The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default Where'd the Wild Horses go?

So against NE we had our wild cat-like formation, with Orton in motion... and it was actually effective. However, we didn't pull it out in SD or Balt. Where did it go?

I said to myself several times in that Baltimore game that I thought that the Wild Horses formation might create a great benefit for a strugling O-line by confusing or spreading out the D. But, maybe with a struggling O-line such a formation can have more chance of failure.

So what do you think? Where'd it go and when will it come back?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I was thinking going into the game last Sunday they would break it out to keep the Ravens off balance and I think they should have, if anything to keep them honest and guessing instead of playing tee ball with Orton
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Meck77

I kept saying the same thing during the Ravens game. Not even one attempt to mix it up. With our Oline getting smashed in like a PBR can you'd think he would have tried it.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I thought the first thing I would see in response would be: "Thats stupid, our O-line couldn't hold up and wild horses would've failed."

I wish we had tried it... really tried anything to get the ball really moving against B-more. I was a little disappointed that Knowshon wasn't given the rock more than 10 times, he was getting decent yardage it seemed. Out of the wild horses it could've been even better yardage.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

McDaniels out coached himself. He knows it. We are gonna come out strong against Pitt!
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

I think we're a playoff team. And, if I were a coach, I think the smart thing to do would be to keep an ace in the hole that you don't reveal until the playoffs so teams don't game plan for it.

Now, I know we already showed a little bit of it but that was just the test, and it worked, and it got little fanfare because, although it consistently got us positive yardage, there were really no highlight plays out of that formation. So, it's still a bit of a secret.

I mean just think if we wait until the playoffs to bust this out and keep all those defenses in the wrong formation each play. If we did that every week teams would have a game plan to combat it by playoff time.

Just my two cents.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

i agree with crowe - i don't think we've seen the full scale of the Broncos' offense yet ... i expect we'll see things on Monday we haven't seen all season and some we have.

1. wild horse
2. no huddle
3. a reverse or two, especially against an aggressive defense like the steelers who are hurting a bit on the dline
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Good post. I actually forgot about it until you brought it up!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

I think wild horses will be more effective at home.

It is an audible heavy approach. Trying it away with all the crowd noise means there is a higher possibility of miscommunication and things going wrong....
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I don't think we will use the wild horse against the Steelers, the run D is much better than their pass D so there is no reason to show them run first formations since that plays right into their strength.

I do agree that the no huddle might see some play, but I think we will see a LOT of shotgun snaps and spread offense in this game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see delayed handoffs, bootlegs and such things to keep the Steelers off kilter on defense. It is definitely going to be key to keep the Steelers from getting too aggressive on D so Orton has time to set up and deliver.

We have had a few reverses and end arounds this season and I wouldn't be surprised to see another one against the Steelers, but if I had to say anything look for a flea-flicker or something really exotic like that.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm not so sure that the Wild Horses formation would have given us favorable match-ups against the Baltimore defense.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm not so sure that the Wild Horses formation would have given us favorable match-ups against the Baltimore defense.
it's just something else the defense has to think about....the broncos didn't run it on every play and motioned out of it at times against the pats.

the theory of not running it on the road makes sense (crowd noise)..IMO the broncos offense played not to lose against the ravens
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't think it is a formation you can use a lot. It seems pretty easy to game plan for once you know it is there. If Orton stays out wide, there is only so much we can do. It also won't spread the defense out at all. If he moves back under center, he is back to one of our basic formations. It could be used to catch a defense off guard or try confusing them but not when your offense has been getting run over all game. Seeing just a RB in the backfield would have been a dream come true for the Ravens.

Last edited by jhns; 11-05-2009 at 10:40 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
McDaniels out coached himself. He knows it. We are gonna come out strong against Pitt!
yep! i said it sunday. 99% of the loss against the Ravens is on the coaching staff. 1% on the players. bad preparation. bad gameplan. bad playcalling. bad or no adjustments.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

WildHorses wouldn't have worked well against the Raven's nor will it work agains the Steelers. I expect lots of screens, reverses, spread shotgun formations this Monday.

Middle of the field is tough against the steelers.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
yep! i said it sunday. 99% of the loss against the Ravens is on the coaching staff. 1% on the players. bad preparation. bad gameplan. bad playcalling. bad or no adjustments.
I agree....but all of that 1% is Ben Hamilton
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
kdissette
Pro Bowler

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

i think usinig that formation against a 3-4 could be difficult if the LBs have spead and dont fall for fakes.....veterans stand a better chance against the confusion....BAL probably knows better I wouldnt doubt us tryin it on Mon but not using it aggressively unless we have great success at it
kdissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
i agree with crowe - i don't think we've seen the full scale of the Broncos' offense yet ... i expect we'll see things on Monday we haven't seen all season and some we have.

1. wild horse
2. no huddle
3. a reverse or two, especially against an aggressive defense like the steelers who are hurting a bit on the dline
4. Moving pocket ie roll outs and Bootlegs.

Any of the about would have changed our outcome in Baltimore and making Pitts thin depth at line etc run around wll only help us!

Last edited by Bronco Warrior; 11-05-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

yaaaaaa that would have saved the day for sure...
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
4. Moving pocket ie roll outs and Bootlegs.

Any of the about would have changed our outcome in Baltimore and making Pitts thin depth at line etc run around wll only help us!
i doubt that would have changed the outcome but if i'm the Broncos and i have some "change-ups" up my sleeve, i'm not about to reveal them in baltimore with pittsburgh on the horizon.

monday's game is a HUGE tiebreaker game. if the Broncos win they will have tiebreaker advantages with the steelers, bengals, and patriots in the playoffs.

Last edited by RMT; 11-05-2009 at 01:12 PM..
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #21
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
i doubt that would have changed the outcome but if i'm the Broncos and i have some "change-ups" up my sleeve, i'm not about to reveal them in baltimore with pittsburgh on the horizon.

monday's game is a HUGE tiebreaker game. if the Broncos win the will have tiebreaker advantages with the steelers, bengals, and patriots in the playoffs.
Maybe but If you can't pull out the bag of tricks one week and then have more for next week you really aren't much of a offensive genius Rollouts and misdirections aren't more than basis stuff..its how you keep agressive defensives honest!
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #22
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Orton is not as mobile or accurate on the run as our last couple QB's so I doubt you will see a ton of bootlegs and role outs. Maybe sprinkled in here and there, but otherwise, not so much.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #23
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
Maybe but If you can't pull out the bag of tricks one week and then have more for next week you really aren't much of a offensive genius Rollouts and misdirections aren't more than basis stuff..its how you keep agressive defensives honest!
Yea, it's probably fair to make a career judgment on McDaniels based on one game.

I'm sure he never thought about roll-outs or Wild Horses at any point in that game.

In fact, I'm even more sure that he thought it might work, and intentionally chose not to do it.

In fact, you should get in touch with him and set him straight. Of course, we had a lot of people calling him an idiot during the off-season that are singing a different tune, now. But, I'm sure you're right... and clearly have a better grip on NFL offenses than he does. Call the front office.

Yea, great coaches never lose. McD should win 100% of his games or he's pretty much a joke.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #24
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

It was probably just pulled out as a joke on Bellicheck.

I'd be surprised if we ever see it again.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #25
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

LMAO I love all the message board coaches...thinking they could have come up with a better gameplan to beat the Ravens.

Why would Bowlen hire Josh McDaniels when he could have hired Bronco Warrior. buahahahhaha hilarious.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote