The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas
Default Broncos coach McDaniels says blame for 1st loss starts with man in the mirror

Broncos coach McDaniels says blame for 1st loss starts with man in the mirror
By Arnie Stapleton (CP) 2 hours ago
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Now, that's how most of their fans feared the Denver Broncos would play this season: dominated on defence, overpowered on offence, squelched on special teams.
It took two months for it to happen.
So rookie coach Josh McDaniels has some fixing to do as the Broncos (6-1) try to bounce back from their beatdown in Baltimore, and they'll have to do it without one of their best offensive linemen.
McDaniels said right tackle Ryan Harris won't play against Pittsburgh next week after sustaining a toe injury in the Broncos' 30-7 loss at Baltimore.
Harris, a third-year pro from Notre Dame, has started 22 consecutive games for one of the league's best offensive lines. He was replaced in the first half Sunday by second-year pro Tyler Polumbus, who is in line to make his first NFL start against the Steelers next Monday night.
Polumbus, an undrafted second-year pro from the University of Colorado, also spelled Harris in Week 3 when he went out with a shoulder injury in the second half against Oakland.
"Tyler went in and did a decent job, hung in there. Again, they've got some really good pass-rushers off the edge. He was matched up on (Ravens linebacker Terrell) Suggs on more than a few plays and handled the bull rush and speed rushers and those kinds of things," McDaniels said.
"But Tyler's been in this system as long as anybody else has this year, so he's familiar with what we're doing. We always give him plenty of reps in practice. He handled himself well in the pre-season. We'll expect him to go in there and play well."
And he expects the rest of the Broncos to play a whole lot better than in Baltimore, where they were outscored 24-7 after halftime, gave up a touchdown on special teams for the second straight week, and couldn't move the ball much, resulting in eight punts for newly signed Mitch Berger.
"You always hear players say, 'We'll have to look at the film,' but most of us know where we messed up," safety Brian Dawkins said. "Now, we just go back to practice and work on correcting our mistakes. I've lost games before. Everyone on this team has lost before. The goal is to learn from this game and move forward."
McDaniels pointed the finger of blame at everybody, from coaches to players - starting with the man in the mirror.
"They were coached better, played better, more physical, played faster basically in every area of the game. And we certainly didn't do nearly enough in any phase to win the game," McDaniels said.
McDaniels was noticeably subdued Monday following the first loss of his head coaching career.
"I think we always learn things that we need to do better no matter if we win or lose," he said. "... I think that obviously losing a game really makes the mistakes that much more glaring and the need to fix things more urgent."
Slow starters all season, the Broncos felt pretty good about themselves trailing just 6-0 at halftime. After all, they had outscored their opponents 76-10 after the break.
But Lardarius Webb returned the second-half kickoff for a touchdown and after that, the Broncos did little right and nothing well.
"Our plan didn't come together as we thought it would," McDaniels said.
Even with more fast, physical defences on the horizon, McDaniels said he won't be tempted to change his offensive approach, which has been described by outsiders as only slightly less conservative than Fox commentator Sean Hannity.
"Nope, I mean I've game-planned a lot of years against a lot of good defences and we need to have a good plan each week that certainly gives your team the best chance to win, and then we need to get our players to execute that plan ... better," McDaniels said.
"If we have a good plan and we execute it, then we win. And if we have a bad plan or we don't execute a good one - it doesn't really make any difference - the other team's going to usually come out with an advantage."
So, was the blowout in Baltimore a case of an inadequate game plan or poor execution?
"It's both," McDaniels said.
The more pertinent questions are whether the Ravens exposed the Broncos' warts and provided a blueprint on how to defeat Denver and its brash young coach. Other teams will watch the film and gather clues, so McDaniels knows the mistakes have to be fixed fast.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...iXDKDbAbf2aUWw
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

I think TJ is a ghost writer for this Canadian rag...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
The goal is to learn from this game and move forward.

Exactly the broncos pooped the bed for sure but use it as a learning experience and move on and worry about monday night, iam pretty excited to see how the team responds...
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

I guess hes gonna make a change for once in his life, its gonna feel real good and make a difference, hes gonna make it right
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think TJ is a ghost writer for this Canadian rag...
The Canadian Press is the Canadian version of AP. Not really a "rag".
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

do you know where the term 'rag' comes from relative to news print.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
do you know where the term 'rag' comes from relative to news print.
And here I thought it was a derogatory term. Oops.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
I guess hes gonna make a change for once in his life, its gonna feel real good and make a difference, hes gonna make it right
sham on he- heeee
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I am asking him to change his ways.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
dominated on defense
Eh? Did this guy watch the game?
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Exactly the broncos pooped the bed for sure but use it as a learning experience and move on and worry about monday night, iam pretty excited to see how the team responds...
that is one thing i am no longer worried about with this team. i am not worried about a snowball effect that sees the team crash and burn. Guys like Dawkins, Bailey, Holliday, Orton, Stokley and Graham aren't going to allow guys to half ass it this week. they are going to make sure that everyone is taking every snap in practice this week serious and pay attention to film study. Plus the coaching, no way in hell does Nolan sit back and watch, he is going to pace and tear guys new a-holes, and McDaniels is going to learn from his own mistakes.

if i were a Steelers player, i would be worried going into this game.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #13
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipso View Post

This place is starting to feel like reality TV...but I'm holding on.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote