The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Broncos VS Ravens Preview (bleacherreport)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ltimore-ravens

With the midway point of the season vastly approaching in the NFL, we are starting to realize who the contenders are and who the pretenders are. There are still three teams that are undefeated going into week eight and three teams that have yet to win a game as well.

A definite contender would have to be the Denver Broncos, who currently sit as one of the three unbeaten teams thus far. The Broncos have won some very close games this season beating the Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, and the San Diego Chargers last Monday night. The Broncos enter Week Eight with a record of 6-0 and lead the Chargers by three games in the AFC West.

Denver will try to keep up their winning ways in Week Eight when they travel to Baltimore to face the Ravens. Baltimore started off hot, winning their first three games, but since then they have cooled off losing their past three in heart breakers against New England, Cincinnati, and last week against the previously unbeaten Minnesota Vikings.

The Ravens were down big to the Vikings but managed to battle back taking the lead in the last few minutes. Minnesota drove down the field and kicked a field goal with just minutes remaining putting them in the lead by a score of 33-31.

The game wasn’t over, however, as Joe Flacco led the Ravens down the field putting them in field goal range to win the game in the last few seconds. Unfortunately for Baltimore, kicker Steve Hauschka missed the game winning field goal extending the Ravens losing streak to three.

Baltimore now sits at a mark of 3-3 coming off their bye week placing them third in the AFC North behind Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The Ravens will try to erase the label of pretenders and prove that they are contenders this season.

The Ravens are led by second-year quarterback Joe Flacco, who is proving to people that last year's great season was not a fluke. Flacco has a completion percentage of 64.4 percent and has thrown for 1,674 yards so far this season with 11 touchdowns and five interceptions.

Baltimore’s rushing attack is led by Ray Rice who has rushed for 441 yards with three touchdowns and Willis McGahee who has rushed for 202 yards with five touchdowns.

The Ravens receiving corps is also led by Ray Rice who has 33 receptions for 325 yards with a touchdown. Derrick Mason and Todd Heap have also contributed, with Mason catching 26 passes for 381 yards with three touchdowns while Heap has 24 receptions for 262 yards with two touchdowns.

The Baltimore defense is not what it used to be, but key players are still there like Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed. Lewis leads the defense in total tackles with 53 with the next closest being Suggs and Trevor Pryce each with 31 total tackles.

The sack leaders on the Ravens are Pryce and Jarret Johnson each with four, while Suggs is next in line with two sacks. In the interception department Dawan Landry and Ed Reed once again lead the team with two interceptions apiece with Reed returning one for a touchdown.

The Ravens have lost some key players on defense and are not the same powerhouse that they used to be.

On the other side of the ball, the Ravens have really never had an explosive offense before that could win them games. Baltimore has always relied on their defense to get the job done with their offense just managing the game.

It seems that has all changed as of this year as the offense of the Ravens is being relied on to score points and win games. The Ravens defense is not doing their job thus far and must step it up in order to beat the Broncos this week.

The Denver Broncos are the complete opposite of the Ravens this season so far as Denver has one of the best defenses in the league as well as a reliable offense led by quarterback Kyle Orton.

Orton was traded to the Broncos from the Chicago Bears for quarterback Jay Cutler at the beginning of the season. I would say that the Denver fans are pretty excited about their new quarterback being as the Broncos are undefeated and leading their division while the Bears are 3-3 sitting third in the NFC North.

Orton has thrown for 1,465 yards with a completion percentage of 63.9 percent so far this season with nine touchdowns and just one interception.

The Bronco running game is led by Knowshon Moreno who has rushed for 381 yards with a touchdown while Correll Buckhalter has also contributed rushing for 313 yards and a touchdown.

Denver’s receiving corps is led by Brandon Marshall who has caught 29 passes for 332 yards and four touchdowns. Jabar Gaffney and Tony Scheffler have also contributed as Gaffney has 18 receptions for 242 yards while Scheffler has 16 receptions for 217 yards and two touchdowns.

Eddie Royal is also proving to be a threat for Denver as he returned a kickoff and a punt return back for touchdowns last Monday night against the Chargers.

The Denver defense is one of the best, if not the best defense in the league so far this season. D.J. Williams leads the team with 46 total tackles, while Andra Davis and Brian Dawkins each have 38 total tackles. Elvis Dumervil leads the team in sacks with 10 while Darrell Reid is second on the team with three sacks.

Six players on the Denver defense have interceptions this season with Renaldo Hill, Andre Goodman, and Champ Bailey being some of them.

Denver has vastly improved their defense from last year and look to stay perfect against the Ravens this week.

In order for the Ravens to pull off the upset, they must be able to stop Denver’s offense and get some turnovers. Kyle Orton is one of the best quarterbacks in the league at not turning the ball over. Orton does not force the issue too many times during the game but if the Ravens can get consistent pressure on Orton throughout, Baltimore stands a much better chance in forcing Orton to make a mistake.

The Ravens must also be able to protect their quarterback Joe Flacco, as Denver has one of the best defenses in the league. Last Monday night, the Broncos defense sacked quarterback Philip Rivers five times, which was a career high for Rivers being sacked in a game. If the Ravens want to upset the Broncos they must be able to give Flacco enough time to find his receivers and move the ball down field.

Denver, on the other hand, must keep doing what they have been doing so far this season by playing good defense and keeping the turnovers to a minimum. As long as Denver keeps to their game plan they will beat the Ravens and remain undefeated.

My prediction for the game is that it will be a hard-fought matchup between two great teams, but the Ravens will knock off the Broncos in a very close game. I believe that Baltimore is in a must-win situation after losing three straight. They have to prove that they can compete with teams like Denver and win on a consistent basis.

Yet another pick for the opposing team based on a must win situation for them. Just because a team needs a win badly doesn't mean they are going to get it. We all know that so why is it so often used as criteria for rationalizing the choice? Go figure.

Last edited by ZONA; 10-27-2009 at 11:51 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Agree with the writer with regards to the must-win aspect for Baltimore. San Diego gave their best effort... it just wasn't good enough. I worry more about Baltimore's best effort. I've only watched them play a couple of times this year, but it's hard for me to believe that they're only .500.

We need to get to Flacco, regularly... and careful not to let Rice run wild on us. That little ****er can change a game in a hurry.

It's going to be a great game.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Agree with the writer with regards to the must-win aspect for Baltimore. San Diego gave their best effort... it just wasn't good enough. I worry more about Baltimore's best effort. I've only watched them play a couple of times this year, but it's hard for me to believe that they're only .500.

We need to get to Flacco, regularly... and careful not to let Rice run wild on us. That little ****er can change a game in a hurry.

Oh, I'm fine with people picking the Ravens to win. But don't pick them to win because they are in a "must win" situation or because "their backs are against the wall". If that were the case then the Titans would have a win by now. If you want to pick the Ravens, at least give a better explanation then they need the win more then the Broncos. The Broncos don't feel that way.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I think your going to see the Broncos force 3 or 4 turnovers and win this game easily. Flacco is a nice QB, but he can be forced into mistakes. The Bengals where very active up front and really got to him. I think we can (and will) do the same.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

I think this game will be one of the most interesting of the entire year. Both teams, coming off of byes, have a chance to change things up and create new situations. This could come down to who is the better coached team, and right now, Josh has given me no reason to doubt him. Though Baltimore is a very well coached team, if Josh has a good offensive plan, and we put some points on the board offensively, with time of possesion in our favor, I think we win.

I expect Baltimore to score some on us, as they practice against a similar defense to ours, and probably have a few tricks saved up.

Will be interesting..
UboBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I'm not worried about their defense, i'm more worried about Ray Rice - that kid is a stud. As you can see -he is also their leader in receptions. So far our LB's have done a good job of contending RB's out of the backfield, that needs to continue this week. Once Rice gets in the open field, he's extremely dangerous.

Contain Rice, and I think we win - after they drub us 92-3.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

I agree.....and as the article points out, their 3 losses were all "heart-breakers", all decided in the last minutes/seconds of the game. They are ONE Carson Palmer drive, one missed FG (vs. Minnesota), and a dropped pass (vs. New England) away from potentially being 6-0.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

I agree with this article. I watch Baltimore every weekend. They are a good team and have lost some squeakers to NE, Cincy, and Minnesota, three very good teams on par with Denver.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

"With the midway point of the season vastly approaching in the NFL,"

That's where I stopped reading.

The **** does it mean to be "vastly approaching"? Sweet christ on a cracker, that's retarded.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
"With the midway point of the season vastly approaching in the NFL,"

That's where I stopped reading.

The **** does it mean to be "vastly approaching"? Sweet christ on a cracker, that's retarded.
I think the author meant "fast approaching."

So much for proofreading by the writer.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I love this argument, I hear it again and again when people preview our games, a lot of the Baltimore fans have already used it this week:

If team X can get solid pressure on Orton.

When you stand behind Ryan Clady you are more likely to win the lottery than to face solid pressure. It is such a cliche and and it is such a stupid thing to say, no team we have faced in the last 20+ games has been able to get consistent pressure on our QB.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Pet peeve ...

This is about the umpteenth time in the past three or four weeks that I've seen someone talking about whether Denver's opponent can pull off an "upset."

Denver hasn't been favored in ANY of these games, nor are they favored this week. The Broncos are the ones who keep pulling the upsets.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Pet peeve ...

This is about the umpteenth time in the past three or four weeks that I've seen someone talking about whether Denver's opponent can pull off an "upset."

Denver hasn't been favored in ANY of these games, nor are they favored this week. The Broncos are the ones who keep pulling the upsets.
Agreed.

expect the same next week... it might be the last time we're underdogs until December 13.

Last edited by Irish Stout; 10-28-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

I wonder if Denver's luck will hold.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I wonder if Denver's luck will hold.
I'm going to sacrifice my neighbor's goat.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #16
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I'm going to sacrifice my neighbor's goat.
make sure to put the remaining blood on your neighbors door post as well as yours
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #17
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Flacco was awesome in his last game against the Vikings. Even with Allen in his face, and consistent pressure in the 2nd half he was delivering perfect strikes to his WRs.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote