The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Default Paige: Give Chris Simms the start at QB vs. Redskins

Quote:
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

All we are saying is give Simms a chance.

To give themselves a jump-start, the Broncos should give Chris Simms the start against Washington on Sunday.

The last time we saw Simms, in the first two exhibitions, he was completing 16-of-24 passes for 186 yards and two touchdowns, without an interception, and looking sharp, more like a starter than the other quarterback. Then Simms sprained an ankle and hasn't played since.

Change would be good for the Broncos' soul-searching.

Kyle Orton hasn't performed awfully (except for the three interceptions Monday night). Yes, the Broncos still have won six games — but he is what he is — the 18th-best quarterback in the NFL. And the Broncos are a reflection of that number. They are 22nd in scoring (18.8 points per game), just ahead of the Titans, and behind, ahem, the Bears. They are 19th overall in offense, 17th in passing, 18th in rushing.

The Broncos are third overall in defense. Add the 18 and the 3 to get 21, divide by two for 10.5, and that's about where the Broncos realistically rank in the NFL after back-to-back defeats to Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

The Broncos were off to an unbelievable start this season but haven't gotten off to a distinctive start in any game. The field goal at the end of the first drive Monday accounted for their only opening-drive points of the season.

Josh McDaniels was intent on improving the Broncos' missing-link production of a season ago inside the 20-yard line. He has, but the problem is, they aren't making enough visits. The Broncos were in the ruby region zero times against the Steelers and the Bengals and once in the Ravens game. The offense scored three, 12 and seven points in those games.

It has been suggested, wisely, by my columnist colleagues at Postmortem that the Broncos start Correll Buckhalter at running back, which they did against Pittsburgh, and open up the offense, which they didn't do. It doesn't matter who starts at running back, and McDaniels can't unleash the offense with Orton.

McDaniels showed me his "War and Peace"-sized offensive playbook before the season, but he's able to use only a section that's about the size of the pamphlet "Popular Lawyers And Journalists."

He has to try Simms, and what's a more appropriate occasion than after two losses and in a game against the most politically incorrect and football-inept team in America? Washington: First in war, first in peace, last (again) in the NFC East.

When I suggested this move to a rather large cheese at The Post, he said: "Simms hasn't played since early in the 2006 season."

Orton only played three games in 2006-07 after being benched, following 15 starts in 2005, before the Bears went on to the Super Bowl. Simms has started 15 NFL games.

"Simms' spleen was ruptured. What if he gets hurt again?"

Simms can't hurt his spleen again. It was removed.

"The Bucs got rid of Simms."

The Bears got rid of Orton.

"What did Simms ever do when he was a starter?"

He started a postseason game, which is more than Orton has done.

"Yeah, but . . ."

Yeah, but Simms has a stronger arm. Orton's lack of arm strength was revealed twice against Pittsburgh when he tried to make throws off his back foot and couldn't get the ball to open receivers. And, Simms can scramble better than Orton, who can't get outside the rush, can't run the quarterback draw and can't throw back across his body.

"Simms is left-handed."

So were Steve Young, Ken Stabler and Boomer Esiason, who took their teams to Super Bowls.

And Simms looked stronger in training camp than Orton, and better in the exhibition games (until he got hurt), and McDaniels thought so much of Simms he gave him more money to sign here than Orton makes.

McDaniels told me he doesn't care to switch quarterbacks in midgame or midseason, but, then, he had Tom Brady as his quarterback at New England, and who's going to remove him? Last year the Patriots' quarterback was Matt Cassel, and there was no backup. (Name him for 10 points.)

Let's see what Simms has. The Broncos gave a chance to another quarterback whose father had won a Super Bowl. And Brian Griese, the Broncos' radio analyst last Sunday, has played with both Orton and Simms, and knows that Simms got a raw deal at Tampa Bay, and would be the starting quarterback for the Bucs now if they kept him.

Simms can't play any more awfully than Orton on the first drive and in the first quarter at D.C. And if he's terrible, McDaniels can return to Orton at halftime.

There's only one problem with this sensible solution: McDaniels, who traded a quarterback, won't have the inner workings to do it.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13759252
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
To give themselves a jump-start, the Broncos should give Chris Simms the start against Washington on Sunday.
Quote:
Let's see what Simms has. The Broncos gave a chance to another quarterback whose father had won a Super Bowl.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I stopped at "By Woody Paige"
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

this is idiotic..why you want to give Simms a chance when you have Tom as your QB
go_broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Buff, tell the truth. Did you ghost write this article?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

What you mean "we" paleface?"
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Why is this Silly?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

-22nd in the NFL in scoring
-18th in 3rd down conversion % (we were THIRD last yr)
-19th in total yards/game

Orton is THE rate limiting factor in formulating a potent offense.......Simms deserves a chance--but I predict that once we lose to WAS this weekend, Orton will get a chance to save face and beat SD--and when we lose that one--Simms will be given the Turkey day start against the NYG.........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gee - just what I was hoping for. The media generating a "quarterback controversy".

So, the entire offense has 2 bad games against 2 of the best defenses in the league, and we should switch quarterbacks? I'm sure Chris Simms would have eaten the Steelers alive...

outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Why is this Silly?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

-22nd in the NFL in scoring
-18th in 3rd down conversion % (we were THIRD last yr)
-19th in total yards/game

Orton is THE rate limiting factor in formulating a potent offense.......Simms deserves a chance--but I predict that once we lose to WAS this weekend, Orton will get a chance to save face and beat SD--and when we lose that one--Simms will be given the Turkey day start against the NYG.........
Cue the clown music
Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Why not? It worked out well in 2006.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post

Gee - just what I was hoping for. The media generating a "quarterback controversy".

So, the entire offense has 2 bad games against 2 of the best defenses in the league, and we should switch quarterbacks? I'm sure Chris Simms would have eaten the Steelers alive...

Two bad games? We were south of 20pts/gm for the season--our offensive ineptitude is only magnified by two great defenses who held us to 7 & 3 points--and quite honestly--the ravens have NOT been playing great defense this year--then they played us--we made them LOOK great. Orton is a bottom tier starter, ideal backup QB--Is Simms better? Maybe, maybe not--but we do know that Simms has the better arm.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Cue the clown music
All we need now is Josina "tweeting" some insider bull**** about how Marcus Thomas is mad at McDaniels cuz he made him do 10 pushups in practice, and now the team is at the edge of a revolt... Then, the circle back to preseason will be truly complete!
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Cue the clown music
To someone of your 'intelligence'--facts probably do seem as worthy to you as they would be to a clown....go pick another .gif of one of your intellectual equals.......
Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

This really is one of the dumber articles ive read in a while
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Didn't Cassel get BETTER as last season progressed? Wasn't that the argument during the pre-season?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
To someone of your 'intelligence'--facts probably do seem as worthy to you as they would be to a clown....go pick another .gif of one of your intellectual equals.......
No big letters or bold text? You're slipping, old man.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No big letters or bold text? You're slipping, old man.
Next time I come through that Burger King drive thru and tell you no salt on my fries--I MEAN NO SALT. And you'd better get my change correct too dolt.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

for a while, i bought into the theory that we could win any game we played. now, i think it's true that we can win any game, provided that the other team doesn't have a great pass rush. Unless I am unaware of a great QB becoming a free agent next offseason, we are drafting QB and we are drafting high.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #19
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #20
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Next time I come through that Burger King drive thru and tell you no salt on my fries--I MEAN NO SALT. And you'd better get my change correct too dolt.
Sorry bro, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings with the "old man" comment. It'll sting less as time goes on.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

i'm an Orton homer. i say give him 2 more games. If he stinks it up then make the switch.that damn line needs to give hime some time though.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

This is silly. Orton deserves the chance to get right.

Lose to Washington though or have the offense continue with such pathetic performances and then we have to look at the potential of Simms starting.

I'm not a huge fan of Simms but he has twice the arm of Orton.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #23
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Wow.......just...wow...

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Simms can't play any more awfully than Orton on the first drive and in the first quarter at D.C. And if he's terrible, McDaniels can return to Orton at halftime.
This is my favorite line. Wow Woody, how did you never become a head coach? This is genius. Clearly this method works out great. Look at the elite franchise Magini has put together in Cleveland by swapping out QBs every week, and now you've one-upped him. Put in Simms for the first half and see how he does. Give him a little taste. If he sucks, what did you lose... I mean besides the confidence of both your QBs, your coaches and your vets? Great plan! Better yet, let's give Simms a single snap and see how he performs. If he throws it incomplete, we pull him. If he completes it he can stay in for another snap, and we just keep goign like that for the rest of the season! Broncofad7 is on board, full steam ahead!
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #25
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Jesus! We just played two good defenses. One team is the defending SB Champ, and the other lost the AFC title game last year to the eventual SB Champ. Of course there were going to be struggles.

But I understand that Woody needs to sell newspapers.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote