The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default OT: watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Bye week is over a-hole get it off the main forum.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Conklin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
we have to wednesday, you don't have to be an ass cuz the jayhawks have lost two in a row
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Today is the last day If you don't like it don't watch it.

In fact let me save you some time don't watch it, if I know you will hate it.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

1:33 minutes of hippy agenda...

Impending crisis will force an environmental solution when necessary baja. We're gonna let all the foreigners die off before we fix the planet though.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Ya ignore the science just give me more of you butt yucking a lobster.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

I will just let me throw some more coal on the fire. Its damn cold here!
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

1:33 is what i saw and figured, do I want to watch something for 1 1/2 hours or post on the mane. I choose the later. I am going the route of "We arent failing the Earth, the Earth is failing us."
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Ya ignore the science just give me more of you butt * * * *.ing a lobster.
In no way shape or form does that ignore science in any way.

In fact, it's extremely supported by science that crisis is the mother of invention, and it's evolutionary to think that if we can't adapt to our changing environment then we don't deserve to live.

As for the global warming... we KNOW for a fact that global climate is cyclical, we don't know for a fact that pollution affects it. That's not down-playing the MANY negative effects pollution has on the planet.

Anyways, I'm just expressing my confidence in humanity to solve the problem before it hits a crisis level.

In all honesty, I do think it's semi-admirable of you to parrot the cause and even made drastic life changes to try and make a positive impact.

Personally, I'm not sure how it could be the US's responsibility to baby-sit ever other society on the planet and ensure they have food/clean drinking water/medicine etc, when their own leaders are generally more concerned about drug trade/diamonds/civil war/genocide/religious fundamentalism and more than providing their own people with a decent infrastructure.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Wait... what are you getting cranky at me for?

Have you watched the whole thing?

At 1:20 it gets INSANELY optimistic and complimentary of human's efforts...
Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Poor Baja.

SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Greybeard
Standing by my principles

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Wait... what are you getting cranky at me for?

Have you watched the whole thing?

At 1:20 it gets INSANELY optimistic and complimentary of human's efforts...
Baja simply has had a burr under his tail recently . . .

-----
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
anon
Seasoned Veteran

Our gov't is in many ways just as corrupt, depending on one's point of view. The "corruption" or obvious self-interest or whatever you want to call it is just wrapped in more palatable and politically correct packages. I suppose it's much easier to get righteous over "blood diamonds" than a former CEO of a defense corporation giving his old employer a big contract in a war that his administration started on false information, or the shameless ebb and flow of senior advisors between Wall Street and the Department of Treasury, or between industrial agriculture/big pharma and the FDA.

In some ways, our type of corruption is worse in that it appears to be systemic, can be difficult to define, and therefore difficult to stamp out.

Last edited by anon; 10-27-2009 at 04:22 PM..
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Jay Cutler's fault.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Oh no it's the end of the world! ZOMG!

This **** it stupid.

Typical hippy ****.

ZOMG we cause global warming?!?! ****ers don't take into account that other planets like Venus and Mars have also increased in global temperature due to the ****ING SUN. There's forces outside of this planet that can increase its temperature. The concept of global warming and getting so obsessive about it is just nothing more than a power play to push philosophical initiatives.

Humans think they're more powerful than they really are. So many with a "god" complex it's hilarious.

Should we try to be more clean in our daily lives, sure. Why shouldn't we? But, should we be overreacting idiots about it... NO!

TWELVE modern day Nuclear Power Planets could power the entire continental United States. The rods aren't even that big and could easily be stored in a safe facility that keeps the harmful radiation away from other humans, animals, nature etc.

Too bad we have so many tree hugging pussies in powerful places that would rather go for the vastly more inefficient and expensive rout.

A ton of this video is nothing more than a scare tactic and just another example of how pathetic the human race is.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 10-27-2009 at 04:37 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Our gov't is in many ways just as corrupt, depending on one's point of view. The "corruption" or obvious self-interest or whatever you want to call it is just wrapped in more palatable and politically correct packages. I suppose it's much easier to get righteous over "blood diamonds" than a former CEO of a defense corporation giving his old employer a big contract in a war that his administration started on false information, or the shameless ebb and flow of senior advisors between Wall Street and the Department of Treasury, or between industrial agriculture/big pharma and the FDA.

In some ways, our type of corruption is worse in that it appears to be systemic, can be difficult to define, and therefore difficult to stamp out.
I completely disagree with everything you've said.

Our corruption can't be worse considering the standard of living supplied to the people. If we were in a situation where clean drinking water was an epidemic in this nation, there would be hell to pay. We're not beaten down by corruption to the point where we're being gunned down by the government for criticism like is common practice is other places... so how you can claim that in some ways our corruption is worse is beyond me.

As for the war, this video makes the claim that it's the responsibility of the priviledged to assist creating a solid infrastructure for the less priviledged. Whether you feel the pretense for going to war was correct or not, that's exactly what has happened and is still happening. A genocidal dictator deposed and significant improvements in their sewage, water, electricity, etc.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

At least by reading this thread first I know I have zero desire to watch. Thanks.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Many claim an opinion about it

Did anybody actually watch it?

It's your home too.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #20
anon
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I completely disagree with everything you've said.

Our corruption can't be worse considering the standard of living supplied to the people. If we were in a situation where clean drinking water was an epidemic in this nation, there would be hell to pay. We're not beaten down by corruption to the point where we're being gunned down by the government for criticism like is common practice is other places... so how you can claim that in some ways our corruption is worse is beyond me.

As for the war, this video makes the claim that it's the responsibility of the priviledged to assist creating a solid infrastructure for the less priviledged. Whether you feel the pretense for going to war was correct or not, that's exactly what has happened and is still happening. A genocidal dictator deposed and significant improvements in their sewage, water, electricity, etc.
I only meant that it is a tougher kind of corruption to deal with, in that it's not as obvious as say, an official taking bribes, which is relatively easy to identify and stamp out. Comparing the standard of living in the richest country in the world to Third World countries that are just coming out of decades of civil warfare is really apples and oranges. Those countries have a different set of problems and we have ours. The fact is that throughout our history, there has existed a tension between what's good for industry and what's good for the public and those needs are often not aligned.

As for Iraq, Afghanistan, I agree on "what's done is done" and now we just have to figure out the best path. However, the fact remains that we went to war in Iraq over false information. You can argue that we ended up deposing a cruel dictator -- absolutely true. But there are many, many places where we could exercise our military might to improve the lives of others, but I don't think any of us are naive enough to believe that is ever the primary reason the U.S. takes to arms. To me, it's just a rationalization, a good one, but a rationalization and rather disingenuous.

As for "hell to pay," call me cynical, but I'm not really seeing it. How many times have the taxpayers had to bail out the financial industry in recent decades? But the industry up until now has been consistently deregulated. And even after this recent disaster, it's still not entirely clear if regulators are going to have more power or oversight.

Last edited by anon; 10-27-2009 at 04:56 PM..
Old 10-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

What would be the deference between a good rationalization and a bad one.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
I only meant that it is a tougher kind of corruption to deal with, in that it's not as obvious as say, an official taking bribes, which is relatively easy to identify and stamp out. Comparing the standard of living of the richest country in the world to Third World countries that are just coming out of decades of civil warfare is really apples and oranges. Those countries have a different set of problems and we have ours. The fact is that throughout our history, there has existed a tension between what's good for industry and what's good for the public and those needs are often not aligned.

As for Iraq, Afghanistan, I agree on "what's done is done" and now we just have to figure out the best path. However, the fact remains that we went to war in Iraq over false information. You can argue that we ended up deposing a cruel dictator -- absolutely true. But there are many, many places where we could exercise our military might to improve the lives of others, but I don't think any of us are naive enough to believe that is ever the primary reason the U.S. takes to arms. To me, it's just a rationalization, a good one, but a rationalization and rather disingenuous.
A lot more clear and agree-able here. I am genuinely curious why an honest approach wasn't taken with the American people. I think if the President had submitted his request for war and said, "This is what this monster is doing, this is what his kids are doing. On top of that, the entire region is unstable and it will allow us to secure a solid military foundation to head off any potential threats to national security." I find a hard time believing people would have a significant problem with that level of logic and honesty.

As for third world countries, it sucks but what can you do? We didn't start with any significant advantage over them. Sure we currently stand on the shoulders of genius and inventive minds that 99.99% of us don't deserve to reap the benefits from, but have these nations been so bereft of ingenuity and progress? Or maybe culturally they don't care? If that's the case, why are they tripping over themselves to kill each other now? And what more CAN we do? The US contributes more in aid to these people than every other nation on the planet combined a couple times over.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
anon
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
What would be the deference between a good rationalization and a bad one.
Well, strictly defined, a rationalization is just a reason constructed to justify a decision that was originally made for other motivations. So I suppose it depends on one's point of view: since we went to war on the premise of national security, some "bad" rationalizations ("bad" for specific individuals) might be defending Israel, stabilizing our oil supply, etc.

"Helping the Iraqi people" in its various forms ("Helping the children of Iraq", "helping the women of Iraq/Afghanistan") is a "good" rationalization in my mind because who can disagree with that agenda?

Last edited by anon; 10-27-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #24
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

so it is totally subjective?

If so a rationalization can be neither good nor bad but only a point of view?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
anon
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
so it is totally subjective?

If so a rationalization can be neither good nor bad but only a point of view?
To be clear, I didn't mean "good" or "bad" in the sense of "good" vs. "evil". I meant "good" as in "good idea." As in, if I were the White House Press Secretary, presenting the war in the context of "helping the Iraqi people" would probably be a "good" strategy.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at but I didn't mean to enter into a discussion on semantics. I'm sure the word "rationalization" is pretty heavily loaded depending on context, but I didn't mean to evoke anything beyond its common pop psychology definition.