The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Sporting News: Are unbeaten Broncos for real? We'll find out soon enough

Quote:
10-Pack: Are unbeaten Broncos for real? We'll find out soon enough

Friday, Oct. 30, 2009 - 9:25 a.m. ET
ProFootballTalk.com's Mike Florio weighs in on the biggest story lines of Week 8

1. Broncos face their biggest test yet

After the Broncos won their first three games, each week brought a new opportunity for the team to prove its legitimacy.

First, it was the Cowboys. The Broncos came from behind to secure the win, and then they held off Tony Romo and company.

Coach Josh McDaniels and quarterback Kyle Orton have the Broncos at 6-0 on the season.Next, the Patriots came to town. Once again, the Broncos found a way to nail down the victory after falling behind.

Many thought the Broncos stood little chance in San Diego, given that the home team had its back pressed firmly against the wall. And yet Denver found a way to cram a foot between the wall and the Chargers' collective rear ends.

So now the 6-0 Broncos face the Ravens in Baltimore. This 3-3 team easily could be undefeated, and the Ravens suddenly need to get a win or face a difficult climb back to the playoffs.

Bottom line? If the Broncos can win this one — essentially a playoff game for the Ravens — then Denver really is for real.

And then they'll get to prove that they're for real once again the following Monday night against the Steelers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...ut-soon-enough

forgot to add this gem:
Quote:
8. Critical condition in Chicago
The Bears have plunged from 3-1 to 3-3, punctuated by a 35-point blowout by the Bengals.

The offense and defense aren't getting it done and the coaching staff is catching the heat.

It will go from really bad to incredibly horrible if the Bears find a way to blow it on Sunday at home against the Browns. Though highly unlikely given the funk in which the Browns have resided for most of the year, Cleveland gave the Bengals a pretty good game.

And that's a lot more than the Bears can say for themselves.

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 10-30-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Why cant we be for real even if we lose? my god
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

So if we beat the Ravens we are legit. Presumably that means the Ravens, who have lost three in a row, are legit. But if we lose to them we are not legit?

This angle is so played out it's really just comical at this point.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Why can't we be for real after beating the teams we have. Someone else will write the same story about us next week when we play the squeelers.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This is the same song and dance we heard before the Dallas game, then suddenly Dallas wasn't good enough despite dismantling some good teams since then.

We then heard it with New England, but after we won that one suddenly Brady wasn't over his injury and the Patriots defense wasn't good enough, despite Brady scoring 5 TDs for a record in a single quarter the week after we beat up on them and the defense letting in less than 10 points in the last 8 quarters of football.

Then it was San Diego, they were desperate and it was away and in prime time when Rivers was undefeated. We beat the poo out of them, but of course they were only the 2-3 Chargers who really aren't that good.

Now we have to beat the Ravens to prove that all those wins over teams ranked in the top 10 in numerous power rankings wasn't an accident. I bet you we will hear the same thing repeated if we beat the Ravens, they are wounded, they are not as good as some expected.

Hell, if we go 15-0 we are going to hear the exact same song and dance before the last game.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Really, really for reals?
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Sir_Robin
Veteran Armor Soiler

Bravely taking to his feet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&blue View Post
Lol. I see you found that line funny too. I was going to say we couldn't really be considered real until we really really bet the really real Ravens. Then we can be certain we are really real. Really.
Sir_Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Robin View Post
Lol. I see you found that line funny too. I was going to say we couldn't really be considered real until we really really bet the really real Ravens. Then we can be certain we are really real. Really.
When danger reared its ugly head
he bravely turned his tail and fled
brave brave brave
brave Sir Robin

Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
thank you...

it's so ridiculous...we've beaten Cincy,Dal,NE, & SD but we must win this week to be for real?....isn't that what we had to do against Dal, then NE, then SD?...

can we actually lose to a team and still be for real?...

when are we allowed to lose and still be considered for real?...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGcver2ver3 View Post
thank you...

it's so ridiculous...we've beaten Cincy,Dal,NE, & SD but we must win this week to be for real?....isn't that what we had to do against Dal, then NE, then SD?...

No. We lose, and you will hear, well, the Broncos are not that good, they lost...once...where they were not favored...at someone else's house. Its stupid.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Hopefully after the AFC Championship Game they'll still be asking the question. "If the Broncos win the Super Bowl on Sunday then they are definitely for real. Unless, of course, they lose their first pre season game next year..."
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGcver2ver3 View Post
thank you...

We still have to prove we are real, then once that happens we can talk about whether or not we get to keep our real. I guess it would depend on the realness of the team that beats us, if they are even in fact real.

Stupid question - do they factor realness into the division tie breakers? **** SD beats us out there.

Last edited by Ambiguous; 10-30-2009 at 03:37 PM..
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&blue View Post
True
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Regardless of what happens this week, I see the Pittstain Steelers coming off a bye week at 5-2 and them being favored because of it. Someone will write "although this is in Denver on Monday night football, the 5-2 Steeler are feeling more pressure to win to keep there head above water in the AFC North Playoff hunt with Cincinatti leading the division 6-2 (having just defeated the Ravens). The Steelers come into this game wanting it more than the Broncos. Seeing as the Steelers are coming off a bye week and have gotten healthier, they are favored by 3.5 over the Broncos. This may be the first game where we start to see the glue thats gotten the Broncos this far start to fall apart, and we will see the real Broncos. Watch for Big Ben to go big! "
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

For real, for real, for real, we'll be hearing that all season!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The 2009 Broncos just could be the 2000 version of the Baltimore Ravens. I don't want us to carry the jinx of going undefeated into the post season. Therefore 4 or 2 loses would be fine with me or going 12-4 or 14-2 and ending the year and going 4 or 3-0 in the playoffs.

Key here is Denver has got to avoid the injuries to key/core players on both side of the ball. Defense wins championships this time around. Question is, can the Defense hold up over the 13 games for McDaniel's Miracle season to end in a SB victory!! Never say Never b/c it can happen....just ask the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #17
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Hopefully after the AFC Championship Game they'll still be asking the question. "If the Broncos win the Super Bowl on Sunday then they are definitely for real. Unless, of course, they lose their first pre season game next year..."
If we win the AFC west title or win 11 plus game........the Broncos are for real.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
The 2009 Broncos just could be the 2000 version of the Baltimore Ravens. I don't want us to carry the jinx of going undefeated into the post season. Therefore 4 or 2 loses would be fine with me or going 12-4 or 14-2 and ending the year and going 4 or 3-0 in the playoffs.

Key here is Denver has got to avoid the injuries to key/core players on both side of the ball. Defense wins championships this time around. Question is, can the Defense hold up over the 13 games for McDaniel's Miracle season to end in a SB victory!! Never say Never b/c it can happen....just ask the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.
I still don't think the 2000 Baltimore Ravens were for real. They showed us who they really were in 2001.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
extralife
Ring of Famer

The talk isn't going to go away until we make noise in the playoffs, and I don't know that it should.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'm happy to keep flying under the radar. I hope we end up as the worst Superbowl Champion ever! I'll take that any day.
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

What exactly does "for real" mean, anyway? The opposite of "bad but lucky?" "Bad but really lucky?" Bad but really, really, really lucky?"
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Why can't we be for real after beating the teams we have. Someone else will write the same story about us next week when we play the squeelers.
That was my thought, too.

What team is "for real" right now?

Indy? Who have they played?

New Orleans? Probably, but they were beat last week by a Miami team that's good, but not world-beaters.

NYG? Not after the past couple of games.

Pittsburgh? Good, maybe great. Not unbeatable.

What team represents this brass-ring of "for real" that we keep hearing about? I'm not saying we've "arrived," but we may lose this weekend... and still wind up in contention.

It's fair to say that this is a greatly improved team that's going to be competitive, and probably all season. We'll know who's "for real" in late December.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think most people see Broncos as for real in terms that this will most likely be a playoff team, probably division winner.

But we win a couple more in row it will be more like this team for to win it all period.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #24
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBronco View Post
I'm happy to keep flying under the radar. I hope we end up as the worst Superbowl Champion ever! I'll take that any day.
I'd say the 06 Colts own that honor.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #25
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
The talk isn't going to go away until we make noise in the playoffs, and I don't know that it should.
We are fighting a significant number of understandable perceptions

1. Our team has started well and folded in the last few years coming down the stretch.

2. I like what I have seen in Orton. However, in the back of my mind, I still remember the preseason performance. Is the carriage going to turn into a pumpkin.

3. We are not located in the East. People don't know us and they don't like us because we are not one of THEM.

4. Our defense sucked last year. People can't believe we REALLY have improved this unit, this quickly. Again, the carriage or the pumpkin.

5. Are we really that tough physically We have shown signs thus far but we are playing the Ravens this week. No matter how good a team Baltimore has been year in and year out, they will come and test your mettle physically. I have seen the Broncos in past years just melt when they have played the Ravens or Indy. I personally am looking at this team this week for strength of character.

Denver fans will ALWAYS have to fight the eastern bias, so don't let the media guys bother you. They were not willing to admit the Broncos were a very good team in 98 until Favre threw the last incompletion in SB32.

It is an absolute travesty that Little, Gradishar and Louis Wright are not in the Hall of Fame. Dave Logan (Cleveland Browns) has admitted after playing 2 games each year against Mel Blount of Pittsburgh, that Louis Wright was as good a CB. He didn't play in the east, he didn't play for a SB winner and he was a quiet leader. Thus, no recognition from the idiots on the east coast.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote