The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If Bradford or Clausen are available with or #1--do we draft one of them?
We draft Sam Bradford is he's there 23 38.98%
We draft Jimmy Clausen if he's there 14 23.73%
Go die in a fire!--ORTON IS THE ANSWER! 7 11.86%
We already have our QBOTF in Brandstater 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Default Will we draft a QB if Bradford or Clausen are available with our 1st rounder?

JAYC going 6-10 and us picking around 12-15 is a VERY real possibility for us this year--IF Bradford or Jimmy Clausen are available when we pick---will we draft one of them or pass?

Last edited by broncofan7; 11-10-2009 at 06:16 AM..
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Is anyone 100% certain either is better than Brandstater? Im not trying to overhype Brandstater but he has shown promise the times we have seen him. He didnt play at a powerhouse football school, which actually probably works in his favor. Just look at what happened with Green Bay and Brohm. Flynn was actually more impressive than Brohm, who they used a 2nd on.

This actually looks like a decent year for QB prospects in the 2nd or 3rd round area even though Brandstater may eliminate the need to take one high.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I would take Clausen in a heartbeat. He has been playing QB better than anybody in the NCAA. ND runs a Patriot style offense, so Josh should like that.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanesaw View Post
I would take Clausen in a heartbeat. He has been playing QB better than anybody in the NCAA. ND runs a Patriot style offense, so Josh should like that.
That is my choice as well--I hated that guy when he arrived on campus in his HUMMER limosine...but he has played VERY well this year--and he can make ALL of the throws---is fairly mobile and has GREAT velocity.......
Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I'd have to watch a bit more on Clausen. McCoy could be a possibility in the 2nd round as well. His athleticsm is something we are sorely lacking right now. The ability to escape a sack or two per game would be nice.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
meangene
Ring of Famer

Clausen is one of the most accurate passers I have seen and a GREAT deep ball thrower. If he has time, it is almost a given that he will complete the pass. Also, even though he has terrific receivers, his offensive line is not a great pass blocking line. He stands in the pocket and takes the hit to deliver the ball. He also does a good job of avoiding sacks and taking care of the football. Great leader and tough as nails.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Clausen is one of the biggest, sniveling punks I've ever seen on a football field. He'd be worse than Phillip Rivers. Fortunately, I can depend on McD to do the right thing and build the lines first.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I think people are really starting to see why Clausen was the #1 rated QB prospect out of highschool a few years back. I like the size of Bradford, but he needs to bulk up to take the NFL pounding. I'd probably lean towards Clausen, but I think McDaniels will have something else in mind.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

I think Clausen will end up being a good NFL QB. Bradford is one hit away from an annual IR trip, and the other QBs in the draft are all projects, which we already have. I doubt we go QB. Hopefully we can get an elite interior Olineman or a Mt. Cody or Eric Berry. But if we do go QB, I wanna get Clausen.

And no McCoy. That is a noodle arm.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Clausen maybe, but a big no to Bradford and especially McCoy, I just think those 2 will bust out

that said, stick with Tommy B please
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

McCoy will be a star.

He has Joe Montana written all over hiim.

Last edited by watermock; 11-10-2009 at 07:11 AM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
McCoy will be a star.

He has Joe Montana written all over hiim.
Agreed. By the way, did Alphonso Smith play last night? We traded our 2010 #1 for this guy? What an epic disappointment (that we don't have 2 #1's in what some say could be the deepest draft of all time).
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
Agreed. By the way, did Alphonso Smith play last night? We traded our 2010 #1 for this guy? What an epic disappointment (that we don't have 2 #1's in what some say could be the deepest draft of all time).
Can you give the guy a few years before you call him an EPIC disappointment...geezz slow down
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #14
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

give me Clausen!!!!!!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I think the Broncos take Clausen because he plays in a offence just like Denver runs. I think McDaniels might of even leaned the Offence from Weiss.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

pass on Bradford...he's a huge project, and I don't feel like waiting three years..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Based on what i saw, Brandstater will be a great QB..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanesaw View Post
Why would he not like Brandstater?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I doubt we will have the chance to get the best QB available.The teams that are now in contention to draft earlier than us have QB issues: the Rams, Redskins, 49ers, Titans, Cleveland, Raiders, Dolphins, Browns.Notice that I said, they have QB issues, not that they necessarily need a QB, but it's close....
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Why would he not like Brandstater?
In two weeks we will be 6-4, exclusively due to our poor offensive play

McD will change to Simms then. If we do not begin to play well on offense after Simms comes in--we may very well get our chance to see Tom B play this season---I liked what he did in the pre-season--but I think that Clausen can be DYNAMIC--I am not so sure about Tom B being more than a steady QB...........
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
In two weeks we will be 6-4, exclusively due to our poor offensive play

McD will change to Simms then. If we do not begin to play well on offense after Simms comes in--we may very well get our chance to see Tom B play this season---I liked what he did in the pre-season--but I think that Clausen can be DYNAMIC--I am not so sure about Tom B being more than a steady QB...........
What makes you so confident Clausen will be dynamic and not Brandstater? Furthermore, what makes you so confident Clausen will be "dynamic" considering its taken him two years to really come around? If it takes him 2 years to get up to speed with the college game, what makes you think there wont be a pronounced learning curve in the pros?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #22
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
I doubt we will have the chance to get the best QB available.The teams that are now in contention to draft earlier than us have QB issues: the Rams, Redskins, 49ers, Titans, Cleveland, Raiders, Dolphins, Browns.Notice that I said, they have QB issues, not that they necessarily need a QB, but it's close....
The Niners won't be drafting before us(Chicago's pick)--maybe not the Dolphins either--but the others very well could be........I hope that Clausen falls.....
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #23
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
What makes you so confident Clausen will be dynamic and not Brandstater? Furthermore, what makes you so confident Clausen will be "dynamic" considering its taken him two years to really come around? If it takes him 2 years to get up to speed with the college game, what makes you think there wont be a pronounced learning curve in the pros?
Clausen began to come on late last year.(minus that USC debacle) I'm sure that you have seen your fair share of ND games this year--he takes games OVER with his passing.......and has a rather dramatic flare for come backs.....

I have seen Tom B play--albeit in limited pre-season action--but I just don't think that if he had 'IT'--that McD wouldn't have already named Tom as the backup........It's a complete projection--just a hunch--nothing more--I just think that Clausen has a better pedigree for what that's worth........
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #24
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

We can't count on Brandstater yet. He hasn't done anything outside of a preseason game. What Denver needs is some talented young arms to come in and compete for the job, so yes, i'm definitely in favor of adding a young QB through the draft.

The draft is deeper than usual this year at the position so picking around 15 should land us somebody.

Clausen has a hose on his arm. He's being well-versed in a pro type offense in Notre Dame and he's gotten better every year he's played. He's having a great season this year despite ND's troubles. That being said, he'll be a top 5 draft pick for Washington, St. Louis or whomever is draft up there.

Next most hyped QB's will be Jake Locker, Colt McCoy, and Sam Bradford.

Locker is highly athletic but erratic at this point with his passing. He's a guy who is going to have to sit for a season or two.

McCoy seems like a winner but you can definitely tell the arm strength isn't that great, especially on throws 15-30 yds down the field. His athletic ability is good.

Bradford is a statue in the pocket. He's great at reading defenses, has good arm strength but we've never really seen him play with any heat in his face until this season and he's gone down twice with injuries. I'm leery of taking a guy with a busted shoulder.

Here's the list of who we could be looking at:

2010 Class:

1. Colt McCoy
2. Tim Tebow
3. Tony Pike
4. Dan LeFavour
5. Jarrett Brown
6. John Skellton
7. Tim Hiller
8. Zac Robinson
9. Max Hall
10. Mike Kafka
11. Ryan Perrileaux
12. Jonathan Crompton

2011 Class:

1. Sam Bradford *declared*
2. Jimmy Clausen
3. Jake Locker
4. Jevan Snead
5. Christian Ponder
6. Case Keenum
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Has it occurred to anybody that if, and that's a big if, McD goes after a QB, it won't be in the first, second, or even third round. Probably more like the fifth. At least, that's if the NE paradigm holds up. More likely, he looks around for available vets that he thinks would play better for him than where they are playing.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote