The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Which Guards are scheme diverse?

OK, Ive read a lot about Mike Iupati being mobile and athletic. The guy is 6'5 and 330. If you put him with Clady, it could be magical very formiddable. Ive read someone say though that he's actually not that mobile. IDK.

McDaniels said he wants to run both zbs and man. Lets assume thats true and also that the play types are being affected by Hamiltons injury.

So, who then is the best combination of zone blocking and man blocking?

Would it even be better to draft a tackle and convert them to guard?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

Shane Lauvao of Arizona State
Mitch Petrus of Arkansas
Jon Asamoah of Illinois

These would be the 3 that I would think could be big/athletic enough to do both. Zane Beadles of Utah would also be an option.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27atwater View Post
Shane Lauvao of Arizona State
Mitch Petrus of Arkansas
Jon Asamoah of Illinois

These would be the 3 that I would think could be big/athletic enough to do both. Zane Beadles of Utah would also be an option.
Yeah, I was looking at Petrus and Asamoah too. Asamoah is allegedly a really smart guy. I think Petrus was a converted FB or TE. It wasnt that long ago he was somewhat undersized but now I see that he is up around 315, so hopefully that would also translate into strength.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

You need to add Mike Johnson, ALA, to that list. Also the Pouncey twin that plays center would fit this scheme.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

It five minutes, and not a highlights. Watch oline play (it goes for about 2 minutes)
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
You need to add Mike Johnson, ALA, to that list. Also the Pouncey twin that plays center would fit this scheme.
We're looking at scheme diverse. McDaniels said he wants to run both.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

I think Justin Boren is easily the best interior O-lineman in college. He completely dominates everyone, he has excelled at OC and OG, and Ohio State has him pulling all the time. Against Penn State, he stoned Odrick the entire game, and when Odrick started lining up on the other side from him, they just had him pull every down.

He's the only O-lineman I think has a shot at the first round, though I think he'll end up a high 2nd rounder if he comes out.

After him, Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, and JD Walton are probably in the Late 2nd - early 3rd mix. Out of those guys, I'm not convinced Iupati nor Pouncey have the athleticism to play in McD's scheme. They seem more like NFC East style maulers. I'm high on Walton though and Matt Tennant.

I think Wisniewski and O'Dowd would be interesting mid round selections, but neither are ready to contribute at this time. Wisniewski got dominated by Cameron Heyward at times and showed no ability to push (he needs serious strength), and O'Dowd has been the same way to this point. They are both great technicians though.

I disagree that we need multiple interior lineman. I think Olsen will be ready to replace Hamilton next season, or at least suit up for game days to back up Hochstein. Kuper should still be under our control due to the CBA issue. All we need is an OC. If Wiegmann commits for one more year (I hope not), then we have some time to develop a mid-round guy, if Wiegmann retires and Hamilton is cut (I hope so), than we will need to draft a Justin Boren, JD Walton, or Matt Tennant early in the draft to come in and start. Those three guys have the necessary strength and athleticism to start from Day 1.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I love Justin Boren. One of my favorite players.

There is a kid by the name of Ducasse who is playing at UMass and i've heard some good stuff about him. It's hard to find Umass film though online.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: