The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Belichick's Wildcat commentary/analysis

I can't find the original audio from their press conferences over at patriots.com (not as good as denverbroncos.com, IMO), but there's a tranny from ESPN's AFC East blogger:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...ka-the-wildcat

Quote:

Belichick dissects Williams, aka the Wildcat

November 5, 2009 5:18 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has been asked about the Wildcat offense all week.

At his news conference Thursday, he gave one of the most insightful breakdowns I've heard about the Wildcat -- not the Miami Dolphins' fascinating offensive formation, but the player who handles the position the Wildcat is named after.

Ricky Williams is the Wildcat.

Many believe Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown is the Wildcat because he starts every play by taking the direct snap, but it's actually the man who sprints in motion and crosses in front of Brown right after the ball is hiked.

Belichick gave his take on what Williams' speedy motion means for defenses.

"They run their regular sweep blocking," Belichick said. "It hits a little bit quicker. If you're not wide enough, then Ricky gets out there on that flat, and if you get out there wide, then it opens up the inside runs for Ronnie after he fakes it.

"They kind of complement those two plays and make them look the same. ... When you are defending one it's kind of hard to defend the other, or you're a little lighter in one or the other. If you try to play them both equally, I'm not sure if youíre good enough at either spot."

Belichick explained how you can tell that Brown isn't making a read on whether to give a full-speed Williams the ball or keep it himself, that the run must be predetermined based on the blocking schemes that unfold.

Brown "has other plays where he reads it, but I donít think he reads it on that play," Belichick said. "I donít think they read that because the blockingís different. In other words, when they hand it to Ricky, then everybodyís running out there to try stretch and get the edge.

"When they fake it to him, then they all block down, block back or run the counter. So the blocking is totally different. So the action is the same, but it's two different plays."

Belichick also discussed the speed at which Williams takes the ball while sprinting in front of Brown. The play isn't always destined for the outside because Williams has the ability to go against the grain and bounce off a would-be tackler or two.

"It doesn't always go way outside to the sideline," Belichick said. "If the guy runs up the field, he will dip it inside and still run back out there. It's got two entry points really. If they hook the edge, then he just runs around the edge. If the guy on the edge runs up field, then he cuts in. But then he tries to dip back out away from the inside linebackers and stuff like that.

"Like a lot of running plays, there is kind of more than one option. Most plays hit at a certain point and then they cut back. You want to have a couple entry points on the play, or it's all or nothing."
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Typical Belichick ball washing. The Pats are going to dismantle them on Sunday.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

My head hurts.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Is the Wildcat Dead?

HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Typical Belichick ball washing. The Pats are going to dismantle them on Sunday.
I don't know about that. This is no longer your daddy's Patriots.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
......but there's a tranny from ESPN's AFC East blogger:
Wait, what?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #7