The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Default OT - Video Card Question

Hey guys, sorry for the interruption. I need some advice. I want to upgrade my PC's video card but not sure which direction to go. I have an older motherboard with a PCI-E x16 slot (not 2.0). I currently have a GeForce 8600 GTS card in there. What would be an upgrade, if any, from that card?

Thanks!
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
Hey guys, sorry for the interruption. I need some advice. I want to upgrade my PC's video card but not sure which direction to go. I have an older motherboard with a PCI-E x16 slot (not 2.0). I currently have a GeForce 8600 GTS card in there. What would be an upgrade, if any, from that card?

Thanks!

You might be maxed out.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
You might be maxed out.
That's what I was afraid of!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Iam in the same boat with my AGP slots might be time to buy a new computer ( for me atleast) but wait for some others to post iam not positive about the maxed out part.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Hmmmm iam reading the 2.0 will work..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...card-available
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Hmmmm iam reading the 2.0 will work..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...card-available
Well, shoot! If I can run a 2.0 card, what would you recommend? What would be a significant step up?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Well, shoot! If I can run a 2.0 card, what would you recommend? What would be a significant step up?
ot sure

Not sure but it looks like you can move up whats your processor?..

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
ot sure

Not sure but it looks like you can move up whats your processor?..

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html
Intel Core2
6400 2.13 Ghz
Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Thanks!
Its time for more than a video card upgrade.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Intel Core2
6400 2.13 Ghz
Oh its definitely time for a full upgrade.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Here's what Im running, you need to get this:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz
8 GB Ram
Dual GEForce 9800 GTs with 512MB Each (Mem Clock: 900 Mhz, Shader Clock: 1500 MHz, Core Clock 600 MHz factory settings)
Water cooled.
64 bit architecture.

I got this for 1200 from Dell custom made. Since I had all the peripherals I just focused on the tower. No upgrading for a while.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

BS. Your processor is fine. You don't need a quad core. Most programs don't use more than 2 cores anyways.Is this vid card upgrade for gaming? if so what resolution is your monitor?
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Get a core i7 3.33 ghz gtx 295 you'll be set.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

If it were me I would wait a bit. Most of the games don't even support the new DirectX yet and I'm not even sure the newer cards have support for the newest DirectX. Might want to check into that. Plus, there should be some sweet deals around Christmas. DirectX 11 being released with Windows 7 so any of the games out right now won't support (take advantage of) this. I'm waiting until spring so they can work out all the kinks and more games will feature DirectX 11.

DirectX 11 features include:

Tessellation – Tessellation is implemented on the GPU to calculate a smoother curved surface resulting in more graphically detailed images, including more lifelike characters in the gaming worlds that you explore.

Multi-Threading – The ability to scale across multi-core CPUs will enable developers to take greater advantage of the power within multi-core CPUs. This results in faster framerates for games, while still supporting the increased visual detailing.

DirectCompute – Developers can utilize the power of discrete graphics cards to accelerate both gaming and non-gaming applications. This improves graphics, while also enabling players to accelerate everyday tasks, like video editing, on their Windows 7 PC.

While Windows 7 is fully compatible with games and hardware that use older versions of DirectX, the new DirectX 11 features are available with a DirectX 11 compatible graphics card and games designed to take advantage of this new technology

I'm guessing there are not many cards or games that feature it yet. Maybe only the most recent and top end cards.

Last edited by ZONA; 10-28-2009 at 12:31 AM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Radeon HD 5870: Review of the first DirectX 11 graphics card
DirectX 11, Eyefinity, 2.7 Teraflops - many keywords of AMD's new Radeon HD 5800 graphics card series have been known for weeks. PC Games Hardware checks if the surprisingly daring promises are kept and reveals which features make the Radeon HD 5870 the best card on the market.
Radeon HD 5870: Review of the first DirectX 11 graphics card

Radeon HD 5870: Review of the first DirectX 11 graphics card [Source: view picture gallery]

Have you ever dealt with a big challenge and it worked out faster and better than you have ever imagined? This is what AMD experiences at the moment if you believe in what the company says. The graphics section Ati already presents the first graphics card series which supports Microsoft's new API DirectX 11. So apparently AMD is winning the race for the first DX11 GPU after Nvidia had taken the lead in matters of DirectX 10 with the Geforce 8800 GTX back in 2006. The previous technology level, DirectX 9, was conquered by Ati in 2002 -with a huge advantage in time by the way. But being first is not everything - so what is the Radeon HD 5870 really capable of?

Radeon HD 5870 and HD 5850
Today Ati's Radeon HD 5800 series is launched with two graphics cards: The HD 5870 and the HD 5850. Although the specifications have been leaked to the Internet weeks ago, we nevertheless introduce the final versions again. Both, the Radeon HD 5870 and the smaller HD 5850, are fully compatible to DirectX 11 and have 1 GiByte of GDDR5 VRAM. Furthermore both cards are based on Ati's RV870 (codename "Cypress”), which is produced by TSMC in a 40 nanometer architecture. Although Cypress is only 338 square millimeters big it nevertheless consists of 2.15 billion transistors. For comparison: The RV790 (Radeon HD 4890) has only 959 million transistors. Even Nvidia's GT200(b) with its 1.4 billion circuits is beaten noticeably. With this budget Ati doesn't just implement DirectX 11, but also twice as much calculating units as in the HD 4870/4890.

The difference between the cards that are introduced today is primarily related to the calculation performance: While the HD 5870 has more than 1,600 shader and 80 texture units, the HD 5850 offers 1,440 respectively 72. The HD 5850 has lower clock speeds, too. Instead of 850/2,400 MHz (GPU/VRAM) it is running at 725/2,000 MHz. In theory those cuts limit the HD 5850 by about 20 percent in comparison to the HD 5870. Unfortunately we can't verify this thesis applies to games, too, since we don't have a sample of the HD 5850 yet. All our benchmarks deliver results for the HD 5870 in comparison to the rest of the graphics card market.

Quo vadis, Ati? Radeon HD 5870 X2, HD 5770 & Co.
According to AMD's plans the Radeon HD 5870 X2 is suppose to be released right in time for the Christmas trade. It will utilize two full RV870 chips which are running at the clock speeds of the HD 5850. Early the next year we will see "Juniper” and "Cedar” which bring DirectX 11 to the mainstream segment.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...-card/Reviews/
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You can run a 2.0 card, but it'll only run at 1.0 speeds (so if you get something with some nice DDR3 memory it won't do much of anything for you).

If you just want a bump in graphics performance I'd suggest getting a Geforce 8800 GTS or Radeon HD 3850, maybe a Radeon 4670 if you want a slightly cheaper option from them.

If your mobo is just running PCI 1.0 and you have a 2.13 Ghz dual core anything more than those would just be bottle-necking your performance at those hang ups.

Another thing to consider is the operating system you're running and how much ram you have. If you have 1.5 GB or less that is a higher priority than the graphics card, shoot for around 3 GB. If you have 3 GB or more though then you need to start thinking about your OS. If its a 32 bit version of XP or Vista (very likely) your system can not recognize more than 4 GB of total system memory, that means main system ram, video ram, even the small chips on your sound card and caches on the processors. It'll count up everything else and then just leave a section of your main system memory unrecognized.

There are workarounds, but the performance hit of the workaround almost negates any boost the additional ram will give you. So if you're around 3 GB of system memory feel free to look at 1 GB cards, but if you're any higher you'll just be eating away more system memory in exchange for video memory, at which point you're better getting a 512 MB card and using the savings on a faster processor.

Another thing to consider is your power supply. Some cards require a good deal more power than others. If you have anything less than a 480W power supply you might have a hard time powering a newer card. The Radeon 4670, HD 3850, and Geforce 8800 GTS should all world with something around what the Geforce 8600 works with, but going beyond that and you're again having to check to make sure other system components aren't going to throw up road blocks.

In short, if you want a system that can handle newer games on acceptable settings (i.e. comparable to a PS3 or 360) then a small upgrade is all you need, assuming your memory is up to snuff as well and you don't want super high resolutions.

But if you want to play games like Crysis with the settings topped or want future proofing for the next 2-3 years then you'll want a new rig entirely.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
You can run a 2.0 card, but it'll only run at 1.0 speeds (so if you get something with some nice DDR3 memory it won't do much of anything for you).

If you just want a bump in graphics performance I'd suggest getting a Geforce 8800 GTS or Radeon HD 3850, maybe a Radeon 4670 if you want a slightly cheaper option from them.

If your mobo is just running PCI 1.0 and you have a 2.13 Ghz dual core anything more than those would just be bottle-necking your performance at those hang ups.

Another thing to consider is the operating system you're running and how much ram you have. If you have 1.5 GB or less that is a higher priority than the graphics card, shoot for around 3 GB. If you have 3 GB or more though then you need to start thinking about your OS. If its a 32 bit version of XP or Vista (very likely) your system can not recognize more than 4 GB of total system memory, that means main system ram, video ram, even the small chips on your sound card and caches on the processors. It'll count up everything else and then just leave a section of your main system memory unrecognized.

There are workarounds, but the performance hit of the workaround almost negates any boost the additional ram will give you. So if you're around 3 GB of system memory feel free to look at 1 GB cards, but if you're any higher you'll just be eating away more system memory in exchange for video memory, at which point you're better getting a 512 MB card and using the savings on a faster processor.

Another thing to consider is your power supply. Some cards require a good deal more power than others. If you have anything less than a 480W power supply you might have a hard time powering a newer card. The Radeon 4670, HD 3850, and Geforce 8800 GTS should all world with something around what the Geforce 8600 works with, but going beyond that and you're again having to check to make sure other system components aren't going to throw up road blocks.

In short, if you want a system that can handle newer games on acceptable settings (i.e. comparable to a PS3 or 360) then a small upgrade is all you need, assuming your memory is up to snuff as well and you don't want super high resolutions.

But if you want to play games like Crysis with the settings topped or want future proofing for the next 2-3 years then you'll want a new rig entirely.
Very helpful! Many thanks!!

What's driving this is I'm torn between getting "Dragon Age Origins" for my PC or for my PS3. I'm more of a PC guy but am just sick of dropping hundreds into my PC every time a game comes out. If I can get by with the system I have by uping the video card, I'll do it. If not, I'll just run the game on my PS3.

Geforce 8800 GTS or Radeon HD 3850, huh?

PS. I ran Crysis on this machine when it first came out just fine. FallOut 3 was a dream. GTA4, however, had a few issues...ran choppy at times, had weird graphics quirks like textures disappearing for a bit.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
I had the same card as you.....the 8600 GTS. I recently upgraded to the 9800 GTX+.......WAAAAAAY better. And as long as I'm pimping......FALLOUT 3.....BEST GAME EVER !!
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Very helpful! Many thanks!!

What's driving this is I'm torn between getting "Dragon Age Origins" for my PC or for my PS3. I'm more of a PC guy but am just sick of dropping hundreds into my PC every time a game comes out. If I can get by with the system I have by uping the video card, I'll do it. If not, I'll just run the game on my PS3.

Geforce 8800 GTS or Radeon HD 3850, huh?

PS. I ran Crysis on this machine when it first came out just fine. FallOut 3 was a dream. GTA4, however, had a few issues...ran choppy at times, had weird graphics quirks like textures disappearing for a bit.
If you ran Crysis and Fallout 3 without a problem then it wasn't your system having issues with GTA4, it was the game itself (which was a glitchy game).

Here are the Dragon Age system requirements:
Windows XP Minimum Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
RAM: 1GB or more
Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater
RAM: 1.5 GB or more
Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

Recommended Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
AMD Phenom II X3 Triple-Core 2.8 GHz or greater
RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

So assuming you're running Vista (worst case scenario) your graphics card will still work fine. It might not run it quite as pretty as a PS3, but pretty damn close assuming you have 2 GB or more of system memory.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
If you ran Crysis and Fallout 3 without a problem then it wasn't your system having issues with GTA4, it was the game itself (which was a glitchy game).

Here are the Dragon Age system requirements:
Windows XP Minimum Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
RAM: 1GB or more
Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater
RAM: 1.5 GB or more
Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

Recommended Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
AMD Phenom II X3 Triple-Core 2.8 GHz or greater
RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

So assuming you're running Vista (worst case scenario) your graphics card will still work fine. It might not run it quite as pretty as a PS3, but pretty damn close assuming you have 2 GB or more of system memory.
Running XP with 2GB memory.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #21
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Get yourself an ATi 4890 1GB and you will be in dreamland. They can be had for under $200.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Running XP with 2GB memory.
You should be ok, probably get something comparable to what PS3 can do. If you want something better though get an extra GB of memory and a Radeon HD 3850 or Geforce 8800 GTS. All total it might run you $150 and it would make a big difference in overall system performance.

You go any higher up the ladder on graphics tech though and you'll be bottlenecking thanks to your CPU, PCIe slot speed, etc. and would be better off with a completely new rig.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Intel Core2
6400 2.13 Ghz
I'm not a gamer, but my E8400, 3.0 Ghz, is a screamer with 4GB.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #24
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

I'm doing Dragon Age on the PC just to recapture the nostalgia of Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale. Playing it on the TV wouldn't feel right.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote