The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default soooo........is Schef still peaved about the Cutler thing?

Just remembered how upset he was with the Broncos FO about trading his buddy and he wasn't exactly keeping it to himself. I remembered alot of guys here early on were saying he wanted to be traded along with Jay because he wasn't going to fit in here with McD.

My how things change. I'm sure he's as happy as can be now.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
soooo........is Schef still peaved about the Cutler thing?
Quote:
I'm sure he's as happy as can be now.
You went and did the whole thread yourself. Efficient.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Sometimes when you want to be traded, you get your wish and go to a team that sucks eggs. I would say that he is getting his touches lately and therefore is happy. Maybe winning these games has made him a happy camper. Seems the atmosphere is pretty good over at Broncos HQ. Maybe Fatsis can right an updated article from his out of date one bashing McDaniels.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

He was on Jim Rome the other day and said Jay was his best friend on the team and then rumors of him being on the trade block himself didn't help. It took him a little bit to get on board but he's all-in now.

paraphrased, but that was the gist.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
easymobee
mobile quarterback

22 for 218 : 5 TD's vs Chiefs

Takeo Spikes always wanted out of Cinci to go to a contender.

Gets traded to Buffalo literally 15 minutes before everyone realized Drew Bledsoe was actually an extra from Night of the Living Dead and not an actual star QB. Cincinatti didn't transform into SB contenders at that time, but they became somewhat legit with Carson Palmer and might have been just a little better with a star MLB.

Sometimes its best to stay put, or else you could end up living in Buffalo on a perpetual 4-12 team and a QB who sleeps standing up in a closet.

Last edited by easymobee; 10-31-2009 at 08:29 AM..
easymobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

honestly Scheff has probably moved on just because he took a good look at what a real QB was like, in the attitude and leadership department, and realized even though he and Jay were friends, Jay was not a good enough QB to allow him to screw up Scheff's career. so he shut his mouth bought into the system and moved on.

although i truly believe it won't matter this offseason because he won't be coming back to Denver.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

looks, McDaniel's system hasn't exactly been good for either Schef or for Hillis. The team, and the players might have been better off witha trade.

That being said, I am really hoping that McDaniel's saw what TOny could bring a couple of weeks ago, and decided to use the TE position as a offensive weapon, not just pass protection.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Cutler who?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Bronco Yoda

Looks to me like Shefs getting into the act. Now if only Hillis could...
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Just remembered how upset he was with the Broncos FO about trading his buddy and he wasn't exactly keeping it to himself. I remembered alot of guys here early on were saying he wanted to be traded along with Jay because he wasn't going to fit in here with McD.

My how things change. I'm sure he's as happy as can be now.
Have you not yet seen Schef's on the field behavior over the last 6 Games! Schef is happy the team is winning! and he enjoys just being around and apart of a winning environment.

But then again.......we haven't started talking about contracts and FA! thats always a wild card.

Schef, knows the NFL is a business, his concern I'm sure isn't about the Cutler trade.....he's probably thinking how contract talks will go come FA time....but thats aways down the road. Schef is more than likely just thinking about and focused with winning games.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
honestly Scheff has probably moved on just because he took a good look at what a real QB was like, in the attitude and leadership department, and realized even though he and Jay were friends, Jay was not a good enough QB to allow him to screw up Scheff's career. so he shut his mouth bought into the system and moved on.

although i truly believe it won't matter this offseason because he won't be coming back to Denver.
Schef probably stays put in Denver unless there are teams out there willing to bid for his services. But then again Schef maybe willing to go to a team with a more robust passing attack that features the TE alot like lets say the Saints.

I believe within McD's system, one reason the ball is spread around is to ensure when contract time comes around, players can't ask for or justify large signing bonuses and contracts based on their stats alone. This is one way to keep salaries down and structure contracts that are good for organization but not necessarily good for the players in regards to long term financial security for themselves and their families.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Schef probably stays put in Denver unless there are teams out there willing to bid for his services. But then again Schef maybe willing to go to a team with a more robust passing attack that features the TE alot like lets say the Saints.

I believe within McD's system, one reason the ball is spread around is to ensure when contract time comes around, players can't ask for or justify large signing bonuses and contracts based on their stats alone. This is one way to keep salaries down and structure contracts that are good for organization but not necessarily good for the players in regards to long term financial security for themselves and their families.
are you serious about the spreading the ball around to manipulate contracts. you have stooped to new level of stupidity. so, rather than spreading it around to prevent the defense from focusing on specific players in an effort to WIN, doing it to hold down players' contracts is another factor. wow ... talk about a new level of stupidity.
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
are you serious about the spreading the ball around to manipulate contracts. you have stooped to new level of stupidity. so, rather than spreading it around to prevent the defense from focusing on specific players in an effort to WIN, doing it to hold down players' contracts is another factor. wow ... talk about a new level of stupidity.
yeah.

I didn't think he could be any more stupid than he has shown...but color me surprised.

Rasta, it's time for you to go away for a while. Stupidity is contagious.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Scheffler's displeasure was pretty much blown out of proportion from what I can tell.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Well some people here are saying that Quinn was drafted to eventually replace Graham but then we are saying Shef won't be here next year? I don't see us getting rid of both players. There is a place for Schef on this team as long as he understands this is a team build to win and not a team where he might get some insane stats. We shall see.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #16
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Well some people here are saying that Quinn was drafted to eventually replace Graham but then we are saying Shef won't be here next year? I don't see us getting rid of both players. There is a place for Schef on this team as long as he understands this is a team build to win and not a team where he might get some insane stats. We shall see.
I don't see why we'd dump Scheffler. He fits this offense well and both he and Graham will likely stay, since New England used Watson and Graham together before he came here.

Quinn will likely spend most his time in goal line situations until Graham leaves or retires. By then, he should be ready to step into that void.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Scheffler is a nice player. He's come around to be a productive part of the offense.

That said, he's not a guy I'm going to lose sleep over. He's no Shannon Sharpe.

I'm glad he's doing his job, as he should be. Sounds like he's made the right choices.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Scheffler is a converted WR for those who don't know this. I'm sure there will be teams willing to pay for a top notch catching TE who based on what I understand is working hard to improve in blocking as much as possible.

Personally I don't want to lose him. His ability to line up as a WR and create mismatches is awesome. He's also a big red-zone target... outside of him and Marshall all we have left are a bunch of shorties... I guess Graham/Quinn are of ok size... still not much else.
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post

Yeah, Scheff is really happy with lower overall stats this year because no player ever cares about their stats. He and Cutler were on the same page and His stats were pretty good for a TE in the day.

The fact is, for his career, Scheffler has owned SD and brings a mismatch that they don't handle well. Look at his "stats" from the last three games against SD, which includes last year. Look even further back, when he was a rookie.

I'm certain that Josh saw the advantage too and bingo...Scheffler is catching the ball. Josh recognizes weakness and exploits it. You'll see it again in week 11, barring injury.

End of story.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #20
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

I would hope all players have some sense of loyalty to their teammates, although not as strong as to the team obv.

It seems the one way to be guaranteed to be hated by Bronco fans in the future is to be a current Bronco. Because unless one retires a Broncos, their spot under the bus is almost a guarantee.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

McD's system is not about making sure no one has the numbers necessary to ask for a mega deal, it is about always having someone open to keep drives alive.

but Scheff is one of the top receiving TEs in the league. if he hits the open market, he is going to have his pick of a number of teams that will try to get him.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
looks, McDaniel's system hasn't exactly been good for either Schef or for Hillis. The team, and the players might have been better off witha trade.

That being said, I am really hoping that McDaniel's saw what TOny could bring a couple of weeks ago, and decided to use the TE position as a offensive weapon, not just pass protection.
You do realize that you're comparing a guy who's actually done some pretty good work this season, in this offense, with a guy who doesn't know where the **** to lineup on the handful of plays he even gets in the game for right?

Hillis hasn't been good for Hillis, period. McDaniels' system is tailor-****ing-made for that guy and he perpetually ****s up when given chances. He should be battling Moreno for single back snaps but he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

And somehow a large portion of the OM is just so outright stupid that they can't realize it.

As for Scheffler, McDaniels had a TE as his leading receiver once in New England, Ben Watson, a guy with a very similar talent profile to Scheffler. Through six games Scheffler is has been more consistently targeted and thrown to than just about anyone on our team but Marshall. He dropped some gimmies early on (like a big gainer in the Cincy game). Now he and Orton are finding some chemistry and Scheff is putting up some numbers. Is he going to put up Shannon Sharpe numbers in this offense? Probably not, its a scheme designed to make use of at minimum five receiving targets (3 WRs, TE, RB) in a heavy mix. But he wasn't doing that before either, just putting up a huge yards per catch number. He can still do that and probably add quite a few more TDs to his stat sheet while he's at it. He fits, he's fitting right now, and his role is growing week to week.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #23
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
yeah.

I didn't think he could be any more stupid than he has shown...but color me surprised.

Rasta, it's time for you to go away for a while. Stupidity is contagious.
Okay Orangeblue and RMT "How about I "Color Both of you Idiots as WRONG!According to your Knuckle Dragging Logic, Rasta is stupid b/c you two Neanderthals say so and refuse to look at the BIG PICTURE! Yeah I gotcha!

Point is, the the scheme(s) of McDaniel's offense requires to spread the ball around is a brilliant scheme; b/c on the one hand it requires teams to plan to stop several players on Sunday is a positive advantage team and strategy wise. Stats and Pro Bowls appearances right now are how players are getting the big signing bonuses and contracts in the NFL.

Great stats and pro bowl appearances are the only leverage players and their agents take to management when contract talks and the FA season starts. And other teams active in the FA market will judge and grade a players value to their team and how much money they're willing to offer based on the most part on a players stats and pro bowl appearance(s).

This opens up the possibility that come contract time, management can say to the player(s) that they can't necessarily demand the salaries of the players with the top 5 stats are making. Under McD's system, Bronco players won't have those stats and pro bowl appearance(s) to bring to bargaining table b/c the ball is spread around so much.

Should Bronco management use this ploy, it could back fire or become a double edge sword that management can use during negotiation time. And some Bronco players will need to decide on getting the big contracts or just be satisfied about winning. Of course the players will want to get paid the same salaries of their peers, win games, and secure they're financial FUTURE.

Players need to remember that they have value to the Team and fans so long as they STAY HEALTHY!!! Their goals should be to make as much money as possible b/c when the CHEERING stops (and it will) they're bodies are broken and face long term and life long disability, financial security will sure go along way.

Remember, the stories of "Where Are They Now" which depicts the
misfortunes of thousands of NFL players from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's who have fallen upon bad or debilitating circumstances and its due mainly to finances!

Players in the 21st Century will need to become students of history when it comes to players and management relationship when it comes to salaries.........plain and simple or the 21st Century NFL players will become featured guess on the "Where Are They Now".....documentaries.

So ya see "RMT & OrangeBLUE" this story is a little more in depth than the sound byte reponse both of you gave.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #24
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
I believe within McD's system, one reason the ball is spread around is to ensure when contract time comes around, players can't ask for or justify large signing bonuses and contracts based on their stats alone.
Got Superstars on Your Team? Great. Just Donít Pay Them Like Superstars.
This article expalins a lot ............
http://www.bnet.com/2403-13059_23-344823.html
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #25
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
Amen brother!
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote