The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Official Denver Broncos @ Baltimore Ravens Game Thread 11.01.09

Denver Broncos (6-0) 1st AFC WEST

VS.

Baltimore Ravens (3-3) 3rd AFC North

Game Time: 11:00 AM MST
Forecast at Kickoff:Mostly Sunny|57 °F
TV Broadcast: CBS| Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf
Radio broadcast: 850 KOA

Watch the Denver Broncos Online
NFL Scores
ESPN NFL Scoreboard
CBS Sportsline NFL Scoreboard
Broncos Team Home Page
Fox Sports Game Trax
NFL.com Game Center
Broncos Roster Depth Chart

Orange Mane
BroncoTalk
Mile High Report
Denver Post
Rocky Mountain News
DenverBroncos.com Top Stories
CBS 4 Denver
ABC 7 Denver
Fox 11/31 Denver
NBC 9 Denver

QUICKLY:

* Denver is 6-0 for the first time since 1998, and its six-game winning streak is the club’s longest since 2000 (6 games).
* Head Coach Josh McDaniels is the fifth rookie coach in the Super Bowl era (since 1966) to begin his coaching career with a 6-0 record.
* The Broncos have been one of the NFL’s best teams in the second half/overtime this year, outscoring opponents by a 76-10 margin.
* Denver owns the NFL’s fourth-best record (15-5 / .750) following the bye week since it was introduced by the league in 1990.

OFFENSE:

* QB Kyle Orton is 9-1 in his previous 10 starts dating back to last year and ranks third among active quarterbacks in career winning percentage (.692 / 27-12). He leads the NFL in touchdown-to-interception ratio (9-to-1), lowest interception percentage (0.5%) and fourth-quarter passer rating (142.1).
* RBs Correll Buckhalter (3rd, 4.3%) and Knowshon Moreno (5th, 6.1%) both rank among the NFL’s top five players in avoiding rushes for negative yardage. As a team, Denver leads the league in lowest percentage of rushes going for negative yardage (4.4% / 8-of-181 / excludes kneeldowns).

DEFENSE:

* Coached by long-time NFL defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, the Broncos lead the NFL in scoring defense (11.0) and third-down percentage (26.9%) while ranking second in the league in yards per game allowed (262.5 ypg.) and yards per play allowed (4.4).
* OLB/DE Elvis Dumervil leads the NFL with 10 sacks. He tied as the second-fastest player (6 games) to reach 10 sacks since they became an official statistic in 1982 (fastest since Michael Strahan, NYG, in 2001, 6 gms.).

SPECIAL TEAMS:

* WR Eddie Royal became only the 11th player in NFL history to score a touchdown on a kickoff (93 yds.) and a punt return (71 yds.) in the same game at San Diego on Oct. 19. He joins Cleveland’s Joshua Cribbs as one of two players in the NFL’s top 10 in both punt and kickoff return average.
* P Mitch Berger, a 16-year NFL veteran and two-time Pro Bowl choice, was signed on Monday. Since 1999, he ranks fifth in the league in gross (43.4 yds.) and net (36.6 yds.) punting average (min. 500 punts).

*All notes from DenverBroncos.com*

Denver Broncos

Brian Dawkins S Hamstring Probable

Ronald Fields &nbspT Hamstring Probable

Spencer Larsen LB Shoulder Probable

Baltimore

Jared Gaither T Neck Questionable

Joe Flacco QB Ankle Probable

Tavares Gooden LB Head Probable

Steven Hauschka K R. Ankle Probable

Jarret Johnson LB Shoulder Probable

Ed Reed S Illness Probable

David Tyree WR Hamstring Probable

All injuries as of 11/01/09

“All Ready”- Darrent Williams

"I take care of myself,I don't damage my body from within. I don't drink or do all those other things. Watch what I eat. I challenge myself with the offseason workouts. And I don't leave here every day until I'm done preparing myself for the next battle." – Brian Dawkins

"(Baltimore) is a very talented team. (They are) tough, physical and in many ways similar to the style that we are trying to play with in terms of being physical. Offensively, (they) make a lot of big plays (and) make a lot of big plays in the passing game. They have a lot of good receivers for (Baltimore QB Joe) Flacco to throw to. Watching him last year, this year he has really done a nice job of developing into a guy that can read the field, understand coverages and attack the weaknesses of your defense many times. He has got a great back, (Baltimore RB Ray) Rice, that leads the league in yards from scrimmage, leads the league in yards after catch, leads their team in receptions, rushing yards and averages six yards a carry. (He is) very difficult to bring to the ground and tackle. Then, (Baltimore RB Willis) McGahee is kind of a nice one-two punch."–Josh McDaniels

"Brandon Marshall has made some real big plays, plays the average receiver can't make" –Ray Lewis

"In that sense, 'surprise' is more reality,Because I didn't know what to expect. I'm still feeling my way, I still have a long way to go. But I've been getting some great coaching." -Elvis Dumervil

Last edited by 24champ; 11-01-2009 at 07:31 AM..
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Sorry if I made any mistakes...I'm pretty much drunk right now. haha.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
Alleged Triggerman
Rigger!

Evolving.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

1st.
Alleged Triggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
broncoblue
english not british!!

go broncos
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
BossChief
not a troll

not a troll

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Very good test to see if they really have "arrived" or if a team like Baltimore shows on tape how to beat em. Should be a very good game. Baltimore is a beatable squad, but it will take a couple lucky plays ad no mistakes and that has been in you guys favor all year so far. Just ask BS...I mean Brandon Stokley.

It was a nice run, but I think it may end today.

Ravens 27 Denver 24
BossChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Yep, but Cincinnati put up 5 TD's on Chicago and only one on our defense. Denver wins this game going away....
Denver 31
Ravens 17
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:39 AM   #8
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Champ gets a pick today.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Well, for one, we're not playing the Raiders.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
iDENVER
Seasoned Veteran

-BroNcOs-

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

just threw on my dawkins jersey and now i am about to head to the stadium.. lets go denver
iDENVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #11
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Hopefully the field has good drainage system, because it been steady rain all night in the DC area.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

record against the ravens 3-3
points scored 112
points against 127
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:18 AM   #13
Cleo McDowell
underrated.

the sunday night / am routine, waiting for kickoff at the neighborhood internet cafe here in Seoul. kickoff cannot come close enough, and i believe i must now wait one hour longer because of daylight savings.. grrr.

btw, anyone have a good link for the game?
Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #14
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjackson View Post
^^
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Seems like each week our opponent gets tougher and tougher This is definitely our stiffest test to date. I don't even want to predict a score on this one. This is a game that I thought we would lose but I now think we got a real good chance to win. This will truly be a defining game for you new Denver Broncos.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #16
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Despite owning an undefeated record, the Denver Broncos find themselves as underdogs this Sunday when they travel to M&T Bank Stadium to play the Baltimore Ravens.
Bet NFL Week 8
The Broncos had last week off, but beat 34-23 on Monday night in Week 6. In that game, Kyle Orton was 20-of-29 for 227 yards and two touchdowns in the win as Denver covered as 4-point underdogs.
The Ravens also had last week off, but lost to the Vikings 33-31 in Week 6 as 3-point underdogs. Joe Flacco threw for 385 yards and two touchdowns, while Ray Rice rushed for 77 yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries. Rice also caught 10 passes for 117 yards in the loss.
Oddsmakers from online sports book SBGGLOBAL.com have made the Ravens 3-point home favorites over the Broncos in Week 8. The over/under total for this game has been set at 42 points.
With the way they’ve played this season, it’s hard to go against the 6-0 Broncos – especially considering that they’re coming off a bye and getting points in this matchup. But this is a situation where the bye could actually hurt the Broncos, because it ruins all the momentum they had going into the off week.
The Ravens have lost three straight, but they should actually benefit from the bye because it gave them a chance to go back to the drawing board. Baltimore played extremely well offensively in the fourth quarter of its loss to Minnesota, so hopefully the coaching staff noticed some things that will work against Denver as well.
This is actually a better matchup for Baltimore than most people think. The Ravens’ pass defense has been horrible all season, but the Broncos don’t really have a potent passing game to take advantage of Baltimore’s weakness. We think Ray Lewis and the Ravens’ defense will play inspired coming out of the bye and Baltimore will get a huge win.
Our NFL Week 8 Free Pick for this matchup is: BALTIMORE RAVENS -3 and UNDER 42.
Broncos at Ravens Current Odds
207 Denver Broncos +3 Over 42
208 Baltimore Ravens –3 Under 42
NFL Week 8 Betting Trends
Denver is 6-3 ATS in its last 9 games when playing on the road against Baltimore
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Denver's last 7 games when playing on the road against Baltimore
Baltimore is 6-2 ATS in its last 8 games at home
Baltimore is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games at home
NFL Week 8 Injury Report
DENVER
[LB] 08/05/2009 - Nick Greisen IR ( Knee )
[LB] 09/27/2009 - Spencer Larsen "?" Sunday vs. Dallas ( Shoulder )
[DT] 08/23/2009 - J'vonne Parker IR ( Knee )
[CB] 10/02/2009 - Alphonso Smith is downgraded to doubtful Sunday vs. Dallas ( Ankle )
[OT] 09/28/2009 - Ryan Harris injured last game, "?" Sunday vs. Dallas ( Shoulder )
[OG] 10/02/2009 - Ben Hamilton is downgraded to doubtful Sunday vs. Dallas ( Hamstring )
[WR] 10/03/2009 - Brandon Stokley "?" Sunday vs. Dallas ( Thigh )
BALTIMORE
[OT] 08/04/2009 - Adam Terry IR ( Knee )
[CB] 08/31/2009 - Samari Rolle is expected to miss at least the first 6 weeks of the regular season ( Neck )
[WR] 08/14/2009 - Marcus Smith IR ( ACL )
[DL] 08/15/2009 - Lamar Divens IR ( Hip )
[LB] 09/06/2009 - Jason Phillips IR ( Knee )
[DE] 10/02/2009 - Trevor Pryce is upgraded to probable Sunday vs. New England ( Illness )
[LB] 09/30/2009 - Jarret Johnson probable Sunday vs. New England ( Shoulder )
[TE] 09/30/2009 - Todd Heap probable Sunday vs. New England ( Back )
[LB] 09/30/2009 - Ray Lewis probable Sunday vs. New England ( Concussion )
[
Old 11-01-2009, 05:57 AM   #17
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

GAME SNAPSHOT
KICKOFF: Sunday, 1:00 ET
GAMEDATE: 11/01/09
SURFACE: Sportexe Momentum
TV: CBS (Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf)
SERIES: 7th regular-season meeting. Series tied 3-3. The Broncos won the last meeting, 13-3, in 2006. The Ravens have the biggest win, a playoff win in 2000. That was Baltimore's first playoff game that season, and the Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl.

PREDICTION: Broncos 19-16

KEYS TO THE GAME: The Broncos' transition to the 3-4 defense has gone smoother than anyone could have imagined, and it starts with a swarming run defense allowing just 79.7 yards per game. And Baltimore must build a lead because Denver has allowed just 10 second-half points all season. The Ravens need to match the Broncos' intensity on both sides of the ball. Defensive coordinator Greg Mattison's unit has given up consecutive 100-yard rushers. If Denver is able to run the ball effectively, QB Kyle Orton has proven to be very efficient and will methodically pick apart Baltimore's subpar secondary.

FAST FACTS: The Ravens' three losses have come by a combined 11 points. ... Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil has 10 sacks. The only player in NFL history with more through six games was the Giants' Michael Strahan (10.5) in 2001.

PERSONNEL NEWS
Broncos:
--NT Ronald Fields returned to practice after missing Wednesday's session with a hamstring injury. Fields has been playing at a high level in the middle of Denver's improved run defense.

--LB Spencer Larsen continues to practice in full. He is on track to play Sunday, which would be his first game this season. He has had a shoulder injury.

--S Brian Dawkins has been limited in practice with a hamstring injury. Dawkins won't miss this week's game, but the team will take measures to keep him fresh during the season.

--WR Eddie Royal is the AFC special teams player of the month, but he won't be Denver's only returner. The coaches will rotate other players in occasionally when Royal needs a rest, so he doesn't get worn down.

--K Matt Prater shouldn't have a problem adjusting to new holder Mitch Berger, who was signed this week to be Denver's new punter. Prater has kicked well this year so there's some concern a change would throw him off, but Prater, Berger and long-snapper Lonie Paxton have put in extra work to get their timing down, and Berger has been a good holder in his career.

Ravens:
--OT Jared Gaither seemed to have a setback and could be a game-time decision Sunday with a neck injury. He had a full practice Wednesday but then missed Thursday's workout. He wore a red jersey (which signifies no contact) during the media viewing portion. If Gaither can't play, Michael Oher will start a third straight game at left tackle and Marshal Yanda will start at right tackle.

--OT Michael Oher could start a third straight game at left tackle if Jared Gaither (neck) is sidelined again. Gaither missed practice Thursday after having a full practice Wednesday.

--LB Tavares Gooden was limited in practice Thursday with a head injury but should start Sunday. Concussions are becoming a trend for Gooden this season.

--OLB Jarret Johnson had full practices all week with a shoulder injury. He has been dealing with the same shoulder injury for the past three weeks. He has yet to miss a game because of that injury.

--QB Joe Flacco is expected to start but he has been listed with an ankle injury all week. He has yet to miss a practice this week but his scrambling ability could be limited.

--FS Ed Reed had a full practice Thursday after missing Wednesday with an illness. He is expected to start.

INSIDE THE CAMPS
Broncos:
There is a lot of respect for the Ravens coming out of Denver, starting with the Broncos' head coach.

Coach Josh McDaniels wants his team to be tough, physical and smart. Although plenty of what McDaniels has brought to Denver is from his time with New England, he said this week that the Ravens are another team the Broncos want to be like.

"Our group is new, and we are trying to play that way," McDaniels said. "I think they've played that way for awhile. This is a team that has had a lot of success, has a lot of great football players, great organization, great coaching staff."

The Broncos play at Baltimore on Sunday. They have the second ranked defense in the NFL, and the Ravens have long prided themselves on a strong defense. The Broncos realize they have to have some longevity at the top of the rankings before they can be considered in a class with the Ravens.

"They have done it for a lot longer than we have in terms of us talking about it as much with the new group," McDaniels said.

One of the reasons the Ravens have been so good on defense for so long is safety Ed Reed. The Broncos will be well aware of him this week. Quarterback Kyle Orton said Reed is the first player he'll be looking for at the line of scrimmage, but his freelance skills still make it tough to avoid him.

"Just because you see 10 guys doing one thing, it doesn't mean he's going to fall in line," Orton said. "It's unorthodox."

Ravens:
When the Ravens look to en
d their three-game losing streak to the unbeaten Denver Broncos on Sunday, Baltimore's defense is looking to avoid allowing a 100-yard rusher in three straight games for the first time ever with middle linebacker Ray Lewis in the lineup.

This has been a sudden change for the Ravens, who had the NFL's top-ranked run defense the first four weeks of the season. In fact, the Ravens hadn't allowed a 100-yard rusher since 2006.

But the one-time strength has become a concern for the Ravens. This doesn't happen with Lewis roaming the middle of the defense. Since 1999, the Ravens have given up 100 yards to 12 running backs in 140 games with Lewis in the middle of the defense (that's 8.5 percent of those games). In 26 games without Lewis, the defense has allowed six 100-yard rushers (that's 23 percent).

There has been increasing talk over the years that the 14-year veteran's game has declined.

Some say Lewis doesn't have the same speed. Others point to him getting blocked on more plays.

Still, there has been no one better at shutting down running backs over the past decade. From 1999 to 2008, the Ravens have ranked in the top eight in run defense in all but two seasons. It just happens that those two seasons (2002 and 2005) were the ones when he missed over half of the season with injuries.

With the Pro Bowl linebacker, the Ravens had two of the longest streaks of not allowing a 100-yard rusher of this era (46 games from 1998 to 2001 and 39 games from 2006 to '09).

That's why this recent lapse is so startling. Lewis has only given up 100-yard rushers in consecutive games one previous time. It came in the middle of the 1997 season against Pittsburgh's Jerome Bettis and Miami's Karim Abdul-Jabbar.

This time, it was Cincinnati's Cedric Benson and Minnesota's Adrian Peterson who accomplished the feat. Benson gained 120 yards because the Ravens over-pursued and didn't stay in their gaps. Peterson ran for 143 yards by breaking long runs (58 and 26 yards).

It's understandable how the Ravens could give up 100 yards to Benson, the NFL's leading rusher, and Peterson, who is generally regarded as the best running back in the league.

"Anybody can make a big deal about anything," Lewis said. "You go 39 straight games without seeing a 100-yard rusher, and you come back and give up two. It's the same thing. It's the same formula. Come back. Be who you're supposed to be. Make the tackle when you're supposed to make the tackle, and the game takes care of itself."

A better measure for where this run defense stands comes Sunday against Denver rookie running back Knowshon Moreno. He ranks 19th in the league with 63.5 rushing yards per game and is 35th with 3.8 yards per carry.

If the Ravens allow 100 yards to Mor
Old 11-01-2009, 06:10 AM   #18
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Broncos vs. Ravens Week 8 NFL Picks: The Baltimore Ravens will try to get back the groove after losing three straight games when they host the undefeated Denver Broncos at 1 PM ET. Baltimore (3-3) is coming off a 31-33 loss in a dogfight against Minnesota as +3 away underdogs. Denver (6-0) beat up on division foe San Diego last week in a 34-23 win as +3.5 away underdogs. Below is one of our free sports picks to help stack money into your betting account.

The Broncos vs. Ravens Week 8 NFL Picks NFL Betting Line is Baltimore -3.5 at Sportsbook.com.

Ravens Offense vs. Broncos Defense: Baltimore has a versatile offense with rifle-armed QB Joe Flacco (55 MPH Pass Speed = 95 MPH Fastball), shifty RB Ray Rice and a big O-line. The only thing that the Ravens 5th ranked offense lacks is a big-play wideout. Denver will counter with NFL’s league leading scoring defense that also leads the NFL in sacks. Broncos DE Elvis Dumervil is a monster off the edge that demands double-teams. The Broncos will have the edge against the passing game but the Ravens running attack led by Ray Rice has the edge on the ground. This match-up is even. Broncos vs. Ravens Week 8 NFL Picks NFL Betting Total is at 41.5 points.

Start NFL Football Betting with our Week 8 NFL Picks at Sportsbook.com and get a 50% Sign Up Bonus and $50 Free Bet!!

Broncos Offense vs. Ravens Defense: The Broncos like to dice opponents up in short bits with runs, screens and slants. Broncos QB Kyle Orton is an above-average NFL signal-caller that has some talented players at the skill positions in WR Brandon Marshall, TE Tony Scheffler and RB Knowshon Moreneo. Orton must beware of the human turnover machine that Baltimore possesses in safety Ed Reed. Reed makes game-changing plays week in and week out. Orton should have some success through the air against the Ravens other suspect DB’s but avoiding Ed Reed for four quarters is difficult. Even though the Baltimore Ravens 19th ranked defense is not the force field that they once were but they will have the edge here.

Free Sports Pick Intangibles: Denver is 6-2 ATS in their last 8 road games. Baltimore is 9-3 ATS in their last 12 home games. Baltimore is 11-4 ATS in their last 15 games against the AFC.

Free Sports Picks Play: Baltimore -3.5 (1 UNIT) NFL Betting Odds
Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #19
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #20
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
you listed the opponent as "Oakland Raiders (3-3)".
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #21
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:

Hey......what's with the Lippizaner in the "D" thinghy. Please make it go away!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #22
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

WHY did you post this thread? Don't you know the Purple pigeons are gonna beat the Broncos 112-1? There's no point, since we know the Broncs aren't legit...they need a ratbird team with three losses to prove their worth.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is a horrible fantasy football week for me, yet again. A lot of Broncos, Ravens, and players who have byes this week.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #24
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjackson View Post
Thank you kind sir.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #25
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

WHOOPTY WHOOP LETS GET THIS ****IN PARTY STARTED!!!!!!!!!!! Time to kick some dirty bird ASS

Lets go broncoooooooooooooos

Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote