The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should the NFL expand into Europe?
Yes 8 12.31%
No 48 73.85%
Maybe 7 10.77%
Sure. I'm Europe's mentor... 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Default NFL expanding to Europe?

Poll to follow...

Was watching inside the NFL, they had a segment on college football in Mexico, and a team that has won 5 straight titles. 8 of those players received invites to NFL teams for tryouts.

After the segment, the panel was talking about the NFL expanding over to London, and possibly a second European city.

I dont think that would work, but wanted to know the board's thoughts.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

The only place in Europe that had any sustained interest in American football was Germany.....why the NFL seemingly insists on the UK over Deutchland is a bit of a headscratcher given the results of the whole NFL Eurpoa thing.

They're better off absorbing the CFL IMHO than going to Europe.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I voted yes because no date was given in the question. At some point I think expanding to Europe is a great idea. I'd love to see another European league. I think first they need to create a viable minor league and then work on expanding into Canada and Mexico. Keep having games in Europe to boost interest and then eventually start developmental leagues over there. It will take time but it will happen.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I voted yes because no date was given in the question. At some point I think expanding to Europe is a great idea. I'd love to see another European league.
Another German league you mean
Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Another German league you mean
Well you gotta start somewhere, and obviously Germany has the demand, but I think in time other European countries would accept a minor football league.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Put a team in Toronto and another in Mexico City first.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #7
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

No way in hell.

It's already ridiculous they play regular season games in London.
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

**** flying and getting an upwards of 8-9 hour time shifts to play games.

If the NFL wants European teams here's an idea... MAKE A ****ING EUROPEAN NFL LEAGUE.

Oh wait... what happened to NFL Europe.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

It's American football
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

forget that it is an american sport, think of the logistics involved, its ridiculous. if they want an NFL league they need to make one, just like basketball did.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I voted yes because no date was given in the question. At some point I think expanding to Europe is a great idea. I'd love to see another European league. I think first they need to create a viable minor league and then work on expanding into Canada and Mexico. Keep having games in Europe to boost interest and then eventually start developmental leagues over there. It will take time but it will happen.
Any time they've tried to set up minor leagues over here they fail.

Soccer is too popular, the majority of people in the UK view football as a crappy version of rugby, only with lots of breaks in the action and with players who are too soft to play without pads.

It's retarded, I know, but that's the view many people have.

The best young athletes are always going to end up playing soccer or rugby, or even cricket. The guys who'll take up football are the ones who basically aren't good enough to play any of those sports. Similiar to how it is in the US, people don't take up soccer unless they aren't good enough to make the football, basketball or baseball teams.

So, the minor league's over here will end up just being filled with American guys not good enough to play in the NFL. When people have the pinnacle of professional soccer available to them, what motivation is there to go and see a substandard football league?

Moving a full scale franchise to Europe is the only way that the sport has a chance to take off. People will be interested in seeing the best the sport has to offer, and if a team moved to London, for example, and did well then maybe it could take off.

I'd assume the reason that they're targetting the UK instead of Germany so much is a language thing, as much as anything.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

No, no, no and erm no.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:
The only place in Europe that had any sustained interest in American football was Germany.....why the NFL seemingly insists on the UK over Deutchland is a bit of a headscratcher given the results of the whole NFL Eurpoa thing.

And the only reason it is so popular in Germany is because of the American military presence and the number of Americans living there.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:

2nd class American Football.

Who on earth wants to watch practice squad players every week because at that given time that's exactly what those players were that played in that league.

If there isn't enough interest in the UK for a franchise how come a single game in the UK in terms of revenue brings in the same money for the NFL as say 5 Bills or 5 Jags home games
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Now if you put a franchise in Europe with Tom Brady at QB, Randy Moss at WR, Knowshon Moreno at RB, etc etc, you get the drift, you're guaranteed 100k a game for every single game. Fact and that's what the Goodell and the rest see. $$$$$
Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #16
Meck77

Now imagine being a season ticket holder and having a home game in Munich.

Come on man!
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #17
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

A league is not the way forward. They've tried that and it did not work. No-one is going to pay $200 a game to watch some CFB bum who didn't make the 53 in Kansas City and why should they.

The NFL want a European team, with NFL stars in it, to compete in the NFL against the likes of us Broncos and that IMO is an excellent idea and it will work, because not only is there a market, there's also a stadium that holds over 100,000 already there that's only used 10-12 times the rest of the year.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #18
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Now imagine being a season ticket holder and having a home game in Munich.

Come on man!
It would be a new franchise so why would you be buying a season ticket
Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #19
Dukes
Ring of Famer

It's not fair to the players. Absolutely NOT.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #20
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
It's not fair to the players. Absolutely NOT.
Be up to them wouldn't it. Plenty of sportsmen spend the majority of the playing season away from their families.

I'd say there's quite a few NFL stars would love to live in the bright lights of London.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

Because everything is in English there.

The CFL can't be absorbed by the NFL, the only team with any kind of hope is Toronto, the remaining teams can't raise enough money or build a big enough stadium.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #22
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post

Who on earth wants to watch practice squad players every week because at that given time that's exactly what those players were that played in that league.

If there isn't enough interest in the UK for a franchise how come a single game in the UK in terms of revenue brings in the same money for the NFL as say 5 Bills or 5 Jags home games
How do most colleges fill their stadiums every week? they play on an even lower level than many NFL Europe teams used to.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Be up to them wouldn't it. Plenty of sportsmen spend the majority of the playing season away from their families.

I'd say there's quite a few NFL stars would love to live in the bright lights of London.
is it fair to the players in london to have to travel whatever amount of hours to US, changing that many time zones 8 times per year? or for teams here to go there and play them when they are in central time (or whatever) and trying to adjust to the time change while the time in london is normal for them? thats whats not fair.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #24
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
And the only reason it is so popular in Germany is because of the American military presence and the number of Americans living there.
Doubtful. I went to some games and the percentage of military personel was tiny from my impressions.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #25
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:

That's a single game, which to any city without a franchsie would do very well on novelity factor alone, let's see them sustain that over a few years, especially ones with losing seasons and you'll have you're true determination.

Quote:

It was stated on NFL Countdown (I believe) that the majority of players do not like playing a regular season game overseas due to the long travel....take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
The CFL can't be absorbed by the NFL, the only team with any kind of hope is Toronto, the remaining teams can't raise enough money or build a big enough stadium.
I don't buy the $$$ reasoning due to the recent exchange rate bringing the loonie close to dollar value (and sometimes exceeding it). Of course places like Hamilton would be eliminated but Toronto (even though the dome is a bit too small for NFL type crowds), Montreal and Vancouver could support NFL franchises and may even be able to build new stadiums if such a merger took place.