steelers fans, who have the strongest core of backers throughout the country (220 fan clubs) -- and, as I wrote at the Super Bowl, Pittsburgh is really America's Team -- bought up the tickets. Why wouldn't people here go to their friends, their neighbors, their fellow workers who might actually like the Broncos and sell to them? One might not be a true fan of the team if he or she is willing to sell their season tickets to somebody who will wave yellow towels and wear a jersey supporting the other team. You're smart enough to know that.
I don't blame you for selling your tickets and making a profit. I have no idea what you sold them for, and don't care (hope you made a fortune), but why not sell them to Broncos fans? It's easy enough. Put an ad in The Post or walk up to people at the one game you went to and ask them if they want to buy tickets for the season, and contact them. (But don't scalp on city property.)

I understand that the economy has affected you and so many others. Sell your tickets to every game to one person or family. Give up your ticket rights. Ask a friend to take over the season tickets until you get back on your feet, and you will. Or sell your tickets to the few Chiefs or Browns fans that came here. All visiting teams except Pittsburgh sell a couple of hundred tickets, generally. In fact, there are several sections in one corner that are usually empty because that's where the visiting team's allotment is.

Some guy wrote me and said I didn't get it, that the Broncos sold all those tickets to brokers. He's such a fool. The Broncos don't own those tickets. They've already been sold to season-ticket holders such as yourself, and the Broncos have no control over what you do with them. I talked with the Broncos' ticket manager on Friday. He said there was not one ticket available.

I know that 20,000 people didn't come from Pittsburgh. I imagine half of those were Steelers fans who live in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, etc. They're like Nebraska fans who buy up tickets at the CU-Nebraska game in Boulder. Difference is, CU doesn't sell out its season tickets. The Broncos do. If you want to take advantage of capitalism, I'm all for you.

But it doesn't say much for the fans who have jobs and have money and sold their tickets. Do you think those 20,000 tickets came from people out of work? I don't think so. I think they came from so-called fans that were more eager to make money than support their team. Fine, but don't complain about rising ticket costs if you're going to turn around and sell them for twice as much.

My friend gave up his tickets and bought a big screen and an easy chair and watches the games from home.

Again, I wish you well and am certain you will find a great job soon. You have a right to sell your tickets. I have a right to offer my honest opinion.

And to all the people who said I don't know since I don't have to buy tickets for the games, that I get a free ticket. Whenever I am not covering a game, I buy tickets just like everyone else. When I am covering a game, it's a job. I'm not a fan, and I don't sit there drinking beer and cheering. The press box is my office. And if it weren't my job, I'd be in the mountains watching the aspen turn.

Do what you want with your tickets, but when the Broncos struggle to win at home, a lot of people should look in their own mirrors."

Bruno is full of shi+. If you can't afford the tickets in May, by all means SELL them - but TO BRONCOS' FANS. Woody never said to NOT sell them - just be mindful of WHO you sell them to.

Many of us have taken it on the chin some financially this year. It is very tempting to sell our tickets to the highest bidder but to me, it's also a matter of principle. I want our team to have home field advantage at HOME games. I can control WHO I sell my tickets to. To ENSURE they go to Broncos' fans, sell to friends and family. If you aren't sure, meet them at the game and make them walk into the stadium with you.

But if you do sell to others and the tickets end up in the hands of opposing fans, you are also running the risk of those fans being reported for "fan misconduct" - is the extra $$$ worth the risk of LOSING YOUR RIGHTS?! Not to me it isn't. Just expect to be the recipient of some local fan wrath in your section at future home games.

Last edited by RMT; 11-12-2009 at 09:45 AM..
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post

Bruno is full of shi+. If you can't afford the tickets in May, by all means SELL them - but TO BRONCOS' FANS. Woody never said to NOT sell them - just be mindful of WHO you sell them to.

Many of us have taken it on the chin some financially this year. It is very tempting to sell our tickets to the highest bidder but to me, it's also a matter of principle. I want our team to have home field advantage at HOME games. I can control WHO I sell my tickets to. To ENSURE they go to Broncos' fans, sell to friends and family. If you aren't sure, meet them at the game and make them walk into the stadium with you.

But if you do sell to others and the tickets end up in the hands of opposing fans, you are also running the risk of those fans being reported for "fan misconduct" - is the extra $$$ worth the risk of LOSING YOUR RIGHTS?! Not to me it isn't. Just expect to be the recipient of some local fan wrath in your section at future home games.
It's just football. The health and well being of your family is far more important. If you are hurting and you can get more money from a Steeler fan than a Bronco fan, then sell it to the highest bidder. How come the Steelers fans are willing to pay more to see their team?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
jmz313
Ring of Famer

I agree with bowtown. highest bidder if it really matters. Fans in the stands DO NOT WON OR LOOSE GAMES! thats just nosense, and only gets brought up after a loss. namely 2 loses to the steelers in recent history. they travel well, spend well, cheer well. Broncos just need to play better and win, and it wont matter to anyone.

Now, i gotta go meet the Skins ticket holdler and get my $500 wiorth of tix for $200 bucks for sunday
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
ak1971
uhhhh

not this **** again...
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:

Just expect to be the recipient of some local fan wrath in your section at future home games.

I'm not in Denver and nor am I a season ticket holder. But if I was and I came back to a game after I sold my tix on Craigslist or whatever and some douche tried to give me **** b/c a Pitt fan ended up in my seats....Let's just say I would laugh out loud and tell them to eff off.

I am a die hard Angels fan and yeah it kind of sucked how many Yankee & Red Sox fans were at the Big A during the playoffs but SFW? It's a free market. Once you own something, you can do whatever the hell you want with it (as long as it's legal).

Anyone who would falsely report 'fan misconduct' on another STH simply because an opposing fan ended up in their seats is a fawking baby and a total d!ck.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

You suck Chris Bruno.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post

I'm not in Denver and nor am I a season ticket holder. But if I was and I came back to a game after I sold my tix on Craigslist or whatever and some douche tried to give me **** b/c a Pitt fan ended up in my seats....Let's just say I would laugh out loud and tell them to eff off.

I am a die hard Angels fan and yeah it kind of sucked how many Yankee & Red Sox fans were at the Big A during the playoffs but SFW? It's a free market. Once you own something, you can do whatever the hell you want with it (as long as it's legal).

Anyone who would falsely report 'fan misconduct' on another STH simply because an opposing fan ended up in their seats is a fawking baby and a total d!ck.
no one said false reporting "misconduct" - but i certainly would be less tolerant.

it's amazing how people choose to define "fan" these days.

Last edited by RMT; 11-12-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Edit: you suck you crybaby Chris Bruno.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

See, this is why Denver fans are a 6. Now some of you are even defending giving up tickets to other teams fans. That is sad. If you can't afford the tickets, give them up. There is a long list of fans that will support this team. You aren't supporting them when the other teams colors are in your seat, period.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
It's just football. The health and well being of your family is far more important. If you are hurting and you can get more money from a Steeler fan than a Bronco fan, then sell it to the highest bidder. How come the Steelers fans are willing to pay more to see their team?
Cuz tickets in their stadium are much more inflated then ours is and they have a much longer waiting list than ours is.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
See, this is why Denver fans are a 6. Now some of you are even defending giving up tickets to other teams fans. That is sad. If you can't afford the tickets, give them up. There is a long list of fans that will support this team. You aren't supporting them when the other teams colors are in your seat, period.
Everyone has a price.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Getting Broncos season tickets should not be about making money. If you can't afford them, stop buying them. Many others that can afford them will show some respect to the team they are a fan of.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:

Exactly..this whole 'better fan than thou' thing is laughable.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
no one said false report - but i certainly would be less tolerant.

it's amazing how people choose to define "fan" these days.
"Fan" has nothing to do with it. Are there people in it strictly for the profit? Sure, but the fact remains is you can't know every situation and therefore have no right to give 'wrath' to anyone.

If my son breaks his arm playing basketball on Saturday morning and I need to dump my tickets quick....I call a buddy or two first but after that I'm going to get rid of them as quickly and conveniently as possible. I'm not going to demand a GD background check to make sure they go to a Bronco fan.

You're also assuming that the out of towner in the seats bought them directly from the STH. If I need to sell my tickets on Friday and someone at work has a friend that's a Bronco fan...I sell them no questions asked. That guy could change his mind on Saturday, sell them to a broker, who has a runner sell them to a Pitt fan walk up on Sunday morning.

BFD...a Pitt fan got to see his favorite team play an away game. Just like I get to do when I go watch Denver play in SD, Oak, SF, SEA. AZ.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
Exactly..this whole 'better fan than thou' thing is laughable.
No what is laughable is you think those that don't care about supporting their team, instead looking to make a profit, are actually fans....
Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Again, it's not like this doesn't happen in reverse.

I went to a Broncos game in Dallas while I lived there (Thanksgiving day). It was practically a Bronco home game.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
no what is laughable is you think those that don't care about supporting their team, instead looking to make a profit, are actually fans....
qft!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
ak1971
uhhhh

cool...my first neg rep!

'it's funny how stuff like this gets the bandwagon season ticketholders all riled up.'

'Traitor! '
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Again, it's not like this doesn't happen in reverse.

I went to a Broncos game in Dallas while I lived there (Thanksgiving day). It was practically a Bronco home game.
I go to away games as well. I go to almost every KC away game. There is a difference if the crowd has a few away fans compared to a lot of them. If I see a lot of away fans, I certainly don't walk away thinking that team has good fans.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Everyone has a price.
That's what it really comes down to. If a person can maximize his profit by seeling to a rival fan then that person is goinig to do so.

Look we all would love to see the seats filled with 90% home team fans, but right now (today) it's not going to happen. Teams can't sellout games, the blackouts are increasing in some markets.

The extra income dollars are just not there anymore for some people.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #21
Williams
Pro Bowler

It's shameful seeing so many opposing fans at Invesco. I agree with Woody here 100%. The Simms matter, on the other hand...
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Bleh. Season tickets represent the right to see a game, not make a profit. A lot of states take measures to crack down on the faux fans. Why Colorado hasnt been smart enough to do the same is a good question to be asked. Perhaps its because the faux fan nonsense that guys like Bruno represent is probably THAT widespread. THAT many "poor me" fans (as inexplicable as it may be...again, if you can pay for the season tickets, dont cry poverty when someone comes down on you for being the faux fan you are) are probably one of the reasons such a crackdown doesnt find momentum.

Some states, dont allow people with credit cards from opposing states to purchase tickets to local games. And in Massachusetts you have a law that basically says season ticket holders cant profiteer from selling their season tickets and they generally enforce this. That Colorado hasnt fallen suit is disgusting.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
I go to away games as well. I go to almost every KC away game. There is a difference if the crowd has a few away fans compared to a lot of them. If I see a lot of away fans, I certainly don't walk away thinking that team has good fans.

Again....It has nothing to do with how good of fans the HOME team have. It's how well the AWAY team fans travel (or how big their transplant or bandwagon base is)

If 20,000 Denver fans wanted tickets to ANY away game bad enough...I guarantee you it would happen.

Newsflash....The: Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Lakers, Celtics, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Penguins, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Cornhuskers, Trojans, Gators et al have gigantic, well healed fan bases in every part of this nation and when they want tickets...they get tickets.

It has NOTHING to do with the home fan base.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #24
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Again....It has nothing to do with how good of fans the HOME team have. It's how well the AWAY team fans travel (or how big their transplant or bandwagon base is)

If 20,000 Denver fans wanted tickets to ANY away game bad enough...I guarantee you it would happen.

Newsflash....The: Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Lakers, Celtics, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Penguins, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Cornhuskers, Trojans, Gators et al have gigantic, well healed fan bases in every part of this nation and when they want tickets...they get tickets.

It has NOTHING to do with the home fan base.
This is nonsense. It has everything to do with the home team fanbase. Theres no way that kind of representation exists without a bunch of Benedict Arnolds profiteering and then crying poverty like Bruno...as if thats really an excuse. If the season ticket holders lived up to being being fans, then opposing fans wouldnt be an issue. All of this nonsense you speak is just a bunch of window dressing and excuse making for people doing whatever the **** they want and calling it something else.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #25
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
This is nonsense. It has everything to do with the home team fanbase. Theres no way that kind of representation exists without a bunch of Benedict Arnolds profiteering and then crying poverty like Bruno...as if thats really an excuse. If the season ticket holders lived up to being being fans, then opposing fans wouldnt be an issue. All of this nonsense you speak is just a bunch of window dressing and excuse making for people doing whatever the **** they want and calling it something else.
So who has the "best" home team fan base in the NFL in this regard in your opinion?