The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Two-game slide does not worry Broncos

Quote:
Two-game slide does not worry Broncos

Chargers cut 3-game lead in West to one
Associated Press
Posted: 11/10/2009 11:44:06 PM MST

DENVER -- Josh McDaniels had the Midas touch at the start of the season, his every move paying off as the Denver Broncos shocked the NFL with a 6-0 start.
Then, the first-year head coach started fiddling with his roster during the bye week.

So much for the age-old axiom -- if it`s not broke ...

The Broncos (6-2) have suddenly hit the skids since coming off a break, dropping their second straight with a 28-10 loss to Pittsburgh on Monday. Denver`s rushing attack was nonexistent against the Steelers, Kyle Orton threw three interceptions and a dependable defense wore down over the final quarter.

A once flourishing team is now floundering.

Don`t look now, but the surging San Diego Chargers (5-3) are closing ground in a hurry in the AFC West. Denver`s once 3-game lead has been whittled to one.

"There is no panic here," defensive back Andre` Goodman said. "We just have to get back to the drawing board."

Might more moves be on the horizon?

Before the Broncos lost their first game of the season against Baltimore, McDaniels made his first in-season rostermove by releasing punter Brett Kern, who signed with the Tennessee Titans. Kern`s decent averages have been replaced by 16-year veteran Mitch Berger`s adventures as he`s alternated between shanks and short punts. Berger`s gross average (38.5) ranks at the bottom of the AFC.

Not that McDaniels is fretting over his punter`s inconsistency -- at least not yet.

"We`ll take a look at the film and see if there is anything," McDaniels said after the game Monday. "I know there were a couple of short punts there. I know he did good things tonight, too."

After Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco exploited some shortcomings in the secondary, McDaniels retooled the roster again. The Broncos brought in Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and let go of the younger Jack Williams, a second-year pro who was quickly snatched up on waivers by Detroit.

Although not fully up to speed, Law was thrust into action against Pittsburgh in passing situations. Law spent time helping shadow Hines Ward, who had a pair of 3-yard touchdown receptions.

"Once I knock this rust off, I know I`ll be able to help the team and hopefully be a bigger factor," said Law, who came out of "semi-retirement" to join the squad. "We just didn`t play well in the second half as a team, and they did."

Part of that had to do with Ben Roethlisberger finding his rhythm. Bottled up much of the first half, Big Ben caught fire in the second, throwing three touchdown passes to turn a close contest into a rout.

The Steelers went to a no-huddle look in the second half, catching the Broncos off guard.

"We really didn`t have an answer for them," linebacker Andra Davis explained.

That`s perplexing because halftime adjustments were the Broncos` forte, something they could always count on to bail them out. Denver had a 76-10 scoring differential during its fast 6-0 start.

Not so lately.

The Broncos have been outscored 45-14 in the second halves of their last two games.

Through six weeks, the Broncos offense had a methodical, no-mistake approach that served them well. Orton was the game manager, counted on to keep things running efficiently.

But like Baltimore the week before, the Steelers applied plenty of pressure on Orton and forced him to make quick decisions. Orton threw three interceptions against Pittsburgh after allowing just one -- to New England`s Randy Moss at the end of a half -- in the first seven games.

Have the Ravens and Steelers exposed Denver`s deficiencies, possibly even provided a blueprint for the rest of the league to follow?

"They are two good defenses," Orton said. "When you play those guys, the margin for error is very small ... As a quarterback, I put it on myself. It is my offense, and I will get it back on track."

As for the Broncos` missing swagger, Davis has a pretty good idea on how to recapture it.

"Win," he said. "Simple as that."

http://www.dailycamera.com/broncos-n...399?source=rss

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

No reason to panic now with some winnable games coming up.

Last edited by dbfan4life; 11-11-2009 at 08:47 AM..
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
no reason to panick now with some winnable games coming up.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Wow, why is everyone throwing Ty Law under the bus? For example, i dont even think he was in the game on Hines Ward's first TD. If i recall, Barrett was covering him. From my memory, Ty Law played fine. Champ Bailey on the other hand got lit up, though he's been great all season so i dont expect that to be a trend.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Wow, why is everyone throwing Ty Law under the bus? For example, i dont even think he was in the game on Hines Ward's first TD. If i recall, Barrett was covering him. From my memory, Ty Law played fine. Champ Bailey on the other hand got lit up, though he's been great all season so i dont expect that to be a trend.
ty law played well, especially considering he probably didnt even really practice with the team, most likely only went through the walk through.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I thought Law did okay for being new.

He knows all the tricks, and should get better as he becomes more familiar and rounds himself into shape.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Orton View Post
As a quarterback, I put it on myself. It is my offense, and I will get it back on track."
can anyone imagine Cutler saying something like that?

the problem isn't Orton. too many are saying it is because he can't throw a deep ball that we lost these last 2 games. give me a break with that crap. Cutler couldn't have thrown a catchable deep ball the last 2 games

arm strength doesn't matter if there is no threat of a running game, because the interior line can't open any running lanes, or when the defense is crashing the pocket almost the instant the ball is snapped.

Orton performed how it could be expected under the situations he was in.

and now with some very winnable games coming up, people need to relax, remember we are 6-2 right now, and be happy and remember that many didn't think this team could win 6 games all year.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
bombay
Ring of Famer

They shouldn't be looking back. It does no good. It's up to the coaches to put together a winning game plan now, partially based on what's happened in the past two games.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

The title of the article is stupid.

Calling 2 losses a 'slide' is about as dumb as celebrating a 2 win 'streak'.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

If we end up 8-8 we end up 8-8 this team has huge holes to upgrade I'm not overly concerned about what happens the rest of the year. I would like seeing the O get more efficient and score more and run alot better the rest of the way but, never expected SB team in 09.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Muddled
Seasoned Veteran

passing through

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Foxworth

What really annoys me is noone is talking about the schedule now we've played it, I mean 6 of 8 games have been against generally acknowledged contenders, meaning we've beaten 4 contenders (Bengals, Cowboys, Pats and ugh Chargers), look at any other schedule, especially Indy's (there most impressive win just might be that squeaker against Houston) and you'll struggle to find just one quality win.

If we take care of business sunday, we're still very much ahead of where anyone even dreamt we'd be, that playing a schedule brutal beyond belief, especially considering you can say that even with the 4 Raiders/Chiefs games
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
No reason to panic now with some winnable games coming up.
Very true. I think the Broncs have a very good chance to be sitting at 10-2 when they roll into Indy.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
If we end up 8-8 we end up 8-8 this team has huge holes to upgrade I'm not overly concerned about what happens the rest of the year. I would like seeing the O get more efficient and score more and run alot better the rest of the way but, never expected SB team in 09.
Because of the start, 8-8 would be a bit of a let-down. But, I agree overall. I think we all can agree that this is not a SB championship team just yet. So, more important than necessarily how many more games we win... is how we perform, how the running game improves, what kind of intensity we play with, etc.

As I said in the preseason, the goal has to be to see continued improvement and a real infrastructure for winning put in place. That doesn't happen overnight. When you try to do those things overnight, you wind up with Jay Cutler and Boss Bailey.

Done correctly, this will be a deliberate process that instead of having one flash in the pan 9-7 playoff appearance... will lead to a yearly, regular contender.

Hey, I hope we win out... I'll root for us to win out, but I'm already proud of this team and just want the improvement to continue.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Because of the start, 8-8 would be a bit of a let-down. But, I agree overall. I think we all can agree that this is not a SB championship team just yet. So, more important than necessarily how many more games we win... is how we perform, how the running game improves, what kind of intensity we play with, etc.

As I said in the preseason, the goal has to be to see continued improvement and a real infrastructure for winning put in place. That doesn't happen overnight. When you try to do those things overnight, you wind up with Jay Cutler and Boss Bailey.

Done correctly, this will be a deliberate process that instead of having one flash in the pan 9-7 playoff appearance... will lead to a yearly, regular contender.

Hey, I hope we win out... I'll root for us to win out, but I'm already proud of this team and just want the improvement to continue.
QFT. Very well said. The real question is, does McD think that Orton the QOT Present and Future, or do we use a first or second round draft pick in the QB rich class of this upcoming draft?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Wow! Alot of good reasonable comments.

I'm not happy with the last two losses but I also enjoyed the competive spirit the Broncos showed against Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Clearly two established veteran teams taking it to an upcoming and building team.

Go Bronos!
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm worried ... we look pretty bad these past two weeks. Very bad actually.

It's like the Bye week put a whammy on us.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

WDallas 6-2
WNew England 6-2
WCincinnati 6-2
WSan Diego 5-3

That's nothing to sneeze at.....
Old 11-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddled View Post
What really annoys me is noone is talking about the schedule now we've played it, I mean 6 of 8 games have been against generally acknowledged contenders, meaning we've beaten 4 contenders (Bengals, Cowboys, Pats and ugh Chargers), look at any other schedule, especially Indy's (there most impressive win just might be that squeaker against Houston) and you'll struggle to find just one quality win.
You are absolutely correct. I'd like to see how any team would fair playing the teams we have already (Bengals, Pats, Chargers, Cowboys, Steelers and Ravens). I mean, good god. Let's put things into perspective here. Even the Colts would have lost 2 if not 3 or 4 playing those 6 teams. You can be a very good team but when you constantly play other great teams, some days the other team is just going to play better then you.

Way ahead of schedule for a total rebuild.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #19
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Agreed. Right now the Offense is the weakest link and subject to wear down the defense as the season goes on b/c the O produces too many 3 downs and punt, thus making the Defense go back out on the field w/o getting rest. By the 4th qtr the defense is winded and worn down and thats when teams drop 14-20 points on Denver. Once we get the Offense more consistent and so long as the Defense doesn't regress and continues to improve the Broncos will be ready for prime time. I'm just not sure the offense is ready just yet for the remainder of the season.

Last edited by rastaman; 11-14-2009 at 05:33 AM..
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #20
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
WDallas 6-2
WNew England 6-2
WCincinnati 6-2
WSan Diego 5-3

...not to mention the Ravens and Steelers defenses have made numerous QB's much more talented than ours look like crapola. We're 6-2 with 4 wins against pretty good teams and two losses to pretty good teams...of which one are the reigning NFL champions.

The news media is always trying to find something to stir up controversy.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #21
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #22
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
QFT. Very well said. The real question is, does McD think that Orton the QOT Present and Future, or do we use a first or second round draft pick in the QB rich class of this upcoming draft?
we have 2 other QBs on the roster. why draft another one in the 1st round you have to pay huge $$$ to? i put the chances of the Broncos drafting another QB in an early round in 2010 at about 0.1%. unless Orton quits to play racquetball or Simms needs both kidneys replaced, we have our 3 QBs that we'll go into camp with next season. now, if McD sees some "diamond in the rough" QB he thinks got overlooked, he might waste a late round pick on him or sign him to a UFA contract. that's possible. but i don't think we're spending any 1st or 2nd round picks on this position.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #23
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
WDallas 6-2
WNew England 6-2
WCincinnati 6-2
WSan Diego 5-3

LBaltimore 4-4

that's the one loss that bothers me. we're better than they are. and their fans are knuckledragging mouth breathers. i just don't like losing to them.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #24
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
I thought Law did okay for being new.

He knows all the tricks, and should get better as he becomes more familiar and rounds himself into shape.
I agree he will be alright.
It really is not his fault we let Jack Williams go. JW was a solid CB, and showed some promise. I hate to see him go while we keep somebody like LaMont Jordan instead. That's f'd-up.
Same dela with Kerns, to sign Berger and release Kerns was a stupid move.
Like the article points out, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

No Berger no Law, will impact this team the most as it will be to insist on keeping Orton as our QB. Bank on it!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #25
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Well if MCD doesn't do a better job at game planning and play calling this slide could continue so this game vs the skins is a perfect time to address those issues. It seems MCD has had his head up his ass since the ravens game.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote